Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Weird, I always assumed you couldn't report a mod.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Anand and Brian of AnandTech wrote an article about some of our favorite things to argue about. I think it would be nice if the OP linked to it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7543/a-post-about-removable-storage-removable-batteries-and-smartphones

quote:

Ultimately this is where the position comes from. MicroSD cards themselves represent a performance/endurance tradeoff, there is potentially a physical tradeoff (nerfing a unibody design...

I don't see why a microSD card slot can't be like the Sim card tray slot, it doesn't HAVE to use a removable back to install it. 32/64 GB microsd cards are so drat cheap, you can install one and never remove it from your phone (unless it goes bad or you're selling it) so the inconvenience of needing to remove it every now and then is moot.

Also, i await the day that phones with 3000+ mah batteries and 64 GB/128 GB memory on phones is the norm for a reasonable price Mr Anand Lal Shimpi.

*crickets*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Has anyone else noticed any of these issues since updating an HTC One to 4.3 (network Telstra in Australia, for version reference)?

1) In calls have been able to accidentally bring down the notification bar and hit Airplane mode, or hit the Mute/Speaker icons (presumably the sensor to turn the screen off isn't working perfectly any more).
2) Phone soft-reset a few times.
3) This morning the phone couldn't detect the SIM suddenly, but after putting it in/out of Airplane mode it was fine.

All issues have started since the update was made a couple of days ago.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Engadget review of the Moto G.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/26/moto-g-review/

It utterly destroys the "budget" category of phones.

To tell you the truth, it seems like it would be hard to recommend anything else to most normal buyers.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I recommended the G to a friend who wanted a <£150 device mostly just for reading, browsing, and music. And she seems to be pretty happy with it. She lives at the other end of the country so I've not actually seen it myself.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Maybe this belongs more in the rooted thread, but it kept me from buying a nexus 5 and you don't actually have to root your phone or anything, so I felt like it might belong here?

Once your phone's updated to kitkat, you can sideload (download the .apk and allow unkown sources for your phone) the Google Experience Launcher. Since the deciding factor for me upgrading from a nexus 4 to a nexus 5 was to get voice commands from the home screen, this has saved me from doing so for a while!

http://www.howtogeek.com/176009/how-to-install-and-use-the-google-experience-launcher-on-any-android-device/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

To tell you the truth, it seems like it would be hard to recommend anything else to most normal buyers.

It's still a hard sell on CDMA since 3G sucks so bad, but for GSM prepaid, it's really really compelling.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Upgraded my converted GPE HTC One to 4.4 today. One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned was that Toast notifications have a new look. Still not a great UI choice, but it's better. Most apps are working fine with ART (Falcon Pro's settings take about ~5 seconds to load, and tweets are bolded if you don't have "Use device font" selected). Multitasking is the fastest it's ever been, and there's next to no scroll lag in apps that use webview. And with the new GPE launcher thing installed I even get a transparent notification bar!

Very happy with the update.

Whoa, I didn't know you could convert a standard HTC One (mine is with T-Mobile) into a GPE One. Is there a guide somewhere to do this? Also, is it easy to do?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

It's still a hard sell on CDMA since 3G sucks so bad, but for GSM prepaid, it's really really compelling.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the LTE thing. (because there's no LTE within 50 miles of me)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Hex color codes for rgb notification leds?

I have cyanogen on my s3, it lets you set a hex color code for the notification led or you can set like I do with the graphical color-picker thing. They look kind of washed out ever since I did a flatten & reinstall, I had them looking good before.

Are there recommended hex values for the purest red, green, blue, white whatever colors?

edit: just found this, these work pretty good so far http://www.computerhope.com/htmcolor.htm

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
New user question

I ask Google now to set a timer. Where do I see where the timer is afterwards? The clock app doesn't show poo poo. But it still goes off.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
At the bottom of google now, there should be a little icon of a finger w/ a bow tied around it.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Skeezy posted:

Whoa, I didn't know you could convert a standard HTC One (mine is with T-Mobile) into a GPE One. Is there a guide somewhere to do this? Also, is it easy to do?
It's totally doable, but not the easiest process ever. Also the process depends heavily on exactly what bootloader and rom are on your phone right now, which could vary depending on how old it is.

It requires:
  • Ability to use the Android SDK (adb & fastboot)
  • Rooting and getting S-OFF
  • Wiping your phone a few times
  • Voiding your warranty
  • Slogging through a bunch of terrible XDA Bullshit
This guide is the one I followed to get the device unlocked, rooted, and install a custom recovery (so you can do full-device backups). Then you need S-OFF, you can get that via revone, or rumrunner on windows, or moonshine (depending on your OS / bootloader version / rom version). (I downgraded to 4.2.2 and used revone.) Then once you've got S-OFF, you can RUU it into a Google Play Edition by fiddling with your Model ID and Cell ID (more info on all that). Then it's a GPe phone and will get future OTA updates.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sometimes when I have more than one app that has an update and I hit the button to update them all, one or two will get skipped. Anyone else have this, or know of of a way to prevent it from happening?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It's still a budget phone. Especially for any carrier where you get a subsidy, are you really going to recommend a free on contract Moto G over a ~$50 on contract Moto X or HTC One or LG G2 (lol)?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

Ă°Â’ÂƒÂ» Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ“Ă°Â’Â‰ð’‹« 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

The Human Cow posted:

Looks like the wood-backed Moto X should be popping up in the next couple weeks.

Pssh, my case has fake wood grain already, on top of fake leather

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

It's still a budget phone. Especially for any carrier where you get a subsidy, are you really going to recommend a free on contract Moto G over a ~$50 on contract Moto X or HTC One or LG G2 (lol)?

When I recommend stuff, I'll say "get this or this or this" and the G on pre-paid will certainly be on that list along with the X on contract.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
So the headphone jack on the Droid Maxx is loving terrible

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The G isn't a budget phone. Pretty much anything with a processor over 1.2Ghz - which the G has - will run 4.4 like a charm, you just really miss out on 1080p, which isn't a huge inconvenience. It's a good time to be in the market for a phone, because now that Google owns Motorola, Apple, Microsoft, and every Android phone maker can't just half-rear end it anymore - everything has to be held to Google's benchmark. Apple offering two 'classes' of iPhones now should be proof enough that the market's changed.

I don't even know why you'd buy an iPod Touch anymore when you can get a G off-contract for ~199 or less and keep it as a SIM-burner or month-to-month.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 27, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The G isn't a budget phone. Pretty much anything with a processor over 1.2Ghz - which the G has - will run 4.4 like a charm, you just really miss out on 1080p, which isn't a huge inconvenience. It's a good time to be in the market for a phone, because now that Google owns Motorola, Apple, Microsoft, and every Android phone maker can't just half-rear end it anymore - everything has to be held to Google's benchmark. Apple offering two 'classes' of iPhones now should be proof enough that the market's changed.

It only has 1gb of RAM though, which is really gonna make it chug on multitasking, especially if you get Chrome anywhere near it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

big mean giraffe posted:

It only has 1gb of RAM though, which is really gonna make it chug on multitasking, especially if you get Chrome anywhere near it.

Well, that's what Puffin's for, really.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

TenaciousTomato posted:

So the headphone jack on the Droid Maxx is loving terrible

Good post! Mine works great! Ice cream sandwiches with cookies for the bread part are real good. My favorite color is red. Bye!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Sounds nice for a budget phone though. When I 1st got into android phones with my inspire/desire hd early 2011 a buddy at work wanted to also, he wanted a motorola bravo $50 on contract where mine was $100. We're not poors. I tried to explain he wasn't paying half as much as me, he was getting a $350 poo poo phone where I had a $400 awesome phone. He immediately dashed to his car to go get the bravo in all its iphone-3-screen 320x240 donut glory.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 27, 2013

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Good post! Mine works great! Ice cream sandwiches with cookies for the bread part are real good. My favorite color is red. Bye!

:wtc:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I'd say his post was about as helpful as yours.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Ok so it's wobbly from left to right, makes terrible interference sound when plugged in and I have only owned it for 2 weeks. my 2 year old Rezound never had this issue and on top it came with good headphones for free :colbert:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Oh please, 1gb isn't that lackluster. Considering 4.4 will still cater to 512mb devices I don't see the G being that unbearable for it's price, or unbearable at all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, my RAZR m has 1GB of ram and runs fine. Chrome multitasking and everything.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TenaciousTomato posted:

Ok so it's wobbly from left to right, makes terrible interference sound when plugged in and I have only owned it for 2 weeks. my 2 year old Rezound never had this issue and on top it came with good headphones for free :colbert:

So it's clearly defective, take it back and ask for a replacement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

So it's clearly defective, take it back and ask for a replacement.

Exactly.

I've been using mine more as a music device than any phone I've had before it (due, in no small part to 6 months free All Access) and my headphone jack 100% fine.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'd say the headphone jack in the Maxx might even rule. I like how it holds the pluggy part of the headphones in it and sends the music to my head!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RVProfootballer posted:

I like my G2 sir. Great device.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

bull3964 posted:

6 months free All Access)
Do tell.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Do tell.

The Maxx used to come with 6 months of free Play Music All Access. It does not anymore, now you get the same 50 GB Drive promo as the X.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

big mean giraffe posted:

As others have said, it's not really an issue. Until last week I had a Samsung Galaxy S2 and did just fine with 1 GB, even with 10 tabs in Chrome. It's absolutely not like my old iPad 2 (512 MB), which drove me crazy with all its tab reloading in Safari if you dared to switch to anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

The Maxx used to come with 6 months of free Play Music All Access. It does not anymore, now you get the same 50 GB Drive promo as the X.

The 6 months All Access still seems to be active.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/droid-maxx?selectedContractTerm=2

I got the 50gb free Google drive as well.

I just had to sign in with the Play Music app when I got the phone and the 6 months free was activated.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

I like my G2 sir. Great device.

Thanks for letting us all know! I've been wondering if famed pitcher EbolaIvory was still enjoying his Android-powered smart telephone!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sleepwalkers posted:

Thanks for letting us all know! I've been wondering if famed pitcher EbolaIvory was still enjoying his Android-powered smart telephone!

drat straight. I doubt it'll survive the fabled fastball thought. Not with just this flip cover anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

big mean giraffe posted:

Chrome is the only browser pre-installed :v:

• Locked thread