Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Looking for a mens dress shoe in black, that has a grippy bottom as 60% of my time will be in a warehouse and the other 40 in a cubicle. I'm not looking to spend much more than $120 hoping to find a great deal somewhere on black Friday. This is my first real career type job and I wanna be comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
There's a shoe megathread, a boot megathread and a messenger bag megathread in YLLS.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
This is not so much a request for a recommendation as it is help finding a certain item:

I know there is a black scarf with a white pattern of guns (pistols, Ak-47s etc.) on it, out there somewhere. I can't find it, and if someone could I would really appreciate it!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Rogue status is the black on white guns apparel that you're thinking of

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever use a spray on your shoes to add traction? I can't really afford to go buy a new set of boots but I need to walk my puppy during the winter seasons and I would like to not be falling on my rear end every patch of ice. I've found a couple of products but they seem to be getting mixed reviews.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Similar boot question here. I'm going on vacation to somewhere ridiculously cold. It's going to reach like -20C while I am there. I have a pair of Doc Martin boots that I was hoping would be sufficient, but I don't think so anymore. However, I only stay there like 3-4 days, so I don't want to spend crazy money on a pair of boots useless to my normal Texas lifestyle.

What are my options? Can I just layer some good socks? And how can I improve my grip/traction since we're gonna be walking around a lot? I am terrible on ice in the few times I am somewhere cold enough to freeze. If I have to buy boots, what's the lowest price I could find for something adequate? Also, smaller is better since I am traveling to other places over the month and have to fit these into my suitcase.

Chinaman7000 has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Nov 28, 2013

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Timbuk2 or Chrome are the "standard" bags.

I don't know what the quality is like now, but I got a Timbuk2 around 1998 and I think it's going to survive the heat death of the universe. Amazingly robust.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Similar boot question here. I'm going on vacation to somewhere ridiculously cold. It's going to reach like -20C while I am there. I have a pair of Doc Martin boots that I was hoping would be sufficient, but I don't think so anymore. However, I only stay there like 3-4 days, so I don't want to spend crazy money on a pair of boots useless to my normal Texas lifestyle.

What are my options? Can I just layer some good socks? And how can I improve my grip/traction since we're gonna be walking around a lot? I am terrible on ice in the few times I am somewhere cold enough to freeze. If I have to buy boots, what's the lowest price I could find for something adequate? Also, smaller is better since I am traveling to other places over the month and have to fit these into my suitcase.

Will you be standing or walking around outside for extended periods? Will you be walking through deep snow or just on it?

Typically a single layer of thick sock is more effective than multiple thinner socks (multiple layers can interfere with breathability and the friction makes it much more likely you'll get blisters and compression spots), and wool is better than anything else. A couple of pairs of thick wool cold-weather hiking socks should be enough, assuming your Docs are still waterproof. If your DMs still have treads left then they're near to as good as a boot tread can get.

However, if you're going to be walking on sheet ice, you probably want to find a set of ice cleats, which are usually rubber overshoes that you stretch over a boot that have spikes on the bottom. Those will totally wreck anything that's not snow or ice though, and they're not something you'd want to be taking on or off very often so it really depends how much time you'll be spending outside on ice at a time.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Thanks, especially for the sock info. I feel reassured now. Don't think we will be spending a large amount of time on ice, but I really have no idea. I'll be in Harbin, China, which is a big popular tourist spot and I'm hoping they made it outsider and idiot friendly.

Chinaman7000 has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Nov 29, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Smiling Jack posted:

I don't know what the quality is like now, but I got a Timbuk2 around 1998 and I think it's going to survive the heat death of the universe. Amazingly robust.

Most of their bags are outsourced to China now. The only way to get the same older quality is to build a custom messenger which are still made in San Francisco.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Nov 29, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

Same here. I also just got a new, slightly bigger one like a week ago. It seems just as nice but obviously I have no idea how it will hold up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Buy these socks

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Most of their bags are outsourced to China now. The only way to get the same older quality is to build a custom messenger which are still made in San Francisco.

Just wanted to echo this. If you see their bags on sale at other retailers you are basically just buying the name and they won't live up to the brand's history.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

These are my go-to boots that work for cold weather and icy conditions, but aren't too hot to wear elsewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Mens-Renegade-Hiking-Espresso/dp/B0042ANB64/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1385748157&sr=8-5&keywords=lowa+renegade

For laptop-use messenger bags, this one has a fantastic laptop pocket that is TSA approved so you don't have to remove it when you fly. Simply zip the sides open and lay it flat. Worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068DTASQ/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_i2

Iucounu has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Mar 5, 2014

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

edit: nm

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!

Pron on VHS posted:

This is not so much a request for a recommendation as it is help finding a certain item:

I know there is a black scarf with a white pattern of guns (pistols, Ak-47s etc.) on it, out there somewhere. I can't find it, and if someone could I would really appreciate it!

Oh god I remember this scarf. I can't find it on google though, sorry. I seem to remember it having a silly name like "Revenge exploded" or something, and depicting an exploded view of tec9 parts. Sorry I'm not more help :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Iucounu posted:

For laptop-use messenger bags, this one has a fantastic laptop pocket that is TSA approved so you don't have to remove it when you fly. Simply zip the sides open and lay it flat. Worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068DTASQ/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_i2

I have a bag with the same feature and it's awesome, just as long as the security agent knows they're a thing. Occasionally I'll get an earfull about how I'm am idiot ignoring all the signs that say i have to take the laptop out of the bag :words: Otherwise it's a really convenient design.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Just wanted to echo this. If you see their bags on sale at other retailers you are basically just buying the name and they won't live up to the brand's history.

Burro bags makes their own bags in Jacksonville FL and they have a good reputation.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm looking for a decent case for a 7-inch tablet, preferably a trifold one I can fold back into a stand. I've been browsing etsy but I'm open to getting one that's not handmade. Ideally it would not be plain black and would come in colours or prints, but that bit is really the least important part.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
I'm looking for a nice bath robe for my wife. I have absolutely no idea how to choose one, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on a iPhone dock stereo system? Need to pump out some jams during my workouts.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Recommendations for a microphone set-up that's podcast-quality to hook up to my PC? Also a sound card. I want to record some clean audio of my own speech.

Also, is there a more specific thread I can ask about these types of recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dudebro posted:

Recommendations for a microphone set-up that's podcast-quality to hook up to my PC? Also a sound card. I want to record some clean audio of my own speech.

Also, is there a more specific thread I can ask about these types of recommendations?

The Home Recording Megathread might be a better place to ask.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dudebro posted:

Blue Snowball if you want cheap/easy. Hooks up over USB so you don't need an additional sound card. Not Howard Stern quality or whatever, but it's completely self-contained and good enough for any amateur work.

Recorded with Snowball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6ZmXDmfWo

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Dec 1, 2013

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on a iPhone dock stereo system? Need to pump out some jams during my workouts.

The Wirecutter says this wireless speaker is pretty good plus it is on sale with free shipping. Not the newest model but it is cheaper. The newer one is a bit louder and sounds better or something.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

bee burger posted:

The Wirecutter says this wireless speaker is pretty good plus it is on sale with free shipping. Not the newest model but it is cheaper. The newer one is a bit louder and sounds better or something.

That's a really good price.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Blue Snowball if you want cheap/easy. Hooks up over USB so you don't need an additional sound card. Not Howard Stern quality or whatever, but it's completely self-contained and good enough for any amateur work.

Recorded with Snowball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6ZmXDmfWo

That sounds pretty decent. Those mics that make your voice sound bassy, is it because they're capturing the natural bass in your voice or is it because of the mic? I want to be able to capture the bass in my goony voice, but I don't want a fake enhancement.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dudebro posted:

That sounds pretty decent. Those mics that make your voice sound bassy, is it because they're capturing the natural bass in your voice or is it because of the mic? I want to be able to capture the bass in my goony voice, but I don't want a fake enhancement.
It's a property of microphones called the proximity effect. It's something you can use to your advantage or not, depending on mic'ing distance, weighed against picking up more or less of your surrounding acoustics.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a property of microphones called the proximity effect. It's something you can use to your advantage or not, depending on mic'ing distance, weighed against picking up more or less of your surrounding acoustics.

Oh, I just want to direct and clear voice recording, not music. Just one speaker. Is it overkill to get something like the Heil mic that Leo Laporte uses?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dudebro posted:

Oh, I just want to direct and clear voice recording, not music. Just one speaker. Is it overkill to get something like the Heil mic that Leo Laporte uses?
I know and I'm not talking about music. I'm saying that if you see a video of someone demonstrating a mic and it sounds boomy, it's because they're pushing it into their face or vice versa. The mic could probably very well do non-boomy voice recording if they kept it a few inches from their face. Put a mic too far away and the proportion of reflections of your own voice bouncing back from the walls will increase in the recording (which in general is not desirable in voice recording).

I'm simply pointing out that it isn't as simple as saying "this mic is a boomy one, this one isn't".

I know nothing about Heil. I'm not a great fan of the Blue usb mics from the demos I've seen, but that's just personal preference, they're certainly ok. Audio-Technica used to have a few entry level usb mics that were fairly good, but I don't remember the model numbers.

In general any non-toy, non-telecom/computer type of mic between $75-$200 is going to do you reasonably right though, for your purposes. A lot of what you record is going to depend on the mic'ing technique you use.

EDIT Was thinking of the AT2020.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Dec 2, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dudebro posted:

The mic is barely off cam, but you can adjust where it is if you want more or less low-end from proximity. It records just fine a few feet away on a desk as well.

If you want a professional voice mic, you could always get something like a SM7B but it needs a pre and an interface.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

EDIT Was thinking of the AT2020.

If that's anywhere near the quality of the $100 Audio Technica headphones I have, it's probably great. I can't believe how good these things sound.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does anyone know if there is some kind of a simple, stack-able hexagonal shelf/storage solution that's similar to these cubes:

I might just get those cubes, but I'd prefer some cool-lookin' hexagons to help complete the transition of my apartment to a 1970's super-villain lair.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone know if there is some kind of a simple, stack-able hexagonal shelf/storage solution that's similar to these cubes:

I might just get those cubes, but I'd prefer some cool-lookin' hexagons to help complete the transition of my apartment to a 1970's super-villain lair.

Pretty sure I saw something very similar at Home Depot.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Okay, I think I'm going to get the Blue Yeti as a starter mic. I'm aiming to do some voiceover-type work, but getting anything more expensive is more sensible only down the line after getting some experience first. Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone.

The other thing I do need is a pop filter if anyone has any suggestions. I saw a helpful video on youtube where someone makes a filter out of an embroidery ring, pantyhose, and a few other cheap items. It would be great if the pop filter could attach to a desk edge.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My mom wants to buy this Electric Fireplace. Personally, I think this is somewhat ridiculous, but I was wondering if anyone has/knows someone who has one of these. Do the "flames" look as fake as I think they would? The heat would depend on the quality of the model, but I don't think it makes sense to place a space heater directly under a television, regardless.

Thanks!

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Beachcomber posted:

My mom wants to buy this Electric Fireplace. Personally, I think this is somewhat ridiculous, but I was wondering if anyone has/knows someone who has one of these. Do the "flames" look as fake as I think they would? The heat would depend on the quality of the model, but I don't think it makes sense to place a space heater directly under a television, regardless.

Electric fireplaces are as tacky as you imagine. I always got a laugh out of those Amish (electric) Fireplaces that have been popular for the last few years.

Look into gel alcohol fireplaces. Some are pretty modern and wall mounted, others are free standing and can be placed into an existing fireplace surround. You can make your own jellied alcohol easily in the kitchen, or just buy those Sterno-type cups. They can be burned indoors vent-free because they mostly produce water vapor. Two Sterno cans burn with the same BTUs as a 1500w electric heater.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Etrips posted:

Pretty sure I saw something very similar at Home Depot.

Well I looked online and didn't see anything, but maybe I'll pop into the one here to be sure.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well I looked online and didn't see anything, but maybe I'll pop into the one here to be sure.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...-5#.Up1R_uJdApM

I think this may have been it? Or something close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dudebro posted:

Okay, I think I'm going to get the Blue Yeti as a starter mic. I'm aiming to do some voiceover-type work, but getting anything more expensive is more sensible only down the line after getting some experience first. Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone.

The other thing I do need is a pop filter if anyone has any suggestions. I saw a helpful video on youtube where someone makes a filter out of an embroidery ring, pantyhose, and a few other cheap items. It would be great if the pop filter could attach to a desk edge.

They're all the same, just find one with a clip. It's literally a piece of mesh fabric over a loop, you can make one with a hangar and pantyhose.

• Locked thread