Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i used it for a while and i cant remember why exactly but it had a bunch of annoying problems

i dont remember what they were but it was annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i used it for a while and i cant remember why exactly but it had a bunch of annoying problems

i dont remember what they were but it was annoying

it's based off linux. hth

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ugh i hate being in the same room as tv commercials

either devices precision crafted by a high-end agency to eliminate rational thought or local yokels doing something intolerably stupid

i don't watch any broadcast tv, it's all streamed or whatever, and i have totally lost my advertising immune system

if i'm in a restaurant and there's a tv, i literally have to sit facing away because otherwise when the commercials come on i will completely zombify and the people i'm with get annoyed

the logitech k400 (that wireless keyboard with the trackpad shaggar linked) is actually quite serviceable for spergy htpc use, it's cheap and it feels cheap and you won't feel too bad if you spill a drink on it while watching something

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i used to run it as its own distro, but now just run it as an on top of windows since it's a combined htpc/steambox. i can't stress enough how extraordinarily well it suits my needs.

edit: i have that same keyboard and it's useful on the rare occasions i need it, but i mostly just use a harmony remote.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
xbmc is the software equivalent of starting to tell a funny joke but loving up half way through and everyone just half heartedly chuckles out of pity

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
*chuckles*

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i am genuinely not sure what kind of issues you guys have with it, has always been great for me out of the box. but that's ok, there's software for everyone. what a great world we live in. how true that is.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

u cant skip ads on live tv

yes you can. because the only live tv worth watching is sprots, the commercial breaks are time to A) piss B) get cold beer C) check work mail/charts real quick D) oh cool they are showing that replay haha look at him drop that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I meant w/ the dvr button!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

i don't watch any broadcast tv, it's all streamed or whatever, and i have totally lost my advertising immune system

if i'm in a restaurant and there's a tv, i literally have to sit facing away because otherwise when the commercials come on i will completely zombify and the people i'm with get annoyed

i have the opposite thing with ads and hearing them now makes me want to spew bile (but i hold it in because i'm a type C person)

and on that note :unsmigghh: been catching up on reading a lot of iain m. banks in dead tree format. still loving the later culture novels but i think Use of Weapons might have been the peak. Look to Windward was close though

also starting in on vernor vinge's stuff. A Fire Upon the Deep has a baller premise and the early 90s usenet as deespace comms is lol in a good way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

i'm the same way, except the ads also make me really mad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when I see ads that are particularly horrible (mostly car ads and mostly Toyota ads) I get absurdly angry and start yelling at the tv and if the people behind the ad were put in front of me I would probably do them harm.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man, almost human is great. i really hope fox doesn't go all fox on it.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
you people need to consider medication

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

fuckin lmbo if you dont arrange your daily experience so you basically never see advertising.

thanks to adblock and not watching tv i really only see ads when i go to movies with my broskis or otherwise step out into the world (a rare occurrence). it boggles my mind that people actually spend portions of their finite mortal lives sitting and watching commercials on television. still probably wouldn't assault anyone over it though (sorry shaggar).

still can't wait for my black mirror "say mcdonalds to skip" invasive targeted corporate marketing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like I can watch the same awful local commercial a thousand times and not care, but when those shitheads at toyota show WHITE AMERICAN FAMILY WITH 2.5 CHILDREN at the Toyota dealership and the mom is explaining to the salesmen how Toyota is the best and most rock solid and the dad just cant wait to give toyota all the money for thier lovely rear end minivan, I want to literally kill everyone involved. Its an insane trigger in my brain.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ive been listening to hot97 a lot lately and there are some incredible ads like a car dealership that will give you a grand on an amex gift card saying "go into the black this black friday"

IF YOU CANT AFFORD CHRISTMAS PRESENT PLEASE DO NOT BUY A BRAND NEW loving TOYOTA

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

shaggar are you sure you aren't a sleeper agent who's been deep-brain implanted by Nissan's experimental marketing division to violently unleash against the Toyota creative team when triggered by certain buzzwords to give your masters a leg up in the hypercompetitive world of affordable consumer vehicles

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no cause nissans ads are really bad too, its just nothing is worse than toyota

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the condo ads around here are nothing but white 20somethings living it up. it's weird considering we're one of the most multicultural cities on earth. and absolutely insufferable.

are you rich, white, young, and attractive? buy a loving condo already!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

i visited sao paulo a couple years ago and they have a blanket ban on outdoor advertising. no billboards, very strict limits on store signage, no billboards, etc. google it, there's a lot of before/after photos

while i was there, it too me a while to figure out what was bugging me, it was like discovering that an appliance makes a very subtle hum, but you only noticed because you unplugged it and it stopped

now i am especially annoyed by them

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i started listening to the wind up girl audio book and why the hell is every chapter with the wind up girl 'she almost gets raped, saved by white foreigner' jesus even i'm uncomfortable with that

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
c person of interest s

i could watch fusco's beatdown of simmons a thousand times; it's cathartic on the level of joffrey getting slapped

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

yeah but how many times has your laptop lost its connection to your lap and then broken completely

none because im so fat i have gravitational pull

game set match

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

syscall girl posted:

also starting in on vernor vinge's stuff. A Fire Upon the Deep has a baller premise and the early 90s usenet as deespace comms is lol in a good way

yeah for some reason the usenet stuff really works in the setting

im nearly done the third book now and i realize that i really like stuff involving primitive or just plain non-space-age aliens and that kind of thing and now i want more. doesnt even have to be sci fi, hell watership down even scratched that itch when i finally got around to reading it a few years back. is the culture series in the same vein? its next on my list.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
yes a lot of the culture novels have interactions with aliens at all different stages of societal/technological development

"matter" and "inversions" in particular you'd probably like.

HAL 219000
Nov 27, 2013

number 219
is alive
google ron paul

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

http://qntm.org/ra

so these are pretty loving good

by the same author who did Fine Structure

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
read fine structure yesterday and today, read it, it's good

thanks qntm

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

neither of those are very good, actually

by free internet fiction standards they're masterpieces but they read like they were written by a person who has never read anything but genre fiction

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

none because im so fat i have gravitational pull

game set match

idea: a laptop with a hole in the center for your penis, so you can jerk off without having to awkwardly position your laptop above or below your lap while you jerk it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

read fine structure yesterday and today, read it, it's good

thanks qntm

no problem

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gus Hobbleton posted:

yeah for some reason the usenet stuff really works in the setting

im nearly done the third book now and i realize that i really like stuff involving primitive or just plain non-space-age aliens and that kind of thing and now i want more. doesnt even have to be sci fi, hell watership down even scratched that itch when i finally got around to reading it a few years back. is the culture series in the same vein? its next on my list.

read everything you can get your hands on by Ursula K. LeGuin. start with the Earthsea books if you want fantasy or Left Hand of Darkness if you want sci-fi.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

written by a person who has never read anything but genre fiction

well, yes

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i realize this says something awful about me as a reader but i have a hard time getting interested in literature outside of non-fiction or genre crap, at least when it comes to modern novels. they all just seem kinda bland, like who wants to read about this random upper-middle class author-standin's boring-rear end life

maybe it has something to do with my high school english class curiculum. gatsby is overrated as hell and 'the house of the spirits' is loving poop from a butt

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

qntm posted:

well, yes

assuming you are the same qntm, this is something you ought to remedy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Can-O-Raid posted:

i realize this says something awful about me as a reader but i have a hard time getting interested in literature outside of non-fiction or genre crap, at least when it comes to modern novels. they all just seem kinda bland, like who wants to read about this random upper-middle class author-standin's boring-rear end life

maybe it has something to do with my high school english class curiculum. gatsby is overrated as hell and 'the house of the spirits' is loving poop from a butt

try reading some stuff not written by random upper-middle class people (which i agree is boring). gabriel garcia marquez or some manga maybe

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

assuming you are the same qntm, this is something you ought to remedy

definitely, i kind of come from a universe which starts at douglas adams and ends at terry pratchett

if you want to throw some titles out i will get to some self-improvement

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qntm posted:

definitely, i kind of come from a universe which starts at douglas adams and ends at terry pratchett

it must get tiring blowing up all those asteroids and tiny ufos in your delta spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

axolotl farmer posted:

read everything you can get your hands on by Ursula K. LeGuin. start with the Earthsea books if you want fantasy or Left Hand of Darkness if you want sci-fi.

sounds like it might be neat. ill add them to my list.

i saw a movie called earthsea a few years back and it was loving terrible but movie adaptations usually are so i wont hold it against the book if/when i get to it.

• Locked thread