Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

b0nes posted:

You don't need to buy your phone at Walmart, only the SIM. Actually you don't even need to buy the SIM there, I bought mine at Walgreens by accident and they let me use it with the Walmart plan. I have the $30 100 min unlimited everything else on my Nexus 5.

If you don't mind waiting a few days the SIM kit is free on T-Mobile's website and it works with the $30 plan. Personally that's a preferable experience to having to deal with the electronics desk at a Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Woah, i totally forgot about Motorola's $100 trade in program, i have a piece of poo poo motorola triumph i never bothered to resell and that's eligible... now i'm actually tempted to get a moto X on cyber monday:

http://www.mototradeup.com/
I couldn't see where it says about the condition of the phone. There are tons of Motorola phones on Ebay, I could pick up one for under $20 and you still save $80.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

If you don't mind waiting a few days the SIM kit is free on T-Mobile's website and it works with the $30 plan. Personally that's a preferable experience to having to deal with the electronics desk at a Walmart.

Yeah I couldn't wait the few days to get it free. I dropped AT&T like a bad habit. I actually get a signal in my house now.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm thinking about grabbing a Moto X from the Cyber Monday deal. The Moto Maker phones are carrier-locked, correct? I'm in Canada so I guess I'd have to buy a dev edition.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Thinking about selling my N5 for a Dev Edition Moto X as well.

Anyone have problems replying to group text messages with Hangous? I have been trying to reply to a group text for over an hour the message doesn't go through for some reason.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

b0nes posted:

Thinking about selling my N5 for a Dev Edition Moto X as well.

Anyone have problems replying to group text messages with Hangous? I have been trying to reply to a group text for over an hour the message doesn't go through for some reason.

Nope, I'm in a group conversation right now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They sell a 40 dollar kit with sim + first months 30 dollar payment that guarantees you the $30 plan as well.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Geektox posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing a Moto X from the Cyber Monday deal. The Moto Maker phones are carrier-locked, correct? I'm in Canada so I guess I'd have to buy a dev edition.

Everything I've read days the T-Mobile and dev versions are the same.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

Of course, the week after I get my Nexus 5, I realize that Motorola makes a Maxx Developer Edition available which is not locked to Verizon and uses LTE Band 4, takes a SIM card, and in other words is fully compatible with T-Mobile.

Now I'm kicking myself.

How much for this option?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Verizon MAXX on AT&T/T-Mobile is tempting just for the battery and X internals alone. I just went with the Dev X. Might as well have LTE I guess. The X's battery is really fine for me. 24 hrs with normal use is more than most would expect from a phone.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I want my Nexus 5 to be murderproof but apparently there's no otterbox for it, what should I get?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I have a weird question--yesterday I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 for $159 (the 7" model). I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note III and it's $634 on Amazon (out of contract of course). Why is there such a huge price difference? If tablets have come down so much, why not phones, too? Just curious.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Benjamin Black posted:

I want my Nexus 5 to be murderproof but apparently there's no otterbox for it, what should I get?

The Diztronic range is pretty good.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Tychtrip posted:

The Diztronic range is pretty good.

I was hoping for something sturdier than TPU. I want something on par with Otterbox.

(Doesn't help Diztronic is only available in black and purple)

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 28, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EPLTFIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1385671635&sr=8-2&pi=SY200

My friend loves those cases.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Fairly low amazon rating for a case, I think I'll pass on this.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Just to clarify, if I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan, and I buy a Moto X off-contract, I can de-activate my old phone and activate the other without losing my phone number or my contract? Do I need to walk into the store to do this or can it be done on my own?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I think I'm going to go with one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Armo...=item461695f59f

It seems to be an offbrand Kayscase ArmorBox:

http://www.amazon.com/KAYSCASE-ArmorBox-Heavy-Cover-Google/dp/B00EVEREYG

I like the kickstand. The ebay auction has free return shipping and 60 day return so I don't feel like there's any risk, if it's low quality I'll just ask for my money back. Only 5 bucks anyway.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 28, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Elotana posted:

Just to clarify, if I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan, and I buy a Moto X off-contract, I can de-activate my old phone and activate the other without losing my phone number or my contract? Do I need to walk into the store to do this or can it be done on my own?

Correct. Nothing changes but your phone.

You will likely need to get a nano SIM from Verizon unless you want to cut yours down (assuming you are coming from an LTE phone already, otherwise you have nothing to cut down).

You can get one from a corporate owned shop, or the online activation tool will offer to mail you one if I remember right.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I'm coming from an ancient iPhone 4, so as far as I know the only thing I have to do is sign out of iCloud/iMessaging et al so it's no longer associated with my number

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Fffffff

Am I stupid for wanting to sell my N5 and get one of the Moto Xs?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Elotana posted:

I'm coming from an ancient iPhone 4, so as far as I know the only thing I have to do is sign out of iCloud/iMessaging et al so it's no longer associated with my number

Yes. Make sure to actually sign out your Apple ID from both Facetime and iMessage, not just switching them off. That should force your phone number to be disassociated from your Apple ID.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I have a weird question--yesterday I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 for $159 (the 7" model). I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note III and it's $634 on Amazon (out of contract of course). Why is there such a huge price difference? If tablets have come down so much, why not phones, too? Just curious.

The Note 3 is a high end device whereas the Tab 3 7.0 is very much entry level - it has a low res display, slow processor, limited amount of ram and storage.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is it just me or does the notification bar lag on open in 4.4? I mean while on the lockscreen. This is with a tmo HTC one converted to a gpe.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

Fffffff

I don't understand why someone would want to downgrade their screen size, the N5 screen size seems pretty ideal.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

Fffffff

No can answer for you. They're both good devices with different things going for them, and we don't know how important the relative differences are to you.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I do have to admit the Moto Maker is pretty freaking neat and a great way to get people to purchase the phone.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

No can answer for you. They're both good devices with different things going for them, and we don't know how important the relative differences are to you.

Honestly, I love my N5, but I don't use wireless charging, and the various enhancements in the X (always listening, driving mode, etc.) seem like they would loving own.

I don't know when Google upped its voice recognition game, but using voice commands for google now is actually extremely useful. Being able to do so when the phone screen is off seems neat.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Yeah, I had to choose between the Moto X and the N% - but by being in Canada it was less difficult. However, I needed good text display, since I use it almost exclusively for that.

By the way, remember all that nonsense about my phone being shipped with two other phones? The phone I wanted was conveniently forgotten by the delivery truck, and now I get to wait an extra day for the one they gave me the credit on.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Rusty! posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say that Samsung et al will be ignoring this and putting the old code back in.

Its a done deal since its part of an API that the CDD/CTS prevents them from modifying.

Tunga posted:

So the overflow button doesn't show on any action bar? Interesting, they must have reversed that change specifically for the S4.

Hmm, this not-English video of an S4 running the GPe ROM posted earlier today contradicts him so maybe he overlooked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEEN7pWdAws

Inconclusive though since it could be down to ROM funkiness. Though if this is 1-to-1 with how the real GPe operates, it confirms that Google didn't remap the physical Menu button to something else since the overflow doesn't show up in the fake action bars of Chrome or G+ meaning so they must have programmatically detected its existence. The Chrome and Google+ teams being out of sync with the Android team so not updating ahead of time (because Google) seems par on course so its likely the real deal.

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Have you received the 4.4 update yet on your Moto X, and if so, have you tried since then? The release notes for the 4.4 update includes "Added support for Square card reader," so it sounds like there may have been a fix for that.

Hmm. I'll have to try it again when I get home. I have the 4.4 update but was getting an "accessory not recognized" message whenever I tried plugging it in.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Rusty! posted:

I've used StickMount on mine, does what you'd expect.

Interesting, StickMount doesn't work for me at all and just complains about the mount service being busy when I try to do a manual mount :/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I received my wireless charger from RAVpower today. Wireless charging is pretty cool. Now I just have to figure out whether that Asus driver actually cranks the USB ports up to 1.2A or not, since there don't appear to be working apps or widgets that show the current on the N5 properly. I don't feel comfortable keeping that presumably cheap China power brick of the charger plugged in all the time, if my computer with a quality PSU runs 24/7 anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now I just have to figure out whether that Asus driver actually cranks the USB ports up to 1.2A or not, since there don't appear to be working apps or widgets that show the current on the N5 properly.
If you're on Windows, power drain shows up on Device Manager on the appropriate USB hub's Properties screen.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Why not use the cheap china power brick that came with your N5 instead?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tunga posted:

If you're on Windows, power drain shows up on Device Manager on the appropriate USB hub's Properties screen.
I have it plugged in the USB3 port, some Renesys controller, and its driver doesn't have the Power tab. I have to try one of the USB2 ports on the Intel chipset.

--edit: According to BatteryWidget, it charged a little faster on the charging pad with those Ai Charger drivers than without directly connected. So I guess it works.

Long Francesco posted:

Why not use the cheap china power brick that came with your N5 instead?
Always charged on the computer overnight. The brick is still wrapped in plastic.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Since updating my AT&T Galaxy S3 to 4.3 my battery dies over night. Literally had a full charge, unplugged my phone to plug in my wife's, and just found out my phone has been dead on the counter for who knows how long. Googling says this is a known problem but I haven't been able to find any information about why or any potential work arounds. Anyone?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
KitKat is rolling out today for the Unlocked and Developer Edition HTC One devices.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In regards to wireless charging and battery health, it seems like Qi doesn't support trickle charging and my battery graph seems to support this with a saw tooth graph. How does this affect battery life/health compared to regular trickle charging when wired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Qi can trickle charge, it just depends on the phone and charger.

• Locked thread