Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dang, I really hope Reynardine says something comforting soon, I hate seeing even a fictional kid feel this way about who they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stop worrying about that, and think about more smooches.

Also haha, Rey's got cat lounging platforms. :haw:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"Do you think I'm wierd?" she asks the animated wolf plushie posessed by a misguided wolf demigod. Owned by her best friend, the girl who can set herself on fire that burns very selectively. In a school that apparently grew up from a seed planted in the woods. Where a humongous inteligent crustacean is the doorkeeper, and that's just the start.

If anything, Paz is wierd, she can talk to animals, how is THAT normal?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Plus her dad can make telescopes appear wherever he wants in the Court!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kikas posted:

Talking to animals is normal. It's when they talk back that things get weird.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Kikas posted:

"Do you think I'm wierd?" she asks the animated wolf plushie posessed by a misguided wolf demigod.

Your mistaken. Rey is a FOX.

Very important difference.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Kikas posted:

"Do you think I'm wierd?" she asks the animated wolf plushie posessed by a misguided wolf demigod. Owned by her best friend, the girl who can set herself on fire that burns very selectively. In a school that apparently grew up from a seed planted in the woods. Where a humongous inteligent crustacean is the doorkeeper, and that's just the start.

Yeah, I was actually surprised to see Kat worrying about what people would think of her because of this. I just assumed that, in a world where technology and magic had been separated by a canyon created by a laughing wolf god, whose brother was in love with a human, homosexuality wouldn't really be a thing people cared about.

Guess I was wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bot 02 posted:

Yeah, I was actually surprised to see Kat worrying about what people would think of her because of this. I just assumed that, in a world where technology and magic had been separated by a canyon created by a laughing wolf god, whose brother was in love with a human, homosexuality wouldn't really be a thing people cared about.

Guess I was wrong.

We have smart phones and airplanes and streaming netflix and hologram Tupacs, yet there's still bigots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bot 02 posted:

Even if the people around you would obviously not care and you should be able to see that, that doesn't stop you from crapping your pants over it. Side effect of having 'this is weird and people will hate you for it' banged into you by popular culture and the news for your entire life.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 27, 2013

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Lurdiak posted:

We have smart phones and airplanes and streaming netflix and hologram Tupacs, yet there's still bigots.
This is a good post and you should feel good for making it and I can see myself paraphrasing it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If holographic Tupacs don't get rid of bigots, nothing will. Totally unreasonable.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Lurdiak posted:

That is a very good point, I hadn't considered it from that angle.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Yeah, it's the holo2pacs that make the argument work.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Now I want a holotupac. Where can they be found?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Now I want a holotupac. Where can they be found?

You can't! Apparently the the company that created holo-tupac has since gone chapter eleven.

More here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Domain

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Honestly, living in the hyper liberal Canadian university environment makes me forget bigots even exist sometimes. So this comic just made me think "what fuckin' decade is this set in?" when I realized I don't actually know what decade this comic is set in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FutureSushi posted:

Honestly, living in the hyper liberal Canadian university environment makes me forget bigots even exist sometimes. So this comic just made me think "what fuckin' decade is this set in?" when I realized I don't actually know what decade this comic is set in.

Trust me, even in the most accepting environment on Earth where there are no bigots within a hundred kilometres, kids will still have this terror. :smith:

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

FutureSushi posted:

This one I'd imagine considering the anime dancing games.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

FutureSushi posted:

Kat played Metal Gear Solid 4 earlier so either the 00/10s , or in the faaar fuuutuure.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lurdiak posted:

Dang, I really hope Reynardine says something comforting soon, I hate seeing even a fictional kid feel this way about who they are.

He's probably gonna follow it up with something like "But humans are also capable of great compassion and camaraderie; for instance: however Annie feels about this, tell her that someone hurt you over it and I doubt that you will find them to be not on fire for very long"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

MikeJF posted:

Trust me, even in the most accepting environment on Earth where there are no bigots within a hundred kilometres, kids will still have this terror. :smith:

Because there's always something we do, say, think, like, or want that deviates from what we perceive to be the norm, and when you're a kid, that can eat you alive. Man, I wouldn't be a teenager again for the world.

Edit:

Rasamune posted:

He's probably gonna follow it up with something like "But humans are also capable of great compassion and camaraderie; for instance: however Annie feels about this, tell her that someone hurt you over it and I doubt that you will find them to be not on fire for very long"

Yeah, I think that's what Wise Counselor Rey is angling towards. Because Annie may find other people's sexuality confusing, but Kat's her best friend and she will torch a motherfucker.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 27, 2013

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This character development is nice and all, but I'm still waiting for Annie eating a huge pizza and going "woo! yeah!" (about the pizza) :mad:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You know, it doesn't seem that Kat is worried so much about whether homosexuality is right or not, but if it's quote-unquote normal. And compared to the average it isn't - I don't think it's controversial to say heterosexual relationships are more common than homosexual ones, and anything that separates you from your peers at that age is something that can be used to make you feel bad about yourself. Please note that I'm not saying that homosexuality is weird or immoral or anything stupid like that, just not as common as heterosexuality.
So yeah Rey it's time to cheer this girl up.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Commonality does not imply normality, and the inverse.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, that might be true for a dictionary definition of "normal", but it's a loaded word and a lot of people take "not normal" to mean "bad". Both people who don't like what's different to themselves, and people who are "different" and worry about not being accepted.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah, that might be true for a dictionary definition of "normal", but it's a loaded word and a lot of people take "not normal" to mean "bad". Both people who don't like what's different to themselves, and people who are "different" and worry about not being accepted.

Yep, and that's exactly the sort of messed up thinking caused by anxiousness.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Prison Warden posted:

Kat played Metal Gear Solid 4 earlier so either the 00/10s , or in the faaar fuuutuure.

It couldn't be that far in the future, given the sort-of timeline in Jones' chapter. Assuming Eglamore is in his early/mid 40s, this takes place sometime in the '70s. Jones' nurse uniform would have been pretty archaic if it was any later, and she keeps up to date with fashion.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If you've paid me for a comic, it has been posted. I think only one dude hasn't actually paid yet though. :)

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Parley was afraid of being seen by her friends with Smitty because he's one year younger. Teenagers make a big deal out of really inconsequential things.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Heavy Zed posted:

Parley was afraid of being seen by her friends with Smitty because he's one year younger. Teenagers make a big deal out of really inconsequential things.

Well, that and her one very colorful friend was thoroughly unbearable and she'd definitely hear no end of grief about it.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Well yeah that's kind of my point. Kids aren't born afraid of being different. They learn it somewhere.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure why you would think there's a connection between those. There's no single continuum that culture exists along where at one end you have technological progress and homosexuality is viewed as normal and at the other you have no technology and homosexuality is viewed as abnormal. Furthermore, whether or not homosexuality is "normal" is a cultural and aesthetic question, not a technical issue that can be proven or disproven, unless you approach from an essentially religious perspective, where value can be understood as inherent rather than assigned.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I'm not sure why you would think there's a connection between those. There's no single continuum that culture exists along where at one end you have technological progress and homosexuality is viewed as normal and at the other you have no technology and homosexuality is viewed as abnormal.

Yeah I think that's the whole point since Lurdiak was responding to this:

Bot 02 posted:

I just assumed that, in a world where technology and magic had been separated by a canyon created by a laughing wolf god, whose brother was in love with a human, homosexuality wouldn't really be a thing people cared about.

Basically the real world changes in ways that are just as crazy and unpredictable as the ones in any fiction but there's no reason to think that directly translates to some fundamental change in the way people act and think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heavy Zed posted:

Basically the real world changes in ways that are just as crazy and unpredictable as the ones in any fiction but there's no reason to think that directly translates to some fundamental change in the way people act and think.

That was my point exactly, yes.

The reason I was so hooked on Transmetropolitan when I read it initially was that this was a world so technologically far ahead of our own that it was insane, yet nothing else had changed at all. Same prejudice, same income inequality, same focus on shallow material gain... Technology didn't bring about a Star Trek type utopia, because you can't solve social issues with gimmicks. And no matter how much the world we live in changes, we'll stick to our old flaws unless we directly confront them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Edit beaten like goddamn

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Look at Rey tilting his head in the first panel. That is adorable. :3:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Heavy Zed posted:

Yeah, I think I picked the wrong post from the conversation to respond to when I switched from phone reader to computer to actually post.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, I just realised that the pedestals in front of the bookshelf (one of which Kat is sitting on) are presumably there so that Rey can hop between them to reach the upper shelves. That's a cool little detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Reynardine's not too good at the "cheer up" business! Maybe it'd go better if Kat had let him make light of things with a lewd remark after all!