Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Austrian mook posted:

Well guess what! I'm Canadian! :v:

Sorry for the confusion

Which still, PS4 + PSN + MGSV comes to $600 when tax is included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

To put those Super Mario 3D World numbers in perspective, the weekly games sold data for it was between Nov.18th to 24th and the games been out only two days since they calculated the numbers, its also came out number 2 on its chart too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That was definitely a lot of discussion for a number I pulled out of my rear end. Yeah, for 600$ I could get a WiiU and like every game I really want on the system. Sorry Sony.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Speaking of Tower Defence, I bet Nintendo could make a really awesome tower defence game. Especially if they utilize the Gamepad.

Isn't that essentially what Armadillo Charlie is? (I don't remember the real name, it's a 3DS eShop title)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

Isn't that essentially what Armadillo Charlie is? (I don't remember the real name, it's a 3DS eShop title)
Dillon's Rolling Western or something? I've heard it's great, and there's a sequel iirc.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hell yes. If you like Pikmin 1 and 2, you'll love it to bits.

I know this is from a few pages back, but if I've never played a Pikmin game, would I understand/enjoy Pikmin 3?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Literally Elvis posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but if I've never played a Pikmin game, would I understand/enjoy Pikmin 3?

Theres nothing you have to know from the other two. The game pretty much starts you from square one, teaching you how to play assuming you have never touched a Pikmin before (makes sense considering how long its been since Pikmin 2). The story doesnt even really rely on the first two games except the knowledge that Olimar is the dude from the other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTySRQZT54o

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Speaking of Tower Defence, I bet Nintendo could make a really awesome tower defence game. Especially if they utilize the Gamepad.

Dillon's Rolling Western is what you're thinking of. Though it's more action-y than your typical tower defense game. The towers in that are mostly to weed out the really weak enemies and stall out stronger ones while you zip across the map trying to engage them in direct combat. And there were two entries in the series on the 3DS eShop. I could see a new entry in the series on the Wii U, though.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Literally Elvis posted:

Absolutely, playing Pikmin 3 without the others doesn't detract from the game at all but the others give the story/characters more depth. After you've played 3 you might be compelled to play the earlier games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dillon's Rolling Western is what you're thinking of. Though it's more action-y than your typical tower defense game. The towers in that are mostly to weed out the really weak enemies and stall out stronger ones while you zip across the map trying to engage them in direct combat. And there were two entries in the series on the 3DS eShop. I could see a new entry in the series on the Wii U, though.

I thought that's what it was. I was considering buying it when I had a 3DS but never tried it. Yeah, I'd like to see it on the Wii U. I'm thinking of Gamepad utilization.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Wii U arrived today. Bought it as I got bored with my 360 a while back, games all felt like they needed to be these epic, complicated thing half of the time and I found myself mucking about on my iPhone more. With the new consoles coming out I was itching for something new, and with the Wii U having a years library behind it and now some AAA titles, I picked one up with Sonic Transformed and Nintendoland from a guy online for £160 delivered. I've seen a Nintendoland bundle new for £200 in a store but they say they can't promise stock, and my HMV in town (one of two places that sell gaming stuff) were completely sold out on the 4 bundles they had at £250.

First impressions are great, the OS isn't perfect but it's a lot more 'fun' to use than the PS3/PS4/X360/XBONE ones are. The community seems 'nicer' too which is never a bad thing, I somehow seem to know quite a few friends with Wii Us, and another friend is contemplating it for Mario. Things like game rentals of the Wii Sports stuff is neat, I hope that rolls out to more titles. If the party gets drunk tomorrow, I bet the karaoke 1-hour rental will happen, and the fact it uses the mic in the gamepad is awesome - no buying microphones that get used once a year.

Looking forward to actually playing games again, this hasn't happened for ages. (I dug playing GTA on my housemates PS3 for a couple of decent sessions, but haven't returned to it in a while and I don't know anyone on PSN anyway for online).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EL BROMANCE posted:

I picked one up with Sonic Transformed

I just remembered how my friend still has that borrowed and I still have his Nintendoland.

I wanna play the Skies of Arcadia track again and weep at the fleeting idea of a Skies sequel :negative:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Wii U arrived today. Bought it as I got bored with my 360 a while back, games all felt like they needed to be these epic, complicated thing half of the time and I found myself mucking about on my iPhone more. With the new consoles coming out I was itching for something new, and with the Wii U having a years library behind it and now some AAA titles, I picked one up with Sonic Transformed and Nintendoland from a guy online for £160 delivered. I've seen a Nintendoland bundle new for £200 in a store but they say they can't promise stock, and my HMV in town (one of two places that sell gaming stuff) were completely sold out on the 4 bundles they had at £250.

First impressions are great, the OS isn't perfect but it's a lot more 'fun' to use than the PS3/PS4/X360/XBONE ones are. The community seems 'nicer' too which is never a bad thing, I somehow seem to know quite a few friends with Wii Us, and another friend is contemplating it for Mario. Things like game rentals of the Wii Sports stuff is neat, I hope that rolls out to more titles. If the party gets drunk tomorrow, I bet the karaoke 1-hour rental will happen, and the fact it uses the mic in the gamepad is awesome - no buying microphones that get used once a year.

Looking forward to actually playing games again, this hasn't happened for ages. (I dug playing GTA on my housemates PS3 for a couple of decent sessions, but haven't returned to it in a while and I don't know anyone on PSN anyway for online).

Welcome to the Miiverse, my fellow Brit.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

zenintrude posted:

Both 64 and DS (launch titles, one a quick and dirty port!) sold more copies in their first week on fewer systems than 3DW can sell on 1,190,956 systems in its first week... and 3DW is not competing with the PS4 or Xbone launch in Japan. Now I enjoy the hell out of my Wii U, but that's pretty depressing poo poo.

Japan sold that many systems?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Edoraz posted:

Japan sold that many systems?

Worldwide Wii U is sitting at around 3.9 million... Japan accounts for about 1.2 of those.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

EL BROMANCE posted:

If the party gets drunk tomorrow, I bet the karaoke 1-hour rental will happen, and the fact it uses the mic in the gamepad is awesome - no buying microphones that get used once a year.

Naw man, it's all about taking shots playing Nintendo Land; Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day are the bomb.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Newegg has Pikmin 3 for $40, which there is a 10% coupon that brings it down to $36.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878190291

NAFSM1127

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Sorry, you can use the gamepad as a screen but you can not use it as a controller. I have no idea if the gamepad counts as a sensor bar to point the wiimote at, but regardless it's pretty much completely useless unless being scrunched up with the gamepad sitting on your knees like Seabhac described sounds appealing to you.

Honestly l thought the same thing until I tried it, but it's great. Mind you, l aways got a lot more use out of my handheld consoles rather than tv ones so maybe it just suits the way I play.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Is there a way to clear out my download list? I'm sick of my console telling me data has finished downloading every time I open the home menu, even though it's the same old animal crossing plaza and wii sports trial from ages ago. The delete button makes it sound like it will delete the update itself not just the notifier.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Chance posted:

Is there a way to clear out my download list? I'm sick of my console telling me data has finished downloading every time I open the home menu, even though it's the same old animal crossing plaza and wii sports trial from ages ago. The delete button makes it sound like it will delete the update itself not just the notifier.

It... should clear that out just when you go back to the main Wii U menu, or you actually use the software, if it was some form of update.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In my experience you need to open the software after the download has completed to clear the message. Like I've got one for Wonderful 101 sitting there because I haven't played it in a couple months.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Super Slash posted:

Naw man, it's all about taking shots playing Nintendo Land; Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day are the bomb.

Nice, i think those are the 3 I haven't got to yet! I think they might be ones that need a second pad yeah? I've only got the one at the moment. Played that top down F-Zero one and didn't realise the camera was projecting my face on to the TV for everyone to laugh at!

I did go into the karaoke game and had some problems though - I have a 5.1 surround system, it correctly displays MultiCh on the input and the games are working in surround as they should. When I go into the options and enable GamePad Mic, I get the most horrendous feedback through the speakers. Anyone experienced this? Maybe my setup was too loud, or the volume control on the GamePad was set wrong or something bizarre like that?

Lots of fun been had making Miis tonight with friends. Amused me when I saw my housemate on one of the islands playing the balloon game on Nintendo Land. My other mate thought it was a Jesus Mii...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't isolate the particular issue you're having with the karaoke app but I do know that the gamepad mic is generally terrible for that thing, so definitely opt for a USB mic if you have one lying around.

There aren't any games that support a second gamepad yet, and there probably won't be any for a long while yet. All the multiplayer Nintendo Land stuff requires additional Wiimotes and/or Nunchuks.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nice, i think those are the 3 I haven't got to yet! I think they might be ones that need a second pad yeah? I've only got the one at the moment. Played that top down F-Zero one and didn't realise the camera was projecting my face on to the TV for everyone to laugh at!

Nothing uses two pads, all three of those use Wii Remotes for 4 players and the pad for one.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't isolate the particular issue you're having with the karaoke app but I do know that the gamepad mic is generally terrible for that thing, so definitely opt for a USB mic if you have one lying around.

Does it support Wii Speak? That would certainly be handy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry by 'pad' I meant generic controller rather than another Game Pad. I'm relieved you're not supposed to have more than one of those due to how much they'd probably cost!

Ah I'll see if anyone has a USB mic, I think someone has one lying about. Hopefully that won't cause the same problem. (If only I had an XLR -> USB!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literally Elvis posted:

You shouldn't have any problems. The three main characters have nothing to do with the first two games, and it'll give you a pretty good tutorial as you go so it's not like the game will dump you in blind.

edit: What's the general consensus on Mightyape.com.au? I've noticed they've somehow gotten ahold of the Limited Edition of Wind Waker HD and was wondering if they're a trustworthy store.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 28, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

greatn posted:

What's a MOBA? It seems like last year everyone was all "Hey what if X was a rogue like?" Now everyone is all "What if X was a MOBA?"

Bread Set Jettison posted:

DOTA / League of Legends type game

These are also known as Fast Action Real Time Strategy

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So it looks like the latest Miiverse update disables the option to right-click and save screenshots in the browser version. Anyone know a workaround? All the more reason to upload those higher-res shots via the Wii U's browser, I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Behonkiss posted:

So it looks like the latest Miiverse update disables the option to right-click and save screenshots in the browser version. Anyone know a workaround? All the more reason to upload those higher-res shots via the Wii U's browser, I guess.

You can use your browser's page inspector (F12 in Chrome, Resources tab, Frames, then one of the images will be it, right click and Open in New Tab) to get them. For instance: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRLe6LgAmIGUhU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Question: Has anyone played Scribblenauts Unmasked? Thoughts?

Opinion: DuckTales Remastered is a ton of fun, and well worth $20.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

PRADA SLUT posted:

These are also known as Fast Action Real Time Strategy

FARTS does have a better ring to it than MOBA.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

GI_Clutch posted:

FARTS does have a better ring to it than MOBA.

Well now you're just giving them the idea to make their entry into the genre Wario themed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Not to split hairs, but would he really need PSN?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If he wanted to play online, sure. That's a thing now. Nintendo's currently the only console maker not charging for this feature.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wound up ordering Wind Waker HD from Mightyape as they're apparently decent. If anyone else is still wanting the PAL version LoZ:Wind Waker HD Limited Edition (the one with the sweet Ganondorf statue), Mighty Ape has limited stock of it for $99AU, plus about $7.50 for shipping.

http://www.mightyape.com.au/product/Nintendo-Wii-U/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-Limited-Edition/21708047/

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Red posted:

Question: Has anyone played Scribblenauts Unmasked? Thoughts?
There are a ton of characters in it including some incredibly obscure people. It's the same gameplay as every other Scribblenauts game just different missions, locations and you can wear costumes that give different abilities/powers. If you're a huge DC fan or really want a new Scribblenauts game to play you should get it, otherwise it'd probably be better to hold off until it's cheaper to buy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Chance posted:

I thought I was the only one with this problem! :ohdear: anyone have a solution to this problem?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

If he wanted to play online, sure. That's a thing now. Nintendo's currently the only console maker not charging for this feature.

They're also the only console maker not actually doing anything with online play.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
My eyes might be bleeding here, but are there no Black Friday Wii U deals happening? I see awesome DS deals, but I'd love to jump on Nintendo's sinking ship (this is a joke) at a discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Psyker posted:

My eyes might be bleeding here, but are there no Black Friday Wii U deals happening? I see awesome DS deals, but I'd love to jump on Nintendo's sinking ship (this is a joke) at a discount.

Most of the deals I've seen are game discounts. I really wish somewhere in Canada would put the Wii U Pro controllers on sale.

• Locked thread