Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
After weeks of dealing with Bell, I have an answer regarding the IP migration. We cant do it. The current service and the new service are on different APs on Bell's end so we cannot move it.

I've already sent emails to the owners, Sr Tech and account lead about this. I didn't get an out of office message so the account lead must be back from Cuba.

fakeedit: While writing this post the account lead emailed me asking me for a full list of infrastructure changes that need to be done on the Intranet side and with the GOA. I have no idea. I have never dealt with any of the infrastructure configuration here. The only person who would know was the previous account lead who was fired over a year ago and he didn't document anything. I don't even have access to the switches or router to see the configuration.

Given my history with this account lead, im fully expecting to be told to figure it out by end of day.

On the plus side, I got a call this morning for an interview with another services company. I was hoping to not work for another one, but desperate times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

On the plus side, I got a call this morning for an interview with another services company. I was hoping to not work for another one, but desperate times...

On the plus side, you know the warning signs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

On the plus side, you know the warning signs.

This.

When they ask you if you have questions, you should give them a "hypothetical" situation that is out of your scope and ask how they'd deal with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TWBalls posted:

Eh, it doesn't bother me enough to bother disabling any of them. I do, however, wonder why in the hell both Parallels and Outlook seem to think that they need an icon in the notification area. They're both on the taskbar for fucks sake. With Outlook, I can understand the 'new messages' icon that is there, but the main program icon is unnecessary.
Without it on the taskbar nobody would be able to find the emails they double-clicked open.

Also a lot of people set their notification area to auto-hide or autohide most stuff, most users I've used it to troubleshoot with, are amazed that outlook has an icon by the clock too.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

This.

When they ask you if you have questions, you should give them a "hypothetical" situation that is out of your scope and ask how they'd deal with it.

Also, for the love of god ask to see their server room. That will quickly tell you their give-a-poo poo level.

If the interviews are going well, turn the tables on them and start asking about processes, policies, discuss what you think about them without coming off as a knowitall or condescending. Make sure the place is a good fit for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Also, for the love of god ask to see their server room. That will quickly tell you their give-a-poo poo level.

If the interviews are going well, turn the tables on them and start asking about processes, policies, discuss what you think about them without coming off as a knowitall or condescending. Make sure the place is a good fit for you.

An upper circle of hell is probably a better fit for him than his current job.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Volmarias posted:

An upper circle of hell is probably a better fit for him than his current job.

"Rolling weights around forever, huh? And occasionally Plutus comes by and takes a swipe at me? But I don't have to answer any calls or tickets, right -- strictly project work, single task? How much did you say this position pays? Oh, unpaid internship, but on-campus boarding and meals? Hmmm..."

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Stolen from the webcomic thread:

Penny Arcade posts the Worst Junior Dev Job In The World

Nuns with Guns posted:

So if anyone here doesn't have a tumblr (a good thing) or lives under a rock, Penny Arcade is doing something that causes drama again.

Here's a testimonial from the guy who had the job previously. He has obviously been mentally damaged to the point of happily thinking work-life balance is bullshit and one should be thankful for every measly dollar your employer gives you for your eternal soul time spent on 24/7/365 2-minutes-to-fix on-call

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185114/about-the-penny-arcade-job-posting

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Holy poo poo the people defending that are insane.

quote:

There is this notion that work/life balance is some kind of sacred goal. I’m sorry, but it’s ludicrous. That’s like saying everyone would be fulfilled by getting married and having 2.5 kids. If you want to work 40 hours and never think about your job after 5pm, great! Find something that does that for you. If you want to work 80 or more hours at something you truly enjoy, in fact you don’t want to stop working ever because you love it so much, shouldn’t that be okay too? Shouldn’t we be so lucky as to have a job that we are so invested in? We are very honest about what working at Penny Arcade requires. No one here has been scammed into working as hard as they do, and the implication that we’re all blind fools with low self esteem for being here is honestly insulting. If you take a job here, you know what you’re getting into, and you’ve decided it’s worth it to you. There won’t be any taking advantage of starry-eyed young twenty-somethings. You need to have a very realistic idea of what this job requires, or you will fail. And we’re not interested in hiring anyone just to set them up for failure.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
When I die put on my tombstone "At least I worked for Penny Arcade"

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I found what *I* want for the holidays.

They just opened a brand new Sysadmin Rehab Center liquor store near me in Plano. They have my favorite Vodka (Russian Standart platinum) for ten bucks cheaper than the lovely liquor store on the lovely side of Richardson.

This post has absolutely no sysadmin or computer content in it, because i'm off until next monday. Not for lack of work trying, though. gently caress you, i'm on vacation.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

nitrogen posted:

They just opened a brand new Sysadmin Rehab Center liquor store near me in Plano. They have my favorite Vodka (Russian Standart platinum) for ten bucks cheaper than the lovely liquor store on the lovely side of Richardson.

This post has absolutely no sysadmin or computer content in it, because i'm off until next monday. Not for lack of work trying, though. gently caress you, i'm on vacation.

I go to Total Wine for all of my liquor needs. I routinely clean them out of 3.99 six packs when the seasonal beers are being switched over to the next season.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Holy poo poo the people defending that are insane.

They're Penny Arcade fans, they're either insane or awful people (both of which would defend that god-awful posting).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
How much do you guys think a job requiring that skillset is actually worth, before factoring the silly hours they apparently expect? I've seen estimates ranging from $150-200k.

Wonder what they actually plan to offer.

EDIT: Also, I guess they plan to put all that on one person with absolutely no team or backup? :laugh:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
At least Penny Arcade is honest and upfront about underpaying and overworking people. :shobon:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

guppy posted:

How much do you guys think a job requiring that skillset is actually worth, before factoring the silly hours they apparently expect? I've seen estimates ranging from $150-200k.

Wonder what they actually plan to offer.

EDIT: Also, I guess they plan to put all that on one person with absolutely no team or backup? :laugh:

Yeah, it's gonna be a shame when he snaps and leaves them 100% in the lurch. That's what usually happens when you rely on 1 person for 24/7/365 oncall support.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

Pfft, unpeated scotch.

Aberlour A'bunadh is a great scotch for 10% of that price, though I do love Balvenie double wood. I'd still rather have 30 year Oban.

IT related because any tickets that come in today will be seen next to a glass of whiskey.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That Penny Arcade job is pretty much the solo IT position at every small company with an online presence ever, so it's not really that unusual. They're just being more up-front about it instead of completely hiding it behind buzzwords. There are folks out there who do like that sort of intense work and don't mind the hours. That said, the experience they're asking for is pretty absurd; I doubt they're going to find anyone with that much experience in all those separate fields who would be willing to work four jobs for what is probably an entry-level salary. They really should be looking for another young guy without much experience who can learn quickly and doesn't mind spending a couple years being underpaid in exchange for what is probably some decent experience with various IT work, like their current admin when he started.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dennyk posted:

That Penny Arcade job is pretty much the solo IT position at every small company with an online presence ever, so it's not really that unusual. They're just being more up-front about it instead of completely hiding it behind buzzwords. There are folks out there who do like that sort of intense work and don't mind the hours. That said, the experience they're asking for is pretty absurd; I doubt they're going to find anyone with that much experience in all those separate fields who would be willing to work four jobs for what is probably an entry-level salary. They really should be looking for another young guy without much experience who can learn quickly and doesn't mind spending a couple years being underpaid in exchange for what is probably some decent experience with various IT work, like their current admin when he started.

When I was twenty years younger I loved that kind of work. Now that I'm old and fat and lazy I say no.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When I was twenty years younger I loved that kind of work. Now that I'm old and fat and lazy I say no.

I'm not even thirty and I'm a big "gently caress that" to stupid on call and work loading bs. I'm leaving my current gig in a week to make forty percent more and no on call with a narrow defined job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Electronaut posted:

I'm not even thirty and I'm a big "gently caress that" to stupid on call and work loading bs. I'm leaving my current gig in a week to make forty percent more and no on call with a narrow defined job.

Yes, this. I'm a software engineer, and pager duty is such utter bull. It's acceptable if you're young and single and hungry for the experience, but once you have a family suddenly being on the clock all day every day gets less exciting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's one of the big reasons I find it hard to ever leave my job. Sure I'm salary but I'm not on call and I can't remember the last time I've worked more than 40 hrs in a week.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I make about $3000 being on call every year, but man I hate it and it's not worth the 3am calls. I don't care if Nagios thinks it's a critical error, for the ninth loving time this month the god damned eDocs server is *supposed* to reboot at 0030, that's the only way to make the loving memory leak not suck.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

GreenNight posted:

It's one of the big reasons I find it hard to ever leave my job. Sure I'm salary but I'm not on call and I can't remember the last time I've worked more than 40 hrs in a week.

Until the last 2-3 months, it was that way with my job.

Lately, the stupidity of our corporate overlords has started to make my job more stressful than it's been in a long time. That, plus next week we move to our new building which turns my commute from a 35 min each way to nearly an hour each way.

It sucks, because I have a mostly good team (even the idiots will yield) and i don't want to think about having to YOTJ.

The reason this comes up, is, my boss has been trying to call me today to build stuff. Apparently its absolutely urgent that some whiny customer is demanding it. I'm glad that i took actual vacation, o I dont feel bad about having my phone off and listening to panicked voicemails tonight.

Building emergency poo poo on thanksgiving. I mean really?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Antioch posted:

I make about $3000 being on call every year, but man I hate it and it's not worth the 3am calls. I don't care if Nagios thinks it's a critical error, for the ninth loving time this month the god damned eDocs server is *supposed* to reboot at 0030, that's the only way to make the loving memory leak not suck.

You know that you can tell Nagios to not bother you about certain things between certain hours, right?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Why all the fuss about that job posting? They'll likely get hundreds of applicants. If you don't like a job, find something else.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Antioch posted:

Just kill the process and service and restart the service.

code:
Stop-Process -Force -processname DOCSFusion 
Stop-Service DOCSFusion
Start-Service DOCSFusion

Pilsner posted:

Why all the fuss about that job posting? They'll likely get hundreds of applicants. If you don't like a job, find something else.

Making job postings like that acceptable cheapens every other job in the industry. If someone's willing to work for ~Penny Arcade~, which provides absolutely no work-life balance, for no pay, then why isn't everyone else willing to do the same?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm guessing the environment at Penny-Arcade is a bit different from all the service companies, schools, and Tony-infested hellholes other people work at.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mattavist posted:

I'm guessing the environment at Penny-Arcade is a bit different from all the service companies, schools, and Tony-infested hellholes other people work at.

The only difference is that the senior management is younger.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mattavist posted:

It pleases me that 'Tony' has become a sort of brand name for horrible fuckin' bosses.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How do you accidentally change the *.lnk file association in Vista so that all your desktop shortcuts try to open in IE? I've fixed it, but I'm trying to figure out how the hell they did it in the first place.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Entropic posted:

How do you accidentally change the *.lnk file association in Vista so that all your desktop shortcuts try to open in IE? I've fixed it, but I'm trying to figure out how the hell they did it in the first place.

It may not be an end user thing. Ive seen malware cause it as well as a glitched IE update cause it as well.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

blackswordca posted:

It may not be an end user thing. Ive seen malware cause it as well as a glitched IE update cause it as well.

Yeah, running MBAM now. I've learned never to underestimate the bizarre things users can do by accident though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A while ago the city was doing some work near one of our schools and had to turn the power off for the entire building. It was scheduled on a day there was no school, and we had a few weeks notice, so we sent an email out stating that power would be off for the morning, etc.

One person had a question: Will the power outage affect his computer?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So.... a phone call came in.

Account lead was giving me crap for not having a ticket done. The ticket was to grant access to all users for this client to have access to the ticketing program so they could see their own tickets. ive been busy with outages and other things when I got a little snappy at him on the phone.

:aaa: Damnit blackswordca, why isn't this work done? Its not that hard, I thought you were smarter than this.
:rolleyes: Ive been busy fixing higher priority issues
:aaa: hah yeah, like what?
:argh: like the crap you and Sr Tech are constantly breaking for starters
:aaa: .... *hangup*

heh.. whoops.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

blackswordca posted:

So.... a phone call came in.

Account lead was giving me crap for not having a ticket done. The ticket was to grant access to all users for this client to have access to the ticketing program so they could see their own tickets. ive been busy with outages and other things when I got a little snappy at him on the phone.

:aaa: Damnit blackswordca, why isn't this work done? Its not that hard, I thought you were smarter than this.
:rolleyes: Ive been busy fixing higher priority issues
:aaa: hah yeah, like what?
:argh: like the crap you and Sr Tech are constantly breaking for starters
:aaa: .... *hangup*

heh.. whoops.

:toot:

Balls, you're using them.

edit: There's nothing wrong with this. If anyone gives you crap about how you talked to him, go on the offensive about how he addressed you first. Fight for your dignity, though you shouldnt have to.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 29, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

But still a bunch of raging arseholes according to some sources.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

McGlockenshire posted:

You know that you can tell Nagios to not bother you about certain things between certain hours, right?

It's not Nagios, it's the barely literate dipshit overnight 'ops' guys that cause me grief.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

computer parts posted:

And more transphobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So this happened to my coworker today while in the same room: He asks our "manager" about a pc that was ordered a few days earlier during our morning meeting by (person responsible for destination department) and the guy replies with "(person responsible for department) should have mentioned it in our morning meeting" and hangs up. Baffled, my coworker calls (prfd) back and tells him that he got no status because "manager" hung up before he even could mention the order.
So (prfd) calls "manager" and tells him how its not ok to just hang up like that. He then calls my coworker back and tells him that "manager" denies ever doing so. Another (prfd) my coworker and I sat there for a minute just staring at each other completely baffled.

Also "manager" is only supposed to be managing our inventory but because he is friends with my boss he is the one in charge of ad and other integral things. A few days ago he added the policy to stop grouping on the taskbar and pinning to it. I confronted him a few times and he admitted to it after 3, when I asked him to change it back he said it is department policy. Of our department. Lol. "Always has been". No. So I asked him to change it for us because it ruins workflow. "Thats not possible for single accounts or groups". gently caress off. This guy has no IT background and in the years hes been here he has learned almost nothing. He constantly fucks up and then sticks with it to not look dumb even tho everyone just shakes their head. But boss wont see it. Even the (prfd)s talk about it all the time, and they are basically equal with the boss.
This guy is literally the one thing dragging this department down. Delays things for months because he cant figure the simplest things out and blames it on external companies.
And hes supposed to only be managing the inventory...

• Locked thread