Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Final boss fight set to Mass Destruction against a super fabulous shadow versions of Mitsuru, Yukari and Aegis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Suaimhneas posted:

I think it's a deliberate choice on Atlus' part to leave it ambiguous enough that you could interpret it as either sex or just making out, whichever you'd rather it be. That way they can attract that lucrative otaku creeper money without putting off the wider JRPG market. :v:

I seem to remember that Atlus USA toned down Ken's SL for the FeMC when they localizated P3P.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seriously, I think I've just been burned too much by Bioware's output of late when it comes to in-game relationships. Can't I just listen to your problems and be a supportive friend without any undertones of wanting to get in your pants? I'd be entirely happy if they just left the romance by the wayside and just let me be ultra-buddies with everyone.

As cool as it would be to have a let's be best friends route with everyone, I fear that they'd be more likely have a EVERYONE IS IN LOVE WITH MC option if they try to be more inclusive/ape from Bioware's book.

On a more positive note, Persona 5 better take advantage of the work on Dance all Night and have a club where you can actually dance with your social link/date.

"You spent a long time with Rise...at the club."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I seem to remember that Atlus USA toned down Ken's SL for the FeMC when they localizated P3P.

...that was the toned down version? I guess there's only so much toning you can do, there's no way of making that not super creepy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They did, the original was...yeah.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

From what I understood, there was very little toning down, just one or two lines?

Do you have concrete examples?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crabtree posted:

As cool as it would be to have a let's be best friends route with everyone, I fear that they'd be more likely have a EVERYONE IS IN LOVE WITH MC option if they try to be more inclusive/ape from Bioware's book.

That's what I took away from Persona 4. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strange Quark posted:

Seconding this only because I would really like to know what they're saying other than BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY.

If the Dingo team can pick a better font for their subtitles, that'd be nice too.

The lyrics are available on the MegaTen wiki.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus USA has a Black Friday sale going on. SMTIV is going to be $30 and all DLC will be under $2.

On PSN

P4A: Ultimate $22.99
P4A $14.99
P4G $19.99 per Atlus' twitter.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 27, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aren't all or most of the lyrics on the Megaten wiki discerned by ear? Like I don't think there were ever official sources for them. I remember this being the case for P4G's songs when it was just released in NA, so maybe things have changed.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My best source for Persona 4 lyrics have been the P4 Anime bluray. They have a dedicated subtitle track for music and that's all.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Aren't all or most of the lyrics on the Megaten wiki discerned by ear? Like I don't think there were ever official sources for them. I remember this being the case for P4G's songs when it was just released in NA, so maybe things have changed.

Actually, most of the booklets that come with the soundtracks have lyrics in them. At least that's the case for the P3, P3FES, P3P, and P3 Reincarnation albums!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dehry posted:

Persona 4 Golden is :20bux: again on PSN.

E:Apparently in stores over the weekend as well. I guess you can spend a long time alone with that.

Is there any way to transfer saves from the physical to the digital version? Going cart-less might be nice.

E: Also, still seeing ~2.50-3.00 items in the SMT4 DLC store, you sure the sale's started?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 27, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SMT stuff starts on Thursday, when the eShop updates.

I did it during the last $20 sale, all I did was take out my cartridge, download to the same SD card my saves were on and kept going.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Captain Mog posted:

This might sound stupid but I'm personally hoping for either character(s) of color or LGBT character(s) with romance options for both. I was a tad offended that they'd include hints towards Kanji's sexuality and not make him a romance option. I mean the cast doesn't have to be a diversity parade or anything but something other than the typical white-bread characters prevalent in JRPGs would be nice and if any series is good with delivering likable characters, its this one.

I thought the whole thing with Kanji was that people thought he was gay because he was into knitting and stuff? :confused:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Booky posted:

I thought the whole thing with Kanji was that people thought he was gay because he was into knitting and stuff? :confused:

It's symbolic~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The entire point of Kanji's character was that it didn't matter whether or not he was gay. It was about gender roles and stereotypes, not necessarily sexuality.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kanji is kind of a weird example. His moral was mostly about gender roles, yes, in his liking cute things and the crossdressing and all that not automatically meaning he's gay. But he does get flustered at times around attractive men, even though he violently reacts afterwards. I think there might be undertones of him being a bit bendy but since he and Naoto are OTP it isn't really explored.

Hell, his relationship with Naoto is even more proof of that. He liked her before he knew she was a girl because he liked her as a *person*, not a gender. Which as far as lessons go, that is a drat good one

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Romancing with Kanji is a bad idea to begin when I never saw any sign of him being interested in being in a relationship with Narukami. On the other hand, the women in the party just crazy for Yu like dogs in heat before you know it. Kanji wanted Naoto and that just didn't quite pan out like he wanted to.

I'm not a huge fan of forcing homosexual romances just because, like Bioware does. If you're gonna do it, do it right, not because of PROGRESS.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

The entire point of Kanji's character was that it didn't matter whether or not he was gay. It was about gender roles and stereotypes, not necessarily sexuality.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking about Kanji. :)

It's a pretty nice lesson about gender roles too (about how guys/girls can still like supposed girly/guy things).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If anything, Naoto's character is LITERALLY an issue with gender identity issues and nobody talks as much about her as Kanji because Kanji's mentions homosexuality more blatantly. It's interesting as well that both of them actually suffer from much the same issue, just from different sides of the spectrum. But nobody talks about Naoto's story arc as much as they do about Kanji's.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

If anything, Naoto's character is LITERALLY an issue with gender identity issues and nobody talks as much about her as Kanji because Kanji's mentions homosexuality more blatantly. It's interesting as well that both of them actually suffer from much the same issue, just from different sides of the spectrum. But nobody talks about Naoto's story arc as much as they do about Kanji's.

I had a friend who was entirely convinced that Naoto was a FtM transexual. I guess I could kinda see it, but at the time I thought it was just he was just projecting, given he was FtM himself. I think it's more along the lines of 'I like manly things but society says girls should like girly things and men should like manly things, so I should pretend to be a man', myself.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hellioning posted:

I had a friend who was entirely convinced that Naoto was a FtM transexual.

Wouldn't that kind of remove the point of her Shadow?

Edit: Like, the actual physical effect rather than the psychological ramifications, of course.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

alcharagia posted:

Edit: Like, the actual physical effect rather than the psychological ramifications, of course.

It would also remove the point of her "conclusion" which is to accept herself for who she is and not for what she wants to be. Her image of masculinity was a fictional ideal, and it was one she developed solely in response to society's impressions of her. It was psychologically unhealthy, which is why she had to overcome it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Yeah, I'm almost entirely certain that it was just them projecting their issues onto her.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like people who make the "Naoto is trans" argument tend to ignore the role that her age plays in her self-perception, and focus on the literal intentions of her Shadow while ignoring the larger, stated theme of her need to be taken seriously in a field that already has plenty of excuses to discount her.

I know people who assert it's completely unambiguous that she's trans, and that Kanji is also gay, but I feel like they're missing large parts of what makes those characters interesting by focusing entirely on their sexuality.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

They would have to ignore Naoto's appearance in Golden's epilogue as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Naoto literally says it wasn't really about her gender identity after the fight with her Shadow. I don't mind people taking things a certain way for whatever reason, be it projection or something else, but a lot of people state these things like they're facts, and then call you some sort of -ist when you disagree.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

To be honest, Kanji's character arc, at least the way I saw it, was him dealing with a mixture of repressed sexuality and dealing with the lack of a middle ground between his perceived manliness, his hobbies and his peaking interest in men. I usually write off the teasing of pairing with Naoto as just single target sexuality, or just liking her no matter what gender he thinks Naoto was. They way I came out of it was understanding that Kanji went both ways, however his fear of acceptance and the lack of what he saw as manliness in his knitting and such was the major part of his character arc. I left it as, yeah he's probably bi, but pushing that aside, he's a guy having to live up to common perceptions of manliness and didn't see some of his more hidden interests as part of that and thought it would alienate him from people accepting him. I do want to note that again, P4G making him essentially boring in the end was a way wrong step to go.

Naoto is a bit of a different beast. I saw her issues as "in the field that I absolutely love and was passed onto me by my grandfather, my gender is heavily inferior and unless I am a male, I can't be who I want to be". I always took away the fact that were female detectives taken more seriously, her issues with being a girl might be as large, and again P4G has her dressing completely like a girl so at some point she either realizes that she can get by on her vast amounts of skill alone, or something else came up.

Those are my opinions at least, and I do agree that people just seriously look directly into sexuality and leave out the big picture.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Naoto, someone tell me than that godawful novel with the cyborg dude isn't canon.

jonjonaug posted:

From what I understood, there was very little toning down, just one or two lines?

Do you have concrete examples?

Nothing concrete sadly, the only evidence that I can found is references on TV tropes about Ken's link being edited to tone down the implications of a relationship with the FeMC.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of Naoto, someone tell me than that godawful novel with the cyborg dude isn't canon.

I'm pretty sure most of the non game material is non canon.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The what with the who?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

To be honest, Kanji's character arc, at least the way I saw it…
Agreed, aside from the last bit about him being boring. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

A Bystander posted:

The what with the who?

There's a light novel starring Naoto. Her partner is a male Aigisbot that turns into a motorcycle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Bystander posted:

The what with the who?

It's called Persona X Detective Naoto.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Bystander posted:

The what with the who?

E:f;b

This loving thing

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_x_Detective_Naoto

:suicide:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty good, you guys should give it a read, digs into Naoto's character some more and the new guy is actually a cool dude.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

There's a light novel starring Naoto. Her partner is a male Aigisbot that turns into a motorcycle.

That sounds really dumb. Should I choose to subject myself to it, what should I expect beyond a probably terrible story?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mustach posted:

Agreed, aside from the last bit about him being boring. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Because it's just a picture of the cast about a year later, and there's no real character stuff to go off, the way they designed him completely stripped him of his characteristics at least from a visual and aesthetic standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Oh, I thought you meant "in the end" as in "overall". Gotcha. I can't remember the picture, though; yet another reason to finish the game again, I suppose.