Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I put some more stickers on, guys :v:

The graphics pack I ordered came with another set of the silver and orange '625 LC4" stickers that you can see on the black panels. I'm thinking about putting them on both handguards facing forward, but I'm not sure if it looks awful. I kind of love the 80s/90s bikes that liked to tell you all about themselves through :krad: decals, though. (e.g. "SINGLE CAM", "THUMPER!", "SPARK IGNITION")

Keep in mind that the white is just backing paper. So it could either look kind of neat, or terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hadn't really thought to look before, but today I discovered that my rear plastics on the 690 is all scratched up from me lifting my boot juuuust high enough and then sliding it across the plastic when I mount the bike. :(

Go look up how cheap 690 replacement plastics are and you wont be too sad buddy :)

I've changed the colour of my SMC twice now.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
7650801300030 REAR FENDER (BLACK) 503:- (≈£47).

Yeah, I think I can live with the scratches a while.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone want an FMF slipon for a DRZ? $75

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So I went to Cycle Gear yesterday to pick up a $30 Track Side front stand. It turns out that the stand is too narrow and could barely fit around my front tire, and it couldn't safely lift the front end. I returned the stand, but now I'm not sure what to buy. I imagine there is a compatible Pit Bull front stand, that would be better.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 24, 2013

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MetaJew posted:

So I went to Cycle Gear yesterday to pick up a $30 Track Side front stand. It turns out that the stand is too narrow and could barely fit around my front tire, and it couldn't safely lift the front end. I returned the stand, but now I'm not sure what to buy. I imagine there is a compatible Pit Bull front stand, that would be better.

Why would you use paddock stands on a supermoto? all you need is a beer crate, or one of those lift things if you absolutely have to buy something.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That's a good thing to search Craigslist for. I picked up a T-rex head stand for pretty cheap this year, and I've been using a used Pitbull rear stand for a year now. As long as you buy a good, sturdy brand, the only difference between a used and new stand is some scuffing.

edit: Didn't realize I was in the supermoto thread. Yeah, do the thing where you just prop the engine up on something.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Also it is a lot of fun to step on the lever and make the bike go up and it's even more fun to drop it back down!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't get the harbor freight stand though. It sucks.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Yeah... The center stand I purchased from Cycle Gear is a piece of crap, unstable, and I use it as a stool. You also have to lift the rear end off the ground to even get the stand under the bike.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So my girlfriend was loves my DRZ and I accidentally let her catch me looking at stupid Grom poo poo like a week ago. I'm trying to convince her to get a TW200.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a DRZ I love but I still want a stupid Grom.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I have a DRZ I love but I still want a stupid Grom.

Stop living my life!!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've read in a couple places that the DRZ is a little heavy, and a little underpowered. Which sumo is a little lighter, and a little stronger?

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

epalm posted:

I've read in a couple places that the DRZ is a little heavy, and a little underpowered. Which sumo is a little lighter, and a little stronger?

I'll try to answer that before JSB starts foaming at the mouth about you taking a shot at drz's. To answer your question, a wr450f with sumo wheels would be an option. Fairly pricey though.

A big bore/cams/fcr carb/exhaust are also available for the drz that makes it pretty nice. The sad thing about the stock supermoto's available is there isn't a perfect bike in my opinion. All of them stock need a little extra to make them "fun" in the power department. Ktm's are awesome, but tend to be harder to find and pricier.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You usually need to sacrifice reliability with fun. DRZ's are very reliable and with some mods become more fun but if you want the most fun IMO you need something like a 450 with little reliability and a max fun category.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

velocross posted:

I'll try to answer that before JSB starts foaming at the mouth about you taking a shot at drz's. To answer your question, a wr450f with sumo wheels would be an option. Fairly pricey though.

A big bore/cams/fcr carb/exhaust are also available for the drz that makes it pretty nice. The sad thing about the stock supermoto's available is there isn't a perfect bike in my opinion. All of them stock need a little extra to make them "fun" in the power department. Ktm's are awesome, but tend to be harder to find and pricier.

KTM is the most fun and powerful and light. DRZ is slow and dumb and boooring. Get the WR450F, though. I sometimes feel bad that I spent so much on my KTM and my friend with a WR just thrashes it and doesn't even care because he spent so little.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Trust me, if I could find a KTM 690 SMC anywhere in Ontario, I'd buy it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Husky 610 (watch out for cam chain wear), ktm 625 smc (watch out for early lc4 bearing issues, vibes a lot especially if tuned poorly)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You usually need to sacrifice reliability with fun. DRZ's are very reliable and with some mods become more fun but if you want the most fun IMO you need something like a 450 with little reliability and a max fun category.

Basically this. Without foaming at the mouth, there is a trade off to be made everywhere, with every single sumo out there.

You can get a ktm 625, but every one left will be either trashed, or about 50 miles from needing a rebuild, or crazy expensive because its low mileage and in good shape. You also have to be ready to put up with riding the offspring of a jackhammer and a paint shaker.

You can get a ktm 690, but they only made like 50 of them for the us, 49 have been crashed, and the last one for sale is going for 10k and only comes up for sale once a decade.

You can get a husky 610, and lol parts.

You can get a street legal dirtbike and have crazy explosive power and light weight and terrible electrics and 10 hour rebuilds.

You can get an aprilia sxv and a good towing plan.

You can get a drz for cheap and get a reliable bike that weighs more and makes less power than everything mentioned above. Parts are plentiful as is support, but it does not make 450 race bike power.

You just have to decide what you want. The above list was slightly hyperbolic, but essentially true for each bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DRZs are the 1991 White Miata of CA. Not very good at all really. But cheap and cheerful. Plus at some point you've put so much money into it trying to make it nice that you really start to believe it.

Huskys are great and get more flack around here than they deserve. 3 goons have ever ridden one of the things or really looked at them. They're solid and quite good.

690s you have to be patient for and pay a premium for. Premium means 6-9k. Because they are not poo poo thrown together from a bin of parts found left over from the late 80s, they cost more. Bullet proof reliable (30k miles first hand experience over 3 of them in all riding conditions). You won't find one for 3500 though.

A 450 depends on the motor. If it was a woods bike they can be pretty drat solid. 200 hour rebuilds are common when you're pretty hard on a modern WR or KTM woods bike. Street isn't as hard on them. Though the gearing is best around town, the power to weight can't be beat. Don't do this unless you just wanna blast around town or around a SM track.. If you are lucky enough to live near an SM track, do this

Aprilia... Actually not hyperbole. Amazing to ride, but holy gently caress no thank you.

Expand your options to include 690 Dukes too helps find nice bikes. Even the first gen 690 duke is a fine bike and goes for cheaper.

Yaddayaddayadda

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I take issue with "not very good at all really". In the interest of not foaming at the mouth, I'd simply like to state that when the drz sm was released in 2005, it was praised as being one of the best handling bikes on the market, supermoto or not.

I do my fair share of drz defending here, and for sure all of its dials aren't cranked to 11 like the 690, but it's far from "not good at all".

:cmon:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's because it's a supermoto, they all handle great. Reduce weight, add suspension height, sticky tires and a dirt bike chassis, it's going to handle awesome.

Stock DRZ has low spec... everything. Mild engine, restrictive intake/exhaust, weak brakes, soft suspension, the works.

But like I said, it's cheap and cheerful, which is a great combo (Again, Miata...). I did love mine. They have a simple pleasure fun factor to them. I remember the last ride I took on it quite vividly, through some super tight back alleys of Seattle's industrial district, and it was a loving riot, like always. None of that urgency or eagerness to go totally mad that the 690 always prodded you with. The DRZ was always much, much better at plodding around 1st & 2nd gear stuff because you could whack it open and it wouldn't try to buck you off. I miss it sometimes.

I like this conversation we always get into because we actually agree just to different ends of the spectrum. I like DRZs, I recommend them when they're what people are looking for and they are the best place to start in supermoto if you wanna get your feet wet.

I get frustrated that Suzuki refuses to update the thing. I would love to see them do a Ninja 300 style refresh on it. FI, a larger front brake, +10 HP, MSRP 8.5-9K new. It's what the SM community needs.

Edit: Jesus Christ I'm the z3n of the SM thread aren't I.

TL;DR: The modern SM market in the US sucks

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 27, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

I get frustrated that Suzuki refuses to update the thing. I would love to see them do a Ninja 300 style refresh on it. FI, a larger front brake, +10 HP, MSRP 8.5-9K new. It's what the SM community needs.

Edit: Jesus Christ I'm the z3n of the SM thread aren't I.

TL;DR: The modern SM market in the US sucks

I agree with all of these points.

It is time to update it, but from what I understand it still sells pretty well in all of its forms, so in true Japanese form, they'll probably keep producing it as is until a rule change of some sort forces their hand.

Eventually it won't pass emissions and they'll have to do something. Unfortunately that something will probably be an updated bike, but not in factory sm trim.

Also yes, the supermoto market sucks everywhere but France right now.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Someday you'll be in Seattle and I'll buy you a beer or 6 and we'll figure this whole SM market out once and for all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
NO ONE EVER TAKES HUSABERG SERIOUSLY AND IT HURTS THEIR FEELINGS!

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also yes, the supermoto market sucks everywhere but France right now.

Feel free to come join me. I could use a supermoto buddy... Though the concept of a riding season is new to me.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

NO ONE EVER TAKES HUSABERG SERIOUSLY AND IT HURTS THEIR FEELINGS!

We were all going to buy 2015 Husabergs.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
A guy let me test ride his 2005 625 SMC (dual akra exhaust). It was vibey but managably so, and buckets of fun. Like pretty much every listed 690/625 SMC, it had 25000km on the clock. Also the clutch lever had gashed the engine case in a fall, the bars were not straight, and the engine twice made a high pitched PINGGG noise while it was warming up. I passed.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you're looking for a 690 the Supermoto variant is good too if you want to save some money over a SMC. They lose a bit in the weight department though a lot of that is the exhaust and they're really timid on the electronic throttle mapping standard too, when you replace the exhaust Chuck in the K&N filter, remap with TuneECU and also adjust the throttle then and it's a whole new bike. The only problem with them then is the looks but I'm quite partial to them, still wish I had mine.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I thought the SMC was the 690 supermoto. Educate me.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
He might be talking about the 690 Enduro R:
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/690-enduro-r-eu/highlights.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nope, there was a ktm 690 sm model on top of th smc model. Spiffness signal gooooooo!

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I agree with all of these points.

It is time to update it, but from what I understand it still sells pretty well in all of its forms, so in true Japanese form, they'll probably keep producing it as is until a rule change of some sort forces their hand.

No disrespect at the "foaming" comment, just poking fun at how passionate you are about the drz. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the thread, but update the drz with 450+cc, fuel injection, better brakes, aluminum frame, 6 gears, and drz reliability and you have a solid bike right there. Heck, let any of the major manufactures do that and it'll sell.

edit: Suzuki updated the 2013's with new plastic/graphics and blue rims. :yotj: Just not enough market to redesign them anytime soon. I do remember reading about a Honda 250sm, but I'm not sure if that has gone into production or not.

velocross fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 28, 2013

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Someday you'll be in Seattle and I'll buy you a beer or 6 and we'll figure this whole SM market out once and for all.

I'm in Seattle and I have a KTM 530 and I like beer.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Speaking of this, how really down would one be with SM wheels/tires compared to the other supermotos? I saw z3n I think say the suspension internals and brakes are different but I'm wondering how much difference that really makes. Certainly plenty of people take DRZ400S's and SM them, and the gap in componentry seems bigger there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
People have converted them, they make a fantastic sumo.

The 690 in Enduro R flavour is an odd fish. I know two people who have used them for off road competition and the consensus was that the bike is actually too good, like Cyril Despres good, like if you're not Cyril Despres then you would probably be faster on a tricked out WR450F.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Around here (Knoxville) DRZ400SM and WR250X go for about the same amount of money. Right now I'm leaning towards the WR for the FI and 6-speed with a side benefit of being lighter (~25lb). It will see some offroad/fireroad use but not enough to justify a set of dirt wheels. Is there any other bikes that I should be considering? The SV, NX and GSX are going up for sale shortly but likely won't sell until spring.

Preemptive sorry for opening this :can:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards the WR for the FI

Yamaha FI can definitely have a mind of its own, which makes it not nearly as much of an advantage over carbs as you'd think.

I've got my XT660 running about as well as I possibly can, and it's still kinda jerky at small throttle openings and surges at low speeds. Unfortunately, any effort to make it better-behaved now requires a Power Commander, an O2 sensor delete and a trip to a dyno for an ECU retune, so I'm just going to live with it. Changing out the severely-knackered cush drive rubbers helped a lot.

It's perfectly fine when properly on the throttle, though, and runs like a dream at WOT. From what I hear, the WR is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
wr250x owner here. The low-speed throttle can be a bit snatchy I guess but I don't even notice it any more, even when doing low-speed technical stuff offroad. What I'm saying is in my experience any snatchyness I've had on the wr250 has been easy to compensate for and adapt to. TL;DR I think you should buy a wr250.

• Locked thread