Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Pointy sideburn crew represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Every time I do my post St Pat's shave, I try them out. They do not look good on me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

kelvron posted:

Every time I do my post St Pat's shave, I try them out. They do not look good on me.

They don't look good on anyone. I think that's the point.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

hailthefish posted:

They don't look good on anyone. I think that's the point.

I know, but I still got a nerdy little kid voice inside of me going "it'll look awesome, try it out!"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If I can't maintain a facial hair sculpt while in the shower with no mirror, it's no good. Instead, I just line my fingers up along my ears and cheekbones. Picture perfect, every time.

God, I need a bolian barber.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So lately I've been watching a bunch of TOS. I've pretty much seen all episodes at least once already but in a more "oh hey, TOS is on TV!" disjointed way than actually sitting down and watching the episodes. I'm really enjoying it but there is something that I can't quite describe bugging me constantly. I don't know if it's the campiness of it all, which I usually love, or something else. It's hard to describe because it's kind of inconsistent. Still enjoyable overall and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

The last episode I watched was Charlie X and good lord was that guy annoying. I hope the floaty green face who took him away in the end smacked some sense into him after they teleported him to the huge green face factory or whatever. What a massive baby and such a creepy guy. Ugh. Horrible. On top of that he was like the creepiest proto-stalker ever. Take the drat hint you idiot! And that derpy face every time he used his powers, that was TOS acting at its best.

Last but not least I want to say that I love the crap out of "Spocks Brain". How much better can it possibly get? The remote controlled Spock body, the sounds the remote control made every time they used it, Bones looking all crazy and methed out while performing brain surgery. I loved it. Easily my favorite part, though, was the derpy girl going "Brain and Brain! WHAT IS BRAIN?!". Ooooh boy, what is brain indeed. A masterful display of acting chops.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wasn't a lot of the goofiness of early TNG a result of Roddenberry just reworking scripts from the failed Phase II of TOS that never aired? Those stories were basically meant to have been done by Kirk and his newer crew.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

abraxas posted:

The last episode I watched was Charlie X and good lord was that guy annoying. I hope the floaty green face who took him away in the end smacked some sense into him after they teleported him to the huge green face factory or whatever. What a massive baby and such a creepy guy. Ugh. Horrible. On top of that he was like the creepiest proto-stalker ever. Take the drat hint you idiot! And that derpy face every time he used his powers, that was TOS acting at its best.

I think its safe to say everyone hates the 'kid' episodes of TOS. Charlie X, And the Children Shall Lead, and Miri. I've probably seen most of the TOS episodes dozens of times, but probably have only watched those kid episodes twice ever. Ugh. I especially remember Charlie X creeping the crap out of me as a kid, some of that is terrifying poo poo.

Although, Charlie X is where my avatar came from, so I'll give it that.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

abraxas posted:

I'm really enjoying it but there is something that I can't quite describe bugging me constantly.

It is just really dated, I can't think of a single TV show from the 60s I'd give 30 seconds to, let alone a whole 45 mins or whatever. I can't watch it when it just appears on TV, I'm not in the TOS mood, and the TOS mood pretty much means that incredible remastered series in high def, sitting in your crazy home cinema, preferably with a TOSbro next to you and if you have some weed - well poo poo, we got ourselves a night.

It's not really casual for me; usually you gotta pay attention to what's going on and you don't zone in an out like you do with (certainly later) TNG. You often don't want to either, scene after scene of TOS can have you going whoa, but it's different than chill 90s TV.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't a lot of the goofiness of early TNG a result of Roddenberry just reworking scripts from the failed Phase II of TOS that never aired? Those stories were basically meant to have been done by Kirk and his newer crew.

Quite possibly why I was all - Seasons 1 & 2 are quite good, I thought :tinfoil:

Deadman63
Apr 16, 2005

Apple Jax posted:

I especially remember Charlie X creeping the crap out of me as a kid, some of that is terrifying poo poo.

The scene where he makes the woman's face disappear, then she's blindly groping her way along the wall, freaked the gently caress out of me when I was young. I still think it's unsettling.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also just his 60s goofiness in general. Virtually all of the women are described in the "guide" he published for writers and directors as "very womanly," followed by a leering description, plus he wants to be clear that Wesley "most definitely is not a 'nerd'."

It's also really fun to read because of all the stuff he says in "What doesn't work," because they end up doing pretty much all of it over TNG's run.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Does someone have the quote about Ferengi dicks? Truly, the apogee of the TNG bible.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Farecoal posted:

Is the Frakes/Sirtis commentary for Insurrection available only with the DVD/Bluray version of the movie?
It's on youtube, but I noticed when searching it today that two of the parts have been deleted recently. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL28CE3F0096111BD6

Otherwise it looks like it's on this blu-ray (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Insurrection_%28Blu-ray%29), which had better be the version that's in my blu-ray TNG movie box set.

EDIT: According to Amazon the box-set BR version does include this commentary track. Which is great because I've got a long weekend coming up.

tasslex fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 27, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Does someone have the quote about Ferengi dicks? Truly, the apogee of the TNG bible.

The full version that I know of is here if you want to look for some choice gems:

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/2_The_Next_Generation/Star_Trek_-_The_Next_Generation_Bible.pdf

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Memory Alpha only lists a couple scripts as being lifted from Phase II. One was the season two opener, The Child, and the other was the cheesy Hey-you're-godlike-but-not-really-a-god Devil's Due due from season four.

The biggest leftover is the Riker/Troi dynamic, which they used in both The Motion Picture and Next Gen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure the Naked Now was another script that was revised.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

The full version that I know of is here if you want to look for some choice gems:

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/2_The_Next_Generation/Star_Trek_-_The_Next_Generation_Bible.pdf

holy poo poo

I've never seen this. It, in no uncertain terms, spells out exactly what Trek is and answers so many of those niggling questions. Artistic license was used after a time surely, but this still is an amazing example of what TNG was and supposed to be.

Very cool.

edit: band of brothers feeling, not a star and co-star series but a family ensemble in which the continuing characters felt a great affection for each other, allowing the audience to identify and share with that feeling of affection. Black and white, written by Gene himself. This is the magic of the TOS cast and why so many of us love them so. This is also why JJ Trek is just Kirk and Spock as modern action/drama stars and the other characters so flimsy that it misses this. It's pretty amazing it's written there so plainly, the TOS magic was no accident. Gene had some moves.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 27, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, only two of the Phase II scripts got used, one of them being The Child opening second season, the other being Devil's Due from mid-fourth season.

Early TNG was terrible because Gene was ripped out of his mind on drugs, he was still bitter over losing creative control of the movies, his attack lawyer Leonard Maizlish was both fueling his angry paranoia and literally re-writing scripts himself, and Paramount was unwilling to directly challenge Gene's authority over the running of the show.

There was no stability and no reasoning behind the feedback Gene would give on scripts. He might love a script one day and then come back the next day and call it the worst piece of poo poo he'd ever seen. He might call a writer in and give the writer notes for a script that were written by an entirely different writer. He'd even play bullshit games like when he said "yeah, I think you should write that script, just run it by this other guy" and when the writer got to the other guy's office he said "I just got off the phone with Gene, he told me to tell you no."

Gene really hosed over his friends, too; he broke a lot of promises to David Gerrold (who, had he chosen to fight it out in the courts, could possibly have won a co-creator credit on TNG), and when Gerrold fought to be fairly compensated for his work, Gene verbally abused D.C. Fontana because he thought she was in on a conspiracy against him.

There was no stability among the writers in the early days. People came and went, so there wasn't much of a core of creative vision for the show, except for Gene and Maizlish and sort-of Maurice Hurley (who could be really hit and miss himself).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure the Naked Now was another script that was revised.

That was a ripoff of Naked Time from TOS. It wasn't a previously-unshot script, it was a redo of a TOS episode.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is this bible an example of Gene-crazy-time? I've only just started looking at it, but so far it's a pretty amazing example of exactly what makes good Trek and why Trek owns.

I've just started, maybe there is insanity in here yet..

examples:

episodes about psi powers at dumb and it should have some vague basis in science. holy poo poo yes, this is Troi and her loving mother all over.

no melodrama. People need to behave in a believable way.

no Vulcan or Klingon poo poo. We don't want to copy what we've already done. There should be plenty of other aliens.

our technology loving up to create tension. This becomes a common theme in TNG, something on the uber ship that can really solve every problem has to gently caress up or the ship can just resolve pretty much any conundrum. This lead into some of the worst techno-babble episodes there are

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 27, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, that's cool. I've got the third season bible at home. Interesting to see some differences.

Bicyclops posted:

It's also really fun to read because of all the stuff he says in "What doesn't work," because they end up doing pretty much all of it over TNG's run.

To be fair, I remember hearing that as the TNG writers got more bored towards the end of the show, they started actively considering breaking the rules just to change things up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Some of those crazier episodes were written when Berman was in charge. At least it seems like Gene generally had the right idea there. It also does explain the complete lack of Vulcans until much later on.

Also I noticed Worf isn't in that draft.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some of those crazier episodes were written when Berman was in charge. At least it seems like Gene generally had the right idea there. It also does explain the complete lack of Vulcans until much later on.

We saw Vulcans in the background in Encounter at Farpoint, and Dr. Selar in The Schizoid Man was a Vulcan.

Worf was originally not considered to be a major character, and a lot of the second-season bible is left over from first season.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That was a ripoff of Naked Time from TOS. It wasn't a previously-unshot script, it was a redo of a TOS episode.

Yeah, I recall something about how they felt Naked Time was such a great way to explore unseen sides of characters they decided to do it again on TNG, but in like, the second episode of the entire series instead of at least putting some distance between the pilot and it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The Script - Believability

If you're in doubt about a scene, you can apply this simple test: 'Would I believe this if it was occurring on the the bridge of the battleship Missouri?' If you wouldn't believe it in the twentieth century, then our audience probably won't believe it in the twenty-fourth.

Please remember that the major hero of Star Trek has always been the starship Enterprise and her mission. The ship is not just a vehicle -- she is the touchstone by which all of our characters demonstrate who they are what they're up to in the universe

Gene Trek school. Sounds pretty drat tight to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think he was the last character added. There might be some earlier ones without Wesley floating around somewhere, but I could be misremembering.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

There was no stability among the writers in the early days. People came and went, so there wasn't much of a core of creative vision for the show, except for Gene and Maizlish and sort-of Maurice Hurley (who could be really hit and miss himself).

The craziest thing that I heard about the writers room is that it was still in that state of flux during Season 3. They were still working under a sense of impending doom, but still managed to up the quality significantly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, I recall something about how they felt Naked Time was such a great way to explore unseen sides of characters they decided to do it again on TNG, but in like, the second episode of the entire series instead of at least putting some distance between the pilot and it.

The guy who originally wrote Naked Time was on staff at the time and recalled the conversation as being along the lines of:

Gene: "Hey, we need shootable material, so I'm ripping off Naked Time"
Black: "Is there anything I can say or do about it?"
Gene: "No"
Black: "fine, whatever :rolleyes: "

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tony Montana posted:

Gene Trek school. Sounds pretty drat tight to me.

David Gerrold wrote most of the first TNG bible. He had input from Gene, but it was Gerrold who actually sat down and wrote it out.

star trek
Apr 7, 2009

Kazy posted:

This is so good...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

The craziest thing that I heard about the writers room is that it was still in that state of flux during Season 3. They were still working under a sense of impending doom, but still managed to up the quality significantly.

Having just re-watched a bunch of the Season 2-4 special features, Season 3's bump in quality is almost completely due to Piller coming on as a showrunner/head writer. He changed the style of the show from "We visited planet x today" to "Today's episode is a Data/Picard/X Character story".

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Bicyclops posted:

Man, he's even got the divide between science fiction and science fantasy pinned down here. No wonder TNG turned out so solid after the early shakes.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

David Gerrold wrote most of the first TNG bible. He had input from Gene, but it was Gerrold who actually sat down and wrote it out.

Skeesix posted:

Man, he's even got the divide between science fiction and science fantasy pinned down here. No wonder TNG turned out so solid after the early shakes.

I don't know who Gerrold is, without going and hitting up Memory Alpha, but I get the point that it's not all Gene. It's got Gene and only Gene's name on the front, but shall I guess this is a recurring theme (Gene taking credit for other peoples work)?

You have to admit though, this is a strikingly succinct, intelligent and insightful manual of how to create good scifi television. Just the bit about how you should use the litmus test of if the action would fly on a real battleship's bridge hit me so hard - that's whats so loving great about lots of TOS and the TOS movies, that WW2 movie feeling of battleship action (watch Sink the Bismark! if you haven't seen it people, it's quite amazingly good for how old it is, you'll see lots of paralells).

I just am quite amazed how it's a lot of whyTOSowns.pdf

Do you think JJ actually read this thing, or was aware of it?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Gerrold wrote The Trouble with Tribbles and the controversial never-produced AIDS allegory episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Oh man, after reading that pdf, I flip back here and it feels so weird to see font with no serifs :ohdear:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hm well, we found a wormhole in the first episode and it was a key part of the resolution for the second. This is perhaps these longer arcs that are spoken of, it's quite different and that cool because drat have I watched a lot of conventional Trek.

That Odo guy's 'turn into anything' ability is a bit lovely though. Data was at least an android and robot mens being hardcore is always welcome to a scifi nerd, but Odo is like magic and you can see how you can just write plot from it whenever you need to. Also.. there is no Enterprise. No Enterprise. No Warp 5, no shields, no flying to a new and different place every episode. It's ok.. I'll be fine. *sobs quietly*

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tony Montana posted:

Hm well, we found a wormhole in the first episode and it was a key part of the resolution for the second. This is perhaps these longer arcs that are spoken of, it's quite different and that cool because drat have I watched a lot of conventional Trek.

That Odo guy's 'turn into anything' ability is a bit lovely though. Data was at least an android and robot mens being hardcore is always welcome to a scifi nerd, but Odo is like magic and you can see how you can just write plot from it whenever you need to. Also.. there is no Enterprise. No Enterprise. No Warp 5, no shields, no flying to a new and different place every episode. It's ok.. I'll be fine. *sobs quietly*

Press on brave soul. The first season has some roughness but also the best episode of all ds9.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Move Along Home?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Allamarain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Move Along Home is a terrible episode to watch when you're hungry. "All the merangue" indeed.

• Locked thread