Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showpost.php?p=1684616&postcount=61

I will push so many people under the bus if Funcom is willing to back this threat. Kind of curious how this pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showpost.php?p=1684616&postcount=61

I will push so many people under the bus if Funcom is willing to back this threat. Kind of curious how this pans out.

My PvP kills would suffer from that, don't take that away from me. But the best troll Fandom could ever do is drop every single piece of 10.5 gear. Because most were not earned, but exploited into existence. In fact, i support this. Death to all 10.5.5's.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HughGRect posted:

My PvP kills would suffer from that, don't take that away from me. But the best troll Fandom could ever do is drop every single piece of 10.5 gear. Because most were not earned, but exploited into existence. In fact, i support this. Death to all 10.5.5's.

I'm in over 50% 10.5.5 gear and earned all of it.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
All my achievements and gear were done legit. Hooray for having the moral high ground!

But my account is currently banned because Funcom suddenly decided my credit card wasn't good enough for them, so there's that I suppose.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

I'm in over 50% 10.5.5 gear and earned all of it.

I took two months off raiding and have one astral fuse to my name. Congrats on being able to roll I guess? But there were lots of people exploiting the lurker at launch.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Len posted:

I took two months off raiding and have one astral fuse to my name. Congrats on being able to roll I guess? But there were lots of people exploiting the lurker at launch.

Literal cabals full.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I came in way too late to exploit the Lurker or get the Warchitect/Karma Curio, so it does kind of suck that the one thing I did get to do (and had a bit of fun with) got rolled back.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The name of the game has always been "exploit early, exploit often". Which, honestly, is one of th ose albatrosses it will never divest itself from.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Toshimo posted:

The name of the game has always been "exploit early, exploit often". Which, honestly, is one of those albatrosses it will never divest itself from.

Got an alt and a half up to nightmares solely through dynamite. :can:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I'm working my way through City of the Sun God, and I'm tired of playing alone. How active is the goon cabal?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Trashcan posted:

I'm working my way through City of the Sun God, and I'm tired of playing alone. How active is the goon cabal?

HA! Hilariously most of the instances are solo-only. So enjoy playing by yourself.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Trashcan posted:

Get on mumble

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HA! Hilariously most of the instances are solo-only. So enjoy playing by yourself.

This isn't true for much of anything added after 1.5

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GEMorris posted:

Get on mumble

This isn't true for much of anything added after 1.5

Mumble is dead quite a bit lately so the real answer to that question is "the goon presence is pretty dead."

The dude's in CotSG and still going into Transylvania. He's going to have so many solo instances ahead of him.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I don't remember a lot of solos in CotSG or Transylvania, other than the story quests.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I don't remember a lot of solos in CotSG or Transylvania, other than the story quests.

That's because almost all missions in those zones were in the field. The only stances I can think of were the Dimir farm and the Castle, which were both solo stealth missions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There are somany solo story instances.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Len posted:

There are somany solo story instances.

Are you banned again yet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Are you banned again yet?

Should be but I dunno haven't tried to sign in yet today.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got an email for a new Golden Weekend. Riveting content.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Len posted:

I'll take it so I can finally max out my wheel. Wish that it came with the extra bullion drops though.

EDIT: I love that everything Funcom Tech support has asked me to do has broken my game more. First my inventory is completely scrambled, now my game's sitting at a black screen and not loading.

Zhaan fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 26, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

I want to be pissed that we're getting more awful loving golden robots, but that's clearly what this community wants.

I've never seen a community be so consistently wrong about objectively bad design elements. From my perspective, there is quite simply no arguing the fact that the golem megabosses are bad. They're boring to fight, require (and get) a concentration of players so high that the framerate quite simply can't handle it, give completely random rewards so you can't even reliably get anything, and I'd say the worst part is that they stop you from actually playing the game. I remember the first time I met their precursors from the Mayan Apocalypse event, because this fuckoff-huge lagtastic megafight was right on top of my mission objective. I believe later the same day, one spawned directly on top of me while I was traveling through the zone on my way to another mission.

And yet, no, somehow these are well-received. Despite every single part of the fight and the event being a horrible and unfun idea, directly spawned from a horrible decision.

EDIT: I'm taking a break from the game right now to recover from RP, because it's hard to constantly roleplay a character with severe depression and no self-esteem. I kept wondering now that she's getting some time off, why is she still like that? It's clearly detrimental to both me and her, nobody likes it, and quite frankly things are going pretty well for her. ...But then stuff like this happens, and I realize that she continues to be like that because everyone around her is lovely and wrong and have bad opinions, and somehow the world bends to cater to them.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 27, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I want to be pissed that we're getting more awful loving golden robots, but that's clearly what this community wants.

I've never seen a community be so consistently wrong about objectively bad design elements. From my perspective, there is quite simply no arguing the fact that the golem megabosses are bad. They're boring to fight, require (and get) a concentration of players so high that the framerate quite simply can't handle it, give completely random rewards so you can't even reliably get anything, and I'd say actually the worst part is that they stop you from actually playing the game. I remember the first time I met their precursors from the Mayan Apocalypse event, because this fuckoff-huge lagtastic megafight was right on top of my mission objective. I believe later the same day, one spawned directly on top of me while I was traveling through the zone on my way to another mission.

And yet, no, somehow these are well-received. Despite every single part of the fight and the event being a horrible and unfun idea, directly spawned from a horrible decision.

This is probably the most correct thing I've ever read from you. And yes the community is ecstatic from what I can tell. They're pumped for more AP (like it's hard to get to begin with :psyduck:) and more bags or whatever? I dunno. I could potentially see myself signing in to let pubbies kill golems for me if they drop augments randomly. But unless that happens I won't waste my time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah it feels weird to agree with Cleretic but I do, 100%. I couldn't believe it when I saw the email. They're really doing the same stupid thing again.

I quit, and I don't know if I'm coming back for Tokyo.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

guppy posted:

Yeah it feels weird to agree with Cleretic but I do, 100%. I couldn't believe it when I saw the email. They're really doing the same stupid thing again.

I quit, and I don't know if I'm coming back for Tokyo.

Your an RP'r with severe depression and no self-esteem?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Who needs to RP? I live that poo poo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HughGRect posted:

Goddamned edits.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Zhaan posted:

EDIT: I love that everything Funcom Tech support has asked me to do has broken my game more. First my inventory is completely scrambled, now my game's sitting at a black screen and not loading.
At least your game is loading. Current status: still banned :sigh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

At least your game is loading. Current status: still banned :sigh:

I've been reinstalling the client for like 5 hours now. I did get banned from the forums for making the devs feel bad though.

Edit: Still installing the client.

"What is not alright is your blatant insulting of other users and stirring the pot with the developers, who do not have to spend time posting on the forums... they do it on their own volition to encourage dialogue between the community and themselves - from everything from their favorite pastries and other inane topics to the more serious matters of the implications of game decisions."

Or as I interpret it "You make the devs sad."

Len fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 27, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I was going to make a very encouraging post here and then I ran into the loving Padurii boss again. The last boss is what actually drops stuff now, and it's still a loving padurii and I have to do it with pubbies most of the time! They don't get "walk it away until the mote is about to move." They don't even get "pull the motes away." Jesus loving christ gently caress you game how was this boss a good idea

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Secret World: I was going to make a very encouraging post here and then Funcom

So devs don't have to read and respond on their forums, but if they encounter negative comments, that's wasting their time. Also, I bet like not having to read their forums, their stance on game design is the same - they are working hard, but don't expect them to make the game mechanically good (and especially don't make posts about it!).

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 27, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I have now simmered, and am only very irked by the Padurii's presence.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I have now simmered, and am only very irked by the Padurii's presence.

You mean you've calmed down from Funcom making a boss that bugs out pretty consistently?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Len posted:

You mean you've calmed down from Funcom making a boss that bugs out pretty consistently?

I still resent that they took the universally recognized "worst thing in the game" and made in the cornerstone of issue 8 and scenarios in general.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
And here was I, warming up to play this again... But by reading the last few post I think I better stay away for a little while longer.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

BaconPigbutt posted:

And here was I, warming up to play this again... But by reading the last few post I think I better stay away for a little while longer.

Don't let our butt hurt ramblings about a broken niche corner of unimportant gameplay deter you. If you have not finished the story or other single player content, chances are you wouldn't be disappointed by playing those.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I was just about to post and say how my first few days with this game have been fun :3: but now it sounds like everyone hates it! What's the story with this game then as we keep going? Is the endgame stuff bad? Is it just the leveling content that is fun? Does that even remain fun as get deeper?

Anyway I'll probably buy it and I'm excited to keep exploring! Though these investigation missions are tough so I cheat. Don't tell anyone.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Gene Simmons posted:

I was just about to post and say how my first few days with this game have been fun :3: but now it sounds like everyone hates it! What's the story with this game then as we keep going? Is the endgame stuff bad? Is it just the leveling content that is fun? Does that even remain fun as get deeper?

Anyway I'll probably buy it and I'm excited to keep exploring! Though these investigation missions are tough so I cheat. Don't tell anyone.

The main storyline and missions are great, and when they release new issues with new missions those are great too. The endgame, which used to just be Nightmare dungeons but which now includes the Scenario and Augment systems, are horribly designed and increasingly grindy and stupid. Do the fun parts, don't grind unless you hate yourself.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Gene Simmons posted:

There's a contingent of long-time TSW goons who expect that Funcom will make compelling new content on their shoestring budget, despite zero evidence that would support this position. Funcom took the problem of "No endgame" and rectified it in a way they had the resources and leadership to implement: an endgame grind for skill modifiers. As TSW was originally touted to be "non-grindy" this of course wouldn't sit well with anyone who bought into the game when Funcom had actual staff and actual money.

Several regulars from the Mumble server have recently said they are leaving due to their disappointment with 1.8, and they are venting their frustrations in here as well.

tl;dr : there may be slightly fewer folks in mumble in the short term and it will be slightly more difficult to get Nightmare goon groups, especially ones where 4 other 10.4/5 players carry you through. Otherwise, the game is still good (even great in many places) but the end-game right now is a bit of a grind. If you enjoy what you've experienced so far, stick with it and get on mumble.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Everyone knows I'm super lazy and I'm never in mumble, but if ya ever need me, hit me on steam and if I'm around I'll hop in to help with whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I reinstalled the client so you can hit me up on steam and I still usually float around mumble.

• Locked thread