Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Except Tetra Master sucks and Triple Triad is the best (if you omit the bullshit rules.)

I'll still take bullshit rules over simply obtuse and downright unknowable mechanics.

Hey yeah that's cool, you like what you like and I'll like what I like. And I like IX's card game, and Memoria had some rad card battles. For all three of us that like that games card game.

VIII's card game is fun though. I'm to understand there's a way to grind the rules out, but I never cared to try. And regardless of which card game is better, both are still better than BlitzBall Manager Sim in X-2. I didn't care much for blitzball personally, but it was still a mini game.

Hey guys remember when Final Fantasy had a mini game tied to a button that every NPC is a part of? Those were the days. If XV can do one thing to make itself the most well recieved game in the series since X, it would be having a mini game tied to a button. XII's fishing game kinda totally sucked, and the closest XIII got was... I guess that weird part where you control a Juggernaut while Hope rides it. It sorta seems like they planned to have that show up again, but they couldn't figure out where to stick it on Pulse, and then kinda forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cloche posted:

Snow was just so awful. Not even Troy Baker could salvage that character and make him vaguely likeable.

There were moments where seemed like a likeable human being, but that was 100% just bleed off from Troy Baker's acting and natural likability coming through the script. Snow is the one character in XIII who gets worse once you know the full story. I am still in awe of how many people get killed over the course of the game thanks to his blithe stupidity and arrogance. I'm pretty sure everyone in Bodhum, Palumpolum, and the majority of the population of Eden are all bullet-riddled corpses thanks to him...

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Tae posted:

I thought it was obvious they're a mob/Yakuza company?

Sure, but do the mob have one designated fashion outlet?

Also, lots of strange opinions on height in this thread; Snow puts you off because he's a lot taller than his wife? :stare: I can buy perhaps that Serah looks prepubescent, but that would be the same problem if Snow was 6'1 or 4'8. Is there some sort of designated height range people are allowed to have relationships in? I'm 6'4, my wife's 5'0, should we just call it quits now to avoid creeping sensitive people out?

Also, Tetra Master was a blast, Triple Triad was painful and they implemented it in the worst possible way.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Sure, but do the mob have one designated fashion outlet?

Also, lots of strange opinions on height in this thread; Snow puts you off because he's a lot taller than his wife? :stare: I can buy perhaps that Serah looks prepubescent, but that would be the same problem if Snow was 6'1 or 4'8. Is there some sort of designated height range people are allowed to have relationships in? I'm 6'4, my wife's 5'0, should we just call it quits now to avoid creeping sensitive people out?

Also, Tetra Master was a blast, Triple Triad was painful and they implemented it in the worst possible way.

In real life you can usually tell people's ages despite height differences. It's fiction, someone designed Serah to look fifteen and Snow twenty-something.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Sure, but their height isn't what generates the impression of a huge age discrepancy, it's the sum of their mannerisms and impressions. Like I say, Serah would have still seemed like a little child is Snow had been a grizzled 5'4. Suggesting that the problem is that they shouldn't have designed characters with a perfectly legitimate height difference, vs., they shouldn't have designed characters that look like terrible anime stereotypes of a 12 year old kid is kind of silly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lumina from Lightning Returns was designed with a 12-year old girl in mind, according to interviews, and she looks almost exactly like Serah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

There were moments where seemed like a likeable human being, but that was 100% just bleed off from Troy Baker's acting and natural likability coming through the script. Snow is the one character in XIII who gets worse once you know the full story. I am still in awe of how many people get killed over the course of the game thanks to his blithe stupidity and arrogance. I'm pretty sure everyone in Bodhum, Palumpolum, and the majority of the population of Eden are all bullet-riddled corpses thanks to him...

...he did absolutely nothing except give a bunch of people resigned to death the chance to live. Snow was overzealous to be sure, he admits that, but the whole point of his and Hope's subplot is that Snow really can't be blamed for a lot of what happened. Hope just blamed him because it was easy and he was traumatized over losing his mother.
Fact is, NORA is still around at the end of the game. Snow's buddies all still have faith in him and they're not dead.

Snow was the only character I could relate to in XIII because the greatest motivation to do anything is love. I can buy a hero doing ridiculous quests for it, I can believe a villain doing great evil for it. Snow was just doing his best to try and save the woman he loved.

Sazh wanting to help his son and Hope being distraught over the loss of his mother I can appreciate but I never really cared. Lightning was just a needlessly violent bitch, Feng was bland and introduced way too late for me to give a gently caress, and Vanille was Vanille.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 28, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Sure, but their height isn't what generates the impression of a huge age discrepancy, it's the sum of their mannerisms and impressions. Like I say, Serah would have still seemed like a little child is Snow had been a grizzled 5'4. Suggesting that the problem is that they shouldn't have designed characters with a perfectly legitimate height difference, vs., they shouldn't have designed characters that look like terrible anime stereotypes of a 12 year old kid is kind of silly.

It is definitely part of creating that impression with the art style they went with, but no, not the problem in itself. Relax, no one here is sneering at you and your wife or any other real life couple.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it was only the height difference. Her face and body shape contribute, because he looks late-20s and in that fireworks scene, the difference in everything is so vast that it looks like he's romancing a preteen in his lap.

NikkolasKing posted:

Lightning was just a needlessly violent bitch
She falls under the same umbrellas as Hope, really. She has a chip on her shoulder about the Snow/Serah relationship, which we just saw most people can sympathize with, and blames him for Serah getting crystalized. Maybe I just enjoy bitchiness.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mustach posted:

She falls under the same umbrellas as Hope, really. She has a chip on her shoulder about the Snow/Serah relationship, which we just saw most people can sympathize with, and blames him for Serah getting crystalized. Maybe I just enjoy bitchiness.

Worst birthday ever. :mad:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought Lightning's attitude was completely justified. Her entire life was turned upside down because of the Fal'cie and now she's stuck with a band of assholes, including the one that wants to marry her sister.

Mr. Maltose posted:

One step closer to a JRPG with full Modern Business attire.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Momomo posted:

I thought Lightning's attitude was completely justified. Her entire life was turned upside down because of the Fal'cie and now she's stuck with a band of assholes, including the one that wants to marry her sister.

Too much. This is too much anime.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Full modern business attire RPG would be a Turks game, not that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wendell posted:

Full modern business attire RPG would be a Turks game, not that.

That already happened and nobody cared. :(

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ladies also in Business attire. Like, 80's box shoulder power suits.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Momomo posted:

So what was her excuse for having exactly the same personality before the Fal'Cie?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

So what was her excuse for having exactly the same personality before the Fal'Cie?

Not enough hugs as a child.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Krad posted:

Taking care of her 16-Year Old sister meanwhile some rear end in a top hat walks in trying to marry her and make a name as a hero by fighting in a local warzone with his idiotically named group.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That was the thing that immediately turned me off from FF13. Snow's gaggle of idiots with awful anime hair and terrible anime clothes exchanging silly anime banter in the middle of a gun battle.

FF13 had some serious issues with tone.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Krad posted:

Worst birthday ever. :mad:

Have you seen what Snow and Serah prepared? Salad. That's it. There's two giant bowls of salad and, like, a single flute of probably some poo poo-quality chardonnay. You chose this moment to reveal to your sister (who, let's face it was probably a bitch before the game, too, meaning you should try even harder to butter her up) that you're getting married to someone she views as a colossal manchild, and you serve salad? Yeah, I'd be pissed.

I'm no XII apologist, but come on, that was a really bad birthday.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fister Roboto posted:

That was the thing that immediately turned me off from FF13. Snow's gaggle of idiots with awful anime hair and terrible anime clothes exchanging silly anime banter in the middle of a gun battle.

You have no idea how good it felt to watch Light punch Snow in the face and call him out as the wannabe hero he was. And it even happens twice! :allears:

Coughing Hobo posted:

Have you seen what Snow and Serah prepared? Salad. That's it. There's two giant bowls of salad and, like, a single flute of probably some poo poo-quality chardonnay. You chose this moment to reveal to your sister (who, let's face it was probably a bitch before the game, too, meaning you should try even harder to butter her up) that you're getting married to someone she views as a colossal manchild, and you serve salad? Yeah, I'd be pissed.

Also, this. Of all the days to tell your sister that you're getting married to someone that you know she doesn't like, you pick her birthday? At least Snow(?) had the thought to get her the combat knife as a present, for all the good it did.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 28, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Coughing Hobo posted:

In their defense, she doesn't look like someone who would eat anything other than salad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Her personality was only like that around Snow. You see scenes of her with other people (her commander dude she ends up DLC fighting with in III-2 for example) where she's a lot less pissed off. She's just pissy around Snow because he is a giant weirdo almost-hobo who wants to marry her sister. Of all the reasons to be pissed off in FFXIII, I think that's probably the most sympathetic.

Seriously, Snow may be the worst possible husband material in the history of husband materials.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Artix posted:

At least Snow(?) had the thought to get her the combat knife as a present, for all the good it did.

That was Serah's gift. You would know this if you had read the datalog or the novels (Which are only available as fan translations). :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Veks posted:

That was Serah's gift. You would know this if you had read the datalog or the novels (Which are only available as fan translations). :v:

I even read the datalogs and poo poo. :eng99:

In my defense, it's probably been like 3 or 4 years since I've played the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veks posted:

They mention it in-game. Lightning even calls it a practical gift. (Also seriously, it's in a giant floral pink box, it ain't exactly screaming Snow.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 28, 2013

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Veks posted:

I think Snow mentions it to Hope that it was Serah's gift to Lightning after their dramatic confrontation.

Also, why couldn't Serah just rip off her bandage and show Lightning the brand? The way the public seemed to react to l'cie made it seem like no one would believe it just like that coupled with casually mentioning you're marrying Snow.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Artix posted:

Also, this. Of all the days to tell your sister that you're getting married to someone that you know she doesn't like, you pick her birthday? At least Snow(?) had the thought to get her the combat knife as a present, for all the good it did.

Actually, Lightning Returns endgame spoilers: Her final attack against the final boss is first using Hope's limit break from FF13, Last Resort... and then stabbing him in the face with the knife. :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't know if you're joking

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Terper posted:

Actually, Lightning Returns endgame spoilers: Her final attack against the final boss is first using Hope's limit break from FF13, Last Resort... and then stabbing him in the face with the knife. :v:

That has to be a joke. I cannot tell parody from reality any more. :psyboom:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

Please be true, I so want it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Come on, sweeties, you know I'd never lie to you.

http://i.imgur.com/1kMgZaX.png
http://i.imgur.com/8tDVsJ5.png

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GOTY.

Lightning Returns is going to be insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I don't know what you're on about. Killing god by stabbing him in the face with a knife is the most Final Fantasy thing I can think of. That poo poo does 9999 damage when thrown.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning Returns is one of my most anticipated 2014 release, I am being completely serious.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Lightning Returns is one of my most anticipated 2014 release, I am being completely serious.

I am so sorry for you.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This game is going to be a goddamn trainwreck and I am going to love every second of it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
drat, I really hope pokecapn and the posse rise from the dead to LP this game, because there's no way I'm buying it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I don't know what you're on about. Killing god by stabbing him in the face with a knife is the most Final Fantasy thing I can think of. That poo poo does 9999 damage when thrown.

Except a knife does jack poo poo compared to a spoon. :colbert:

Lightning probably would've liked her knife more if Hope actually used it to kill Snow like he was going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mega64 posted:

Except a knife does jack poo poo compared to a spoon. :colbert:
Nah, whoever translated IV the first time just had a spoon obsession. It's always been a knife. (Sadly?)