Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

I would think you would want some corners worth a drat first, but my fetish for drafting DBs is well documented.

We haven't picked a good corner in the first round in a decade, I have no reason to think that will change any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

I would think you would want some corners worth a drat first, but my fetish for drafting DBs is well documented.

Said Not A Pats Fan

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Updated with full season SoS.

code:
				Win%	SoS
1. Jacksonville Jaguars		0.182	0.523
2. Houston Texans		0.182	0.551
3. Atlanta Falcons		0.182	0.565
4. Minnesota Vikings		0.227	0.528
5. St. Louis Rams (via WAS)	0.273	0.500
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers		0.273	0.574
7. Cleveland Browns		0.364	0.494
8. Buffalo Bills		0.364	0.511
9. Oakland Raiders		0.364	0.517
10. New York Giants		0.364	0.540
11. Pittsburgh Steelers		0.455	0.472
12. Baltimore Ravens		0.455	0.483
13. New York Jets		0.455	0.489
14. Miami Dolphins		0.455	0.506
15. San Diego Chargers		0.455	0.517
16. St. Louis Rams		0.455	0.557
17. Green Bay Packers		0.500	0.443
18. Chicago Bears		0.545	0.466
19. Philadelphia Eagles		0.545	0.472
20. Arizona Cardinals		0.636	0.534

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Aniki posted:

It is a tough thing to judge. Bridgewater would be my ideal pick, but there's obviously no guarantee that the Vikings will be able to get him, especially with a tie that ruins all tie breakers.

The good news is that the Texans and Jags are the main competition for picking a QB that high. Both of them are also two win teams, but they play each other again this year. If the Jags win again, my hope is that Case Keenum starts to look like he did in his first couple of games and the Texans would take Clowney over a QB if they got number one.

I don't see a game that's overtly winnable by the Vikings in the last 5, but any given Sunday and whatnot. Both the Texans and Jags play the Titans, and the Jags also play the Bills and Browns.

Atlanta could also draft ahead of the Vikings, but the only way that takes a QB off the board would be from them trading down. The only fear would be them taking Clowney at one and that pushing the Texans towards a QB.

I hate rooting for my team to lose, but things need to change. Leslie Frasier is a cool dude, but not a great head coach. They have stuck with Ponder way too long based on him putting together decent stretches at the right time, and I hope Spielman goes down with that sinking ship. Also I die a little inside every time I see Bill Musgrave holding that loving index card of offensive plays.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If the rams were in my division I would hate the redskins so much for gifting them a free top 5 pick my god

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'm not pleased.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why does the team with the weaker SOS get the higher pick?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Because they have a bad record with an easier schedule. They theoretically have lost to worse teams

Silent Nature
Aug 4, 2009

The Ohio State University

Bigass Moth posted:

Rewarded for sucking more against weaker competition!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

The good news is that the Texans and Jags are the main competition for picking a QB that high. Both of them are also two win teams, but they play each other again this year. If the Jags win again, my hope is that Case Keenum starts to look like he did in his first couple of games and the Texans would take Clowney over a QB if they got number one.

I don't see a game that's overtly winnable by the Vikings in the last 5, but any given Sunday and whatnot. Both the Texans and Jags play the Titans, and the Jags also play the Bills and Browns.

Atlanta could also draft ahead of the Vikings, but the only way that takes a QB off the board would be from them trading down. The only fear would be them taking Clowney at one and that pushing the Texans towards a QB.

I hate rooting for my team to lose, but things need to change. Leslie Frasier is a cool dude, but not a great head coach. They have stuck with Ponder way too long based on him putting together decent stretches at the right time, and I hope Spielman goes down with that sinking ship. Also I die a little inside every time I see Bill Musgrave holding that loving index card of offensive plays.

My gut feeling is that Frazier and Musgrave are gone, but that Spielman will get another chance. Spielman has only had full control for the past years and both drafts have been strong, though his insistence on building through the draft and not supplementing the process with mid-level FAs has definitely made things worse in the short term. You could also argue that Frazier and much of the current coaching staff are a holdover from the Childress era, so while they got rid of a toxic personality in Childress, not much else has changed.

As for the rest of the season, we'll see how it plays out. I want them to start getting young guys more playing time and get dead ends like Henderson, Mitchell, Guion, Johnson, and Ponder off of the field. I'd like to see what Freeman can do now that he's had a chance to learn the offense, but it seems like Frazier will likely ride out Ponder until the bitter end.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ozu posted:

Updated with full season SoS.

code:
				Win%	SoS
1. Jacksonville Jaguars		0.182	0.523
2. Houston Texans		0.182	0.551
3. Atlanta Falcons		0.182	0.565
4. Minnesota Vikings		0.227	0.528
5. St. Louis Rams (via WAS)	0.273	0.500
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers		0.273	0.574
7. Cleveland Browns		0.364	0.494
8. Buffalo Bills		0.364	0.511
9. Oakland Raiders		0.364	0.517
10. New York Giants		0.364	0.540
11. Pittsburgh Steelers		0.455	0.472
12. Baltimore Ravens		0.455	0.483
13. New York Jets		0.455	0.489
14. Miami Dolphins		0.455	0.506
15. San Diego Chargers		0.455	0.517
16. St. Louis Rams		0.455	0.557
17. Green Bay Packers		0.500	0.443
18. Chicago Bears		0.545	0.466
19. Philadelphia Eagles		0.545	0.472
20. Arizona Cardinals		0.636	0.534

Texans are #1 because they lost H2H to the Jags

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is pretty hilarious how badly that tie is going to gently caress the Vikings

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

Texans are #1 because they lost H2H to the Jags

H2H has nothing to do with draft order

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

H2H has nothing to do with draft order

Seriously? :stare:

I wonder why I thought it did. So it's only a playoff tiebreaker then?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

Seriously? :stare:

I wonder why I thought it did

Yeah, draft order is all SOS based for non playoff teams with the same record

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If the rams were in my division I would hate the redskins so much for gifting them a free top 5 pick my god

Yep, especially since Snead actually knows how to draft unlike their last GM.

gently caress you Snyder, as if the Rams weren't enough of a hassle before.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Goetta posted:

It is pretty hilarious how badly that tie is going to gently caress the Vikings

No it isn't. :(

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
You all just need to calm down and let the Jags have a 1st overall for once. Seriously we even lost the expansion coin toss. Although I thought we were .554 and Texas was .545.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's for games played so far. He's using the full season SOS

The Jags and the Texans have the same schedule (except for each other) except the Texans have Patriots and Ravens while the Jags have Bills and Browns

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

himurak posted:

You all just need to calm down and let the Jags have a 1st overall for once. Seriously we even lost the expansion coin toss. Although I thought we were .554 and Texas was .545.

gently caress that, you guys will probably trade the pick to the Falcons and Houston misses out on Clowney as a result! :argh:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What scenario needs to happen to ensure the Browns get the #1 pick, aside from them losing out?

Assuming we stay at 4 wins, if all other teams with currently less than 4 wins end up with that many, who has the #1 pick?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bigass Moth posted:

What scenario needs to happen to ensure the Browns get the #1 pick, aside from them losing out?

Assuming we stay at 4 wins, if all other teams with currently less than 4 wins end up with that many, who has the #1 pick?

We'll take those two firsts, for starters. And Ray Horton. :devil:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If the Texans drafted Clowney would he play 3-4 end or OLB?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

His size makes him look like a OLB but I've read he's not really suited to play the position so IDK

If he can play the position, then I'd feel super comfortable with a front 7 of Watt, whoever, Smith (on a new, much cheaper deal), Clowney, Cushing, Reed, Mercilus

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Also, if the coaching staff changes they could convert defensive schemes too for all we know. It's not like JJ Watt would suddenly start sucking if he played DT full time, and then they could let Smith walk to save the cap space.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Grozz Nuy posted:

Also, if the coaching staff changes they could convert defensive schemes too for all we know. It's not like JJ Watt would suddenly start sucking if he played DT full time, and then they could let Smith walk to save the cap space.

It would be loving dumb to risk negating the best defensive player in the league by changing schemes.

Congrats on completely loving your draft positioning Bucs. I got to watch you be atrocious all season and now we won't even get anything for it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just wait til they retain Schiano!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It would be loving dumb to risk negating the best defensive player in the league by changing schemes.

Congrats on completely loving your draft positioning Bucs. I got to watch you be atrocious all season and now we won't even get anything for it.

I sincerely doubt that Watt's ability would be compromised by sliding him slightly further inside the line and putting a generational talent next to him if you have the opportunity to draft one, but hey I'm not a DC so what do I know.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Watt manages to be a monster pass rusher at DE in a 3-4 on a team that where he is pretty much the only real pass rushing threat, I think he'll be fine at 4-3 DT or DE

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Watt manages to be a monster pass rusher at DE in a 3-4 on a team that where he is pretty much the only real pass rushing threat, I think he'll be fine at 4-3 DT or DE

Remember that sack-forced fumble-fumble recovery tornado he pulled against the Cardinals? He was lined up at at the LDE spot in the nickle formation. Wade's thrown that formation out a few times this season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Texans defense is like how most 3-4 defenses were back in the late 80s/early 90s, you have your LDE playing a single gap technique on the RT and then the ROLB playing the wing on the other side. That's why most of the really good defenses from that era had both an elite DE and an elite OLB (Smith/Bennett, Smith/Thomas, Marshall/Taylor, etc). If the Texans wanted to they could easily play Clowney in the OLB role (he'd be fine) on the opposite side of Watt. That'd be a pretty scary tandem.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just really hope that the Jags and Houston go after Cutler meaning they can take Clowney because him going to Atlanta would suck mightily.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Getting Cutler and Clowney would make me so happy

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Grozz Nuy posted:

I sincerely doubt that Watt's ability would be compromised by sliding him slightly further inside the line and putting a generational talent next to him if you have the opportunity to draft one, but hey I'm not a DC so what do I know.

Watt is already a "generational talent" so you're better off working to keep him as effective as possible.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I just really hope that the Jags and Houston go after Cutler meaning they can take Clowney because him going to Atlanta would suck mightily.

Yes it would.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Intruder posted:

Cutler's not leaving Chicago, at least not this offseason. They'll tag him at the very least.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Intruder posted:

If they let Cutler walk I am going to throw a thing at my TV. He's the only decent QB we've ever had.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Who are some of the better Nose Tackles in the draft? With all of the turn over the Cowboys have had with their defensive line this year I really hope they look into drafting someone. I hope no one has fallen in love with Ben loving Bass and thinks he's the savior of this defensive line next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Nix from Notre Dame is pretty well thought of I think, although the only thing I know about him is watching him get shoved around a lot of the game against Alabama last year (not that Bama's line didn't have ridiculous talent on it).

Oh now that I look him up he just had knee surgery, apparently he's had tendinitis in it all season. No idea if that'll be an ongoing thing but it's something to worry about with a 6'2" 357 lb :stare: man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

defiantgiant posted:

If they let Cutler walk I am going to throw a thing at my TV. He's the only decent QB we've ever had.

Somewhere Sophia just got really mad and isn't sure why

• Locked thread