Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

A reasonable number of those famous manufacturing techniques, the ones related to mechanisation of the system at least, were ignored in Japan (because Japanese labour was hilariously cheap - THAT is one of the big reasons they got successful, and when the price of labour went up they started to stagnate and Korea took over. Korea is now losing (has lost?) out to China for the same reason. Something similar is going on in India, where the wages in outsourcing are going up enough that throwing bodies at a project is becoming too expensive) - that's why so many Brazilians left the country a few years ago. They worked in the automotive industry, and were being replaced by sensors and software.
I think the most interesting thing is that the move to mechanize the manufactoring process in Japan, doesn't quite fit the usual reasoning for some of this. Outsourcing happened in the US (by my take) mainly as a means to increase profit margins. The claim was always to "lower the consumer price" but that hasn't happened. I've never placed Japan as huge on profit taking though, in the 80's nor even now. They sure as hell don't have anything to show for it all now, that's for sure.

Continuing this economic derail. I know very little about what drives decisions in corporate Japan, but are companies as beholden to investors here as they are in the US? Is constant profit gains each quarter as huge a deal here as it is in the US? Was it the case in the 80's (hence the push to etch out more gains)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
They're beholden to investors in an extremely literal interpretation. That's like half the reason keiretsu are keiretsu, the companies within each keiretsu just buy each other's stock so that they don't have to respond to anyone but themselves.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

(I think that pretty much everyone in this thread who's worked in Japan has either been an English teacher or transferred on an ex-pat package so they're unaware of how much weird anti-foreigner bullshit there is in Japan right now in most fields of work - and this was something that started happening around late 2008/early 2009, before then being a foreigner had been considered a benefit)

I'm not sure of every persons' story but there are any number of people here who are/were local hires in non-English teaching jobs.

I'm guessing that, considering the time period you're talking about, the foreigner bias that you're seeing is probably at some level a result of the Lehman shock, either companies having a greater awareness of the (supposed) risk of hiring a foreigner who might up and leave on relatively short notice, or not wishing to put out the money for someone with actual skills because they think they can get results from taking some kid and paying him 15man a month.

There probably is awareness that a large number/most(?) foreigners who get hired tend to quit very quickly, and that a lot of them, even those with language skills, can't mesh with the business culture (of course a lot of that probably has to do with the business culture being such poo poo).

Is your identification of this trend based upon just your own personal observations, or have other people you know noticed the same thing?

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 11, 2013

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah I wouldn't put any stock in personal anecdotes for something like that. Like myself I know several people who have recently been hired as permanent, job-for-life workers for huge corporations including Panasonic, Mitsubishi Fuso, straight up, not transfers or anything. These people are all very, very foreign.

"I didn't get hired for these jobs" is not very compelling, sorry.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'm guessing that, considering the time period you're talking about, the foreigner bias that you're seeing is probably at some level a result of the Lehman shock
You're right, the banking collapse is probably part of it, but it's got nothing to do with the risk of a foreigner leaving (again, you're dealing with companies I'd worked with on and off for years) and more to do with nationalism.

Zo posted:

Like myself I know several people who have recently been hired as permanent, job-for-life workers for huge corporations including Panasonic, Mitsubishi Fuso, straight up, not transfers or anything. These people are all very, very foreign.
What sort of age, what sort of job?
Firstly, there's never been many young technical foreigners getting hired in Japan (My first job in Japan was when I was 23, the only people I've known to do something like that were Chinese citizens who'd gone to university in Japan) and secondly, multinationals have always been a different case.
On top of that the software industry is kinda weird, especially the embedded field. Here what happened is that departments worth of people quit around the turn of the last century, set up their own small companies, and started working contract-to-contract with the companies they'd worked for in the past - however, unlike when you're dealing with outsourcing to India, where you're just talking about "resources", they will actually treat each proposed employee for a project as a new hire (one of the side effects of this is that the only programmers who have "jobs for life" are direct employees of the huge corporations. Oh, and outside the embedded development world, if you're still a "programmer" after the age of 30, it looks weird. One of my friends was actually moved from a dev role to an HR management role after he hit 30, due to his age!)
Can't find any solid statistics infuriatingly but it looks like the number of engineering visas being granted actually started dropping around 2007 which is earlier than I'd have thought - I did notice a New York Times article from 2012 talking about how desperate for foreign engineers Japan is as they'd never outsource development work (this is hilarious - obviously the writer has never heard of the term "Bridge SE" (it's something I did early on, but outsourcing switched from using India to using China, generally setting up Chinese subsidiaries rather than established outsourcers, and I don't speak any Chinese)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ookiimarukochan posted:

What sort of age, what sort of job?

Mid-20s, and the job is just "full time worker". They basically get trained on whatever the company needs and work there - I think this is pretty common but I've never worked as a lifer so I don't know for sure. Although from the two I talk to the most, they actually had some input on what department they wanted to work in. Both of them are engineering graduates.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

"Japan" - I've already explained what a cluster-gently caress software development over there is. There were several points that they brought in new grads and tried to train them up to job that I could already do because I was a foreigner (and, though not making ex-pat money I *was* making more than the fresh grads, partly due to age and partly due to the fact I had an actual engineering degree) There's also the fact that it could well have just been "We'd rather hire a fresh grad than a foreigner" i.e. there is NO way we would hire a foreigner, this being followed with "and of course it's the same in the UK, the US, France, etc etc" which they would believe no matter how many times they were told they were wrong.

One job interview I had (and failed to get) was with a Korean engineer and a Japanese engineer. The Korean and I were bitching about / discussing both the racism issues AND the fact that the visa requirements meant that we were pretty much guaranteed to be better qualified than any of our co-workers (plus how irritating applying for the visa had been) and yet that was ignored day-to-day, and the Japanese engineer was shocked to hear a lot of it.

There were several times I had multiple job interviews, was introduced to the team, shown where I would be sitting, etc etc with only the meaningless formality of checking with the CEO before being made an offer, and the offer then fell through - in these cases the jobs would sit unfulfilled for months if not years, and some times I got contacted again by the companies months later asking if I would want to work for them after all ("no" being the response here)

I applied for one job that required a bilingual developer with fluent English, years of C++ and Java experience, embedded/electronics knowledge a plus - basically a job posting made for me. When I applied I got a response in under 30 minutes saying "Your CV is very good and you are obviously very experienced and able to do this job, but as we are a Japanese company we will not hire any foreigners as they may damage the company culture"

(I think that pretty much everyone in this thread who's worked in Japan has either been an English teacher or transferred on an ex-pat package so they're unaware of how much weird anti-foreigner bullshit there is in Japan right now in most fields of work - and this was something that started happening around late 2008/early 2009, before then being a foreigner had been considered a benefit)

Reminds me of the time Jossos went in for a translation job that fit him perfectly only to be bluntly told "sorry, we want a Japanese person."

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar

ookiimarukochan posted:

Way way way too many Japanese - the majority I suspect - don't realise how bad a mistake it is to ask someone to translate OUT of their A language into a language that for them is B at best. This only gets worse when it's a technical document full of language particular to a certain domain (electronics, software, etc) my favourite tell being when you are reading about "web screens" (ウェブ画面 not "web page" in Japan)
On top of this there's a certain amount of patriotism? Jingoism? "Wanting to protect the Japanese economy"? that means that they will always hire a Japanese national if they can. This last bit is the big reason my wife and I left Japan (and she's a Japanese national who was shocked to see some of the responses to me applying for jobs) - Japanese companies, as of 2 years ago at least, were genuinely more willing to hire a fresh grad from Japan for fairly senior roles than a highly experienced foreigner.

I agree.

One thing that I think both Japanese businesses looking for J-to-E translation and greenhorn translators (like me) in general underestimate is how important it is for anything that could be described as an advertisement to not just be clean and precise, but to have a certain contemporary charm and rhythm. If I were to pursue translation full-time, I might try to acquire some formal training/credentials in marketing and advertisement design (from a western institution, of course). It actually seems like a good opportunity to fill a niche, because way too many companies wind up just handing all their Japanese materials to Joe Freelance and using the direct, complete translation of that rather than something that's been adapted and, where appropriate, rewritten altogether.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly, I don't see any reason to translate advertising materials at all if it can be avoided, rather than starting from scratch. However, the problem I expect you will run into is that it will be hard to convince companies to change things if they are starting from the expectation that they can get by with translation in the first place. Probably the person in charge of getting an English version made won't even have the authority to make editorial decisions about content.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mystes posted:

Honestly, I don't see any reason to translate advertising materials at all if it can be avoided, rather than starting from scratch.

It saves a lot of money and maintains brand coherency.
There are a poo poo-load of gotchas though - MacDonalds decided to use global campaigns AND picked a German agency (To avoid being too Anglo-centric, I believe) who then came up with the "I'd hit it" campaign.

Coca-Cola launched their processed-tap water brand as Dasani in the US and UK (They're usually good about using different names in different territories for a reason that will soon become obvious) and the US agency put out a paper / web campaign that said "Dasani - bottled spunk". The campaign was SUPPOSED to be US only but English-language sites on the internet come up for search results in all English speaking countries... ("spunk" is slang for semen in the UK if you were unaware)

The "Herbal Essances" campaign was world wide, except they didn't re-dub the US advert for the UK, "Urge for Herbal" not making sense in a country which doesn't drop Hs.

Apple's "I'm A Mac" campaign bombed hard in the UK because the Mac ended up coming across as a smug bastard and the PC came across as likeable. Came and went pretty fast in Japan too, for similar reasons I guess.

(If you're a Japanese reseller of foreign software, especially if it's selling into the IT industry rather than the general market, it's pretty common to just translate the English language campaign as-is because with all the loan words involved it's closer to transliteration than translation. Done it myself AND seen it done by even big names like MS and IBM)

Also I think the rebranding of Marathons to Snickers in the UK (to be able to re-use advertising) was a success, and Opal Fruits to Starburst was a partial success - they do do nostalgia runs with the original name from time to time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nah, when I was looking for my first real job here at least half the places I looked at just straight up said we don't hire foreigners. I've since learned to read the warning signs and don't even apply at those places anymore. For programming jobs at small companies at least, you can get a pretty good read on a company just by the kind of technology they're using.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Stringent posted:

Nah, when I was looking for my first real job here at least half the places I looked at just straight up said we don't hire foreigners.
Right - but a bunch of the companies that used to, stopped doing so (One of the markers for me was when the first place I was a seisyain at dropped the "We have foreigners working for us, that shows we're a great place to work at" from their profile on enjapan. Also an NEC child company saying that to my face)

Zo posted:

huge corporations including Panasonic, Mitsubishi Fuso
I sort of missed this earlier, but you've managed to include one of the world's biggest multinationals AND a German-owned company there. Not the greatest set of examples - please don't tell me you were going to use "Nissan" as your reserve example.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 12, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mystes posted:

Honestly, I don't see any reason to translate advertising materials at all if it can be avoided, rather than starting from scratch.
For certain products they'll use literally the exact same thing, shipping it all over the world. In that case consistency is a key. Even in a more localized approach major European companies will have the whole backside of a package taken up in translations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fine, I suppose there are reasons why it would be a good idea, I'm just not convinced that this applies to most cases in which Japanese companies would actually try to translate existing advertising copy into English.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 12, 2013

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ookiimarukochan posted:

I sort of missed this earlier, but you've managed to include one of the world's biggest multinationals AND a German-owned company there. Not the greatest set of examples - please don't tell me you were going to use "Nissan" as your reserve example.

I don't know why they aren't good examples. They are extremely Japanese companies and it seems you just want to pull an endless list of excuses to make up for your own personal failure in not being able to land certain jobs. Yes clearly the local HR guy got an emergency call from his German overlord eight management layers up to hire my buddy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

So in case anyone hasn't heard, Wikileaks has a TPP draft. I'm looking forward to seeing how opinions about the TPP are affected after the Japanese media have a chance to read it.

Edit: Oh, it's just the intellectual property part which most people in Japan won't give a crap about, that's too bad. I hope they get the rest.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 14, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Snowden barely got a peep here, I dunno why this new revelation would do anything unless rice counts as an intellectual property. (Knowing Japan it probably does somewhere)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Snowden barely got a peep here, I dunno why this new revelation would do anything unless rice counts as an intellectual property. (Knowing Japan it probably does somewhere)
Well, it's interesting in that you can read what countries are proposing on different issue and the US and Japan appear to be opposed on many. So, while this document doesn't concern the all-important rice issue, it may get the attention of those who were already concerned about Japan getting a poor deal in the TPP negotiation process.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Genetically modified rice maybe? I assume Japan bans that all anyway because of :tinfoil: science :tinfoil:.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Aren't they about to add some laws upping the penalties for whistle blowing? I doubt they'd want the papers talking about Snowden and getting people thinking about it before they could pass those.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Similar to how before the last election the supreme court found that the disparity in the weight of votes was unconstitutional but wasn't about to actually stop the election because of it, now the supreme court has found that indeed the election was kind of sort of unconstitutional but not like invalid or anything.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Rule of law, who needs that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well to be fair, if they did invalidate the election then there wouldn't be a Diet to fix the problem.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

But if they don't invalidate it why bother fixing it at all? Haven't the past like, three elections been unconstitutional?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

In 1976 and 1985, the Supreme Court ruled that disparities of up to 4.99 times and 4.40 times in lower house elections conducted under multiple-seat electoral system in 1972 and 1983, respectively, were unconstitutional, but fell short of declaring the results invalid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, the Japanese Supreme court has ruled multiple elections unconstitutional but specifically avoided saying "invalid" to avoid the clusterfuck it would cause.

Is that a cultural "don't rock the boat" thing or do the politicians and political parties hold so much power that not even the national Supreme court can cross that line and cause a government crisis.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 21, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, their supreme court is some weak sauce.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

pentyne posted:

So, the Japanese Supreme court has ruled multiple elections unconstitutional but specifically avoided saying "invalid" to avoid the clusterfuck it would cause.

Is that a cultural "don't rock the boat" thing or do the politicians and political parties hold so much power that not even the national Supreme court can cross that line and cause a government crisis.

A little of A, a little of B. Plus being able to count on your population largely not giving a poo poo helps too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, their supreme court is some weak sauce.

What do you propose? To declare the results invalid means to topple the government and to dissolve the parliament, which is a pretty big deal and goes a little beyond just "Checks and Balances". In an ideal world, declaring a result unconstitutional spurs parliament to change the election laws. Except in this situation they didn't, because what are you going to do, drag us from the chamber :smugdog:?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ArchangeI posted:

What do you propose? To declare the results invalid means to topple the government and to dissolve the parliament, which is a pretty big deal and goes a little beyond just "Checks and Balances". In an ideal world, declaring a result unconstitutional spurs parliament to change the election laws. Except in this situation they didn't, because what are you going to do, drag us from the chamber :smugdog:?

Well, there is another route, which is what I think they're hoping to do; they can change the constitution.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

The Supreme Court should have made the parliament fix this before, when it didn't have to choose between on one hand taking a dump on the constitution and making itself look powerless by making up a fictitious and meaningless distinction about a "state of unconstitutionality", and on the other hand causing a legitimacy crisis.

Stringent posted:

Well, there is another route, which is what I think they're hoping to do; they can change the constitution.
Oh, so this is what the LDP was talking about when they said that the constitution needed to be updated for modern times! Too bad Japan didn't change Article 96 and give Abe carte blanche!

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if his solution would be to change the constitution to make the vote disparity constitutional considering the LDP stands to benefit from it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 21, 2013

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So the latest with the Senkakus/Diayou islands is China incorporating them in an air-defense zone.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/11/japan-protests-new-china-air-defence-zone-2013112313117557543.html

How much of an escalation does this actually represent? If Japanese aircraft stop entering airspace over the islands or acknowledge Chinese authority, that seems like a significant gain to China. On the other hand, if they don't acknowledge the Chinese when entering island airspace, the Chinese government/military might feel they're forced to respond or lose face. The Chinese've done stuff like this in the past with the Philippines in the South China sea, but Japan seems a lot less likely to back down.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So the latest with the Senkakus/Diayou islands is China incorporating them in an air-defense zone.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/11/japan-protests-new-china-air-defence-zone-2013112313117557543.html

How much of an escalation does this actually represent? If Japanese aircraft stop entering airspace over the islands or acknowledge Chinese authority, that seems like a significant gain to China. On the other hand, if they don't acknowledge the Chinese when entering island airspace, the Chinese government/military might feel they're forced to respond or lose face. The Chinese've done stuff like this in the past with the Philippines in the South China sea, but Japan seems a lot less likely to back down.

I don't think Japan can really back down here. Significantly Japan also made the RoE for drones that they can be shot down if they don't respond demands to leave... basically escalation on both sides.

At the moment of course it's all still words, but every time they do these things they increase the chance that someone will start shooting.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I don't think Japan can really back down here. Significantly Japan also made the RoE for drones that they can be shot down if they don't respond demands to leave... basically escalation on both sides.

At the moment of course it's all still words, but every time they do these things they increase the chance that someone will start shooting.

Though, Japan said it would consider shooting drones down, which leaves them an out if they don't. China, on the other hand, has placed an active requirement on aircraft entering Senkaku/Diayou airspace. That seems like a significant escalation.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
My feeling is that nothing will really change. All they are doing is publicly announcing they are meeting Japan policy for policy. Most of the waters around Senkaku are still Aircraft ID zones, and shooting first and asking questions later isn't usually what you do in those areas.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Well, the state secret bill just passed the lower house, so nothing stands in its way anymore, despite overwhelming public opposition.

For those who are not aware, it's a heavy handed and broad bill that punishes any leaks which create "obstacles" to national security. The terms for what kind of information is considered classified are also unclear. This kind of language basically lets the government jail anybody they want on vague terms.

I mean we all know japan and the uk are basically US puppet states but it's cute how hard they try to emulate america.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Zo posted:

I mean we all know japan and the uk are basically US puppet states but it's cute how hard they try to emulate america.
I've always felt the two have always gone overboard in whatever they emulate as well. What is it, some attempt to show they can actually do more than the US?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

I've always felt the two have always gone overboard in whatever they emulate as well. What is it, some attempt to show they can actually do more than the US?
Yeah, I see this opinion on 2ch all the time. "Good job (current prime minister), keep loving us even worse than the US government fucks its citizens".

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kenishi posted:

Part of the rationale for this legislation had to do with being able to be kept in the informational loop on things in the future. The thinking is that if Japan doesn't have similar kinds of protection of state secrets to the US then the US won't be comfortable giving Japan information because there wouldn't be as many assurances that it wouldn't be leaked. It's kind of dumb logic considering we still get leaks in the US even with similar laws, but the mechanics of it seem less important than the message-sending aspect of it.

Since the message-sending aspect is actually more important then it makes sense in a kind of, "well now nobody would ever be able to complain about X again!" kind of way.

This is the common justification I've heard for it in Japanese media every time the issue is brought up. It'll be interesting to see if the law is ever actually enforced. I have a feeling it might actually be since this one involves giving the government more power to screw people over rather than taking that power away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I see this opinion on 2ch all the time. "Good job (current prime minister), keep loving us even worse than the US government fucks its citizens".

THANKS ABEMA