Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Just a heads up, Promise of Blood is $1.99 on the Kindle right now. I haven't read it but it looks pretty interesting and has received a ton of positive reviews with 4-5 stars on Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes and Noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The thing that, makes it hipster, to me, is the self awareness. It's genre fiction written in a deliberate style which is intended to suck the joy and entertainment out of reading the book. It's not accidentally ugly, it's deliberately so, and trying to be ironic about it. Hence, hipster.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fritz posted:

Who wants to see some horrible opinions from horrible ex-libertarian now-hardcore-catholic John C. Wright?

I hope its you.

/

http://www.scifiwright.com/2013/11/saving-science-fiction-from-strong-female-characters-part-1/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Wright_(author)

John is trying his best to make me recant on my affection for The Golden Age.

Nah, it still owns.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Neurosis posted:

John is trying his best to make me recant on my affection for The Golden Age.

Nah, it still owns.

I'm told this is a quote from those books:

quote:

“One benevolent outcome of an otherwise dark and tyrannous world-empire period was the reduction, through eugenics and genetic engineering, of strains of the human bloodlines prone to substandard intelligence and mental disease.”
And searching turns up a hit to a google books scan of 'The Golden Transcendence.'

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

regularizer posted:

Just a heads up, Promise of Blood is $1.99 on the Kindle right now. I haven't read it but it looks pretty interesting and has received a ton of positive reviews with 4-5 stars on Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes and Noble.

Promise of Blood (and London Falling upthread) both get a thumbs up from me. Promise of Blood has first-of-trilogy-itis, it's self-contained enough but it's obviously the first part of a series so it takes a lot of time putting pieces into place and introducing the setting and characters. It's a series I'm looking forward to, though. The technology is roughly 18th century but it's not steampunk, which is pretty fresh for a fantasy novel. I also like the flavour of the setting which I think is supposed to be Central European.

Like someone said earlier London Falling is kind of rough in the beginning but it improves a ton. I got special enjoyment out of it since I follow English football. :v: But it's not necessary.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

regularizer posted:

It was written by a Sanderson protege and it reads like it. You decide for yourself if that's good or not. Personally, I dropped it a few chapters in and moved on to Two Serpents Rise. (Which is fantastic.)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

regularizer posted:

Promise of Blood was really good, and quite imaginative.
I enjoyed that book more than I've enjoyed any of Sanderson's work.
Powder mages were a interesting concept.

As for something close to steampunk I would recommend Alan Campbell as well.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 24, 2013

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Also, The Heroes by Abercrombie is 1.99 on amazon as well today. I've been waiting for a while to pick that one up so it was a pleasant surprise!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

For some reason I picked up the Pern books for a re-read after 15 years and WOW there's a lot of rapin' goin' on. The women end up liking it in the end, naturally, but yeah...rapin' all up in those weyrs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

navyjack posted:

For some reason I picked up the Pern books for a re-read after 15 years and WOW there's a lot of rapin' goin' on. The women end up liking it in the end, naturally, but yeah...rapin' all up in those weyrs.

Don't pick up any of the Tower and the Hive series, then. It adds the word "statutory" to the sentence.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I read through the OP and noticed something:

There is no mention of Douglas Adams at all. Is this because it is expected that everyone has already read him? Still, a strange thing to neglect.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

navyjack posted:

Geez, and most people who read these read them as kids.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Neurosis posted:

Geez, and most people who read these read them as kids.

I remember throwing an Anne McCaffrey book against the wall as a kid. I can't remember which book or why, but something about her attitude towards sex always squicked me out. I do remember that much. I haven't read her since.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Max Awfuls posted:

How many Tea Party creeps are there actually writing mainstream fantasy and sci-fi? I've come to these genres recently and I keep stumbling on these Dan Simmons and Orson Scott Card nutters and every time I look up any recommendation I dread googling the author and finding them going on a rant about feminazis and Muslim Obama.

Oh also I forgot to mention Jerry Pournelle, who doesn't publish much anymore but had a major influence on "Military SF". Here's a blog post from him: https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/?p=16304

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Waltzing Along posted:

I read through the OP and noticed something:

There is no mention of Douglas Adams at all. Is this because it is expected that everyone has already read him? Still, a strange thing to neglect.

The OP has Asimov and Clark, it should probably have Adams as well. I can totally see why no one realized he should be in there though. I mean who hasn't heard of Douglas Adams? But then who hasn't heard of Asimov or Clarke?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I read through Promise of Blood in one sitting, and greatly enjoyed it. I'll buy the next one.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

wiegieman posted:

I read through Promise of Blood in one sitting, and greatly enjoyed it. I'll buy the next one.

Dude makes Sanderson seem like Shakespeare from the first couple pages. Tin ear for prose. I don't know if I can get into it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

fritz posted:

Oh also I forgot to mention Jerry Pournelle, who doesn't publish much anymore but had a major influence on "Military SF". Here's a blog post from him: https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/?p=16304

I didn't mind Pournelle too much when he's on TWiT. But reading that, ugh. I followed the other link and the other guy mentions reading a book on embryology but says it doesn't explain how a baby forms. He must have read a lovely book then because it's pretty well known how a fetus develops and it's a relatively simple thing. Sigh.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

calandryll posted:

I didn't mind Pournelle too much when he's on TWiT. But reading that, ugh. I followed the other link and the other guy mentions reading a book on embryology but says it doesn't explain how a baby forms. He must have read a lovely book then because it's pretty well known how a fetus develops and it's a relatively simple thing. Sigh.

http://old-www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up. Joe Nassise is doing a giveaway at the moment. If you buy the new book he has out (Watcher in the Dark), email him a copy of the receipt and he will give you a free ebook. There's some pretty good ones to choose from.

I think the giveaway ends tomorrow at midnight.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

The best flashtub, I crack up every time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

They didn't exactly keep 2001 close to the book; they were written at the same time, and informed each other.

The weird thing about the whole 200X series is how each time Clarke wrote a new one it was slightly out of continuity with the last. 2010 the book is a sequel to the movie version of 2001 and 2065 is a sequel to the movie version of 2010. Then there's 3001 which has an Independence Day ending.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about the whole 200X series is how each time Clarke wrote a new one it was slightly out of continuity with the last. 2010 the book is a sequel to the movie version of 2001 and 2065 is a sequel to the movie version of 2010. Then there's 3001 which has an Independence Day ending.

And something weird about circumcision. I enjoyed seeing Frank Poole get a fair crack of the whip, though. He was basically in the movie just to die.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Today's Kindle Daily Deal is definitely worth the $1.99:
I really enjoyed Equations of Life by Simon Morden, the first entry in the Petrovitch/Metrozone series.
It's an action packed cyber-punkish adventure with gun-toting nuns, organized crime lords in a post-nuclear war London, the Machine Jihad, and a protagonist that swears all the time, except it's in Russian.

It's a perfect Sunday afternoon book.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
This might be a stupid question but I'm curious whether there's any recommended reading order for the books/stories by Cordwainer Smith. His bibliography is so confusing and probably it doesn't even matter but I just bought The Rediscovery of Man and wanted to make sure I get the right 'effect'. When should I read Norstrilia? What about any other collections of short stories?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

the least weasel posted:

This might be a stupid question but I'm curious whether there's any recommended reading order for the books/stories by Cordwainer Smith. His bibliography is so confusing and probably it doesn't even matter but I just bought The Rediscovery of Man and wanted to make sure I get the right 'effect'. When should I read Norstrilia? What about any other collections of short stories?

He has a single collection of all his stories and a single novel, I am p. sure. You've already mentioned them. You read the former, then the latter.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

the least weasel posted:

There's a timeline in most editions of The Rediscovery of Man, but most of the stories only fit into it very loosely and don't really benefit from being read in order. I think Norstrilia comes near the end. IIRC only the NESFA Press version of Rediscovery is absolutely complete, though.

By the way, if anyone's intersted in comic sf, John M. Ford's How Much For Just the Planet? is very good and funny, and you don't have to like Star Trek to enjoy it - I don't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just noticed that Michael Swanwyck has a really neat little series of stories up at Tor.com (four so far):

http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/07/the-mongolian-wizard

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Thanks for your replies. It turns out that what I bought was not the complete short story collection after all but a 'best of' with exactly the same name. I asked originally because I thought this was meant to be the only major collection and the introduction states that it constitutes only half of his short stories.

I guess I'll have to go look for the proper The Rediscovery of Man.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

So, Hyperion. Just finished it this morning and I feel fairly confident that it ended on the highest note it's going to reach but somehow there are three(?) more books. I remember seeing a couple people in here say that Fall was also good, which seems totally implausible but I am curious enough that I have to at least ask for more opinions. Stick it out for one more book, or abandon ship now and pretend he never wrote another word so I can say I genuinely liked the thing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Abandon ship.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Irony.or.Death posted:

So, Hyperion. Just finished it this morning and I feel fairly confident that it ended on the highest note it's going to reach but somehow there are three(?) more books. I remember seeing a couple people in here say that Fall was also good, which seems totally implausible but I am curious enough that I have to at least ask for more opinions. Stick it out for one more book, or abandon ship now and pretend he never wrote another word so I can say I genuinely liked the thing?

Walk away.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

So, Hyperion. Just finished it this morning and I feel fairly confident that it ended on the highest note it's going to reach

You're talking about the last story, the one about time dilation, right? Not the embarrassing actual ending where characters sing "We're off to see the Wizard"?

The Fall of Hyperion
is different - it's a novel and not a short story collection - and I found it a lot more rewarding and interesting, although that's probably because it had a plot... The Endymion books were pants, though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'd say give Fall of Hyperion a go, but absolutely under no circumstances read anything with 'Endymion' in the title (unless it's by Keats I guess)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't even remember what happened in any of the books after Hyperion, they're that forgettable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just bought Hyperion myself, but if it has Hitler then I'm out.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Fallom posted:

Abandon ship.

I did not follow this advice and it is one of the few regrets I have in terms of things I've read.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I thought Fall of Hyperion was worth the read but it doesn't measure up to Hyperion. From the handful of his books I've read it just seems like Simmons can't end a story without going totally insane.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish I could extract the image of a cat licking cream out of a saucer from my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Fallom posted:

I wish I could extract the image of a cat licking cream out of a saucer from my mind.

I'm going to regret asking why, but...