Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

gucci void main posted:

as a cis privileged male i would like to be able to track my male pms

let me help you

"24/7"

there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
inverse teletubbies

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

quote:

I didn't want to write a book at first, but I accidentally found my story when she ran out of gas on the side of the highway one night.

Well, I wrote a book..... The Aggressively Submissive Hitch Hiker. And to be entirely honest I didn’t choose this story, it kind of crawled up my spine and squeezed me for answers.

I used to get a kick out of helping others on the random occasion someone would run a tire flat or something silly like that, it always felt amazing to lift a burden off of their shoulders. So when I saw someone walking away from their vehicle along the side of an interstate I consistently travel after work, I stopped to see what was up. She seemed like a nice person who simply mucked up and ran out of gas too…. So I felt bad for her and offered a ride. We even had a nice chat along the way.

I’m kind of a shmuck, so I dropped her off by her car and made sure she was rolling before I asked she take care and left. She tried to offer me some menial compensation but came to terms with the fact I was just happy she was safe pretty quickly. After smiling at me incessantly and expressing her gratitude we finally parted ways.

The unpleasant bit happened a little while later. I went to a coffee shop on my next day off and started reading my favorite news sites like usual. After a some time I started reading about my idol, Nikola Tesla, and a little later nature called. When I was in the bathroom I couldn’t help but to hear a conversation which addressed me, specific details about my life’s plan, and the situation a feminine voice was describing…. All things painted a picture of the night I found her.

I was excited at first. A random coincidence like that with a person who was actually fun to be around seemed like a blessing!

It wasn’t though… When I walked out into the lobby and took a gander around the store I didn’t recognize anyone in the store. It was rather disappointing to say the least. I had to check and double check every face there, but no one in the store acknowledged my existence.

I felt a little bit crazy at the time, I could have sworn I knew what I was hearing. But at the same time I knew for fact that every person in the store was a stranger. Naturally a state of confusion set in, and I quickly cowered behind the kindle I walked in with.

This is the element which followed me, the confusion is the only thing I can remember when this story crosses my mind, mainly because it is so redundant. Someone started following me from that point forward, and they were always a couple of steps ahead of me.

Time and time again my past follows me to coffee shop after coffee shop. Time and time it follows me to every restaurant I’ve ever been to. It may seem melodramatic, but I don’t know how else to say it. She always takes a passive aggressive approach instead of saying hello. A passive aggressive approach like hacking into my tablet and displaying a naked image of herself across my screen while she is just some thirty feet away from me in a Panera I’ve never been to before… Apparently she was becoming frustrated that I hadn't acknowledged her. And it always takes me by surprise after I've been there for an hour or two.

Normally the search for love is a healthy thing in one's life. It is closely correlated with the term "The pursuit of happiness." However this is a story of the extremes some will go to in order to find a mate. Even after I became unwilling she started to demand that I engage her. She started to follow me more frequently and showed up at store after store.

While I respect her right to the pursuit of happiness, following someone around in order to get to know them is too much for me in a romantic situation. My goal is to escape her grasp.... One way way or another.

My search for publication of this story is one option on the table. If I can find the right agent, I may be able not only to salvage my life but to do some good for this planet.

only one option for donations

quote:

Pledge $25 or more
Not only will you have my gratitude. I'll send you a signed copy of the novel. And you'll be aiding my effort to create the technology for the future of transportation when the world runs out of oil.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that's right, for the cost of a hard cover best seller written by a great author, you can have this poo poo i wrote that is gonna change the world

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

quote:

After a some time I started reading about my idol, Nikola Tesla,

v relevant and on topic, this is sure to be a well-written and edited masterpiece

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

hubris.height posted:

quote:

Time and time again my past follows me to coffee shop after coffee shop. Time and time it follows me to every restaurant I’ve ever been to. It may seem melodramatic, but I don’t know how else to say it. She always takes a passive aggressive approach instead of saying hello. A passive aggressive approach like hacking into my tablet and displaying a naked image of herself across my screen while she is just some thirty feet away from me in a Panera I’ve never been to before… Apparently she was becoming frustrated that I hadn't acknowledged her. And it always takes me by surprise after I've been there for an hour or two.

quote:

I don't know how she keeps finding me, but after trying to reason with her she became even more aggressive.... She went through my life, searched my home, and refused to let me go free. The only way she'll tell me what she wants is through direct commands like "Sex Jake! Sex!" from the other side of a new shop I went to in order to avoid her.

idgi, did this guy write this page as if he were his novel's protagonist, or is he actually claiming that this stuff took place.

either way... ugh.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

im the "By:" straight out of a 5th grade book report

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The very first time I've seen her, her car broke down on the side of the interstate.
The very first time I've seen her, her car broke down on the side of the interstate.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
dude reminds me of the person who makes those hilarious gang stalking comics

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

hubris.height posted:

therefore i feel like this kickstarter must be exploitative bullshit that seeks to take money from the emotionally vulnerable that run tumblrs talking about xheir gender identity.

i'm ok with this, i believe in the equality of everyone to be stupid and get scammed out of their money

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if they're dumb enough to try the rhythm method in the year 2013 i guess they deserve what they get

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

i thought the whole cycle thing was bullshit and youll still get pregnant any of those days

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Werthog 95 posted:

if they're dumb enough to try the rhythm method in the year 2013 i guess they deserve what they get

it would be awesome if your phone just kept yelling that stuff at you at top volume

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

i thought the whole cycle thing was bullshit and youll still get pregnant any of those days

i think they're covering their asses on that by saying "safer" which is even funnier

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

i'm not supporting any project that can't tell "its" from "it's" :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nah, there are certainly days (weeks) when it's impossible for a woman to conceive, it's just nigh-impossible to predict with perfect accuracy over a long-enough time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

goddamnedtwisto posted:

nah, there are certainly days (weeks) when it's impossible for a woman to conceive, it's just nigh-impossible to predict with perfect accuracy over a long-enough time

when in my presence women have a 100% chance of not conceiving

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

prefect posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

when in my presence women have a 100% chance of not conceiving

Petty Haberdasher
Jul 28, 2012

prefect posted:

Well they got one of them right, so that's something I guess. Maybe that's the stretch goal.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
i guess i'm a bit behind the times here but i never knew that menstrual cycle calculators could be sexist and anti-genderist or w/e

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Ripoff posted:

i guess i'm a bit behind the times here but i never knew that menstrual cycle calculators could be sexist and anti-genderist or w/e

this is for people who have vaginas but i guess break down in sobbing fits when an inanimate object assumes they're women

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

if you say the word "woman" to someone who is LGBTGTEIAKOMGWTFBBQ then in their eyes you are worse than hitler

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Looking into it, there are a lot of issues with MCALC. I understand that it was only supposed to be a small project, but the fact is that it spiralled into the spotlight and if you can’t handle it being that big, you should just drop it. You can’t blame your audience.
It seems like the dev team is striving to fix the issues, but I don’t like how they’re handling their critics. For example, saying these criticisms are "why more apps like this one don’t exist on the market".
Heck no. It is NOT the audience’s fault for calling you out when you make mistakes.
I understand completely that making fully inclusive apps/shows/games is HARD. It is VERY DIFFICULT. It is much, MUCH easier to make something that plays into cultural and social norms and appeases “the masses” while excluding the many real people who don’t fall into socially ideal categories. Because if you don’t care about those people, you can just ignore them.
But if you are striving to make something FOR those real people, you CAN’T ignore them. And that’s what makes it difficult. Because if you are claiming to make something inclusive, you have to MAKE IT inclusive, which means you have to listen to EVERYONE.
Because it is so difficult, if you don’t understand what you’re trying to do and mess it up (say, by defaulting to the assumption that everyone has penis-in-vagina sex), you are going to get called out on it (a lot, if it’s popular). And people are going to be understandably angry if you shout it from the rooftops that your app is gender-neutral when it’s really incredibly limited. And even if you’ve already said you’re going to change it, you do NOT have the right to get angry back at these people. Even if you’re going to change it, that doesn’t change the fact that you did something terribly assumptive and sexually-hetero-normative and then had the gall to call it gender-neutral.
The fact is that these people have to face people shaming their lives every day, and it’s even worse when someone pretends to praise them while still shaming them.
It’s great that your app is still in beta and you still have the ability, opportunity and drive to change it to be more inclusive. But you cannot complain about your own audience like this. That’s incredibly petty.
Gender queer people owe you absolutely nothing. If you can’t handle the pressure when you bullshit gender-neutrality, then give up and don’t make the app. Queerfolk don’t need some whiny white knight; they need someone who can stand up and take all the pressures they face every day. There are very few of those people, but if you aren’t one of them, please don’t pretend to be.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Also, another thing that bothers me about MCALC is that when they talk about adding their neutral option, they’ve said multiple times that it’s for “lesbians and asexuals”. That is NOT gender-neutral language!
Two people with vaginas who are doing-the-do are not necessarily lesbians! A lesbian is not necessarily someone with a vagina!
And an asexual is not necessarily someone who doesn’t have sex!
Here’s a fun exercise. Let’s break apart the two base cases of people who want to use your app: people who aren’t concerned about pregnancy (and just want to monitor their menstrual cycle), and people who are concerned about pregnancy. And let’s do it gender-neutrally. (Remember? That thing your app claims to be?)
People who are NOT concerned about personally becoming pregnant:
someone who is not having sex with another person
someone who does not possess ovaries/womb/etc. (not the target audience of this app, since it’s for menstruation)
someone with a vagina having sex with another person with a vagina - these could be lesbians, bisexuals, pansexuals, asexuals, women, transmen or gender queer individuals
someone with a vagina having sex with someone with a penis where the sex does NOT involve vaginal intercourse or the chance of fertilization (oral, anal, pegging, grinding, using hands, etc)
someone who is infertile (or their partner is)
People who ARE concerned about pregnancy:
someone with a vagina having vaginal intercourse with someone with a penis when both are fertile (they may both be lesbians if the person with a penis is a transwoman; one of them may be asexual because being asexual doesn’t mean they don’t have sex (it means they do not experience sexual attraction))
someone who may be concerned about rape
See? This is how difficult it is to be truly inclusive and gender-neutral. And there’s still a good chance I messed up and didn’t include some people.
If you are not 100% committed to being gender-neutral with EVERYTHING in your app, then you should not be making an app that claims to be gender-neutral. Alternately, you should get someone who is more sensitive about gender-neutrality on your dev team as a consultant.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just search for #mcalc on tumblr and educate urself

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Just over 90 minutes ago:

Since the rhythm method (one of the calculation we currently use) is not so effective when preventing unwanted pregnancies …

OMG, no, this is not neutral language! The rhythm method, with no consideration for ovulation or the luteal phase, fails for predicting menstruation in addition to also being unreliable for contraception and conception.
Not everyone tracks their period for pregnancy. What is this obsession with pregnancy? Does it not ever occur to these male developers that people want to track their cycles to, you know, track their cycles?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

jesus loving christ just dont use the app if youre so upset about it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yeah you'd expect them to be more neutral about gender issues

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this is why its stupid to cater to the fringe theyll be even madder at you for trying

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Al! posted:

this is why its stupid to cater to the fringe theyll be even madder at you for trying

yep, youll never ever get it right for 100% of possible users and the 0.001% you offend will start such a huge stink it will catch on with the other users who dont give a poo poo but feel like theyre social warriors

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Werthog 95 posted:

Just over 90 minutes ago:

Since the rhythm method (one of the calculation we currently use) is not so effective when preventing unwanted pregnancies …

OMG, no, this is not neutral language! The rhythm method, with no consideration for ovulation or the luteal phase, fails for predicting menstruation in addition to also being unreliable for contraception and conception.
Not everyone tracks their period for pregnancy. What is this obsession with pregnancy? Does it not ever occur to these male developers that people want to track their cycles to, you know, track their cycles?

hahaha 5

the one mistake you made was telling anyone it did anything at all, good luck next time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh fyi that mcalc post is going around again so I thought I’d say this. I’ve been using the mcalc app and it’s a nice thought but there are some problematic aspects to it

there seems to be an arbitrary upper weight limit of 150 pounds (???) on the settings which ask for your weight/age/whatever, presumably to help predict periods better

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Al! posted:

oh fyi that mcalc post is going around again so I thought I’d say this. I’ve been using the mcalc app and it’s a nice thought but there are some problematic aspects to it

there seems to be an arbitrary upper weight limit of 150 pounds (???) on the settings which ask for your weight/age/whatever, presumably to help predict periods better

wait really

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's another c/p. apparently the app is also a buggy piece of poo poo and it's made by a bunch of dudes, lol

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

tbf if you're outside average weight it wreaks havoc on your cycles

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

it's another c/p. apparently the app is also a buggy piece of poo poo and it's made by a bunch of dudes, lol

if someone gets pregnant on that app they should sue for paternity

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Al! posted:

if someone gets pregnant on that app they should sue for paternity

it's "safer" to have sex now with your lawfully wedded husband in order to produce glorious children for our lord and savior Jesus Christ instead of spilling your husbands seed like a heathen

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Werthog 95 posted:

this is for people who have vaginas but i guess break down in sobbing fits when an inanimate object assumes they're women

thats the thing most of those apps dont ever say that or identify the user at all, they simply ask for the dates and poo poo needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
there are a whole heap of reasons to track things relating to menstruation aside from pregnancy or avoiding it, and trackers can be genuinely useful, but why the hell are they using so many words just to say, "it's not pink."

and why does it look so much like win 8

• Locked thread