Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked that the dead lake was the Gov's soul. I like how they showed a bait worm right before they found the campers. I liked the gunhole in the roof of the camper that the Gov could not fix. Martinez's drunk speech on the camper and the aftermath was creepy and well done. Martinez found the Gov in a pit, and the Gov leaves Martinez in a pit. The zombies stuck in the mud were fantastic. The Gov cannot escape because HE is a zombie stuck in the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouzo On Ice
Jun 21, 2005

zoux posted:

Haha he is a pirate.

Snake Plissken, I heard you were dead.

Ouzo On Ice fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 27, 2013

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My favourite part of the episode in fact was the opening sequence with him playing chess with the little girl with the intense music. I found it remarkably strong.

Adding to the list of favourite Season 4 Zombies :
-Bear Trap Zombie
-Bathtub Zombie
-Head-Split Zombie
-Intubator Zombie

New Additions:
-Mudfest Zombies
-Permadrowning Zombie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah and then they cut to the wide shot were we see the clothes line is supported on one side by a tank! Peaceful domesticity is inextricably tied to mechanized violence and also echoing the fight going on on the chess board.

By the way those chess pieces a cool. They are remakes of ancient chess pieces found in Scotland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_chessmen

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 27, 2013

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

euphronius posted:

I liked that the dead lake was the Gov's soul. I like how they showed a bait worm right before they found the campers. I liked the gunhole in the roof of the camper that the Gov could not fix. Martinez's drunk speech on the camper and the aftermath was creepy and well done. Martinez found the Gov in a pit, and the Gov leaves Martinez in a pit. The zombies stuck in the mud were fantastic. The Gov cannot escape because HE is a zombie stuck in the mud.
Great observations. Hadn't thought of these yet. Really strong episode.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

euphronius posted:

No, Brian, you are the demons. And then the Governor was a zombie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I found a shot of the show's Lewis Chess pieces

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

I found a shot of the show's Lewis Chess pieces

Just read the wikipedia article about them. What a neat cultural artifact. It seems like there's more expression in those guys than the mosaics or illuminated manuscripts of the period that I've seen.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Buzkashi posted:

No, Brian, you are the demons. And then the Governor was a zombie.

Is this criticism, or just a joke? I'm not sure.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

rypakal posted:

The writers made that decision because the studio demanded the set be used in season 4. I suspect that will turn out to be the primary cause of Mazarras departure, just like Darabont. AMCs television department is a train wreck.

AMC also made the decision not to kill the Governor— he was originally going to die at the end of Season 3.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

zoux posted:

You know critical and audience response for these last two episodes has been pretty good actually.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but audience response does not mean much.
Case in point... again: The Following was renewed and got decent ratings.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but audience response does not mean much.
Case in point... again: The Following was renewed and got decent ratings.

Jesus loving christ please shut up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are your best shows on TV now Fog Tripper.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I did really like the scene where he's playing chess with the girl and he suddenly stops with a distant look in his eyes. Then he says he's, "thinking". The next shot shows him standing between a tank and a camper. Definitely some cool symbolism there, that's not too overt.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

euphronius posted:

Big Bang Theory :colbert:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mexcillent posted:

Or, it could be that the show had a significant problem with quality under Mazarra's tenure (because it did).

Why not both?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

I did really like the scene where he's playing chess with the girl and he suddenly stops with a distant look in his eyes. Then he says he's, "thinking". The next shot shows him standing between a tank and a camper. Definitely some cool symbolism there, that's not too overt.

I think the best moments in the show are nearly always the cold opens. They function almost like short stories, and also offer an engaging hook to lead into the episode. This means they're often stark character portraits, or interesting set pieces. I agree with you about this one in particular, a very fun reveal that's a genuine "holy poo poo!" moment.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

Justified, Community, New Girl... why?

Mexcillent posted:

Jesus loving christ please shut up

What the hell is wrong with you? You've done nothing but bitch about other people's opinions since you waltzed in here a few weeks ago.

Mexcillent posted:

You guys are idiots it was ok. Way better than Season 3's premiere.

Mexcillent posted:

These are pretty dumb complaints.

Mexcillent posted:

You're an idiot and I can't wait for you to be proven wrong.

Mexcillent posted:

Incessant bitching about the show on the stupidest grounds come from your fantasizing about living through it, eh.

Mexcillent posted:

Anyone who didn't like this episode is an idiot.

Mexcillent posted:

Yeah god drat you guys for spending two episodes humanizing a guy, this internet poster hates assholes with superiority complexes and

Yeah, perhaps you should take your own advice.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 28, 2013

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fog Tripper and Mexcillent, literally every post you two make is reported. Usually by each other. Both of you just put each other on ignore or shut up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really liked the first Governor episode. Regardless of his past, it was a good story about a man travelling alone and finding new purpose in life. I realized that's what the show should have been all along instead of a camp full of retarded people who constantly argue with/kill each other and get attacked in the most arbitrary ways.

Then the second episode rolled around and it was all "yep, this sure is Walking Dead again" :v:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Best part of last episode was the cold opening (many of them are indeed amazing) and when they went to the outhouse, discovering new places.

I kind of cringed at the golf scene. I know he was supposed to be totally wasted, but this was just annoying (watching this as a golfer myself).
Also, would YOU go fetch the balls you just hit when you run out? (during a Zombie Apocalypse that is)

(PS : On the other side, I totally LOVED the scene in SG-1 when Jack O'Neill took some golf shots through the Stargate, with the obvious smirk 'this must be some kind of record')

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Fog Tripper and Mexcillent, literally every post you two make is reported. Usually by each other.

This thread is really good

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^ I actually laughed pretty hard at that comment too.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

Astroman posted:

Keep in mind too that Rick is starting to feel the prison isn't so safe. They have threats from the inside (Carol and people who might share her absolutist attitude; the flu) and mass hordes on the outside they can't defend from. A strong attack from the Governor might get them to leave the prison and search for greener pastures.

I wonder...why don't they just find an island? Zombies can't swim. Surely they could go on the road and find some island in another state or something. Or are there lakes in GA?

What happened to that .50 cal from season 3? Why aren't they putting spike traps like in "Clear"? They seem to have plenty of rats. They had like 3 months. Its pretty lame to just reinforce chain link fences with wood when they know that there are mobs all over the place that could overwhelm them. You'd think with the manpower, reinforcing the prison, not just the entrance, would be a priority over having a farm.

Based on the the fact that Atlanta area was the starting location for most of them, it would take them about 450 miles to get to the Georgia coast. They then have a pick of many islands. It doesn't even matter which county. If they are on the coast, there are islands everywhere.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kombotron posted:

What happened to that .50 cal from season 3? Why aren't they putting spike traps like in "Clear"? They seem to have plenty of rats. They had like 3 months. Its pretty lame to just reinforce chain link fences with wood when they know that there are mobs all over the place that could overwhelm them. You'd think with the manpower, reinforcing the prison, not just the entrance, would be a priority over having a farm.

Based on the the fact that Atlanta area was the starting location for most of them, it would take them about 450 miles to get to the Georgia coast. They then have a pick of many islands. It doesn't even matter which county. If they are on the coast, there are islands everywhere.

It's about 250 miles to Savannah from Atlanta, about an extra 50 if you want to go to the barrier islands like Skidaway, St. Simons, or Jekyll.

Ouzo On Ice
Jun 21, 2005
Is it even a given that zombies can't pass through water in this universe? In "World War Z", zombies would just wander along the bottoms of lakes until they eventually walked out the other side. In the book, there are reports of Chinese fishermen being pulled from their boats.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

It's about 250 miles to Savannah from Atlanta, about an extra 50 if you want to go to the barrier islands like Skidaway, St. Simons, or Jekyll.

Considering that traveling 50 miles, in what looked like the wooded parts of Macon county (I think), you are bound to run into a mob, the chance of 24 people making it to the heavily populated coast doesn't sound so good.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
How many people that were new additions to season 4 are even left? Is it just Bob?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kombotron posted:

Considering that traveling 50 miles, in what looked like the wooded parts of Macon county (I think), you are bound to run into a mob, the chance of 24 people making it to the heavily populated coast doesn't sound so good.

They said they were going to double back towards Newnan, which is a lot farther west than Macon county. I figured they couldn't have been much further west than Meriwether/Upson, but I have no idea where the prison itself is located at. In any case, without use of the interstates they'd have one hell of a time trying to get to Savannah or anywhere on the coast without I-20, I-16, or I-95. Macon/Warner Robins is right out due to the population and the Air Force base there, so they'd have to bypass them and go south all the way to probably Houston/Dooly/Crisp counties then go east. There's no civilization in that part of Georgia when there ISN'T a zombie apocalypse, so imagine how bad it'd be when you have to worry more about the landscape and wildlife than you would walkers.

They'd probably be better off going down to Valdosta then heading east through the Okefenokee if they wanted to get to the coast.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kasonic posted:

How many people that were new additions to season 4 are even left? Is it just Bob?

The weird little girl and at least one unnamed boy. I imagine they're going to play fast and loose with Woodburians so they have more unnamed people to kill off as they see fit.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

They said they were going to double back towards Newnan, which is a lot farther west than Macon county. I figured they couldn't have been much further west than Meriwether/Upson, but I have no idea where the prison itself is located at. In any case, without use of the interstates they'd have one hell of a time trying to get to Savannah or anywhere on the coast without I-20, I-16, or I-95. Macon/Warner Robins is right out due to the population and the Air Force base there, so they'd have to bypass them and go south all the way to probably Houston/Dooly/Crisp counties then go east. There's no civilization in that part of Georgia when there ISN'T a zombie apocalypse, so imagine how bad it'd be when you have to worry more about the landscape and wildlife than you would walkers.

They'd probably be better off going down to Valdosta then heading east through the Okefenokee if they wanted to get to the coast.

Holy poo poo they traveled about 65 miles (if we are counting Atlanta as the start point) in 1.5 (in show) years.

They will never see the coast.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kombotron posted:

Holy poo poo they traveled about 65 miles (if we are counting Atlanta as the start point) in 1.5 (in show) years.

They will never see the coast.

Which is funny because Hershel's farm is geographically north of Atlanta. That one scene when Glenn was cruising on the interstate in the red convertible was on I-85 southbound, but he was heading north on it. So they left Atlanta, went northeast of the city to the farm, then went AROUND ATLANTA during their 8 months or so of wandering during the winter, and somehow ended up southwest of the city by about 60 miles? Did no one have any idea where they were heading? This group of presumably Georgia natives have no idea where they were going? Hell, I've lived here my entire life and I could still navigate around the state (even parts I've never been to) well enough to at least go in the general direction of my destination just due to knowing where certain cities are located at.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

HonorableTB posted:

Which is funny because Hershel's farm is geographically north of Atlanta. That one scene when Glenn was cruising on the interstate in the red convertible was on I-85 southbound, but he was heading north on it. So they left Atlanta, went northeast of the city to the farm, then went AROUND ATLANTA during their 8 months or so of wandering during the winter, and somehow ended up southwest of the city by about 60 miles? Did no one have any idea where they were heading? This group of presumably Georgia natives have no idea where they were going? Hell, I've lived here my entire life and I could still navigate around the state (even parts I've never been to) well enough to at least go in the general direction of my destination just due to knowing where certain cities are located at.

They mentioned at the beginning of season 3 that they'd spent the winter trying to travel in different directions and were blocked every time by hoards they couldn't get through. They were actually on their way back through the area heading towards the coast when they stumbled upon the prison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I also don't think that they had any real plan for movement after season 2 other than get out of the way of the zombie herds.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

HonorableTB posted:

After fleeing the farm I figured they bounced from place to place just trying to survive with no specific direction or goal in mind. I don't think they were lost or couldn't find where they were going, they just followed the path of least resistance before eventually rolling up at the prison and deciding that was as good as it was going to get.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
My only problem with the last episode is Kirk Acevedo not shanking the Gov when he had a chance.

Oh you killed my brother, that's cool don't worry about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He knew his brother was weak. They were at odds the whole episode.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

My only problem with the last episode is Kirk Acevedo not shanking the Gov when he had a chance.

Hey man, brothers are a dime a dozen; it's no biggie. Much better to trust a man you've known for almost three whole days with no demonstrated skills other than murdering your own group members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mooseontheloose posted:

He's a lot more level headed these days.

Its gonna be a slow cautious approach with finely grounded glass in the gov's food over time until he internally bleeds to death.

• Locked thread