Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I have a G27 in the mail as we speak. Should be here tomorrow sometime. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve all over again.

Last wheel I had was that GT4 Logitech, I think it was a Driving Force Pro or whatever. I'm so amped for a legit shifter and clutch pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I have a G27 in the mail as we speak. Should be here tomorrow sometime. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve all over again.

Last wheel I had was that GT4 Logitech, I think it was a Driving Force Pro or whatever. I'm so amped for a legit shifter and clutch pedal.

You're in for a real treat then as our wheels are basically the same.

The quality of the thing will surprise you probably, it's very nice and the shifter unit is awesome, even the guys who spend $thousands use our shifters in their set ups.

The force feedback is fierce as well, it shocked me at first, nearly broke my wrists ha ha!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
How much do you guys use heel/toe with your wheels, and how long did it take to learn it? My seat will be delivered tomorrow, so I should have my cockpit built pretty soon and I can start learning how to properly heel/toe. Currently, my knees hit my wheel every time I try so I use auto-blip like a scrub.

Assetto Corsa's auto-blip isn't as forgiving as rF2, I never lose the back end under braking in rF2 but it happens every few laps in AC.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

peter gabriel posted:

You're in for a real treat then as our wheels are basically the same.

The quality of the thing will surprise you probably, it's very nice and the shifter unit is awesome, even the guys who spend $thousands use our shifters in their set ups.

The force feedback is fierce as well, it shocked me at first, nearly broke my wrists ha ha!

Yeah I've been reading a bit about them and they seem to be the cheapest good wheel. Maybe one day I can justify spending a grand on a wheel, but today isn't that day.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah I've been reading a bit about them and they seem to be the cheapest good wheel. Maybe one day I can justify spending a grand on a wheel, but today isn't that day.

I could blow some silly money on these things but honestly I haven't ever felt the need, it's a really sweet wheel. The nice thing about it as well is the compatibility - you can throw it at Grid, Dirt, F1, whatever and they all support it. So much so that the high end wheels use Logitech mode to work well in some cases.

If you have a smartphone get Dash Meter Pro (or similar, I like this one) and you are ready to rock :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGdVjFOnLg

It becomes useful in open wheelers where there are no dials, good for helping judge revs etc.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I assume most recent games have support for the clutch pedal? Maybe I'll learn to drive a stick this way :D

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

peter gabriel posted:

I could blow some silly money on these things but honestly I haven't ever felt the need, it's a really sweet wheel. The nice thing about it as well is the compatibility - you can throw it at Grid, Dirt, F1, whatever and they all support it. So much so that the high end wheels use Logitech mode to work well in some cases.

If you have a smartphone get Dash Meter Pro (or similar, I like this one) and you are ready to rock :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGdVjFOnLg

It becomes useful in open wheelers where there are no dials, good for helping judge revs etc.

I know the feeling when it comes to blowing money. I don't even have the wheel yet and I've already bought a few cars and tracks that I didn't feel like waiting forever to unlock.

Modifieds at Martinsville is hilarious fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ahhhh, ha ha, I've let my sub slip in iRacing, I'll sort that this week.
Do we have any goon racing in it?

Viking, bear in mind that you need to have the relevant licenses to race some of the cars and tracks you'll be buying, I'm sure you already know, but if not do keep that in mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There used to be some goon racing in iRacing, but it was only ever oval racing, which I find kind of boring.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ahhh, yeah same here, but easier to get in and drive though I guess.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

peter gabriel posted:

Ahhhh, ha ha, I've let my sub slip in iRacing, I'll sort that this week.
Do we have any goon racing in it?

Viking, bear in mind that you need to have the relevant licenses to race some of the cars and tracks you'll be buying, I'm sure you already know, but if not do keep that in mind.

Yeah, I'm just messing around in open lobbies anyway until I get my wheel.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I'm just messing around in open lobbies anyway until I get my wheel.

Best way...
Just remember that your Safety Rating is what you want to be preserving for now. You lose points for crashes and other things. To get out of rookie you need a good safety rating at the end of the season.

As they say, the point of Rookie League is getting out of Rookie League and the way to do that is drive well and safely, then you'll get promoted and be with other people who have done the same thing. That's when the really cool races begin and the turn one wrecks calm down.

Don't get hung up on it, just beware of it - safety rating is important.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

peter gabriel posted:

Dash Meter Pro
I love this, almost too much. This is the kind of poo poo i actually imagined tablets/smartphones to be good for.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wallrod posted:

I love this, almost too much. This is the kind of poo poo i actually imagined tablets/smartphones to be good for.

It's great, it connects to my PC using the wifi in my house. The only thing I'm finding is cool little toys like that are pointless if you are racing using the Oculus Rift :(

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
When some clever chap makes it so that i can strap two smartphones to my face i won't need this oculus nonsense, but i remain envious.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wallrod posted:

When some clever chap makes it so that i can strap two smartphones to my face i won't need this oculus nonsense, but i remain envious.

It's cool but mainly I play without it, it's a big old commitment playing with the Rift on and I can't always be arsed, it's nice sometimes to veg out and chill while racing, so I get to use stuff like Dash Meter then. There are crazy versions for tablets as well with touch screen controls for various things but I don't go that far with it all ha ha.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

peter gabriel posted:

Best way...
Just remember that your Safety Rating is what you want to be preserving for now. You lose points for crashes and other things. To get out of rookie you need a good safety rating at the end of the season.

As they say, the point of Rookie League is getting out of Rookie League and the way to do that is drive well and safely, then you'll get promoted and be with other people who have done the same thing. That's when the really cool races begin and the turn one wrecks calm down.

Don't get hung up on it, just beware of it - safety rating is important.

Oh yeah, I'm driving as I normally would, just not expecting much because of the gamepad. I just did my first race, 35 laps of Trucks at Talladega. I qualified 20th or so, and ended up 15th out of 37, 2 laps down. Not a bad start IMO. Only brushed the wall two or three times.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

If you like GT Legends.. and also happen to own GTR2 then you probably want to get the Power & Glory Mod: http://www.gtlw.co.uk/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yep, I had it a few years ago, and I also had the shameless copy someone made for rFactor, too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Drunk Badger posted:

I grew up playing Gran Turismo, but this is my first jump into PC racing. I'm thinking rF2 might be a better step for now but wanted to see what I could expect when I jump into iRacing

Try Live For Speed? The demo should give you a good taste of PC rrrrrracing. It's even online!

I booted it up the other day. Still feels great. More people should play it.

I think it would take a good while to get bored of. Since it has nearly every type of car, every type of track, track item placement for custom layouts, and fantastic online code.

And you can burn out your clutch, flatspot and pop your tires!

EDIT: And the black friday teaser at fanatec is hinting at a rig. LAME. I wanted the two for one rim deal with the club sport. :(

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 29, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You are super obsessed with live for speed.

The Fanatec Black Friday deal is their wheel stand for 70 bucks. Whoop dee doo. If it's anything like the wheel stand I had before, it's wobbly as poo poo and impossible to get stable.

I mentioned on their facebook that I was hoping for another two for one deal on rims. Fanatec facebook person said they could only do the wheel stand because they don't have enough stock of anything else. What a way to do business.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 29, 2013

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Cojawfee posted:

The Fanatec Black Friday deal is their wheel stand for 70 bucks. Whoop dee doo. If it's anything like the wheel stand I had before, it's wobbly as poo poo and impossible to get stable.

I mentioned on their facebook that I was hoping for another two for one deal on rims. Fanatec facebook person said they could only do the wheel stand because they don't have enough stock of anything else. What a way to do business.

I'm still waiting for more CSW rims. Thomas listed 15-20 possible varieties at launch, none of which have materialised.

E: by 'waiting', I mean given up hope altogether.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

Cause it's good dangit. Really good.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Ziploc posted:

Cause it's good dangit. Really good.
It really is. I need to hook up my wheel with Assetto Corsa but LFS in my mind has had the best tire modeling as well as car "feel" of any racing game I've ever played, and I've played drat near every racing sim on PC.

There was just something amazing about the FOX that felt like it was really fast, driving on the edge of traction and yet you always knew where that was. If the back end started to come out you could collect it in a controlled manner and not instantly end up spun like most games.

It is sad that they haven't updated it in ages because it could be so much more amazing than it already is with a little bit of loving and some content to make people come back and play it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, I deliberately stopped talking about LFS because I felt like I was mentioning it every post. It's fun to hop on and race around with some Brazilian and German dudes on a weekend afternoon even though anyone that's playing it has taken every turn in every car about a million times by now.

It's a very convincing simulator -- you really feel in control.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Would it make sense to use flight pedals (not the rudder axis, but the left and right toe axis) for a racing game in lieu of real driving pedals? Does anyone have any experience doing so?

I'd use these: http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/compedals.html

I know that ideally I'd get a proper wheel and pedals, but I have spent way too much money on my flightsim setup this year already and now I want to drive aswell, AAAAAAAAAAAH help me :v:

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 29, 2013

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it could work, the biggest difference I see is that you won't have the different resistance between the gas and brake pedals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone with some spare time and access to the team member builds of PCARS should give the BAC Mono a spin. Be sure to create a custom setup and select the Kumho tires based on the new poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, it took some effort, but I finally have an issue with iRacing. The cost of each car and track is pretty pricey and could maybe come down some, but I'm ok with that and coming from Forza 4 the amount of douchebags this prevents from playing is readily apparent. However, making me buy cars and tracks before I can spectate my friends is dumb as hell. It seems to me that you could sell those cars and tracks much easier if you let people watch any race for free, but maybe that's why I don't run a video game studio.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm always irked by Assetto Corsa when I spin out and when the car reaches 0mph, the physics turn off and no suspension rebound happens. It's... weird.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ziploc posted:

I'm always irked by Assetto Corsa when I spin out and when the car reaches 0mph, the physics turn off and no suspension rebound happens. It's... weird.

They've acknowledged that and said they're working on it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

If you're talking about previously having a less than ideal Fanatec wheel stand, it's now very good. The initial run of them did have an issue where the main bolt on the stem would not self-fit into the hole on the foot/crossbar piece and they wouldn't be very tight which resulted in wobbling. It's been fixed (or at least made less easy to do wrong during assembly.) Mine's rock solid. That's a great price.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LFS would have had the greatest potential, if they had made it modding friendly instead of leaving it withering.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Edit: Never mind, answered my own dumb question.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Someone will be behind you wanting to pass, you think about that instead of the next corner and next thing you know, you're spinning and going off the track. The important part of practice is taking what you've done in testing and making sure you can still do it when you are around other people. This might all sound kind of basic, but it's something you have to keep in mind when going from one sim where it's a crashfest because no one cares to iRacing where everyone wants to be clean all the time so they can keep racing the spec they want.

This is exactly what keeps happening to me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A long while ago I had the chance to drive some high powered Seat across Spa. One of the first things the copilot told me is to ignore anything in the rear view (it was open track day, so there were Porsches and all). It'd be in their responsibility to get safely past me, unless I'd be intentionally a dick on track. I suppose it's the same in real races.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yup, exactly that, that's how you deal with people in iRacing.

Also, if they are right up your rear end going into a corner, let them pass and keep your line, keep your head, 9 times out of 10 they will slightly overshoot the corner and you re pass them straight away.

Last corner on Laguna Seca is a classic for this, let them pass, you'll be taking the right line and they won't, then the straight to the next corner destroys them.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 1, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

David Pratt posted:

This is exactly what keeps happening to me.

Like combat pretzel said, ignore anyone behind you. It's their job to pass. Just like in real life, getting rear-ended is the fault of the person behind. Just focus on your drive. The only thing to worry about is when someone is right on you.

Chances are their braking point just happens to be past yours. They also don't realize how fast they are going because of the draft. Most of the time in lower splits you can just move over and watch them plow through the corner. Or watch them lock Em up and spin out behind you.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just played Assetto Corsa's beta for the first time and oh my goodness do some of the cars feel incredible to drive. The Ferrari and BMW GT3 in particular are really really fun and feel fantastic. The formula abarth is also really awesome, but the turbo charger can catch me off guard a lot, accelerating out of some of the slower corners requires more attention than usual. You can also push cars over the limit quite a bit without spinning out, which is great and reminds me of LFS (like others have said).

Really really impressed with it, far more than I am with iRacing or Project CARS.

ps death 2 iracing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Brownie posted:

You can also push cars over the limit quite a bit without spinning out, which is great and reminds me of LFS (like others have said).

I think this is normal when you start messing with sims that try to simulate street tires on street cars. They're meant to have soft limits that you can play around with.

• Locked thread