Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

So I finally understand the beauty of blocking. I blocked my first piece today and I have to say that it makes everything so much better. The pattern is this behemoth: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vortex-shawl It's even bigger than in the picture. I had to fold over some and block it after because there is not enough room for all of the swirling.

Now I can finally start on the small, easy Christmas gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That last hat is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
What sort of stuff would be best suited to a single skein of Noro Taiyo? I've been trying to find more of the shade, but it isn't happening. I am working on learning to increase and decrease, so that's about the level I'm at. Would it be too bulky for socks? Maybe better for a simple hat? Simple scarf?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Aerofallosov posted:

What sort of stuff would be best suited to a single skein of Noro Taiyo? I've been trying to find more of the shade, but it isn't happening. I am working on learning to increase and decrease, so that's about the level I'm at. Would it be too bulky for socks? Maybe better for a simple hat? Simple scarf?

If you are just learning to increase and decrease, a basic ribbed hat is a good project to get you some experience doing that, assuming you know how to knit in the round.

The other thing I like to do when I have a limited amount of a yarn and don't know what to do with it is to look up the specific yarn on Ravelry and search for projects that people used it for.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 30, 2013

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

a friendly penguin posted:

So I finally understand the beauty of blocking. I blocked my first piece today and I have to say that it makes everything so much better. The pattern is this behemoth: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vortex-shawl It's even bigger than in the picture. I had to fold over some and block it after because there is not enough room for all of the swirling.

Now I can finally start on the small, easy Christmas gifts.

I'm just curious what that is that you are blocking your work on top of in this picture? Also, where can you buy that at? I need to start blocking and that seems perfect as I live in an apartment and space is an issue. (Something I can set on the floor to block and later disassemble and put away ).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

wodan22 posted:

I'm just curious what that is that you are blocking your work on top of in this picture? Also, where can you buy that at? I need to start blocking and that seems perfect as I live in an apartment and space is an issue. (Something I can set on the floor to block and later disassemble and put away ).

I have a set just like that, got them at either Home Depot or Lowes, can't remember which. They're awesome.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I have a set just like that, got them at either Home Depot or Lowes, can't remember which. They're awesome.

Awesome. Now I at least know where to look. Any idea what those are actually called? Basically, so I can go to Lowes or Hone Depot tomorrow and be able to ask if they have them.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you are just learning to increase and decrease, a basic ribbed hat is a good project to get you some experience doing that, assuming you know how to knit in the round.

The other thing I like to do when I have a limited amount of a yarn and don't know what to do with it is to look up the specific yarn on Ravelry and search for projects that people used it for.

That sounds like an idea. Noro Taiyo's been really tough to find even online anymore. I think if nothing works out, I may donate it or use it for scarf practice.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wodan22 posted:

Awesome. Now I at least know where to look. Any idea what those are actually called? Basically, so I can go to Lowes or Hone Depot tomorrow and be able to ask if they have them.

Something like "foam floor mats"
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Norsk-St...26#.UplYwMRDuB8

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

wodan22 posted:

Yes, home depot. My husband wanted mats for lifting weights so I made him get the foam ones. Two birds, one stone.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

a friendly penguin posted:

Yes, home depot. My husband wanted mats for lifting weights so I made him get the foam ones. Two birds, one stone.

They also sell them at places like Walmart and Target, both for home gym flooring and for kid's playrooms. I got a set of boring grey ones at Target a few years ago for something like $12 for a total of 24sq. feet.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I love those things to death. Once your knit item is pinned to them you can prop them up against the wall and they take up like five inches of floor space total. Awesome.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Those sound awesome.

Has anyone used Cupcake yarn from Peter Pan? This is the most ridiculously soft, fluffy yarn I have ever used. I went to check out my local yarn store and found it. Since I got a discount on it, I grabbed some and am using it to practice. I kinda want a sweater or shirt and mittens out of it one day, too... I wonder if this sort of material is suited for it? How do you know what yarn works best for say, a shirt?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I ordered some yarn from a different part of the country, and the package arrived with a chocolate bar in it. Very sweet, only neither the yarn nor the chocolate had been wrapped in plastic, and the chocolate had melted in transit. Leaving stains on 3 out of 4 balls. I've emailed the company and I'm waiting on a reply. In the meantime, any advice? I'd like to avoid skeining the balls in order to clean them if I can, and it looks like just surface damage, so I think I'll try cleaning them with some warm water and a cloth first.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

I ordered some yarn from a different part of the country, and the package arrived with a chocolate bar in it. Very sweet, only neither the yarn nor the chocolate had been wrapped in plastic, and the chocolate had melted in transit. Leaving stains on 3 out of 4 balls. I've emailed the company and I'm waiting on a reply. In the meantime, any advice? I'd like to avoid skeining the balls in order to clean them if I can, and it looks like just surface damage, so I think I'll try cleaning them with some warm water and a cloth first.

Wow, that was dumb. Completely unwrapped chocolate? What were they thinking?!

What kind of yarn is it? I would probably soak in lukewarm water with some soap and try to sort of swish it out, if it's feltable yarn. If super wash or plant fiber or acrylic you can be more rough with it.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Oh, God- There's a new edition of Tudor Roses out. And since I knitted the ugliest cardi in the world out of the old one, I have to knit the 2013 version, right?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Thanks a bunch! I managed to find some at Lowes over the weekend, so I hope to start blocking this week!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Wow, that was dumb. Completely unwrapped chocolate? What were they thinking?

Probably should have been clearer. It had a wrapper, but the edges of the wrapper aren't glued together, it's just kind of folded. So as the chocolate melted and got squashed, it came out of the wrapper. There isn't too much damage to the wool, I'll try soaking like you suggested. I'm just worried that the middle won't dry properly since it's balled, but I can put it near the dehumidifier. It should be fine there.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Oh, in that case, unwind it into a skein for washing, then rewind into a ball once it's dried.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

left_unattended posted:

I ordered some yarn from a different part of the country, and the package arrived with a chocolate bar in it. Very sweet, only neither the yarn nor the chocolate had been wrapped in plastic, and the chocolate had melted in transit.

Quite a few companies in the UK do this at Christmas. I just got a cone of yarn with a bonus Quality Street sweet.

If it is feltable you can use soapy hot water, just don't agitate it as that will make it felt.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
DONE! DONE DONE DONE. I am so glad I am done with this, much as I love it, it was a pain in the rear end to knit.

If you look closely you can see that I got all cute and knit TINY ELBOW PATCHES to go on the sleeves. Also, I knit a baby newsboy cap.

Because dressing babies up like old men is awesome.

SO MANY ENDS. SO MANY. Holy poo poo.

EDIT: in the first photo, the top button is undone. Not hilariously crooked.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
That sweater is so cute. I'm too chicken to try color work beyond stripes. Well done.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

THE CUTEST SWEATER EVER

I may have almost lost my poo poo on public transport. Christ, that is adorable. And the cap! *melts*

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

My cat threw up on my current knitting project.

The One Ring banner that I'm almost done with and is over six feet long and have been working on since March. The one that I normally put into a large plastic bag away from the cats, but got lazy just this once and forgot.

I'm going to cry.

ETA: I'm not actually going to cry, I'm going to wash it, but it smells like cat food and I'm so angry with myself. Ugh.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

New Knitty patterns to look at.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Wow. It hasn't happened in a while, but I don't think this issue has a single thing I want to knit. Like not even vaguely.

Edit:

Spoke to soon, the knit plaid cowl is great and interesting and I can do it in colours I like.

felgs fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 5, 2013

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I like the duplice hat. Pretty cute concept.

That armande cardigan just looks so bad in some spots. Like, my first glance was, that's kinda cute and I like the collar. Then I see the gapping at the button band in two places, and the pockets look really uneven. Then I got sad for the designer. I still really like the collar and the back, the front just looks wonky.

edit: Wraptor sock

"Wraptor is worked in stockinette stitch, and is a compelling way to showcase your favorite self-striping or gradient yarn. Because of its sideways construction, it is less elastic than socks worked in the round. You'll have to wiggle it over your heel, but then it will fit like a second skin."

It's a bitch to get on your foot, good luck taking them off!

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 5, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wow, I think this Knitty is way better than usual. There are a handful of sweaters I like. Of course I would still modify them -- this one needs ribbing, that one needs more ease, I would change that cable pattern, the guy's sweater is probably better on a woman -- but that's not bad. Usually I'm like "ugh Knitty ew why" about most of the patterns, and there are definitely fewer of those this time. I'm not into any of the accessories, though, except the moebius braid! It's not like a shocking concept but I would totally do it . . . as written, even.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There are actually a few things I would make/wear out of this. (or at least not laugh at them)

The plaid cowl is pretty cool 'process'-wise. I like the Henry Tudor pullover, I'm not a fan of the leather buckles though. I'd probably do buttons. I also don't like how the suggested yarn makes a 'M' sweater for my skinny husband cost nearly $200. I do like how the cables are nice, but they don't make the whole thing look fussy.

The Big Blue Thing is crazy and looks like it would hurt my hands to knit.

But, for Knitty, this looks to be a pretty good issue. The signal-to-noise ratio is usually quite a lot lower.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Bicycle and box of Tide added for scale.

I'm finally done, thank god. This was a commission for a friend and I lowballed the hell out of it not realising quite how large the pattern was going to be. Doing that much vertical striping was hell. Good mindless knitting, but it would not end.

Now I feel the urge for another fancy lace shawl.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Superduper actually has a pretty interesting construction. I wonder how it might look in a uh, less bulky yarn? I also really like the process for the plaid cowl. Could be interesting on some other stuff.
Some of the sweaters look wearable, too. It's not as ridiculous as past Knittys (knitties?) have been.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That Henry Tudor pullover is nice but I hate that collar and I'm not sure how easy it'd be to modify since that rib is tied into the whole thing. Maybe if it was decreased faster and longer to pull it into more of a traditional collar shape, but then I'd be worry about the fit around the top of the shoulders and chest.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I love the plaid cowl but it looks like it would take for-freaking-ever to make. :sigh:

Maybe after the holidays I'll give it a shot. I have way too much on the needles right now (and always).

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

MarsDragon posted:

Bicycle and box of Tide added for scale.

I'm finally done, thank god. This was a commission for a friend and I lowballed the hell out of it not realising quite how large the pattern was going to be. Doing that much vertical striping was hell. Good mindless knitting, but it would not end.

Now I feel the urge for another fancy lace shawl.

This is very cool looking! I feel your pain for mindless knitting, I'm finishing up a jumper (half of one sleeve left to go) and I worked out it is around 80k stockinette stitches. I'm actually looking forward to doing fancy socks.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Does anyone have a good tutorial for making your first hat in the round using a circular to cast on? I've been trying DPNs and I'm sure when I do the decreases I'll be able to use them, but casting on and knitting the first row is insane.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

wtftastic posted:

Does anyone have a good tutorial for making your first hat in the round using a circular to cast on? I've been trying DPNs and I'm sure when I do the decreases I'll be able to use them, but casting on and knitting the first row is insane.

I don't understand why using a circular is causing you trouble when you already know how to knit in the round with dpns. Do literally the same thing, the end.

Edit: oh durrr you don't know how, me read good :downs:

Edit2: cast on stitches, place them so the ends of the yarn is on right needle, start knitting. Make sure cast on stitches aren't twisted.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 5, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The trick to casting on with DPNs is to cast them all onto one needle, then slide them onto others. If you can't fit them all onto one, let's say the pattern calls for casting on 15 per needle. Cast 20 onto the first needle, slip 5 to the second needle, cast an additional 15 onto the second needle, etc. This avoids the gaps between needles people usually get.

Then you just have to join it in the round, and avoid twisting it, both of which are the same for circs.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

rectal cushion posted:

I don't understand why using a circular is causing you trouble when you already know how to knit in the round with dpns. Do literally the same thing, the end.

Edit: oh durrr you don't know how, me read good :downs:

Edit2: cast on stitches, place them so the ends of the yarn is on right needle, start knitting. Make sure cast on stitches aren't twisted.

I was going to say- I've got the general idea for it on circulars, but I can't get DPNs to work! Things always fall off, they hang weirdly, etc. I will try it again, but maybe buying a set of metal size 6s was a bad place to start.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I was going to say- I've got the general idea for it on circulars, but I can't get DPNs to work! Things always fall off, they hang weirdly, etc. I will try it again, but maybe buying a set of metal size 6s was a bad place to start.

The first few rows on DPNS is always kind of a mess. It gets MUCH, much easier after that.

It's not a bad idea to cast on and work back and forth for the first few rows, THEN join in the round and start knitting, while you're learning anyway. That way there's some weight to the piece and the needles are less likely to just fall out randomly and so on. It's also easier to avoid twisting the work that way, and it's only a small seam to sew up later, less than an inch.

EDIT: When I cast on in the round on circulars I always set the whole thing down flat on a table and hold the needle ends down with one hand while I make sure it's not twisted with the other. Saves a lot of hearbreak later. I guess it works with DPNs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

wtftastic posted:

I am not an expert on circulars or DPNs, but I am a crappy knitter. And as a crappy knitter, I've tried to learn every trick I can to make my knitting seem better than it really is. I am currently trying to get through a sock on DPNs, and the following helped.

1) If you are working with sock thread and tiny needles, metal is the way to go to prevent them snapping. However, since this is a hat, with bigger needles, get you some bamboo or wood DPNs. The extra friction they give is worth it to keep your stitches from sliding off.

2) Somebody mentioned that when you are first casting on circulars, you should start off setting your needles on top of a table, ottoman, cushion, pillow, etc. to keep your stitches from getting twisted for when you join the round. It works even better for DPNs. Not only will your stitches not get twisted, but also it makes it so you are not worried about juggling 4 or 5 needles at once for those dreadful first few rounds (as they will be resting on the table instead of hanging in the air).

3) I am a real loose knitter(which is to say that my stitches tend to be loose, not that I am a gigantic man-whore who knits). When I use DPNs to knit in the round, I usually give the end of my working yarn a little tug after the first and last stitch of each needle, in order to tighten the stitches up. This is so 1) you don't get those little bridges/gaps in your stitches between where you changed needles 2) it gives you more tension and friction, so the stitches are less likely to slide off the needles.

4) This may have not be an issue for you, but on the off chance that it helps someone else: If you have never knit in the round before, google some tutorials for "joining in the round" and "binding off in the round". There are some special techniques that you use for both of these that for some reason, the "how to knit in the round" videos never seem to include or explain. It's like they assume you must already know how to do these despite the fact that you are watching a drat tutorial on how to knit in the round. It was a personal source of confusion and frustration for me, and my first few round projects always had these ugly gaps because of it. I was going to try to type out an explanation myself, but after I typed it and read it, even I couldn't understand what I meant. So, someone more eloquent might want to expound on that...Or you could google it.