Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Galler posted:

If you've got to drive an unregistered and uninsured shitbox with no license then it's imperative that you don't commit any other dumb traffic offenses life speeding or driving without headlights at night. Had he not done the last two and been nice to the cop he probably would have just gotten a pile of tickets and had his car towed. He's clearly an overachiever when it comes to bad decisions so this was rather expected.

The HIDZZZZZ didn't work, he drove with the parking lights + fog lights to make up for it. :haw:

Kenny Rogers posted:

Also, why would you not just walk away from a car that's impounded for n, where n is greater than the value of the car in impound?

I think that's what he plans to do. To get a car out of impound, you have to have a license, proof of ownership, and valid insurance on the car. He doesn't have any of these (except for a signed title from the previous owner).

Hell, he'd be stupid not to walk from it. No way in hell is he going to be able to get insurance in his name, especially without a license. And since the title was signed over to him, he's the only one who can register it... but you can't register it without proof of insurance. :downs:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Safe Auto has some cosigner thing where if you can convince a family member to double their premiums they can put high risk drivers on their plan. I know that's how my idiot friend with a clapped out Buick got his insurance.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

kastein posted:

That's completely different, after googling it - that's if colors bleed funny, like blue blurring on one side of your vision and red on the other. This is different, an actual green tinted headlight on one side and purple on the other, both of the "lovely ebay HIDzzz that claim FIFTEEN THOUSAND KELVIN COLOR TEMPERATURE" variety.

I get chromatic aberration, but only in reflections off my glasses from crummy blue HIDs, which is because of the way the lenses are constructed. Makes me think there's a cop behind me every goddamn time :argh:

Most green tinted headlights are because they've got a 3000k yellow stupid HID with a failing ballast/igniter. The purple though, that's just stupid choice of color spectrum.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

That's completely different, after googling it - that's if colors bleed funny, like blue blurring on one side of your vision and red on the other. This is different, an actual green tinted headlight on one side and purple on the other, both of the "lovely ebay HIDzzz that claim FIFTEEN THOUSAND KELVIN COLOR TEMPERATURE" variety.

I get chromatic aberration, but only in reflections off my glasses from crummy blue HIDs, which is because of the way the lenses are constructed. Makes me think there's a cop behind me every goddamn time :argh:

That is why I would never prescribe or order polycarbonate lenses for anyone over a +/-4.00D Rx - above that you get weird chromatic abberations, and it is worse at lower Rx's with even higher index lenses, like 1.53 and 1.74. Ever notice a blue tinge on one side of something and a yellowish tinge on the opposite side of the object when the object is against a solid color background (black pen against grey desktop is perfect for this)? Chromatic abberation. This is also the reason that the edge of a projector headlight's beam pattern is yellowish even on 5000 to 5500k (white, 6000k is just about agreed upon as treading in the "blueish" territory) lamps.

The only exception was for children, because little children tend to be rough on their glasses and I didn't want a CR-39 or a high-index lens shattering in the poor kid's eye.

Edit for car content. This is what I saw just a few hours ago in a Goodwill parking lot:

When it left, I didn't see any brake lights of any kind, even when it stopped at the edge of the parking lot. The passenger footwell was full of microwave lean cuisine meals, opened and piled high. There was only one fork, a metal one in the cuisine in the passenger seat :stonk:

Edit 2: The more I look at the pictures the more I see wrong. It's like one of those Magic Eye things where if I stare hard enough a roll of Autozone chrome trim tape appears, right? I mean, I didn't even notice the holes from the (now missing) spoiler that was on there (presumably a piece of plywood or something) the first time through. And I didn't notice that the car goes from "angry red and tribal patterns" to "JDM STYLE PANDA OVERSPRAY" halfway through, or that the front blinker is falling off, either.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 28, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
He left the back of the trunk white to increase visibility. You know, to make up for the lack of tail lights.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That is pretty "ill"...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Most green tinted headlights are because they've got a 3000k yellow stupid HID with a failing ballast/igniter. The purple though, that's just stupid choice of color spectrum.

The passenger side light on my Skyline/G35 went really purple for about a week before it failed completely

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
On the topic of town's over-salting the roads, I drove back to Chicago today, and snapped a pic of an intersection I had stopped at.

That's not snow. :stonk:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's no snow in the forecast. :psyduck:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seems insurance claims are starting to get settled on the higher end calgary flood cars, and they're coming through the salvage auctions :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nothing on that car will ever work right. I mean, it may work okay, but never perfectly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Nothing on that car will ever work right. I mean, it may work okay, but never perfectly.

It's still worth $96,000 apparently. I guess being submerged only takes about 30% off the value of a ford GT.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?act=conditionReport&stockNumber=HVJ81&rowpos=&act=search&rowpos=0&buyNow=true&showPictures=true

Shame it's been sitting for 5 months with the water in it. Hard to imagine there's anything left to work with.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh...those cars usually get parted out right?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powershift posted:

It's still worth $96,000 apparently. I guess being submerged only takes about 30% off the value of a ford GT.

http://www.impactauto.ca/runList?act=conditionReport&stockNumber=HVJ81&rowpos=&act=search&rowpos=0&buyNow=true&showPictures=true

Shame it's been sitting for 5 months with the water in it. Hard to imagine there's anything left to work with.

We went through this from 1978 on with Johnstown Flood cars.

Always easy to spot by 1982, they were the ones turning to dust from mid-door down.

The prescription for bringing back the motor on a flood car:

-- drain out the oil/water

-- fill it with kerosene, run it 5-minutes

-- drain it out, fill it with Wolf's Head 30-weight

-- run it 15-minutes

-- change the oil & filter, & you're good to go!

What could possibly go wrong?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Uthor posted:

There's no snow in the forecast. :psyduck:

If its anything like around me, they got a small sprinkling that would have gone away in a day, but panicked and dumped a ton of salt on it as if they expected a blizzard.

There are a couple intersections around me that look like that, only its brown because they usually prefer sand over salt.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

R U MAD

Just because you can put graphics on a wrap doesn't mean you should.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Looks like a cover to a highschool math book

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I dunno... this is pretty baller. If it had some lovely 3d rendered cones and spheres, and maybe a cylinder it'd complete the High School Mathbook transformation.

Things I will never understand:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bring Back Noid posted:

Yeah, I dunno... this is pretty baller. If it had some lovely 3d rendered cones and spheres, and maybe a cylinder it'd complete the High School Mathbook transformation.

I hate my suspension and wish to destroy it as expensively as possible?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like it is transforming into a hovercraft.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Where we're going we won't need roads!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Seems insurance claims are starting to get settled on the higher end calgary flood cars, and they're coming through the salvage auctions :smith:

There was a flood 1M a few months ago, and a handful of Evos and 911s have been through as well. :(

At my coworker's condo downtown some guy left a 911 turbo to drown in the underground parkade. It started out on the fourth underground level and ended up on the second one bouncing against the concrete ceiling.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 28, 2013

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Bovril Delight posted:

Looks like it is transforming into a hovercraft.

This one almost looks like it's squatting to pee:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Root Bear posted:

They got so close and then just poo poo the bed.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Root Bear posted:

The JDM badge just seals it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That's a photoshop.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Root Bear posted:

It's also clearly photoshopped.

I can't wait for this stupid fad to die down. Although, who knows what lunacy it will be replaced with.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

That's a photoshop.

It has to be a photoshop. I mean, with that stance there's no way he'd be able to turn his front wheels.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

That's a photoshop.

It's still terrible isn't it? :colbert:

Here's something that isn't a photoshop. I'm not sure what it was, but I do know what it isn't:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ulfhednar posted:

On the topic of town's over-salting the roads, I drove back to Chicago today, and snapped a pic of an intersection I had stopped at.

That's not snow. :stonk:

They don't really do this intentionally - the flow rate out of the dump box to the spreader was set for whatever speed the truck was traveling, which is going to be very excessive for an intersection. For a momentary stop like a stop sign it's probably not worth loving with the controls to change the flow rate for one second.

Salt is cheap so it's also probably not cost effective to have better controls for the system either.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Powershift posted:

Hey, road salt crew.

CHILL THE gently caress OUT WITH THE SALT.

This was one day, the truck was clean when i started the day. this is why we can't have solid older cars :argh:
Hey, if there isn't a quarter inch slab of salt on the road and your car, they are not doing their job!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Root Bear posted:

Here's something that isn't a photoshop. I'm not sure what it was, but I do know what it isn't:

The wheels remind me of the stock FRS ones.....

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Root Bear posted:

Audi TT or somesuch?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bring Back Noid posted:

"I know better how to design suspension than a proffessional engineer. I also secretly hate my car and want it to die a slow agonizing death."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I want to know what that feels like to drive.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

I want to know what that feels like to drive.

Constant fear that you won't see a dip/pothole/speedbump.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

2nd gen Eclipse?

Edit: Nope, A-pillar and door handle are different.

It's gotta be a Mercury Cougar. You can just barely see the Cougar's bodyline in the lower part of the door.

Edit2: Or not. I'm stumped.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 29, 2013

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
e: ^^ Goddammit! Edited while I was posting! ^^ :argh:

It's a Ford Cougar (Mercury Cougar for you Americans).

I've seen several terrible kits based on them. I'm starting to wonder whether they're turning into the new Fiero.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Ghost Farts posted:

e: ^^ Goddammit! Edited while I was posting! ^^ :argh:

It's a Ford Cougar (Mercury Cougar for you Americans).

I've seen several terrible kits based on them. I'm starting to wonder whether they're turning into the new Fiero.

I second guessed myself because the window line is straighter than the stock Cougar.

Found this one while looking for clues.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bring Back Noid posted:

It's Japan. It's intentionally ridiculous; it's a form of self-expression. I doubt it gets driven much except to show off.