Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Media Create reported just short of 100k, but yeah. Not great.

quote:

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)

1. 3DS LL – 63,709 (47,852)
  2. PlayStation Vita – 21,044 (46,350)
  3. Wii U – 21,002 (15,906)
  4. 3DS – 20,797 (22,250)
  5. PlayStation 3 – 12,436 (12,019)
  6. PlayStation Vita TV – 7,868 (42,172)

21k is decent but not amazing. Looks like Vita TV doesn't have legs.

re: legitimacy: the SM3DW numbers are from Famitsu or Media Create, they are both legitimate; this isn't a 'leaked npd' or 'neogaf poster said that' situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Ah, sales in Japan. Okay, explains it a bit better, might help to post it with that context.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
3d World looks awesome but it doesn't change the fact that nobody owns a Wii U. I'm their target audience - I really want to play 3d World - but even still, I'd absolutely never buy a Wii U at this point because nothing else interests me. I hate the new 3d Zeldas and Mario Karts too, so there's not even anything in the future to look forward to on the platform (except maybe Smash, which is always fun, but all signs point to it being a pretty boring and overly safe sequel).

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

I am amazed that 3D Land is the best-selling 3D Mario platformer. Not because it isn't a great game, I just thought Super Mario 64 would have sold more.

Has 3D World been out for a full week yet? I didn't think it was even released in some territories.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Has 3D World been out for a full week yet? I didn't think it was even released in some territories.

These are Japanese numbers, just to clarify.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro Nut posted:

Ah, sales in Japan. Okay, explains it a bit better, might help to post it with that context.

Right. The NPD (America) numbers won't be out for ~3 weeks. Anything before that is either leaked from Nintendo or a total guess.

NSMBU sold 163k in it's first week in Japan. That's a pretty direct comparison!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guys we just need to wait for Mario 3D World to come out. That'll fix things.

*Mario sells badly*

Guys we just need to wait for Mario Kart to come out. That'll fix things.

*Mario Kart sells badly*

Guys we just need to wait for Smash Bros to come out. That'll fix things.

*Smash Bros sells badly*

Guys we just need to wait for the heat death of the universe. Then Nintendo won't have to worry anymore

e: Oh woops, I nearly forgot to include the "Did anyone really expect [Game we claimed would sell] to sell?" retcon which the other thread is now doing

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With the exception of stuff like Pokemon and Dragon Quest doesn't most of the Nintendo stuff sell pretty slow there in general? Like launch isn't amazing but it has long legs sells that amount every week for some time? A lot of Wii titles in Japan were like this they'd be in the high teens in the top 20 charts but they'd sit there for half a year while everything else would come and go.

Aren't there way more than 100,000 Wii Us in Japanese homes right now? I'm curious to see how if it holds at this number for a few weeks.

http://bgr.com/2013/11/21/wii-u-sales-analysis/
This is a doom and gloom article but it mentions that in Japan Super Mario U is actually outselling 3D World. Is this site any good?

The only thing that's going to move Wii Us in the US at this point is a REALLY REALLY good totally new Zelda game. Or a NSMB that makes more drastic changes to the formula while still being 2D.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Neo Rasa posted:

With the exception of stuff like Pokemon and Dragon Quest doesn't most of the Nintendo stuff sell pretty slow there in general? Like launch isn't amazing but it has long legs sells that amount every week for some time? A lot of Wii titles in Japan were like this they'd be in the high teens in the top 20 charts but they'd sit there for half a year while everything else would come and go.

Ironically, this is actually what made Pokemon a success back in the day. It launched with pretty meager numbers, but kept those numbers month after month, allowing it to accumulate massive sales as word of mouth spread.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Top 20 last week for Japan had only one other Wii U game (Taiko Drum Master: Wii U Version) which sold 19k copies. #20 sold 7k so if anything else has legs for the Wii U they are exceptionally short ones.

quote:

This is a doom and gloom article but it mentions that in Japan Super Mario U is actually outselling 3D World. Is this site any good?
Well, it might have charted recently if he's using the numbers that include the bundled copy? I think Famitsu works that way. It's a little misleading if you don't realise that.

edit: ~1.3m Wii Us sold in Japan, roughly. Definitely around there.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Guys we just need to wait for the heat death of the universe. Then Nintendo won't have to worry anymore

It's okay they just revealed how they're gonna make profit this season.

They're gonna steal the Mona Lisa and hold it for ransom.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

*Smash Bros sells badly*

Releasing SSB4 on 3DS and WiiU simultaneously is the dumbest decision possible - that's a game that could actually move console stock since the franchise doesn't have a great analogue anywhere else to capture its audience. An audience that still habitually plays all the games back to the N64 version (take a survey of college dormrooms) and can be more rabid in defense of them than any Zelda fan will ever be of their games nowadays. But since we have an alternative to buying A WiiU for it, it ends up being a reason to continue the status quo.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 27, 2013

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Do those numbers include e-shop downloads? I thought nintendo was holding the cards for e-sales close to their chest.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

keyvin posted:

Do those numbers include e-shop downloads? I thought nintendo was holding the cards for e-sales close to their chest.

They don't, but digital sales are rarely higher than 10% for a given game. The only notable exception I can think of is Animal Crossing which hovered around 20% at one point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

keyvin posted:

They don't but Japan is not big on digital sales to begin with. Combine that with their general "meh" towards the 3D Mario games and I really really doubt it suddenly sold double the copies on the e-shop.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

keyvin posted:

Do those numbers include e-shop downloads?

Nope. Only clue we have is how much revenue Nintendo reports as being from download sales; 1H2013 the ratio was 10:1 in favour of retail software sales over download sales. Hard to account for how much of that is the cheaper digital-only software but it'll be some.

Japan has a serious reputation for preferring physical over digital versions and it's an earned reputation.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

MrBims posted:

Releasing SSB4 on 3DS and WiiU simultaneously is the dumbest decision possible ...

Dumber than releasing a cheaper version of the original Wii in the US for the 2013 holiday season?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That was pretty stupid too and probably should've been done... like, a year or so ago. At this point Nintendo should just be saying "Want to play original Wii games? Get Wii U, it has backwards compatibility" instead of "Check out the new Wii! uhh but it's not the Wii U, this is a new old Wii, so when we say new Wii in our ads, we mean the older new Wii that we put out last year, and not this new old Wii that we're releasing right at the holidays. But we want you to buy that too, if you can't afford the other one. So buy the new Wii too! I mean the new old Wii! But also buy the old new one too."

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Polo-Rican posted:

Dumber than releasing a cheaper version of the original Wii in the US for the 2013 holiday season?

At least Nintendo will make a profit on the mini-wiis. Didn't they do the same thing with the NES and SNES?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

keyvin posted:

At least Nintendo will make a profit on the mini-wiis. Didn't they do the same thing with the NES and SNES?

Oh yeah, they'll probably sell. I just mean, as if the Wii U needs more competition this christmas, hey! Here's another, better, cheaper Nintendo product!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh yeah, they'll probably sell. I just mean, as if the Wii U needs more competition this christmas, hey! Here's another, better, cheaper Nintendo product!

When your profits are mostly the result of your home currency tanking and making exports cheaper, I think you will take whatever money you can get. The mini-wii seems to serve a completely different market demographic than the Wii-U. In my mind at least, the people that will be buying the mini-wii either will do it because of brand confusion, or because they are happy to be able to afford to give their kid a console for Christmas. $300-$500 might as well be $1,000,000 for a lot of parents in the new economy.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I am totally baffled about what Japanese Wii U owners are even doing with their consoles. None of the software released in the last few months has sold well and now a fantastic new Mario game barely outsells noted semi niche game Pikmin 3? Are they literally just using them as doorstops or something?

e: The Wii is dead and buried. I would be SHOCKED if the Wii Mini had any major impact this holiday. If parents want a cheap gift for their kid they'll get a 2DS instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crowbear posted:

I am totally baffled about what Japanese Wii U owners are even doing with their consoles. None of the software released in the last few months has sold well and now a fantastic new Mario game barely outsells noted semi niche game Pikmin 3? Are they literally just using them as doorstops or something?

e: The Wii is dead and buried. I would be SHOCKED if the Wii Mini had any major impact this holiday. If parents want a cheap gift for their kid they'll get a 2DS instead.

Any goons in Japan want to check out the used game shops? Maybe they were all sold off or traded in already?

And yeah no if people don't want to spend $299.99+ on a console in the US they're going to get a 3DS+Mario or one of the many 360/PS3 packages that are $249.99 and have multiple game packed in with them, not an original WIi.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Crowbear posted:

I'm not saying it is going to be amazing profits, but I think it will be profitable. The 2DS is also $30 more. The Wii Mini is targeted at the extremely budget conscious (the poors). Maybe they just felt the need to compete with the Vita Box though.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

I had a look at Yahoo auctions japan and there's a decent number of Wii Us on sale, but they're holding their value pretty decently (~22k yen for the 32gb, retails at 30k).

keyvin posted:

Maybe they just felt the need to compete with the Vita Box though.

The Vita TV is only sold in Japan and the Wii Mini is not sold in Japan.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

If anybody's bored and wants to make graphs for some inexplicable reason, I think a more useful graph would include the number of consoles available at that point so we could see attachment rates. This graph on its own doesn't do very much since we know there aren't a lot of Wii U's in the wild, so obviously fewer people are going to be buying games for it. It could also be interesting to correlate any changes in console sales around their release dates as well.

From some quick, shoddy internet research, I figure there were ~3 million 3DS's sold in Japan by the time 3D Land came out, so that gives an attachment rate of ~12% in the first week, while there are ~1.2 million Wii U's, so an attachment rate of ~9%, so it seems a significant amount worse.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Guys we just need to wait for Mario 3D World to come out. That'll fix things.

You forgot "Well the market is shrinking the Xbox and Playstation are going to sell terribly too."

Though I suppose those sales could drop off in the coming months.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Lemming posted:

If anybody's bored and wants to make graphs for some inexplicable reason, I think a more useful graph would include the number of consoles available at that point so we could see attachment rates. This graph on its own doesn't do very much since we know there aren't a lot of Wii U's in the wild, so obviously fewer people are going to be buying games for it. It could also be interesting to correlate any changes in console sales around their release dates as well.

From some quick, shoddy internet research, I figure there were ~3 million 3DS's sold in Japan by the time 3D Land came out, so that gives an attachment rate of ~12% in the first week, while there are ~1.2 million Wii U's, so an attachment rate of ~9%, so it seems a significant amount worse.

The 3DS was at 2,356,915 units sold the week 3D Land launched, which had a ~14.6% attach rate.

Install bases and sales don't tend to be linearly correlated anyway. Usually a smaller install base will have a higher attach rate for most games because early adopters tend to buy more games than anyone else. It would still be interesting data to look at, but sadly it's hard to find any Japanese numbers from before 2004 so making a comparison to Sunshine (which I think is the most relevant one) will be tough.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 27, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

Well, the N64 sold 5 million in japan, the gamecube sold 4 million, the Wii 12.75 million, and the DS 33 million, to cover the other consoles for games mentioned on that chart.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Install Windows posted:

Well, the N64 sold 5 million in japan, the gamecube sold 4 million, the Wii 12.75 million, and the DS 33 million, to cover the other consoles for games mentioned on that chart.

But those numbers are not the ones they're looking for... they specifically want numbers of consoles purchased at time of game release.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

Unless there are some really crazy rear end Shogi or Pilotwings fans in Japan, I assume Mario 64's day one sales were probably a 1:1 attach rate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Unless there are some really crazy rear end Shogi or Pilotwings fans in Japan, I assume Mario 64's day one sales were probably a 1:1 attach rate.

There is absolutely no game on the market that has a 1:1 attach rate. Someone out there bought Pilotwings instead. It probably was a significant attach rate though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

But those numbers are not the ones they're looking for... they specifically want numbers of consoles purchased at time of game release.

It's still relevant, because it gives you an idea of how much they could possibly have sold in the end. Mario 64 and Mario 64 DS were both launch titles among sparse lineups, and so would be unusually high attach rates for their first week of release.

For what it's worth the Wii had sold 3.67 million consoles in Japan by a month before Galaxy launched there (and ratcheted up to 4.99 by a month after), and had sold 10.40 million when Galaxy 2 launched.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

*Smash Bros sells badly*

Smash will sell consoles, guaranteed. I genuinely don't think nearly as many Gamecubes would have moved if it weren't for SSBM, and the Smash platform still has a huge community behind it. Just look at the billions of Brawl hacks freely available to install onto your own hacked Wii, it's amazing.

That was pretty stupid too and probably should've been done... like, a year or so ago. At this point Nintendo should just be saying "Want to play original Wii games? Get Wii U, it has backwards compatibility" instead of "Check out the new Wii! uhh but it's not the Wii U, this is a new old Wii, so when we say new Wii in our ads, we mean the older new Wii that we put out last year, and not this new old Wii that we're releasing right at the holidays. But we want you to buy that too, if you can't afford the other one. So buy the new Wii too! I mean the new old Wii! But also buy the old new one too."

Wii mini came out in Canada of all places last year. http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/ Also, for those who don't know, it doesn't support Gamecube games and has no internet access whatsoever.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

There is absolutely no game on the market that has a 1:1 attach rate. Someone out there bought Pilotwings instead. It probably was a significant attach rate though.

Yeah I mean I guess it wouldn't be an exact 1:1, but drat close. America would have been the same way, since we only got Mario 64 and Pilotwings as well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ohnoitschris posted:

Smash will sell consoles, guaranteed. I genuinely don't think nearly as many Gamecubes would have moved if it weren't for SSBM, and the Smash platform still has a huge community behind it. Just look at the billions of Brawl hacks freely available to install onto your own hacked Wii, it's amazing.

I already have a 3DS, but if Nintendo decides to be a bunch of fuckers and only puts online for Brawl on the Wii U, I'll whine and cry about it and then buy a Wii U. I imagine this would be the case for a lot of people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ohnoitschris posted:

Wii mini came out in Canada of all places last year. http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/ Also, for those who don't know, it doesn't support Gamecube games and has no internet access whatsoever.

Also if you crack it open, like 90% of the insides are empty space or the DVD drive. And reportedly it costs Nintendo under $40 or possibly even under $30 to manufacture, and really kinda shows that a Wii U could have maintained backwards compatibility by sticking a hyper-cost-reduced Wii in there in the manner of the PS2's use of the PS1 hardware for input/output plus PS1 games, or the manner of a Sega Genesis coming with the Sega Master System hardware built in and normally just used for audio.

This would have freed up Nintendo to switch the processor and graphics for the actual new-gen games to something not hobbled by Wii compatibility, and made it a much more powerful machine for the same price, even though it would probably not be quite as good as the ps4/xbone.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lemming posted:

I already have a 3DS, but if Nintendo decides to be a bunch of fuckers and only puts online for Brawl on the Wii U, I'll whine and cry about it and then buy a Wii U. I imagine this would be the case for a lot of people.

Well, I can already imagine eventually closer to release at least a few people will for whatever reason fell like they're being asked to buy the same game twice because each version has different stages, modes and other assortments with the only constant being the character roster.

I'd also hope nobody expects any sort of cross-buy deal for the games. I could see a bundle that includes both games at a reduced price, but nothing on the level of, say when you were able to get a free downloadable copy of the Vita version of Play Station All-Stars when when you bought the PS3 version last year.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Lemming posted:

I don't think they will do that. They know the 3DS is their bread and butter at this point. They don't want to piss off 3DS owners. I could see it having fewer characters or something.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but then somebody bought TWO Mario 64's. so it all evened out! Right?

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they shipped 1 copy of Mario 64 for every N64 shipped, and that's where the 1:1 thing comes in.

• Locked thread