Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone having trouble downloading/updating apps on their phone? I have an iPhone 5 on 7.0.4.

I have been having this issue on two iPads, iPhone 4, and iphone 5. Toggling the data seems to help.

Sometimes it's just a <10MB app, too.

Fake edit: MB is a word iphone./

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Vinlaen posted:

What's the best (fastest?) workflow to editing pictures on a network share and then uploading them to a website to be printed? (Shutterfly, Rite-Aid, etc)

I don't do too much editing but I typically use Photoshop on my PC to fix the white balance on my photographs (sometimes using the RAW camera files) and then I apply an unsharpen mask and sometimes crop.

Unless I'm mistaken, there are a few problems using an iPad for this:

1) Can't edit RAW files
2) Photographs must be transferred using iTunes before they are accessible on the iPad

Ideally I just want an app on the iPad to brose my network share, open a file in Photoshop Express (or whatever), make simple changes, and then save that file back. Is that possible?

Filebrowser app can access network shares. Even has support for VPN. You should be able to do what you want to do with this. Workflow might be a little funny when going to upload the changes, but sounds like you're prepared.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm using the new version of Tweetbot and for the most part it's been pretty great, but I've noticed that most times when I switch to one of my Lists (Sports) from another list it takes me back to tweets from ~a week ago. It only does this with the Sports list and it seems to happen if I'm looking at a different list, switch apps, then go back to Tweetbot and open the Sports list. Has anyone else had this problem?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: :science: :siren: :science: :siren:

Any electrical engineers or electronics students should give a look at iCircuit. For :10bux: it's a pretty loving awesome real-time graphical SPICE-like circuit simulator. It's universal for phone and pad and it's pretty much pSPICE on iOS. Watch the video to get a taste of what it can do. I am living in the future; if I had this in EE school I'd be at least 2.1878 times smarter and more successful than I am now.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Because of this, my Hue lights will flash red if the CDC ever issues a zombie outbreak alert.
You'd better share that recipe son!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

randyest posted:

:siren: :science: :siren: :science: :siren:

Any electrical engineers or electronics students should give a look at iCircuit. For :10bux: it's a pretty loving awesome real-time graphical SPICE-like circuit simulator. It's universal for phone and pad and it's pretty much pSPICE on iOS. Watch the video to get a taste of what it can do. I am living in the future; if I had this in EE school I'd be at least 2.1878 times smarter and more successful than I am now.

e is 2.7183 :colbert:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

e is 2.7183 :colbert:
Indeed it is but I just picked a random silly too-many-significant-digit multiplier to (try to) be funny. Or maybe I was subconsciously thinking of 3192 / 1459? I do that sometimes.

I guess I failed on the funny part :eng99: -- but the app is still awesome. I'm having more fun than makes sense just goofing around as the interface is so simple and well-done.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Another vote for the Plex app. I use it to watch tv shows in bed on my iPad Air.

However one thing that annoys me and I'm not sure if it's plex app, or my air, ( I didn't notice it on my mini) is that the screen brightness kind of fluctuate /flicker (even the letter boxed areas.)

Can't tell if it's an app thing or an Air-specific thing.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Plex app and it is awesome. Is there any way to download episodes to local storage with the app or is it streaming only? Would be cool if you could download a properly transcoded version of the file to your iPad for use when you're away from your local network. I don't have near enough upload bandwidth to stream my shows remotely.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

DarkJC posted:

Is there any way to download episodes to local storage with the app or is it streaming only?

Think you might be able to do this with Plex Pass.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

DarkJC posted:

Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Plex app and it is awesome. Is there any way to download episodes to local storage with the app or is it streaming only? Would be cool if you could download a properly transcoded version of the file to your iPad for use when you're away from your local network. I don't have near enough upload bandwidth to stream my shows remotely.

For that, just skip Plex - get VLC and sync your videos through iTunes.

Edit: Using the File Sharing section under your iPad's Apps tab in iTunes, that is.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

randyest posted:

Here you go! https://ifttt.com/recipes/97754

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Tweetbot update is out including night theme. 1Password is also 40% off.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nask26 posted:

1Password is also 40% off.

Too bad that doesn't extend to the Mac/Windows app. I've been watching that price for my boss.

EDIT: I just checked the iOS store and it seems to be $10 still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IUG posted:

Too bad that doesn't extend to the Mac/Windows app. I've been watching that price for my boss.

Maybe consider LastPass, all the software is free for all platforms. The cost comes from the subscription (which is $12 a year, meaning in 7 years it will cost as much as 1Password).

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

xzzy posted:

Maybe consider LastPass, all the software is free for all platforms. The cost comes from the subscription (which is $12 a year, meaning in 7 years it will cost as much as 1Password).
If money's the only criteria then I suppose LastPass works, but having used both LastPass and 1Password I would never choose LastPass. Putting aside that LastPass requires you to store your passwords on a server that can get hacked*, the UI is nowhere near as polished as 1Password.

* Yes, you can store your 1Password database in the cloud, too, but (1) it's just a file in your own separate Dropbox account, and (2) you don't have to if you're really paranoid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IUG posted:

That is the discounted price.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

10-8 posted:

If money's the only criteria then I suppose LastPass works, but having used both LastPass and 1Password I would never choose LastPass. Putting aside that LastPass requires you to store your passwords on a server that can get hacked*, the UI is nowhere near as polished as 1Password.

* Yes, you can store your 1Password database in the cloud, too, but (1) it's just a file in your own separate Dropbox account, and (2) you don't have to if you're really paranoid.

LastPass just updated their UI a couple of weeks ago: http://blog.lastpass.com/2013/11/lastpass-30-is-here-new-design-new.html

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

I've personally used 1Password, so that's why I was recommending it to him. I just never tried LastPass, but I have no reason to switch. I don't feel that I'm lacking anything in 1Password (although the Windows Firefox plugin is buggy).

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That is the discounted price.

Ah, I didn't know it's base, but I could have sworn when I bought it, it was cheaper for me.
EDIT: Just checked, and it was $8.99, so not a whole lot cheaper I guess.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 27, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Dashlane is better than Lastpass. I use it on my Mac and iPhone and have no complaints. It doesn't store your passwords on their server unless you tell it to and it encrypts everything locally too.

e: use my link if you sign up, it will make me even kawaiier and you will get a month of Dashlane Premium for free: https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/3babcd24

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, I just found out that gmail doesn't push to iOS's mail.app anymore. What's the least-annoying workaround that will still let me use the native mail features and not get double notifications and stuff?

Fetch also doesn't seem to be working for me that well. I just checked my email and I had one that was over a day old and two that were an hour old and none of them had been fetched to my mail.app on my phone.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Speaking of mail, what are the threads' preferred mail apps? I have been using the native iOS app, and while it works okay for me, I'm sure there are plenty of much better alternatives.

Also, the way the native app sorts mail is kind of a bummer.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I keep seeing people say that push gmail doesn't work anymore but I'm convinced it's still doing it for me. Am I crazy or just lucky?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The gmail app gets pushes, it's the Apple mail app that doesn't get gmail pushes if I understand right. I just use the gmail app.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm still using Mailbox.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mike- posted:

I keep seeing people say that push gmail doesn't work anymore but I'm convinced it's still doing it for me. Am I crazy or just lucky?

It does for grandfathered devices that were in before they made the cutoff a while back.

They push mail to the Gmail app for all devices. I use that instead of the stock Mail app now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They push mail to the Gmail app for all devices. I use that instead of the stock Mail app now.

Have you noticed any annoyances with the lack of integration with the OS? Like if I want to email a link from youtube to my parents, the youtube app sends me to the mail.app compose thing.

I'm thinking that I might do this:

- Use the gmail app to compose and check emails regularly since it pushes.
- Keep mail.app linked to my gmail account but buried in a folder so that any time I send an email through the OS it still sends from the right account.

Is that kind of how it works for you at this point?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It does for grandfathered devices that were in before they made the cutoff a while back.

I must be grandfathered in then, but that's a little strange because I am on an iPhone 5. Could it be possibly because when I got my 5 it was setup from a backup?
I've only ever used the stock mail app.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

mike- posted:

I must be grandfathered in then, but that's a little strange because I am on an iPhone 5. Could it be possibly because when I got my 5 it was setup from a backup?

Support ended Jan 2013, so you probably bought your 5 before then.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Have you noticed any annoyances with the lack of integration with the OS? Like if I want to email a link from youtube to my parents, the youtube app sends me to the mail.app compose thing.

I'm thinking that I might do this:

- Use the gmail app to compose and check emails regularly since it pushes.
- Keep mail.app linked to my gmail account but buried in a folder so that any time I send an email through the OS it still sends from the right account.

Is that kind of how it works for you at this point?

This is exactly how I manage my gmail on iOS. I also mute all notifications from the mail.app so when I get a ding, I only get it once from the gmail.app.

Works perfectly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mike- posted:

Apparently the change gets implemented whenever you update or restore. So if you upgrade(d) to iOS 7, then you lost push.

But yeah, maybe it's still working for you somehow?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

E: Misread. Disregard.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

Apparently the change gets implemented whenever you update or restore. So if you upgrade(d) to iOS 7, then you lost push.

But yeah, maybe it's still working for you somehow?
It's at the device level.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Sieg posted:

Support ended Jan 2013, so you probably bought your 5 before then.

This is it, I guess I just got lucky. This clears up a lot confusion, thanks!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

topiKal posted:

Speaking of mail, what are the threads' preferred mail apps? I have been using the native iOS app, and while it works okay for me, I'm sure there are plenty of much better alternatives.

Also, the way the native app sorts mail is kind of a bummer.

I use Boxer. It's really nice.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

dexter6 posted:

It's at the device level.

And it still works on paid for Google Apps accounts too

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for what would essentially be a library program for my phone. At work I loan out movies & books pretty frequently but I'd like a method to track down what's gone where since my services are going cross-department now and my Excel spreadsheet isn't doing well anymore.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit, I ripped an audiobook from CD that I haven't listened to yet, classified it as an audiobook and everything. I finally got it to sync through iTunes but now when I play it on my iPhone (5S, iOS 7) it just skips all the parts and boots me back to the playlist view.

I've tried using a playlist just containing that book and using the audiobooks menu in the music app. I would use audible for it but audible doesn't seem to be able to find any books on my phone.

Is there a fix for this?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I import audiobooks into Downcast and use that to listen to them.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can you read PDFs with Marvin?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Can you read PDFs with Marvin?!

No, just ePub.