Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Factor_VIII posted:

Xan can't cast Evocation spells though. Which mean no Chromatic Orb, Web or Fireball.

Eh, losing out on Chromatic or Fireball isn't a big deal and level 2 is full of useful spells, so losing out one isn't that bad (Glitterdust is more OP anyway).

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Trying to move over to BG:EE from our BGT BG1 game, but Cooked is crashing when waiting in the lobby as the host of the game (as I try to join). Any ideas what's up with that?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there a Neera romance in bg2? And if there is, is it less weird than the original ones?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Nuclear War posted:

Is there a Neera romance in bg2? And if there is, is it less weird than the original ones?

The romance is a lot less melodramatic than the others until the VERY END of ToB. Its still pretty weird, but no worse than the others.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Thats pretty cool, does it also develop the character any? If it does, and it can be started if I didn't have Neera with me in bg1, I'm sold

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Rolled a 94 on my BGI Cavalier! Let's see how long I can Ironman a PC which permits no ranged weapons.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nuclear War posted:

Thats pretty cool, does it also develop the character any? If it does, and it can be started if I didn't have Neera with me in bg1, I'm sold

Somewhat. It gives a little insight on what her life has been like.

Also yes, you can start any romance regardless of if they were in your party.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Rolled a 94 on my BGI Cavalier! Let's see how long I can Ironman a PC which permits no ranged weapons.

Should be fairly easy if you get the ankheg plate and Ring of Princes +1 as early as possible (and aren't soloing, obviously).

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Accretionist posted:

You can use throwing axes (and daggers, I think) - the weight is a bit of a pain, but it makes the early game go a bit smoother. Throwing daggers are actually very strong in BGEE with specialization and high strenght, though there are no magical ones. You can get a returning throwing axe +2, but that's fairly late in the game.

verybad fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 28, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Accretionist posted:

Cavaliers are immune to poison, which is a pretty big threat in BG1, so you've got that going for you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Cavaliers are immune to poison, which is a pretty big threat in BG1, so you've got that going for you.

Also pretty easy to achieve really high fire resistance early on making fire pot spam easy.

e: With a cavalier I like to grab the ring of free action or spider bane, and wear a ring of fire resistance + helm of defense. With those items equipped and your natural abilities you can just tard your Cavalier in and spam web/fireball on him all day. The enemies will get hosed by fireballs and web/entangles and your paladin will be safe thanks to his immunities.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 28, 2013

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

No kidding.

quote:

Baby Wyvern/Wyvern/Greater Wyvern: 5 hp/second for 20 seconds (save vs poison at -4 to avoid)
Giant Spider/Ettercap: 2 hp/second for 37 seconds (save vs poison to avoid)
Huge Spider: 2hp/round for 5 rounds (save vs poison at +1 to avoid)
Phase Spider: 5 hp/second for 20 seconds (save vs poison at -2 to avoid)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

verybad posted:

You can use throwing axes (and daggers, I think) - the weight is a bit of a pain, but it makes the early game go a bit smoother. Throwing daggers are actually very strong in BGEE with specialization and high strenght, though there are no magical ones. You can get a returning throwing axe +2, but that's fairly late in the game.
Thrown weapons have the disadvantage of having a shorter range than bows, slings and crossbows. For a cavalier that might actually be a good thing though, since he will move ahead of the party tanking enemies and drawing attacks that could otherwise be aimed at weaker characters. It's the reason I have mages use slings instead of darts though; a mage who likes to walk ahead of the rest of the party and then draw all enemy attacks to him won't have a very long career.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Thrown weapons have the disadvantage of having a shorter range than bows, slings and crossbows. For a cavalier that might actually be a good thing though, since he will move ahead of the party tanking enemies and drawing attacks that could otherwise be aimed at weaker characters. It's the reason I have mages use slings instead of darts though; a mage who likes to walk ahead of the rest of the party and then draw all enemy attacks to him won't have a very long career.

I think that's only darts, actually. I haven't noticed any problems with my druid using throwing daggers or Khalid with throwing axes.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Welp, that's why I don't try Ironman runs. My Jester moved Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron and Xvar north to get the Ankheg treasure. In spite of trying to avoid all combat everyone dies except my Jester. I pick up the loot, get Ajantis and run south. While travelling in the area south of the Friendly Arm Inn Ajantis is killed by a Gibberling that does 12 damage on a single hit and my Jester runs away straight into a group of kobolds. RIP.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

verybad posted:

I think that's only darts, actually. I haven't noticed any problems with my druid using throwing daggers or Khalid with throwing axes.
Oh, OK. Somehow I had gotten the impression it applied to all thrown weapons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Something that I've never heard mentioned explicitly is that the 2nd level cleric/druid spell Slow Poison basically works like the level 4 spell Neutralise Poison, in that it just gets rid of poison. By the rules it's supposed to make it not kick in for some hours, but in this game it just makes it go away. That's a huge deal, given the lethality of poison and how long it takes to get level 4 priestly spells. Plus, Cure Serious Wounds is a precious healing tool and 4th-level spell slots are a bit hard to come by.

Maybe it does delay the poison, but the poison runs out before the spell ends, so it effectively cures poison in a roundabout way. Either way, I'm thrilled - not having a poison cure until mid levels was horrible.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

JustJeff88 posted:

Something that I've never heard mentioned explicitly is that the 2nd level cleric/druid spell Slow Poison basically works like the level 4 spell Neutralise Poison, in that it just gets rid of poison. By the rules it's supposed to make it not kick in for some hours, but in this game it just makes it go away. That's a huge deal, given the lethality of poison and how long it takes to get level 4 priestly spells. Plus, Cure Serious Wounds is a precious healing tool and 4th-level spell slots are a bit hard to come by.

Maybe it does delay the poison, but the poison runs out before the spell ends, so it effectively cures poison in a roundabout way. Either way, I'm thrilled - not having a poison cure until mid levels was horrible.

Hah, I've never actually played DnD, so I've always wondered what the point of neutralize poison was when you already had slow poison doing what it does.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Nightblade posted:

Hah, I've never actually played DnD, so I've always wondered what the point of neutralize poison was when you already had slow poison doing what it does.
I guess that in Baldur's Gate Neutralize Poison has the added advantage of also healing 1-8 HP, thought I don't think that this is worth a 4th level spell slot.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Is the experience distribution in the Black Pits 2 seriously quest experience to each individual party member? I don't see why you would want to run less than a full party except for equipment budget reasons and masochism. Even then you can just run a Sorcerer or Monk or Archer in your last slots where equipment costs are virtually negligible save accessories.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm always amused by that assassin mage outside of the Friendly Arm, who could probably demolish most parties at that point except he picks a fight with you in an area where three or so guards will immediately stab him in the face.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Started a solo ironman game of fighter/mage/cleric. It ended due to getting charmed by a waylaid by enemies mage. Due to being solo getting charmed was game over. So playing that as a non ironman now. Even when solo having 3 classes takes so much xp to level up. I cannot imagine ever playing a 3 class multiclass in anything close to a full party. You are basically soaking up 3 characters worth of xp. Fighter/mage/cleric rocks pretty drat hard. Got some scrolls of tensers transformation and improved haste so the melee damage coming from me at this point is insane. stoneskin, draw upon holy might, righteous magic, improved haste, tensers transformation, completely shred anything that gets in my way. Once I get 7th level cleric spells will throw a regeneration on there as well. I'm getting close to the original SoA XP cap and going to cross over into high level abilities soon so that will be fun.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In BG2EE, when you right click the "shape shift wolf" to see it's stats, it gives you the description for barkskin instead, at least in my game right now. Really minor bug but still weird.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
^ Same thing happens for Dark Moon Monk's Frozen Fists ability (shows as Chill Touch)

I've never played Sword Coast Strategems or the Big World mod versions of Baldur's Gate but that guy never struck me as a really hard fight. All you have to do is Magic Missile Wand him every turn and restart if he gets Mirror Image off.

steakmancer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 29, 2013

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just bought BG:EE on the Steam Sale, since it's been a while since I played the first game. Are there any mods that I should use? I have already played it without mods so I'd like to try any gameplay/plot mods that would make the game a bit different.

Also, I'm planning to play as an Inquisitor, will I miss out any things if I play as a Lawful Good character? I'm used to neutral Mages in BG and BG2.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
For anyone thinking of an Ironman run, standing near Tazok if you get into the bandits and then confront him with the fact you know about Mulahey is enough to instantly kill CHARNAME in combat, and not from 'normal' damage, just insta-damage to death.

So err don't do that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Iggles posted:

My Jester moved Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron and Xvar north to get the Ankheg treasure. In spite of trying to avoid all combat everyone dies except my Jester. I pick up the loot, get Ajantis and run south. While travelling in the area south of the Friendly Arm Inn Ajantis is killed by a Gibberling that does 12 damage on a single hit and my Jester runs away straight into a group of kobolds. RIP.

baldursgate.txt right here.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

DeathChicken posted:

Note to self: That fighter/mage/hobgoblin archer trio southwest of Beregost can very easily end an Ironman run. Particularly the archer with his poison arrows. Argh.

Iggles posted:

Welp, that's why I don't try Ironman runs. My Jester moved Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron and Xvar north to get the Ankheg treasure. In spite of trying to avoid all combat everyone dies except my Jester. I pick up the loot, get Ajantis and run south. While travelling in the area south of the Friendly Arm Inn Ajantis is killed by a Gibberling that does 12 damage on a single hit and my Jester runs away straight into a group of kobolds. RIP.

Y'all should take your silly ironman attempts into the ironman thread proper, the more the merrier!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

JustJeff88 posted:

Slow poison just cures poison in BG. Neutralize poison cures pretty much any "physical" related ailment like disease, poison, blindness, deafness, and I think maybe even silence? It also recovers a little bit of HP.

The big thing to remember about slow and neutralize poison is that they're near instant cast. The "cure" spells are infamous for being kind of slow casts so you get interrupted while healing on the front line or people just die before they actually get off. I hardly ever use them in battle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Rascyc posted:

Slow poison just cures poison in BG. Neutralize poison cures pretty much any "physical" related ailment like disease, poison, blindness, deafness, and I think maybe even silence? It also recovers a little bit of HP.

The big thing to remember about slow and neutralize poison is that they're near instant cast. The "cure" spells are infamous for being kind of slow casts so you get interrupted while healing on the front line or people just die before they actually get off. I hardly ever use them in battle.

Good point - I'd forgotten that Neutralise Poison can cure disease.

Nightblade posted:

Well, in Pen & Paper 2nd ed Slow Poison did exactly that - it made a poison stop functioning and not set in for 8 hours or some such. Dubious usefulness, because one was relatively unlikely to find a cure in that time period. Also, there were no small number of instant-acting poisons and the only thing that one could do for those was hope to not fail the saving throw. In computer BG, all poisons (that I know of) do damager over time, so a quick-casting low-level universal priestly poison cure is a godsend (pun very much intended) and drat near necessary.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Going thru the stronghold maze on my solo f/m/c and got to the part where you were judged. The game freaked out and suddenly the judge was a mind flayer and instant killed me. I have no idea what is going on.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

JustJeff88 posted:

Good point - I'd forgotten that Neutralise Poison can cure disease.

Well, in Pen & Paper 2nd ed Slow Poison did exactly that - it made a poison stop functioning and not set in for 8 hours or some such. Dubious usefulness, because one was relatively unlikely to find a cure in that time period. Also, there were no small number of instant-acting poisons and the only thing that one could do for those was hope to not fail the saving throw. In computer BG, all poisons (that I know of) do damager over time, so a quick-casting low-level universal priestly poison cure is a godsend (pun very much intended) and drat near necessary.

Well, apart from the comically huge numbers of elixirs of health/antidotes about...

In my current run (which will be divine magic-less until I dual my Berserker -> Druid in BG2), I've realised just how little I used clerics for, and how much of the ways I used them were critically dull. Currently, if I need to fight I throw haste and emotion:hope (from the IWD BGEE mod) on with my mages, pop poison weapon with Dorn and Berserk with my PC and charge in. With clerics I'm always tempted to overbuff (do I need prot from evil? Probably not, but might as well... What about chant? Bless? Chuck them on too... etc), and never use them to heal unless in truly desperate straights (always too slow anyway) and instead plink away with a sling.

It feels at times as if clerics can pretty much be replaced wholesale with potions.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I killed Draconis with the instant kill effect of Chromatic Orb :shepface:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is doing a 2 person party through baldur's gate a doable thing? Or does splitting the experience two ways slow down the fast growth from a normal solo play too much, if you get what I mean?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

LibbyM posted:

Is doing a 2 person party through baldur's gate a doable thing? Or does splitting the experience two ways slow down the fast growth from a normal solo play too much, if you get what I mean?
It's fine. So is 3 people, and so is 4 people, etc.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nimbul: I am NIMBUL! Your death comes swiftly!

*Five Amnish guards parked around Nimbul fill him full of arrows*

This is becoming a trend.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Nimbul: I am NIMBUL! Your death comes swiftly!

*Five Amnish guards parked around Nimbul fill him full of arrows*

This is becoming a trend.

Doesn't he have boots of 90% missile avoidance? Probably for that exact reason.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

+5 boots. It did not save him from arrows coming from five directions.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How good is a Fighter/Cleric or Talos Cleric for a CHAR and Imoen run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Shadeoses posted:

How good is a Fighter/Cleric or Talos Cleric for a CHAR and Imoen run?

I feel Fighter/Cleric is pretty much the best class, synergistically, for a Bhaal Bros run. CHAR tanks like a fiend, dishing out insane damage, while Imoen finds traps and casts spells. Seriously, righteous magic on a f/c is so good it's broken.