Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Picked up my Surface Pro 2 on Saturday from the Microsoft Store. The 128 GB Surface Pro 2 cost me $500 after using a 10% coupon for attending the grand opening of the store on Friday and trading in 2 IPad 2s ($200 gift card for each). Got a free touch cover with the purchase too.

Any recommendations on screen protectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
Just got a 32GB Dell Venue 8 Pro from Walmart. They listed the price as $229 on their website and I got a local store to match. I installed a few steam games (FTL, Fallout 3, and Half-Life 2) and they all seam to work just fine, which is amazing. Pretty cool device, things like this will turn around Windows 8.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Upside Potential posted:

Just got a 32GB Dell Venue 8 Pro from Walmart. They listed the price as $229 on their website and I got a local store to match. I installed a few steam games (FTL, Fallout 3, and Half-Life 2) and they all seam to work just fine, which is amazing. Pretty cool device, things like this will turn around Windows 8.

Thanks for posting that. I bought mine from WalMart last week, the day it dropped from 299 to 279 and they matched it. Hopefully I can bring them the receipt and get them to give me back another 50 bucks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Well, looks like my love affair with the HP omni 10 has come to a early and abrupt end - I set it to charge overnight and it was still at 6% in the morning. I can't get it to accept a charge or show as plugged in. It is either a bad charger, or more likely, a bad charger port on the device, like my girlfriend's lovely Toshiba laptop I was perpetually fixing. Luckily, Office Depot will take it back for a full refund.

I think I am going to try to find a Venue 8 @ $230 and pocket the difference.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do cheap Android tablets tend to have all the hardware/firmware problems that cheap Windows tablets apparently have? I'd normally chalk it up to computing devices that have advanced state-of-the-art processors and pretty screens but only cost a few hundred dollars needing to make some compromises somewhere, but it's not like this market hasn't been seeing some success over the past year or two; you'd think they'd have figured out how to make it work by now.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

loquacius posted:

Do cheap Android tablets tend to have all the hardware/firmware problems that cheap Windows tablets apparently have? I'd normally chalk it up to computing devices that have advanced state-of-the-art processors and pretty screens but only cost a few hundred dollars needing to make some compromises somewhere, but it's not like this market hasn't been seeing some success over the past year or two; you'd think they'd have figured out how to make it work by now.

It depends on your perception of "Cheap". The nexus 7 is a beautiful and brilliant machine. Even last year's model is really good.

edit : that said, there's still been firmware issues they've had to sort out. The 2013 nexus 7 apparently had a bunch of issues with touch sensitivity that were broken by one update, and fixed by another. I didn't have those problems, but many did.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 26, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

loquacius posted:

The only real issue has been Dell's firmware for their stylus and they're working on it. Everything else has been personal preference (build quality/size)

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Call Me Charlie posted:

The only real issue has been Dell's firmware for their stylus and they're working on it. Everything else has been personal preference (build quality/size)

Weren't there reported issues with the auto-brightening and what not too?

I was looking for a tablet that would be able to handle comic books, my web activity (SA Forums, Feedly, Reddit, ESPN), play movies. I wanted plenty of storage space and battery life without paying a premium. Gaming isn't that important to me.

I was looking for a 10" Android tablet that might fill that niche, but nothing really does. At this point, I'm seriously considering giving the Dell Venue 8 a shot. The price is right and it has everything I want except the 10in form factor I believe.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

cbubbles posted:

I think that's more Intel/AMD/Microsoft stupidity than anything else.

My x120e had the same issue where, if I didn't turn off Varibright, it would decide that the backlight should be turned off whenever any dark content was on the screen. It made watching movies impossible.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think that's more Intel/AMD/Microsoft stupidity than anything else.

My x120e had the same issue where, if I didn't turn off Varibright, it would decide that the backlight should be turned off whenever any dark content was on the screen. It made watching movies impossible.

Seconding, as my SP2 had this same issue until I turned the setting off. It's generally a really dumb setting that they probably should have axed and certainly shouldn't have left on by default.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

cbubbles posted:

I was looking for a tablet that would be able to handle comic books, my web activity (SA Forums, Feedly, Reddit, ESPN), play movies. I wanted plenty of storage space and battery life without paying a premium. Gaming isn't that important to me.

I was looking for a 10" Android tablet that might fill that niche, but nothing really does. At this point, I'm seriously considering giving the Dell Venue 8 a shot. The price is right and it has everything I want except the 10in form factor I believe.

There is the T100 and you should be able to pick up a surface for cheap. Whats wrong with Android for this work load? Specifically there are crazy sales on things like the Nook HD+ or Kindle Fire HD. You should be able to get either like $100 and they will handle comic books much better than the Venue 8.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Stick100 posted:

There is the T100 and you should be able to pick up a surface for cheap. Whats wrong with Android for this work load? Specifically there are crazy sales on things like the Nook HD+ or Kindle Fire HD. You should be able to get either like $100 and they will handle comic books much better than the Venue 8.

Didn't seem like the response to the T100 was particularly positive? I don't need the laptop dock portion (it's a nice bonus I guess), but it seemed there was enough reason not to go for it.

Nothing is wrong with Android. Considering my basic needs I was seriously considering picking up a cheaper galaxy tab 3 10.1 somewhere on black friday. That said, the venue keeps coming up as a good buy and it is a compelling thought to have a full windows computer in tablet form. I've looked into the Nook HD+ and Kindle Fire HD - I mostly don't want to mess with the Amazon OS (Had a Kindle before and didn't particularly like it) and I tried the nook in stores but it felt a little sluggish?

I did look at the surface and am considering that too, if any of the ballpark $200 deals came with the type cover I would be all over that. I have tried and don't particularly like the touch cover.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Re: Backlight issue

I've seen some reviews say that when you turn off the auto dimming on the Dell venue pro 11 the battery life is dramatically reduced to about 6 hours or so, which would be pretty disappointing if you were expecting 10.

Can anyone say if they've noticed reduced battery life on the venue pro 8 without auto dimming on that as well?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sri.Theo posted:

Re: Backlight issue

I've seen some reviews say that when you turn off the auto dimming on the Dell venue pro 11 the battery life is dramatically reduced to about 6 hours or so, which would be pretty disappointing if you were expecting 10.

Can anyone say if they've noticed reduced battery life on the venue pro 8 without auto dimming on that as well?

In Paul Thurrotts review, he said he got roughly 8 hours on his streaming video test with auto brightness on, 5 with it off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How would an i3 Dell Venue 11 with dock rate as an ultrabook alternative to, say, a windows-laden Macbook Air 11?

And anything else viable in this area besides Surface Pro 2?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 27, 2013

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

MikeJF posted:

How would an i3 Dell Venue 11 with dock rate as an ultrabook alternative to, say, a windows-laden Macbook Air 11?

And anything else viable in this area besides Surface Pro 2?

I saw some HP hybrids that are Core i3 or i5, but they are all over 13 inches. That might be a bit big.

Here's a list. http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...hopByUse=Hybrid

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Clark Nova posted:

Well, looks like my love affair with the HP omni 10 has come to a early and abrupt end - I set it to charge overnight and it was still at 6% in the morning. I can't get it to accept a charge or show as plugged in. It is either a bad charger, or more likely, a bad charger port on the device, like my girlfriend's lovely Toshiba laptop I was perpetually fixing. Luckily, Office Depot will take it back for a full refund.

I think I am going to try to find a Venue 8 @ $230 and pocket the difference.

Our demo unit does the same thing. Can't get it past 6%

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CFWRk7AodyEsAUw

Anyone who wants a Dell Venue 8 at a decent price with a free man purse thrown in, now is the time!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Costco has the Venue 8 on sale for $229 as well.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

system protocol posted:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CFWRk7AodyEsAUw

Anyone who wants a Dell Venue 8 at a decent price with a free man purse thrown in, now is the time!

Man purses are for wimps. Real men shove medium-sized tablets into the back of their pants. :colbert: Not the back pockets; you shove them into the waistband and let your back and belt keep it in. (A belt and undershirt is recommended.) Like an inner waistband holster for a handgun.

Actually, I would like for there to be a holster or caddy so that I don't have to worry about messing up the finish on the tablet or folio cover, the tablet sliding too far down my pants, and pulling out my waistband to make room for the tablet to make it easier to put away. Just need to figure out what to make it out of or what to repurpose.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The last thing I want on my tablet is my rear end, I'll just hold the tablet or store it in my backpack.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm getting my dell venue pro 11 today (with keyboard), i'll give my impressions over the weekend probably.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The Venue 8 actually fits on the inside pocket of a few of my jackets, so I get the bonus of an extra layer of bullet protection.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mister Fister posted:

I'm getting my dell venue pro 11 today (with keyboard), i'll give my impressions over the weekend probably.

Which keyboard did you get?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Call Me Charlie posted:

Which keyboard did you get?

The one with the battery, not a big fan of flip cover keyboards (otherwise i'd get a surface).

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The last thing I want on my tablet is my rear end, I'll just hold the tablet or store it in my backpack.

I have my tablet sitting at and above the belt line and why I want a holster to keep it that height. That way you won't sit on and it sits up against your lower back. With a loose outer shirt, the tablet won't print.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Ixian posted:

Costco has the Venue 8 on sale for $229 as well.

Any details on this? My local store doesn't carry them, and I don't see that price listed on Costco.com, nor in the current flyer. I have my annual rebate I'd love to use on this.

Edit: and of course as soon as I post that I find it online: http://www.costco.com/Dell-Venue-8-Pro-WiFi-Tablet-%7c-Intel-Quad-Core-%7c-Windows-8.1-%7c-Office-2013.product.100082672.html

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 27, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

MikeJF posted:

If you're ever thinking about getting a Mac to run Windows on primarily - don't. Apple puts the minimum effort into their bootcamp drivers, so battery life and especially trackpad performance is piss-poor under Windows IME. It's fine for occasional use, but as a permanent Windows laptop it's makes far more sense to get a Windows ultrabook, especially as many of them have much higher-res displays now for a cheaper price.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Do all Venue 8 Pros come with pens? I know with the Thinkpad Tablet 2, there was a version with and without a digitizer, and even if you bought the pen it wouldn't work on one sold without one. Is this the same case with the Dell Venue 8?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kazy posted:

Do all Venue 8 Pros come with pens? I know with the Thinkpad Tablet 2, there was a version with and without a digitizer, and even if you bought the pen it wouldn't work on one sold without one. Is this the same case with the Dell Venue 8?

Nope. It's an add-on. None of them come with the pen.

And every one has a digitizer built in.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 28, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

If you're ever thinking about getting a Mac to run Windows on primarily - don't. Apple puts the minimum effort into their bootcamp drivers, so battery life and especially trackpad performance is piss-poor under Windows IME. It's fine for occasional use, but as a permanent Windows laptop it's makes far more sense to get a Windows ultrabook, especially as many of them have much higher-res displays now for a cheaper price.

I was one of those guys for a while - "But I love Apple hardware" - and HM is right, don't buy an Air to run Windows. They are great laptops, and OSX has improved over the years, but Apple really doesn't give two shits about Bootcamp beyond checking off a box so people on the fence about OSX buy their stuff anyway.

These days, good Windows laptops - not the $499 piece of poo poo specials, but decent, Air-priced ones - can beat any Apple laptop *when running Windows*. So if you want Windows go for one of those.

Several of my developers are partial to the new 13'' Lenovo Yogas if you are thinking that size. I prefer the SP2 but I travel a shitload.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Mister Fister posted:

How did you get yours already? Dell told me 12/17 to ship, although they already sent me the Mobility Keyboard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay then macs suck.

Right now we're tossing up between a Vaio Pro 11 Ultrabook or getting a Venue Pro 11 with the full keyboard dock, but the lack of USB ports even with the dock is a hindrance.

Are there any other tablet+dock options in similar use range? The Surface 2 Pro, and the T100 is kinda underpowered...

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

MikeJF posted:

Okay then macs suck.

Right now we're tossing up between a Vaio Pro 11 Ultrabook or getting a Venue Pro 11 with the full keyboard dock, but the lack of USB ports even with the dock is a hindrance.

Are there any other tablet+dock options in similar use range? The Surface 2 Pro, and the T100 is kinda underpowered...

Don't wanna sound like a broken record here, but HP's selection of "hybrid" devices might have what you're looking for:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...hopByUse=Hybrid

Barring any customs issues, I should be getting my Pavilion 11 X2 next week, so I will post my impressions on it then if anyone is interested to hear them.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

AgentHaiTo posted:

How did you get yours already? Dell told me 12/17 to ship, although they already sent me the Mobility Keyboard.

Dunno, they told me December 12th or something like that, but shipped it real early... playing with it now.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Mister Fister posted:

Dunno, they told me December 12th or something like that, but shipped it real early... playing with it now.

Which configuration did you get? I got the i5/8GB Ram/256 SSD configuration. Only thing I added was the mobility keyboard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regarding the Venue 11's keyboard dock; that thing connects by microUSB, right? Does the dock chain out another microUSB port so you can charge the tablet or connect a device whilst it's docked?

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009

Oz posted:

Don't wanna sound like a broken record here, but HP's selection of "hybrid" devices might have what you're looking for:

Barring any customs issues, I should be getting my Pavilion 11 X2 next week, so I will post my impressions on it then if anyone is interested to hear them.

Please do. I'm very keen to hear what you think of it.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Oz posted:

I hope your device doesn't have the same issues as the 2 HP devices (pavilion and envy) at the Microsoft store that just opened by my house. Both of the devices had response issues with their windows button on the tablet portion. You really had to press and hold the button instead of just tapping that area like you do on the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

AgentHaiTo posted:

Which configuration did you get? I got the i5/8GB Ram/256 SSD configuration. Only thing I added was the mobility keyboard.

Got the Baytrail 64 gig version

MikeJF posted:

Regarding the Venue 11's keyboard dock; that thing connects by microUSB, right? Does the dock chain out another microUSB port so you can charge the tablet or connect a device whilst it's docked?

If you didn't mention it, i wouldn't have noticed the microusb port on it, they put it in the weirdest place (where the tablet snaps into the dock)

• Locked thread