Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Even if Simon dies after Castlevania II, Konami can just reuse him in a remake of Castlevania I again.

Like they did with Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle, Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania Chronicles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Pretending that a bunch of sidescrollers with barely anything even resembling a plot are all part of a larger story is pretty funny. Reminds me of the whole "Zelda timeline, no really it's all one big continuity" thing. I just look at them all as different takes on the same concept. If there actually was a story in any meaningful sense that'd be different.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Guilty posted:

Pretending that a bunch of sidescrollers with barely anything even resembling a plot are all part of a larger story is pretty funny. Reminds me of the whole "Zelda timeline, no really it's all one big continuity" thing. I just look at them all as different takes on the same concept. If there actually was a story in any meaningful sense that'd be different.

Both creators/directors of Zelda and Castlevania have officially said the games, even if they are light on plot, all are part of a cohesive timeline.

It's one thing for the fandom to do it, i.e. trying to tie the FF games into one timeline when they're specifically not, but it's different when the actual designers do it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pope Guilty posted:

There's been an unambiguous ongoing story in Castlevania since day one. Here's the official timeline: http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania_Timeline
It isn't important to the gameplay or anything, but it wasn't just thrown together one day to shut up the fans like the Zelda timeline.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I get that it's official and intentional, I just think it's silly when the story exists 99% in the manuals, is all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Zelda and Castlevania are similar in that tere are points in both series' history where they had to take the original who-gives-a-poo poo "timeline" and try to wrestle it into something coherent, and in both instances the producers talked about how it was a pain in the arse and how they only do it because the fans complain when they don't.

IGA had it tougher than the Zelda dudes, due to the fact that he'd adopted a fairly rigid cycle (Drac's resurrection every 100 years) that he had to either adhere to or find convoluted loopholes to avoid. Part of why he tried to rebrand the JP Akumajou Dracula games as "Castlevania" is because he figured it'd give him more latitude to just make games about whatever and not have to worry about finding a way to include Dracula or the castle or whatever (not that it worked).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pope Guilty posted:

I get that it's official and intentional, I just think it's silly when the story exists 99% in the manuals, is all.

"What a bunch of nerds", got it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The plot has existed outside the manual since Castlevania III arguably and certainly since Rondo of Blood which had cutscenes and everything. SotN is probably where it crossed the line from 'wacky video game plot" to "we're making this poo poo ongoing" though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, random question, but has there ever been an in-story explanation for why Dracula's head is typically his only weak-point in his human form? Considering some of the stuff they've bent over backwards trying to explain, I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm willing to wager it has something to do with how one of the methods to deal with a vampire (or one of the steps in teh process) is cutting off its head.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's because it's a video game.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Getting hit in the face with a whip really hurts, okay?

I can't remember if you had to hit Walter in the face or not. At least he was actually wearing armour.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

MarsDragon posted:

Getting hit in the face with a whip really hurts, okay?

I can't remember if you had to hit Walter in the face or not. At least he was actually wearing armour.

I'm pretty sure "Dracula" From Castlevania 64 was the only "Dracula" in a 3D game that you had to hit in the head.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

swamp waste posted:

Lords of Shadow actually gets this pretty good in terms of visual design, if not lighting, but the epic power struggles between you and the bad guys end up undermining it. Maybe it's just because Simon / Trevor could literally do less stuff, but in the old games it feels like this crazy occult poo poo is relentlessly happening to you and you're just trying to hang on, rather than triumphantly conquering it.

To be fair, Lords of Shadow nails the whole "occult poo poo loving over the main characters" thing really well if you look at the actual story presented within the narrative. It's literally every part of the impetus and motivation behind the main character's actions.

I can forgive the crazy power struggles since it's literally the first Belmont establishing his legend, and the reveal at the end that he was loving Dracula all along. Lords of Shadow 2 seems to be amping up the human misery and darkness of the setting to insane degrees as well if the trailers are anything to go by.

Plus, the game let me deliver an atomic aerial suplex to satan while an amazing soundtrack blared in the background. I mean, holy crap, how could you not love that?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pneub posted:

I'm pretty sure "Dracula" From Castlevania 64 was the only "Dracula" in a 3D game that you had to hit in the head.

Er, why are you specifying 3D?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Anatharon posted:

Er, why are you specifying 3D?

Because I was talking about the 3D games. Walter was the Dracula analog in LoI.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pneub posted:

Because I was talking about the 3D games. Walter was the Dracula analog in LoI.

Oh I see where that conversation went now. At first I was confused because the other guy hadn't specified 3D, and didn't notice someone ELSE mention Walter.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Well, I was just talking about non-Dracula vampires in general, but whatever. I'm still going with "it really hurts to be hit in the face".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

Well, I was just talking about non-Dracula vampires in general, but whatever. I'm still going with "it really hurts to be hit in the face".

Wikipedia's got a few notes on the head weakness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
It's probably been said about 100 times in this thread but I played through Rondo of Blood for the 1st time on the VC a month ago and the game completely blew my mind. Pretty much old school CV perfection.

Oh and to some of the people complaining about the lighting in Circle of the Moon, that was the best GBA CV and if you played it on your Gameboy Player and you wouldn't have that problem :c00lbert:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I played Circle of the Moon with a bright desk lamp so close to me that it was practically burning my face and blinding me at the same time. It was totally worth it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Johnny Cage posted:

to some of the people complaining about the lighting in Circle of the Moon, that was the best GBA CV and if you played it on your Gameboy Player and you wouldn't have that problem :c00lbert:

You have good taste in Castlevania, but Aria of Sorrow was an excellent game. Coming from someone who loved Circle of the Moon enough to play every mode.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

While I love Circle of the Moon, one of the most memorable moments for me was when I put it in my DS and SUDDENLY THE GAME HAD BACKGROUNDS.

Also gently caress Bloody Swords forever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Apparently Circle of the Moon had a twin Zombie Dragon boss. All I remember is entering a very dark room and being in pain for about 15 minutes.

Years later I would learn the truth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Apparently Circle of the Moon had a twin Zombie Dragon boss. All I remember is entering a very dark room and being in pain for about 15 minutes.

Kneel, spin whip, walk away. Victory through tedium and easily my least favorite boss in any Castlevania.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Circle of the Moon's probably the hardest metroidvania. The DS games come close on the first playthrough, but there isn't anywhere near as much potential to break CotM.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pneub posted:

Circle of the Moon's probably the hardest metroidvania. The DS games come close on the first playthrough, but there isn't anywhere near as much potential to break CotM.

Ecclesia's harder, I'd say. You can do some pretty impressive stuff, though.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Barudak posted:

Look, if I have to play Soma as he chooses from a harem of animes who gets to become the Bride of Dracula I don't give a crap if I get a new metroidvania game.

Porphyra Shoujo?

Pneub posted:

Order of Ecclesia comes close, but I have to agree with this post. Compared to CotM, AoS was a cakewalk. I always had problems with HoD, though that was probably just me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pneub posted:

Without breaking the game, I think that Order of Ecclesia is easily the most difficult. No denying that it's not incredibly easy to break, though, which is unfortunate. The game is so easy to break that a lot of people don't even see what the late game bosses are capable of.

Speaking of which, I just finished up a challenge run of OoE over in the LP forum. I beat the game on level 1 hard mode with 128 health and 50 hearts and generally tried to break the game as little as possible while still beating all of the areas and getting all of the boss medals. If you want to see the just how difficult the game can be, check it out here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Well, that fight has the best music in the whole game, so hopefully you remember that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grEo9SJU57w

CotM actually has one of my favourite CV soundtracks, since it's essentially just a "Best of" compilation. The GBA audio doesn't sound great these days, but what can you do?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 26, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
COTM is also hard by the virtue of its rather poor play control. It plays more like a NES Castlevania with its slightly curmudgeonly jumping and whipping.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
CotM has kind of stiff control, but I actually think it's way better than Harmony of Dissonance at least. I recently tried to replay that game and I can't tell you how many times I jumped into an enemy because when you whip in mid-air, you basically become locked into your current trajectory.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
CoTM is harder than I remember it, but it was my first exploration-type Castlevania so I didn't have a great basis for comparison.

In a lot of ways I like the tough level design better than AoS, there's definitely a lot more "oh poo poo I've been exploring for ten minutes, I only have a quarter full health bar and no hearts, there has to be a save room around here SOMEPLACE and I'm so hosed if I don't find it soon." Which is cool. A lot more skeletons perched on every ledge to knock you around if you don't time things right. And boss fights which don't refill your health at the end, have fun limping back to the save room with a tiny sliver of health.

Overall, I think I like AoS a tiny bit better just because it's so polished and fun. But from a level design perspective, CoTM has tons to recommend it, and it's cool how it seems to have a bit more old school Castlevania vibe to it, compared to the later games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
CotM is better simply because you have a whip. There I said it. :colbert:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
AoS has a whip sword, which is pretty much the best early-mid game weapon, but I can't really argue with that line of thinking.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
CoTM's difficulty comes mainly from bullshit design decisions, such as making all items enemy drops, eliminating post-boss recovery orbs, positioning save rooms way too far from them and making you run halfway across the castle if you want to switch subweapons.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

CotM is better simply because you have a whip. There I said it. :colbert:

HoD had a whip AND is visible on an actual GBA :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MarsDragon posted:

HoD had a whip AND is visible on an actual GBA :colbert:

Counterpoint: HoD is visible on an actual GBA (it's ugly). HoD also sounds bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HoD is also bad in general. That game is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

HoD is also bad in general. That game is horrible.

Really? I liked it. Beat it but not AoS or CotM. It wasn't the bast by far but it was okay. I'm assuming this is typical goon hyperbole?