Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chichevache posted:

It could definitely be more creative, but I think a key pillar of country music is being tragic and not comic. Is it still country if it is funny?

Yup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKypDHC3TLQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Chichevache posted:

It could definitely be more creative, but I think a key pillar of country music is being tragic and not comic. Is it still country if it is funny?

Sure, even in old school country. Boy Named Sue, You Never Even Called Me by My Name, etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chichevache posted:

That's the problem for me. It seems like the people against taunting don't have an argument besides "we don't like it", while those of us who support it can only say "we do like it". You might as well argue about what type of music is the worst, because it is dumb and subjective.

The problem though is that we are not debating two positive arguments.

Allowing taunting is a natural state. Banning taunting is an enforced state. There has to be an argument for why banning taunting is a good idea because the end result of doing nothing is the allowance of taunting.

PHILOSOPHY

EDIT: Also you idiots need to quit responding to Chiv's joke like he was serious

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem though is that we are not debating two positive arguments.

Allowing taunting is a natural state. Banning taunting is an enforced state. There has to be an argument for why banning taunting is a good idea because the end result of doing nothing is the allowance of taunting.

PHILOSOPHY
I didn't even want to try bringing that up again, because I don't see us convincing those in favor of banning through that method.

quote:

EDIT: Also you idiots need to quit responding to Chiv's joke like he was serious

You hate fun or something? :mad:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Country and western, serious business. :colbert:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Eh, if you allow unrestricted taunting, you risk the game getting out of control and fights breaking out. Also, taunting's much cooler when it's actually breaking a rule. Taunt and take your 15-yard penalty like a man. The penalty's basically meaningless anyway if you taunt while scoring a touchdown.

The fines and idiotic media moralizing are another story, though :(.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There has to be an argument for why banning taunting is a good idea because the end result of doing nothing is the allowance of taunting.

If you allow guys that are aggressive and seem to have pretty poor impulse control to overly berate each other, someone's going to get neck punched on the field. It's easier to just make it against the rules than to constantly pull guys off of each other. Somehow making it against the rules does seem to mitigate a lot of the shoving and worse that would be happening.

Can you imagine how much time would be wasted in Steelers-Ravens games if you allowed taunting then had to stop all the fights? Look how often they have to break guys up now!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

If you allow guys that are aggressive and seem to have pretty poor impulse control to overly berate each other, someone's going to get neck punched on the field. It's easier to just make it against the rules than to constantly pull guys off of each other. Somehow making it against the rules does seem to mitigate a lot of the shoving and worse that would be happening.

Can you imagine how much time would be wasted in Steelers-Ravens games if you allowed taunting then had to stop all the fights? Look how often they have to break guys up now!

I feel like you're going to have to provide some evidence that the amount of fights would increase. These players are already fighting during games as it is.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

I feel like you're going to have to provide some evidence that the amount of fights would increase. These players are already fighting during games as it is.

Players always try to get away with as much as the referee will let them. The 2010 World Cup Final happened because the referee was too lax. If players are fighting during games, legalizing taunting would most definitely increase the amount of fighting. They're already trash-talking and getting into each other's heads--the difference with taunting is that it's in front of all the spectators and it's easier to go over the edge when you're embarrassed.

The rules are fine as they are.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Players always try to get away with as much as the referee will let them. The 2010 World Cup Final happened because the referee was too lax. If players are fighting during games, legalizing taunting would most definitely increase the amount of fighting.

I don't see why this should result in punishments for taunting. It seems that the penalties for fighting aren't harsh enough and the referees are not doing a good enough job enforcing them (Personal fouls offset, nothing changes.) It seems to me the correct thing to do is crack down on fighting and eject players when they do it, so that there is actually an incentive to not do something that is dangerous, as opposed to banning taunting which harms no one while fights still happen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Eh, if you allow unrestricted taunting, you risk the game getting out of control and fights breaking out. Also, taunting's much cooler when it's actually breaking a rule. Taunt and take your 15-yard penalty like a man. The penalty's basically meaningless anyway if you taunt while scoring a touchdown.
Yeah but this discussion started because the NFL is looking into enforcing the NCAA penalty or taunting which wipes away scores.

e: poo poo I'm sorry this stupid discussion has been in two different threads and they've blurred together. Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577364&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post421108963

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 31, 2013

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I thought this discussion started during the game on Monday night :confused:. I'm just talking about the current rules. The NFL is stupid for considering that rule change. Touchdown celebrations rock, also.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Chichevache posted:

T.O. got hit after showing off on the star in Dallas. Von Miller got super pissed when the Tom Brady punted against them in the playoffs a few years ago and started a fight after the play. That wasn't a strict case of taunting, but it is easy to imagine how the Broncos, who were being stomped at the time, interpreted it as showboating or rubbing it in. If Tom Brady had literally taunted the Broncos during or after the play the results would have been worse. Athletes in general don't tend to be the most calm and stoic people in the world, and a lot of people in life don't appreciate being taunted.

I see a difference between touchdown celebrations ("I did something good") and taunting ("You suck"), and I'd appreciate the restrictions against endzone celebrations being eased. But I have no issue with taunting penalties for the very reason that they prevent a possible escalation with no negative repercussions (unless you think ":qq: I can't rub it in their faces my success is invalidated" is a reasonable sentiment worth protecting).

Taunting isn't acceptable in most areas of life, I don't see why sports should be the exception. I mean, it's not like Golden Tate personally offended me and I can't enjoy football anymore. But if there were no restrictions on taunting, there is a good possibility it would degrade the quality of play and there are no real benefits to allowing it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Disillusionist posted:

T.O. got hit after showing off on the star in Dallas. Von Miller got super pissed when the Tom Brady punted against them in the playoffs a few years ago and started a fight after the play. That wasn't a strict case of taunting, but it is easy to imagine how the Broncos, who were being stomped at the time, interpreted it as showboating or rubbing it in.
No it isn't, and that your second bit of evidence is a massive, massive stretch of what could possibly be interpreted as a taunt suggests that the premise of taunting -> fights is flimsy.

Disillusionist posted:

Taunting isn't acceptable in most areas of life, I don't see why sports should be the exception. I mean, it's not like Golden Tate personally offended me and I can't enjoy football anymore. But if there were no restrictions on taunting, there is a good possibility it would degrade the quality of play and there are no real benefits to allowing it.
Saying that "taunting isn't acceptable in most areas of life" is a worthless statement. You're already admitting that it's not all areas of life, the places where there actually are restrictions against are few in number and professional sports are exceptions to a lot of basic life rules anyway. I also have no idea why you think it will affect the quality of play, because that's a completely different point unrelated to anything else you talked about and requires many leaps of logic to reach it. There are other professional sports where the restrictions on taunting range from lax to non-existent and yet it hasn't degraded the quality of play or caused any fights that I can remember.

The issue with penalizing taunting is that the difference between a taunt and a celebration (or angry words or whatever else happens on the football field) can be minute, subtle or otherwise misinterpreted by the officials, and if we're placing 15 yard personal fouls on it (let alone negating touchdowns) then it's going to be critical in the outcome of many games. I remember a couple instances where players spun the ball but there happened to be an opposing player nearby so it drew a flag, determining whether a sack dance is aimed at a specific player is always problematic, etc. Even if it's more cut-and-dry, football is a physical, emotional game where the reactions are shown live nationwide so in general I'm going to be against penalizing mild displays of excitement or frustrations since they're not actually hurting anybody, despite your ravings about how it's going to lead to fights or riots or whatever.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 31, 2013

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You guys gotta put your lovely sportswriting copy-pastes into quote tags, I'm starting to mistakenly think you're actually having this discussion

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I feel like you're going to have to provide some evidence that the amount of fights would increase.

Uh, people are throwing fists in the stands. Kids fight playing with toys. People do not like to be taunted.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

People get paid to write articles that start with
There are levels to dumbassery. Dumbassery is like hot sauce. There's mild, medium and extra dumbass.

what am I doing with my life?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Why are you people still reading Bleacher Report

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Why did I open up and sniff the old water bottle still a quarter filled with protein shake that I found in my car after a hot sunny day?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Benne posted:

Why are you people still reading Bleacher Report

sometimes you're reading cnn.com and it just happens

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sash! posted:

sometimes you're reading cnn.com and it just happens

Why are you people still reading cnn.com

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I get my news sources from varied outlets of varying calibers to broaden my world view and allow me to say why exactly I dislike something rather than painting it with a brush stroke as broad and useless as "oh, it's just CNN"
:smug:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why are you people still reading cnn.com

If you don't give your balls a rest from the meat tenderizer every now and again you get used to the pain

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I get my news sources from varied outlets of varying calibers to broaden my world view and allow me to say why exactly I dislike something rather than painting it with a brush stroke as broad and useless as "oh, it's just CNN"
:smug:

I get all of my news from the arrangement of chicken bones I throw into a circle after an incantation.

Its free from Liberal Bias

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's free of "liberal bias" because chicken bones are a poorly disguised mouth piece for the business elite.

If you want actual news you need to go to lamb entrails. Public grazing makes them immune to investor's interests.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
In breaking news: Omar Kelly still terrible. (Re: Martin/Incognito)

@OmarKelly: locker room is unique place. No place like it. If you can’t take a joke, or be chastised by teammate you don’t belong

@OmarKelly: it is important to get the FACTS, and understand all the issues, factors, incidents before formulating a conclusion.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Ehud is Omar

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

quote:

Replacement theory
Adam Rank sees a startling resemblance between Josh McCown and Hollywood's Shane Falco.

front page lead on nfl.com

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Declan MacManus posted:

front page lead on nfl.com

Adam Rank is a terrible writer. I called him out on some purely wrong information in one of his articles and he replied with a flame.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You can't blame the man for being what he is but you can blame the NFL for giving him a job.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

quote:

@OmarKelly Ive been popular all my life&never understood. Never tried to be popular. Never worked at it. Just always been.

Sample size of those Omar polled: 2. Himself and his mother.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Came here to post that.

Other sports writers are making fun of him and it rules.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

I saw Evan Silva laugh at him (Unsurprising when the two insult each other pretty regularly), but it says something that other sports writers are breaking ranks to make fun of him.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

quote:

Mark Shields offers this bonus wisdom on maintaining friendly family relations [over Thanksgiving]:

It's a time to become a football fan. The NFL has done a great favor to the peacefulness of American family gatherings by scheduling a game between the Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers beginning at 12:30 p.m. EST on Fox. As soon as that's over, CBS has the Dallas Cowboys against the Oakland Raiders. If you haven't had enough -- although Sally Quinn once made the observation that any man who watches three football games in a row is probably brain dead, and that's probably true -- there's an 8:30 p.m. game. As long as there's a football game, it gives us something to talk about that lowers the temperature in the room.

My other suggestion: It's good to ask non-political quizzes to get the conversation going.

Why watch football when you could be using your massive brainpower to have sex with your boss?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

superaielman posted:

Sample size of those Omar polled: 2. Himself and his mother.

He's well known in south Florida because literally nobody respects him. Time for a fakeomarkelly update

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Peter King gets spicy:

quote:

Peter King ✔ @SI_PeterKing
My apologies for cursing during the @dpshow commercial break. Thought we were in a commercial break.

That aside, I've been enjoying the MMQB site quite a bit, and King is doing some actual reporting this week. He spent about a month following referees for a story for MMQB that's going to be released in segments on his site Wednesday through Friday. I'm actually looking forward to it. Like many, I didn't know a get-back coach was an actual thing (and that Pittsburgh's coach sucks at it).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Peter King really wants to change the field goals and kicking in general, because nothing interesting ever happens on missed field goals.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently Tebow has realized there was someone who wanted him all along: http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/03/tim-tebow-tv-bidding-war-brewing-between-three-networks/#sthash.CJ0sjmLZ.uxfs

Bidding war between ESPN, CBS and FOX to get him as a talking head.

quote:

ESPN’s SEC Network, which debuts on August 21, 2014, is planning its own version of ‘College Gameday’ and has settled on three names: Rece Davis (an Alabama grad) would be the host, the voice of the South Paul Finebaum would play the role of Lee Corso, and Tebow would be the show’s Kirk Herbstreit. A source says ESPN is currently searching for another former SEC athlete to fill the final spot.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I remember where I was when I found out that Tebow beat the Steelers in the playoffs. I had to miss the game because I was the second night into a 3 day bus trip on Christmas holidays. In the morning we stopped in some small town in bumblefuck Ontario and I went into a Subway for breakfast. It was real early and I heard faintly on the radio "something something Tebow something overtime Pittsburgh something" and stood there staring blankly at the little middle eastern lady behind the counter and said "Did.. did that just say Tebow beat the Steelers?" and she stared at me blankly and said "..yes?"

It was a beautiful moment between her and I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kalli posted:

Apparently Tebow has realized there was someone who wanted him all along: http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/03/tim-tebow-tv-bidding-war-brewing-between-three-networks/#sthash.CJ0sjmLZ.uxfs

Bidding war between ESPN, CBS and FOX to get him as a talking head.

This has Jay Barker written all over it

• Locked thread