Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Rejected Fate posted:

Huh, seems like a lot of those Americans thought that Kazakhstan was in Europe. Maybe because they know it's ex-USSR and they just associate Russia with Europe?

A part of Kazakhstan IS in Europe, in the arbitrary geographical boundaries sense.

Somaen fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Peanut President posted:

I just noticed on that last map the guy got Luxembourg(e) correct.

A couple people got Luxembourg. One girl even got Andorra. Nobody got Liechtenstein, San Marino or the Vatican.

e: or Monaco. I knew I was forgetting one. Also, I remain amazed when people my age don't know about San Marino. These are things that Carmen Sandiego should have taught you, it's in the original game even.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 28, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Peanut President posted:

I think the last guy was probably joking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even those guys that got Andorra or Luxembourg didn't bother to label Cyprus and Moldova :eurovision:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Well, Scandinavia is basically the Dakotas of Europe. You Yanks merge your uninhabited wastelands masquerading as states, and we Europeans will do the same.

Hilariously enough, people from Scandanavia settled in the same area!

(lots of us in the Dakotas and Minnesota)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

A couple people got Luxembourg. One girl even got Andorra. Nobody got Liechtenstein, San Marino or the Vatican.

e: or Monaco. I knew I was forgetting one. Also, I remain amazed when people my age don't know about San Marino. These are things that Carmen Sandiego should have taught you, it's in the original game even.

what always bugged me about the tv series is that the one time they actually bothered to visit belgium, the only image they had was of some nondescript dude just pointing at Carmen Sandiego with his mouth ajar, nothing else

i suppose that's marginally better than some hollywood movies depicting belgium as wholly french-speaking or the netherlands as german-speaking, but still

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Plus the whole Borat thing.

Borat's "Kazakhstan" scenes were shot in a Romani (Gypsy) village in rural Romania, while Hebrew and a Slavic mishmash stood in for the language, so the confusion is understandable!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I honestly find those partially filled maps adorable. :3:

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 28, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Even those guys that got Andorra or Luxembourg didn't bother to label Cyprus and Moldova :eurovision:

Cyprus isn't Europe anyway :colbert:.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Borat's "Kazakhstan" scenes were shot in a Romani (Gypsy) village in rural Romania, while Hebrew and a Slavic mishmash stood in for the language, so the confusion is understandable!

Do you know why they didn't just go to Kazakhstan?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
The Kazakhstani government was none too pleased with the Borat character, thought it was denigrating to their national character. I imagine that that wouldn't have allowed it. But on the other hand, if not for Borat, most americans would remain ignorant that there is such a place as Kazakhstan, so maybe they did win in the end.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I feel like the Americans labeling Europe are a lot more embarrassing than the Brits labeling the US states, since those are just internal divisions and not actual countries.

On the other hand, most people probably don't play games where they stare at a map of Europe for hours and hours for fun. :v:

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Rincewind posted:

I feel like the Americans labeling Europe are a lot more embarrassing than the Brits labeling the US states, since those are just internal divisions and not actual countries.

On the other hand, most people probably don't play games where they stare at a map of Europe for hours and hours for fun. :v:

There used to be games where you'd get a blank continent and place the countries in it. It'd tell you how far off you and then make a total score at the end and I think one divide by country for per country average. Game was dope. :colbert:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Numerical Anxiety posted:

The Kazakhstani government was none too pleased with the Borat character, thought it was denigrating to their national character. I imagine that that wouldn't have allowed it. But on the other hand, if not for Borat, most americans would remain ignorant that there is such a place as Kazakhstan, so maybe they did win in the end.

I actually liked the ad campaign that they launched in response to it. :v:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

That was their initial reaction, but they've warmed up to it a lot since; it's massively increased their tourist industry, and as you said, just put them on the map in general.

Some of my extended family is Kazakh and they absolutely adore Borat. It's kinda funny.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rincewind posted:

They're just internal divisions the same size as your country.

vvv That is true; give a bunch of Europeans a map of Africa and they'd probably do worse than the US does with Europe. vvv

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 28, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Everybody everywhere is utter poo poo at geography beyond their home region (and often they're poo poo at that too).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Years of Paradox gaming have made me an exceptional expert at political geography. :smug: At least on the country level, plus the US states and Canadian provinces.

It would make my maps incredibly boring because everything would be correctly labelled. :negative:

Someone make one which tasks us to name the states and territories of India or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Here here's a better one

Yeah that went about as well as I expected. I even learned a bunch of them a few years ago and I still barely remember any. :doh:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 28, 2013

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

GreenCard78 posted:

There used to be games where you'd get a blank continent and place the countries in it. It'd tell you how far off you and then make a total score at the end and I think one divide by country for per country average. Game was dope. :colbert:

World Map is close. This one you just get points for finding the right country and you get multiple tries until time runs out.

Globetrotter XL only gives you one try and gives you points for being close, but you're trying to locate specific cities. At higher levels they replace the political map with a terrain map without borders.

Finally, Where on Earth? is basically the same as Globetrotter XL except you're locating specific buildings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Koramei posted:

Here here's a better one

Yeah that went about as well as I expected. I even learned a bunch of them a few years ago and I still barely remember any. :doh:

similarly, here's how I did with China:

(labels were off initially)

In my defense I got most of the outer/important provinces in one try and I didn't know there was a Shaanxi province and a Shanxi province.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Here's an html5 map quiz, with a choice of regions, for those on flash-less platforms:

http://www.html5games.net/puzzle/world-map-quiz/

e: drat, Africa is by far the hardest for me. I know the big ones but all the little fiddly ones are a complete mystery to me.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 28, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

It would make my maps incredibly boring because everything would be correctly labelled. :negative:

See what you do THEN is make disparaging comments about absolutely everywhere.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I thought the maps were going to be LOL DUMB AMERICANS, but they're not even that bad. They got Western Europe mostly right.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just give them a full world map, and a list of all the countries, and have them go to town. Not only can the map show where people are geographically challenged, it could also show which countries have managed to fly under the radar.

West Africa and Central America would be the most difficult regions, I bet. Actually, I'm sure one of those geography games has statistics on this.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 28, 2013

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.

Family Values posted:

Here's an html5 map quiz, with a choice of regions, for those on flash-less platforms:

http://www.html5games.net/puzzle/world-map-quiz/

e: drat, Africa is by far the hardest for me. I know the big ones but all the little fiddly ones are a complete mystery to me.

Yeah, I am horrible when it come to Africa. The rest of the world I can do okay with (even Southeast Asia and Central America [I had a roommate from Guatemala, which helped]), but beyond South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, and the Mediterranean and Red Sea coasts I'm completely clueless.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

I thought the maps were going to be LOL DUMB AMERICANS, but they're not even that bad. They got Western Europe mostly right.

I was pretty blown away that more people correctly labeled Croatia than Greece.

e: Im not so surprised at Georgia though, I wonder when these maps were made? South Ossetia was probably in the news within the last couple months, so it would be fresh. Whats up with everyone knowing where Croatia is though? Seems random.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Yeah, I am horrible when it come to Africa. The rest of the world I can do okay with (even Southeast Asia and Central America [I had a roommate from Guatemala, which helped]), but beyond South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, and the Mediterranean and Red Sea coasts I'm completely clueless.

My first try :smug:

This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I had to take a quiz exactly like this earlier this semester for a class I'm taking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.
Having actually tried the HTML5 link above, I find that while am about as bad at Africa as I'd thought, even that was pretty good compared to the Caribbean and Pacific islands. I couldn't even be bothered to finish those because I'd barely even heard of most of them.

My scores:

Golden_Zucchini fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Sadly I'm willing to bet a decent amount of Americans wouldn't do much better than this.

Also, I'm disappointed that nobody pointed out that Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana together looks like a fat chef wearing cowboy boots.

Tennessee is his penis! :pseudo:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Having actually tried the HTML5 link above, I find that while am about as bad at Africa as I'd thought, even that was pretty good compared to the Caribbean and Pacific islands. I couldn't even be bothered to finish those because I'd barely even heard of most of them.
All those tiny island really suck, since they're so small, and it's impossible to see which ones belong together. At least Africa is full of states with a variety of shapes and sizes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

All those tiny island really suck, since they're so small, and it's impossible to see which ones belong together. At least Africa is full of states with a variety of shapes and sizes.
I had to give the computer screen a good wipe to avoid confusing islands with smudges.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PrinceRandom posted:

I think the last guy was probably joking.
I'm pretty sure most of those are people trying to be funny, whether they actually know the geography or not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meme Emulator posted:

I was pretty blown away that more people correctly labeled Croatia than Greece.

e: Im not so surprised at Georgia though, I wonder when these maps were made? South Ossetia was probably in the news within the last couple months, so it would be fresh. Whats up with everyone knowing where Croatia is though? Seems random.

Croatia looks like a C, so it's easy to identify.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Netherlands doesn't look like that :psyduck: Not really fair to ask people to identify countries on a map that gets the shape of countries wrong.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Globetrotter XL only gives you one try and gives you points for being close, but you're trying to locate specific cities. At higher levels they replace the political map with a terrain map without borders.

It gets harder when they remove the borders indeed, plus you need a reasonably accurate mouse.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ekuNNN posted:

The Netherlands doesn't look like that :psyduck: Not really fair to ask people to identify countries on a map that gets the shape of countries wrong.

Belgium looks odd as well.

I'm not even going to touch the subject of Austria.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

ekuNNN posted:

I'm completly fine with that, in this picture you got Emden :smug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Belgium looks odd as well.

I'm not even going to touch the subject of Austria.

It looks like they got back South Tyrol but then redrew the border northward instead of southward.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Finally, we can put the age-old question to rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's less people in North-America and Europe than I thought.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 1, 2013