Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Factor_VIII posted:

Do all of those stack?

Throw in Mirror Image, Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Weapons for added frustration to your enemy. I wonder if attacks negated from Protection from Magical Weapons count against Stoneskin.

Yep, it's fun when you get that helm that gives 40% resistance to blunt damage along with hardiness as a barbarian. Pop a protection from fire on em and Fire Giants can't hurt you. :3

And no, they don't destroy a skin if you're hit with a weapon that can't harm you because of enchantment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Since there seemed to be some interest (and some people started trying already) I went ahead and threw up the thread for it. The Ironman challenge thread can be found over in Let's Play.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Factor_VIII posted:

Do all of those stack?

Throw in Mirror Image, Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Weapons for added frustration to your enemy. I wonder if attacks negated from Protection from Magical Weapons count against Stoneskin.
Yeah it's really one of the only ways some of the physical classes can even stay alive in ToB at times.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Are there any mods with thief scripts that will enable you to backstab with micromanaging it?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Note to self: That fighter/mage/hobgoblin archer trio southwest of Beregost can very easily end an Ironman run. Particularly the archer with his poison arrows. Argh.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

If we're being honest then by the time you hit Throne of Bhaal AC will have ceased being any sort of factor as a stat. When Yaga Shura swings he's going to hit you whether you're buck-rear end naked or buffed to the gills. At that point things that grant physical resistance become even more valuable, which is why Armor of Faith and the -skin spells are so essential.

Go look up the thac0 values for ToB baddies in NearInfinity. You can (and I have in a SCSII game) AC tank most of them fairly safely with only a couple major exceptions, Abazigal and Anadramatis most notably. The main problem is that even though 75-95% of their attacks miss, the ones that do hit are painful. With -24 AC, running Hardiness or roughly similar DR from gear will let you take hits with only occasional healing needed. The last run I had was a 3-duder with a ranger/cleric face-tanking practically everything, and this was with ItemRevisions which nerfs many damage reduction items.

Abazigal though, especially Improved Abazigal, will gently caress you up unless you have 75%+ DR.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 28, 2013

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

DeathChicken posted:

Note to self: That fighter/mage/hobgoblin archer trio southwest of Beregost can very easily end an Ironman run. Particularly the archer with his poison arrows. Argh.

They're vulnerable to Sleep, aren't they?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The archer is. The mage is not. I found this out the hard way when everyone was Horrored and Neera was losing her mighty 6 HP to poison.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Corvinus posted:

Go look up the thac0 values for ToB baddies in NearInfinity. You can (and I have in a SCSII game) AC tank most of them fairly safely with only a couple major exceptions, Abazigal and Anadramatis most notably. The main problem is that even though 75-95% of their attacks miss, the ones that do hit are painful. With -24 AC, running Hardiness or roughly similar DR from gear will let you take hits with only occasional healing needed. The last run I had was a 3-duder with a ranger/cleric face-tanking practically everything, and this was with ItemRevisions which nerfs many damage reduction items.

Abazigal though, especially Improved Abazigal, will gently caress you up unless you have 75%+ DR.

Yeah, i was going to post this. Though often repeated, the 'AC is worthless for TOB' isn't actually true, it's just you can't passively rely on it anymore - you need to actually make an effort to stack buffs/specific equipment. What are usually overlooked are the attack roll modifiers that don't show on the character sheet. For example, it's very easy to have a Tank Char with -15AC, but when you factor in Prot from evil (-2) Improv invis (-4) Full plate (-4) Belt (-3) that's now -28 against slashing. It's actually quite easy to get below -30. On the few occasions you fight some high-thac0 boss (almost every boss has between 0 and -15 Thac0, Abazigal is the big exception) you can also lower their thac0 to compound the effect, such as with Called shot, a spell (Doom with no save, Nature's beauty with no save) or someone who can wield a two handed sword.

Of course, it isn't actually necessary due to how effective stacking damage resistance/combat protection spells are.

Somnolent49
Jul 5, 2006

"The woman is all we want! The others must die! They ALL must die! We do not even want the woman!"

Factor_VIII posted:

That's what I did for all of BG1 and most of chapters 1 and 2 of BG2. Be sure to use Draw Upon Holy Might while you still have it as a Bhaalspawn ability. My character has 20 cleric levels and can get 25 across all physical stats (which have a base of 19) thanks to it.

Aerie can serve as a cleric as well if you dislike Anomen.

Clerics also get access to Righteous Magic, which also buffs strength and also maximizes all of your attack damage rolls.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What am I supposed to do with the mechanical bird I got during Neera's quest?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm assuming that it's something that you hold onto until ToB, to be quite honest. It helps if you've got Hexxat in your party and can stuff it into the free bag of holding she starts out with.

Reminds me of the summer I actually tried my hand at modding, got a good ways into a monk CNPC (pureclass monks are pretty terrible without proper and expensive kit, as it turns out) until I ran into a scripting wall, solicited help from a mod community and ended up getting assists from some prominent modder dude who might have been the Saerelith creator? Anyway, he told me about the mod he was working on that would have the CNPC give the PC an item that they would have to carry in a quick item slot through SoA and ToB, and dropping it would cause the CNPC to die permanently. Also if you didn't say the right things through the game she would turn into a Solar at the end of ToB and kill the whole party. I kind of figured modding was for the birds at that point.

It's also possible that the quest is bugged, but it seems like the point at which you get the bird is a pretty final end to that questline in SoA, at least. Hexxat's quest has apparently bugged for me at the very end of it - the messenger spawned as my party was transitioning from one area to another, so I got her dialogue but she just stood there forever and my journal never updated. Then in the Underdark I freed some slaves and got a reputation boost, and instead of Hexxat telling me she wasn't down with being a hero she started a conversation as though her quest had just ended, and rejoined the party. Which I guess is nice because it would have sucked for her to have ditched me at that point.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I've decided to start fresh and go at Baldur's Gate with no mods. I've never made it very far into either game but I was also a lot younger when I tried. However, it would help me a great deal for some basic direction otherwise I'll spend all the time second-guessing myself, thinking I could've made better choices, going down the slippery scope of savegame editing, and eventually turning my back on the twisted mess I create.

For your thoughts on the overall BEST Baldur's Gate experience:

1. Should I skip BG1?
2. What class should I roll? (preferably not a dual-class)
3. What weapon proficiencies should I take in what amount?
4. Which party members should I take?

I know it's subjective, but I'll probably have fun with your idea of fun anyway. Thanks.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Can your alignment actually change in bg1/2? I don't remember. I remember having a game of NWN2 where I was a chaotic good warlock, and then I made too many lawful decisions and wasn't allowed to level up anymore.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

LibbyM posted:

Can your alignment actually change in bg1/2? I don't remember. I remember having a game of NWN2 where I was a chaotic good warlock, and then I made too many lawful decisions and wasn't allowed to level up anymore.

No, your alignment is static in BG1/2.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more

Tenacious J posted:

1. Should I skip BG1?

Somebody in another thread said that people new to the games should play BG2 first and then BG1 after and treat it sort of like a prequel and as much as I really like 1 it's hard to disagree with that.
BG1 is ball crushingly unfair, it's so bad it has to be intentional and not just low level problems. Things like Tarnesh mirror image + horror at the entrance to an inn the game has explicitly told you to go, getting ambushed constantly even in your starting home area, the nashkel mines which you are prodded toward fairly early and they're filled with packs of kobold archers and traps in very tight corridors where it's impossible to maintain a formation and everybody is squishy as gently caress anyway.
Rezzing is hella expensive and party members will die constantly, wilderness areas not far off the beaten path can have packs of monsters that turn you to stone instantly, you can even get randomly struck by lightning for good damage by just standing around minding your own business outside while it's stormy.

If that sounds like fun definitely jump in but there should be no doubt this game hates you as do most of your party members who when you select them will constantly sass/insult and just generally put you on blast.

I personally love BG1 but no doubt BG2 is a lot better.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Baldur's Gate 1 get's really fun at like, level 3 or something. The first couple levels really suck. Baldur's gate 2 is fun from the outset though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Tenacious J posted:

I've decided to start fresh and go at Baldur's Gate with no mods. I've never made it very far into either game but I was also a lot younger when I tried. However, it would help me a great deal for some basic direction otherwise I'll spend all the time second-guessing myself, thinking I could've made better choices, going down the slippery scope of savegame editing, and eventually turning my back on the twisted mess I create.

For your thoughts on the overall BEST Baldur's Gate experience:

1. Should I skip BG1?
2. What class should I roll? (preferably not a dual-class)
3. What weapon proficiencies should I take in what amount?
4. Which party members should I take?

I know it's subjective, but I'll probably have fun with your idea of fun anyway. Thanks.

Subjective indeed, but these are some guidelines I work with personally:

1. Depends a lot on which version of the game you are talking about. The original is pretty dated at this stage, while Enhanced Edition gives it a nice update for little work. Modding savvy people can mod the original to more modern standards, but right now EE offers more or less the same for less effort.

As a game, Baldur's Gate 1 might feel a bit boring for some people. It has a lot slower, low key plot and less fantastical elements, just because it's low level D&D vs BG2's is high level. Since you're lower level, you also have somewhat less character options, gear is fairly basic, etc. But it is still a rather good RPG. Tons to explore, great characters and good writing all around. I would at the very least start with it, and try to push past the early game.

2. Very subjective, but I think that if you're going for BG2, you'll want to be a spellcaster of some sort. Doesn't really matter if divine or arcane, I just want it so that I'll have more tactical options available on my own character. Likewise I like to keep melee as an option, so I almost always play melee/spellcaster mixes.

3. Almost all types have something reasonable to offer in both games. Others just have easier, earlier and more widespread access to good weapons. If you want to go spoilerless, I wouldn't terribly worry in BG1. I'd just focus on picking more generic weapons (Longswords, greatswords, etc.) and avoiding too much party member overlap in profiencies. Keep it diverse. Also for BG 1, try to get everyone a ranged weapon of some sort. Even if they don't have the profiency yet. You do -not- want a 4hp Xzar trying to shank an Ogre with a dagger. Unless you hate Xzar. Then just go ahead.

For BG2 it's mostly the same, but ranged gear is far less important. BG2 also supplies nearly every type of weapon with good endgame gear, and by that point you can diversify profiencies a lot too.

4. I recommend mixed-alignment parties where everyone hates each other. The party interactions get so good, at leas up until they start murdering each other. :allears:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm assuming that it's something that you hold onto until ToB, to be quite honest.
It didn't come into play in Neera's ToB quest. I think it's an element of her romance.

General Emergency posted:

In BG2, if you do or say evil things while in Hell, you will become evil.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

LibbyM posted:

General Emergency posted:

This is incorrect - you can change alignment at the end of SoA (only to Evil though) I don't think that your alignment changes if you become a Fallen Paladin/Ranger but I'm not certain.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Going back to 2h sword talk, but the evil +4 "Soul Reaver" you receive from the Demogorgon altar in the Underdark is pretty ridiculous. 2 point thac0 penalty for 2 turns, each hit stacks. Carsomyr has an edge in that it's stacked against the real threats (ie mages) but against melee opponents it's hard to beat.

Also I appreciate that in Neera's romance she's just all "whatever" w/r/t the drow woman. They could have gone with melodrama there but it's nice that they kept with the character. The writing for the new CNPCs are solid all around, IMO. Certainly a cut above whatever passes for a good mod these days (there are no good CNPC mods)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I second everyone who says that Baldur's Gate 1 is actually horrible. There is a massive leap in quality with BG2.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am a strange duck who can't enjoy BG2 because I can't seem to really figure my way around it and I die too often.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
These old games have steep learning curves.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's been said endlessly, but BG2 is less a refinement of BG1 than a deviation. BG1 recreates low-key / low-stakes tabletop campaigns, but BG2 was the point at which Bioware announced its intent to make story-heavy CRPGs with defined personalities.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

This "learning curve" for me is usually ends with reducing the diffuclty for a single combat and then set it back.

Surprisingly, I only do this in Bioware games.

E:
Oh and I have one suggestion: Don't play vanilla BG1! Just don't! The engine itself is pretty horrible with awful pathfinding, AI and enemy spawns if the fog of war cowers a single trigger pixel (I really want to know if they fixed this in patches or EE).
Get Tutu or other mod that make you play BG1 on BG2 engine or get Enhanced edition.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 28, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's been said endlessly, but BG2 is less a refinement of BG1 than a deviation. BG1 recreates low-key / low-stakes tabletop campaigns, but BG2 was the point at which Bioware announced its intent to make story-heavy CRPGs with defined personalities.

The whole Bhaalspawn thing could have been completely removed from BG1 and it's still the same story. On the other hang BG2 starts the trend of 'the protagonist is the god of the setting' literally.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the original build of BG1, all the NPC characters are hunched over. What's with that?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You can faceroll pretty much everything in BG1... if you actually know what you're doing, and are willing to go out of your way to play in a way that makes the game easier.

Always equip everyone with ranged weapons that they can actually use, learn to scout (if you see an enemy, use the auto-pause to stop everyone and pull them back, then bait them one-by-one) and contact with your best-armoured dude and then kite enemies, find those hidden items, provoke the Flaming Fist patrol north of Nashkel and steal their three sets of plate armour and abuse Sleep/Web on your arcane casters. The first third of the game (where you're most vulnerable) becomes a game of walking around in tight formation and just unleashing a barrage of arrows and sling bullets on anything that shows up.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 28, 2013

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Baldur's Gate 1 is more about playing smart by necessity than in BG2 where you are powerrful enough to do whatever most of the time. As a level 1 scrub wizard I could cast one spell a day then I'd be done, unless I wanted to get some extreme rock throwing action going on with monsters that could easily kill me in one hit. I ran into a dude who told me there was an ogre walking around the area, which can hit me so hard that I'd explode into tiny pieces. I memorized the Sleep spell and went exploring, when I found the Ogre I cast my one spell and he had a nice nap. Then I threw rocks at him until he died, looted his corpse and equipped a magical belt which changed me into a lady.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Pwnstar posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is more about playing smart by necessity than in BG2 where you are powerrful enough to do whatever most of the time. As a level 1 scrub wizard I could cast one spell a day then I'd be done, unless I wanted to get some extreme rock throwing action going on with monsters that could easily kill me in one hit. I ran into a dude who told me there was an ogre walking around the area, which can hit me so hard that I'd explode into tiny pieces. I memorized the Sleep spell and went exploring, when I found the Ogre I cast my one spell and he had a nice nap. Then I threw rocks at him until he died, looted his corpse and equipped a magical belt which changed me into a lady.

I don't know what kind of a lovely wizard you're playing, but my level 1 wizards roll around zapping ogres with lightning bolts, throw fireballs with the flick of their wrist and are armed with deadly poison darts, not stupid rocks. :colbert:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yeah well, my dad could beat up your dad!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Pwnstar posted:

baldursgate.txt right here.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My 2nd ed group was always disproportionately proud of this, but to be fair we were pretty literally ahead of our time. If you want to make 1st-level D&D less horrid, just take a clue from 4th edition and give each character at level 1 one hit die roll plus their con score, then carry on from there. It doesn't horribly unbalance the game late, doesn't totally ruin tension, but it makes it so that your formerly 6 HP mage won't die from a stray air molecule. We did that before 3rd edition even came out (when a level 1 mage was lucky to have 10 con even) and we never regretted it.

Barring that, just start at second level. 12 HP on a mage is miles ahead of 6.

Edit: In summary, 2nd edition D&D is bollocks and you should never feel bad about making it less so.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Also remember to cheat stats to 18, grab the wizard ring that doubles all first level spells, export your character, grab it again for nice stacking action, and make sure you grab as many wands of monster summoning you can and just spam the gently caress out of it and then you never have to actually play the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I played through Baldur's Gate 1 with the Big World Project Tactics mod, something I can't necessarily recommend in the future. It was probably one of the hardest games I've ever played. The interesting part about it is that if you screw up at certain points, you can make the game unwinnable. For example, there's no way I could have ever beat the final boss of BG1 if I didn't hoard every arrow of dispel that I had found up to that point, which was like 4 or 5. In the end I was unable to beat Durlag's Tower, there's a puzzle that spawns like 3 super-dudes or something like that, and they just wiped the floor with me.

I really enjoy the tactics mod. Big World, not so much. It made a lot of changes to fundamental mechanics, changed a lot of the spells around and what they did. It was like a new game! A new, janky rear end game

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Baron Bifford posted:

It didn't come into play in Neera's ToB quest. I think it's an element of her romance.

Late in ToB there's a dude who will pay you 100k gold it. If you refuse you get 100k XP.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

MegaGatts posted:

Late in ToB there's a dude who will pay you 100k gold it. If you refuse you get 100k XP.
Good to know that my packrat tendencies will be rewarded in the end. Does Neera need to be with you for that to happen?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Just started BG again about 4 days ago (just before this ironman thing, I guess I could technically enter my character since they haven't died yet, but eh). Forgot about BG1's tendency to respawn mobs unless you leave people in the fog of war.

I sure enjoyed the Gnoll Fortress' mix of egregiously crap foes that are barely worth an arrow. Time to experience it again on the way out for upwards of a turn and a half per screen, because the game wants you to stamp on half a dozen Gnolls and Xvarts over and over and over and over :v:

(if Xan wasn't grating to be around, I'd have kept him along, which I'm thinking of doing anyway because Minsc Was Never Funny and I left him somewhere safe)

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

jBrereton posted:

(if Xan wasn't grating to be around, I'd have kept him along, which I'm thinking of doing anyway because Minsc Was Never Funny and I left him somewhere safe)
Xan can't cast Evocation spells though. Which mean no Chromatic Orb, Web or Fireball.