Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

I've been offered a job at HESS (:toot:) and they're asking where I'd like to work. I should think I've got a pretty high chance of ending up in Taipei anyway, but does anyone know if there are any particular good or branches to request (or bad branches to avoid)? I'm not thinking about the location so much as the school itself. Thanks!

I can't help you with what branches to avoid, but if you go to Taipei ask that you get a branch near the MRT. Otherwise you might end up a bit in the boonies. Any of the other major cities try to get into a branch downtown for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
There'll be a couple of spots open in Yonghe in a couple of months, they might actually try to send you there. Do not recommend, but you may not have a choice.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Stupid celebrity chat. Wang Lee Hon is engaged! Maybe it's all a sham? People still think he's pretty :gay:

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20131127/301035.htm?from=fb_et_news

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I rode the MRT yesterday. I took the new line from the 101 station to Zhongshan Elementary School station. The line change was lovely and involved like five escalators. And that old line I took to Zhongshan was like a Disney World monorail.

I was also surprised that they give station announcements in four languages. Mandarin and English, of course. I assume the other two are Hakka and Hokkien?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bloodnose posted:

I rode the MRT yesterday. I took the new line from the 101 station to Zhongshan Elementary School station. The line change was lovely and involved like five escalators. And that old line I took to Zhongshan was like a Disney World monorail.

I was also surprised that they give station announcements in four languages. Mandarin and English, of course. I assume the other two are Hakka and Hokkien?

The brown line is a 'medium density' one, and is pretty crappy. Also, there's only like two good things on the brown line, Mao Kong and the zoo, and it's not like you go to either of them often.

I live right next to the CKS MRT station, which is now one of the most convenient spots. On the red line, on the new line that connects to the orange and brown lines, and then the quick zip to Ximen which is on the blue line. Too bad I'm leaving Taiwan forever next week.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bloodnose posted:

Edit: Hurf durf. Hokkien = Taiwanese.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 27, 2013

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ravendas posted:

The brown line is a 'medium density' one, and is pretty crappy. Also, there's only like two good things on the brown line, Mao Kong and the zoo, and it's not like you go to either of them often.

If he was on the brown line, it was probably zhongshan high school. Elementary school is on the orange line to Luzhou and Parts of Little Interest Beyond.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I just checked it, it was "Zhongshan Junior High School." My mistake.

But really that Daan interchange is poo poo. Don't take it. I took a taxi back home instead.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Stupid celebrity chat. Wang Lee Hon is engaged! Maybe it's all a sham? People still think he's pretty :gay:

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20131127/301035.htm?from=fb_et_news
Tom Cruise has been married twice. Still totally gay.

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah, the Brown line is I think the first one that opened - at least the Zhongshan Jr. High<>Taipei Zoo section - and is a piece of poo poo because it's probably the lowest traffic one. The change to the Blue line had to be built around that. Taipei's MRT is a lego monstrosity in a lot of ways.

And if you went all the way to Zhongshan Elementary station, why? I live over that way and don't even bother with that station.

quote:

Yep, Mandarin, English, Hakka, and Hokkien. If you get onto the east coast, apparently there are train stations that also do their announcements in whatever the predominant Aboriginal language in the area is too.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

And if you went all the way to Zhongshan Elementary station, why? I live over that way and don't even bother with that station.

I didn't. It was Junior High. I forgot that every fuckin thing on this island is named either Zhongshan or Zhongzheng.

I also keep ending up in that part of town where everything is named after the Three Principles of the People.

My trip time is quickly running out but if I ever find I free moment, I'm going to some KMT pilgrimage sites. Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall goon meet, anyone?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
CKS Hall is kind of a drag, there's literally nothing there but the Abe Lincoln style statue and Chinese-only inscriptions of some poo poo he said. (yes I know we all can read Chinese, but I was with a buddy who couldn't at the time) I got all excited for KMT propaganda too, what a letdown.

e, Bit of a misuse of the word "literally" since there is also the Theatre/Concert Hall

SYS Memorial Hall is somewhat better and there's the new Cultural Area or whatever it's called within walking distance too.

TetsuoTW posted:

If you get onto the east coast, apparently there are train stations that also do their announcements in whatever the predominant Aboriginal language in the area is too.

That is boss

While we're on the topic of the railways of Taiwan, does anybody else feel like Taipei Main Station is the most poorly designed central station of its kinda they've ever been to? The signage is ambiguous as hell (signs leading to "高鐵 HSR" neglect to mention that there are 2 HSR platforms for example), lots of areas don't have "your current location" signs, hard to find staff to direct you around, and even if you can find the 大廳 there's only about 1 row of seats to sit on while you wait for your friends. Not to mention to get to the bus terminal or anything it's a ridiculous hike either through the maze that is the underground mall OR risk walking around above ground where there are almost no crosswalks or skybridges. Taipei Main really bothers me somehow.

caberham posted:

Wang Lee Hon is engaged!

TOLD YOU SO.

hitension fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 27, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

While we're on the topic of the railways of Taiwan, does anybody else feel like Taipei Main Station is the most poorly designed central station of its kinda they've ever been to? The signage is ambiguous as hell (signs leading to "高鐵 HSR" neglect to mention that there are 2 HSR platforms for example), lots of areas don't have "your current location" signs, hard to find staff to direct you around, and even if you can find the 大廳 there's only about 1 row of seats to sit on while you wait for your friends. Not to mention to get to the bus terminal or anything it's a ridiculous hike either through the maze that is the underground mall OR risk walking around above ground where there are almost no crosswalks or skybridges. Taipei Main really bothers me somehow.
A lot of that I think is due to how Taiwan tends to deal with expansion/growth: by simply building on top of the old stuff, and then upgrading or improving the existing bits way later.

Also, you clearly haven't been to Japan and experienced their station mazes yet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I did Kyoto for four days and their rail system was the most baffling I have ever seen.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

duckfarts posted:

Also, you clearly haven't been to Japan and experienced their station mazes yet.

I actually went to Tokyo for 2 weeks and didn't get lost at all my entire time there... Knowing Chinese characters/very basic conversational Japanese definitely helped, but when I wrote that post, I was actually thinking of Tokyo/Shanghai/New York as counterpoints for "well organized stations" :shobon:

kenner116
May 15, 2009

hitension posted:

I was actually thinking of Tokyo/Shanghai/New York as counterpoints for "well organized stations" :shobon:

New York has confusing signage so half the time I end up taking the train in the wrong direction. Or a line is closed and I have to take a long detour.

Rode the new Xinyi line for the first time today, really convenient 15 minute bus ride from me (政大) and beats going to Taipei Zoo then walking for minutes around Zhongxiao Fuxing to transfer lines. Only 12 NTD from Xiangshan to Jiantan! Hiked up Yangmingshan today, really nice trail.

Bloodnose posted:

My trip time is quickly running out but if I ever find I free moment, I'm going to some KMT pilgrimage sites. Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall goon meet, anyone?

Sure, name a time.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yesterday I snuck the phrase "Red China" into the newspaper and today their aircraft carrier is coming at us. COINCIDENCE?!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Eagerly awaiting the meltdown when Moon Slayer's employer finds his(her) posting here and fires him(her)

Super old news now, but was this ever discussed on here? American woman gets a pretty decent job making those news parody cartoons, ends up working Taiwanese hours, and quits in elaborate fashion:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/29/quit-your-job-kayne-dance_n_4013902.html

NMA responded in kind:
http://gawker.com/next-media-animation-responds-to-the-quit-heard-round-1434926654

I dunno what to make of the whole thing. I think Taiwan is pretty sweet and I can't imagine being this pissed off at life here but then again the work hours are quite long. I'm also baffled at these people who come to Asia without any planning, language skills or awareness of what things will be like. I'm continuing my studies but I was offered a job here too and my potential employer was straight up like "the salaries are not the same as American salaries and Taiwanese people work like dogs", was she not given that sort of warning?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

I actually went to Tokyo for 2 weeks and didn't get lost at all my entire time there... Knowing Chinese characters/very basic conversational Japanese definitely helped, but when I wrote that post, I was actually thinking of Tokyo/Shanghai/New York as counterpoints for "well organized stations" :shobon:
I was in Osaka and missed the van for the airport, so I went to the train/subway station and they said to just follow the signs for the airport train. Over ten minutes of nothing but running with luggage later with no wrong turns and following the signs, we finally get to the train.

hitension posted:

Super old news now, but was this ever discussed on here?
Yup!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

hitension posted:

Eagerly awaiting the meltdown when Moon Slayer's employer finds his(her) posting here and fires him(her)

Super old news now, but was this ever discussed on here? American woman gets a pretty decent job making those news parody cartoons, ends up working Taiwanese hours, and quits in elaborate fashion:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/29/quit-your-job-kayne-dance_n_4013902.html

NMA responded in kind:
http://gawker.com/next-media-animation-responds-to-the-quit-heard-round-1434926654

I dunno what to make of the whole thing. I think Taiwan is pretty sweet and I can't imagine being this pissed off at life here but then again the work hours are quite long. I'm also baffled at these people who come to Asia without any planning, language skills or awareness of what things will be like. I'm continuing my studies but I was offered a job here too and my potential employer was straight up like "the salaries are not the same as American salaries and Taiwanese people work like dogs", was she not given that sort of warning?

I think there is a few problems going on here:

1) Taiwanese (and really most East Asian people) have spent their whole lives living with the expectation that your a slave to the school system for the first part of your life then a slave to your job for the rest of it. Working anything less than 60+ hours 6-7 days a week means you either make jack poo poo for money, or your one of the slave drivers in upper management. This mentality is so ingrained in the culture they have difficulty seeing things any other way.

2) Keeping that in mind during the interview they probably mentioned long hours (60+ in their minds, 40-50 in hers) and the need to sometimes work weekends (which in Taiwan might as well mean ALL weekends).

3) The language gap. It's likely her Chinese wasn't great, and sometimes it's difficult to express your feelings to co-workers or managers.

4) It's pretty obvious to anyone with knowledge of working conditions in Taiwan that the NMA writer is talking out of her rear end. Yeah, I'm sure the job is technically 40 hours/5 days a week with no expectation of having to do overtime, but if you want to keep it your rear end in that office for much longer.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The pay/hours/conditions in a lot of Taiwanese workplaces are objectively lovely, and expecting someone to just understand and meekly accept that coming in is a good way to ensure that nothing ever changes.

hitension posted:

lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I still don't understand how a man can be in the beer business and not drink beer.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

1) Taiwanese (and really most East Asian people) have spent their whole lives living with the expectation that your a slave to the school system for the first part of your life then a slave to your job for the rest of it. Working anything less than 60+ hours 6-7 days a week means you either make jack poo poo for money, or your one of the slave drivers in upper management. This mentality is so ingrained in the culture they have difficulty seeing things any other way.
There is a reason that at least one of the more commonly used terms for "weekend" literally is "holiday".

hitension posted:

I'm also baffled at these people who come to Asia without any planning, language skills or awareness of what things will be like.
Yeah, gently caress people with a sense of adventure.

Also that guy from NMA is throwing hella shade and shilling like a pro.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 28, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have a pretty good sense of adventure, but I also don't pick places out at random and go there knowing literally nothing before I show up. This isn't exactly the year 1500. These places have been visited before and the people you are going to work for are going to expect you to be at least casually familiar with the culture you're subjecting yourself.

I mean, I went to both Korea and Taiwan without knowing jack about the languages, but I was also fully prepared to accept the consequences of that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm just saying, I've met people who showed up here on a total whim knowing nothing of the culture, language, or country who've become knowledgeable, upstanding members of Taiwanese society, and I've met people who showed up knowing some Mandarin and knowing about Chinese culture who turned out to be loving worthless. It's not about what you know before you arrive, it's about what you're willing to learn afterward.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I actually agree with both of the above posters. I still feel like "working hours in Taiwan are long" is something that can be discovered before going to Taiwan. It's like being surprised that there are scooters or stinky tofu in Taiwan.

For a fun story about poor research/planning: The other day I met a girl from Hong Kong who was at a Chinese language center in Taipei despite speaking fluent Mandarin because she needed a visa. What happened is that she initially came to Taiwan in September for university and somehow ended up at a university in Miaoli(聯大). On the first day of registration she decided that (1) She did not like her university; and (2) She did not like Miaoli and actually wanted to live in Taipei; so, she dropped out.

:psyduck: She had so many opportunities to obtain information earlier... She's from Hong Kong! She speaks and reads Chinese! They have the internet in Hong Kong, right?!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm just saying, I've met people who showed up here on a total whim knowing nothing of the culture, language, or country who've become knowledgeable, upstanding members of Taiwanese society, and I've met people who showed up knowing some Mandarin and knowing about Chinese culture who turned out to be loving worthless. It's not about what you know before you arrive, it's about what you're willing to learn afterward.

I don't disagree with this and I do think that hearing about the long working hours and then seeing them for yourself are two different things. However, it's still on you if you can't handle it. Yes, you can try and work from within the system to bring about change, but you shouldn't be a drama whore about it because your big bad Taiwanese boss expects you to do what he's been expecting Taiwanese workers to do for years.

I mean, you can go all "sense of adventure" if you want, but if you come here knowing nothing and discover you don't like it, that's just something you have to accept.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 28, 2013

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

hitension posted:

I actually agree with both of the above posters. I still feel like "working hours in Taiwan are long" is something that can be discovered before going to Taiwan. It's like being surprised that there are scooters or stinky tofu in Taiwan.

The girl might have also assumed she would be given the same special privileges ex-pats in Taiwan working for foreign companies do. Most of the non-teacher ex-pats I met in Taiwan worked the same hours they would in their home countries, and searching on the internet might reflect that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

The girl might have also assumed she would be given the same special privileges ex-pats in Taiwan working for foreign companies do. Most of the non-teacher ex-pats I met in Taiwan worked the same hours they would in their home countries, and searching on the internet might reflect that.

Yeah, this is a really important distinction that I think fails to get brought up a lot. Being brought to Taiwan and working for a foreign company is very different than being recruited by a Taiwanese company locally or from abroad and coming to work in the trenches with locals under local conditions.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't disagree with this and I do think that hearing about the long working hours and then seeing them for yourself are two different things. However, it's still on you if you can't handle it. Yes, you can try and work from within the system to bring about change, but you shouldn't be a drama whore about it because your big bad Taiwanese boss expects you to do what he's been expecting Taiwanese workers to do for years.
True, but then again if no-one kicks up a poo poo then nothing ever gets changed. And in a country where so many bosses only care about money and face, sometimes a public shaming is the only way to get them to pay attention.

quote:

I mean, you can go all "sense of adventure" if you want, but if you come here knowing nothing and discover you don't like it, that's just something you have to accept.
This 100% forever though, and I can fully respect people who come over, give it a try, find out living overseas/living here isn't their thing and just pack up and move on.

hitension posted:

Guilty. But then again, I moved here before YouTube existed, so I guess there was less chance of seeing videos of the place.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

True, but then again if no-one kicks up a poo poo then nothing ever gets changed. And in a country where so many bosses only care about money and face, sometimes a public shaming is the only way to get them to pay attention.

I think it's all in the approach. You can make a dramatic youtube video about how awful and terrible those Taiwanese people were to you and how no one should go work for that company in particular, but that isn't going to cause a change in the corporate culture across the country. Likely the company in question will just avoid hiring foreigners from then on.

It's not really going to be enough to organize foreigners to stop accepting those conditions. Change is going to need to come from within.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

Change is going to need to come from within.

</hotdog vendor joke>

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still don't understand how a man can be in the beer business and not drink beer.

Don't get high off your own supply.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Come to think of it I might be being unfair in my expectations of Taiwan-related knowledge. I also interned for the US office of a Taiwanese company before coming here so I was bombarded with random Taiwan information and pineapple cakes before I even arrived, which I guess is kinda unfair... I also worked really long hours, like until 8 or 9 PM, but the time spent from 2pm-9pm was usually dicking around waiting for some e-mail to arrive from the Taipei office at 9:02 pm... I can imagine it'd be horrible if people were actually working during all those long hours

Also gently caress anyone who literally thinks they deserve special privileges just for being white, I think the internet even invented a term for that.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

I can't help you with what branches to avoid, but if you go to Taipei ask that you get a branch near the MRT. Otherwise you might end up a bit in the boonies. Any of the other major cities try to get into a branch downtown for the same reason.

quadrophrenic posted:

There'll be a couple of spots open in Yonghe in a couple of months, they might actually try to send you there. Do not recommend, but you may not have a choice.

Thanks, I'll remember these.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Don't get high off your own supply.

I opened a tab quoting his post with the intention of posting this.

Although I was going to type 'on' instead of 'off.' I forget the original quote.

I am the guy who is here for beer and doesn't drink beer by the way.

There was an impromptu goon meet tonight with free beer. Only kenner showed up. He drank all the beer. This was my trip report.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Bloodnose posted:

I opened a tab quoting his post with the intention of posting this.

Although I was going to type 'on' instead of 'off.' I forget the original quote.

I am the guy who is here for beer and doesn't drink beer by the way.

There was an impromptu goon meet tonight with free beer. Only kenner showed up. He drank all the beer. This was my trip report.

I was teaching at Tai Da tonight when I got the Line or I would have been down.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

hitension posted:

Also gently caress anyone who literally thinks they deserve special privileges just for being white, I think the internet even invented a term for that.

Well, it's not necessarily a "because your white" thing (though in some cases that does apply). A lot of Taiwanese businesses realize that working conditions in Western countries are much less like gulags than Taiwan. Companies in Taiwan generally know that if they ever want to bring in foreign talent they have to accommodate for the higher pay, and smaller work load. Otherwise foreigners will never come, or in the case of that girl, quit right away.

You also have people like the French guy I knew who worked for a French company in Taiwan. As he was still employed by the parent company in France he worked the same hours as those at home.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
That was some good beer (and turkey and cranberry sauce and cats). You guys missed out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You Goons are weird. There's a definite difference between being in the beer industry and buying beer in your leisure time and being a dealer of illegal narcotics and developing a drug habit that directly cuts into your profits and ability to be a drug dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, I know. It's so unreal, it's almost like they were joking!