Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008
Oh geeze, finally reached the current comic, now I need to wait for new comics like everyone else.

Basically I've been hearing I should read Gunnerkrigg for ages, but I just sort of bookmarked it years ago and never actually started, I was bored a couple days ago and gave it a shot, and now here I am. I must say it is pretty great, and I will certainly bug various people I know to read it as well.

Really wish I'd started sooner, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Rey knows what he's talking about. Next thing Kat knows the Court Forrest is going to have some mysterious lady flirting and leading her on so they can capture her and prevent her from doing something unspecified for nonspecific reasons no one really knows. In the process she will kill a critter and be bound by their laws and a guilty conscience.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

That was my point exactly, yes.

The reason I was so hooked on Transmetropolitan when I read it initially was that this was a world so technologically far ahead of our own that it was insane, yet nothing else had changed at all. Same prejudice, same income inequality, same focus on shallow material gain... Technology didn't bring about a Star Trek type utopia, because you can't solve social issues with gimmicks. And no matter how much the world we live in changes, we'll stick to our old flaws unless we directly confront them.

Hey, gently caress you! Now I have to re-read Transmet. <:mad:>

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Podima posted:

Hey, gently caress you! Now I have to re-read Transmet. <:mad:>

Don't say it like it's a bad thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Let's face it: Kat is pretty weird.

It's not because she has a girlfriend, though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It might even be one of most normal things about her.

"I met a nice girl and now we're dating," sounds pedestrian compaired to "my best friend is a fire-elemental," or "all my other friends are robots who worship me as a cult figure."

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 28, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Skippy McPants posted:

"I met a nice girl and now we're dating,"

I accidentally read that as "I met a mice girl" and it still fit the context.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Kikas posted:

If anything, Paz is wierd, she can talk to animals, how is THAT normal?

You mean animals other than the wolf Kat is currently speaking to?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Hodgepodge posted:

You mean animals other than the wolf Kat is currently speaking to?

That's no animal, it's a demigod. :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He's not a wolf, he's a fox spirit in a wolf plush. A fox-in-wolf's-clothing.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cat Mattress posted:

"I met a mice girl"

Could legitimately still happen at some point in the future.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kat is mostly asking if it's weird that she's not seeing a bird.

As far as she knows.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Kat is mostly asking if it's weird that she's not seeing a bird.

As far as she knows.

You what mate? Kat IS seeing a bird.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Prison Warden posted:

. . . goddamn it. I just got the metajoke.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Prison Warden posted:

:staredog: :psyduck: :staredog:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Prison Warden posted:

Amazing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Man, it would be amazing if that whole thing was intentional subtext.

Good joke either way.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Prison Warden posted:

Oh you son of a bitch.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So Rey's basically saying that The Court is like some sort of hyper-liberal Canadian university.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm concerned about this, guys. I don't want Annie and Kat to stop being friends :ohdear:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Oh man are we really having a Very Special Episode of Gunnerkigg Court? I hope Rey's just messing with her. Annie was raised in a hospital in the UK somewhere around the late 90s/early 2000s, it wasn't exactly the deep south.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annie's just shopping for glasses for Kat. That's why Kat had her face so close to Paz, right? :3:

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Renard is the best. :3:

For all this set-up, I still think it's going to turn out to be misdirection and Annie will prove to be completely fine with it. If she's upset, it'll be about Kat not telling her and having to find out in such an awkward way.

Or I might be completely wrong. The comic is rarely very predictable, after all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Despite what Renard is saying I cannot see Annie having any issue with it at all. It would be... totally out of character for her.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

He has to be stalling for time while Annie does something awesome for Kat. Only explanation.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Rey's just stalling for time so Annie can finish up her 'Congratulations on your new sexual orientation!' banner, right? :ohdear:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Annie obviously realized that she left a big ole pizza in the oven, and is excited about it (the pizza).

I don't get the Kat is seeing a bird joke though.
OH I guess you're using "bird" to mean girl? That is sexist as gently caress tho.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red Bones posted:

Oh man are we really having a Very Special Episode of Gunnerkigg Court? I hope Rey's just messing with her. Annie was raised in a hospital in the UK somewhere around the late 90s/early 2000s, it wasn't exactly the deep south.

Renard is immortal(ish) and was locked up for a long-rear end time. His perceptions of human social mores are probably very outdated.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Darth Windu posted:

Annie obviously realized that she left a big ole pizza in the oven, and is excited about it (the pizza).

I don't get the Kat is seeing a bird joke though.
OH I guess you're using "bird" to mean girl? That is sexist as gently caress tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_slang#B

quote:

bird
1. Girl, woman.

Beat by your edit, in a sense.

Actually no, I'm just blind.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 29, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Annie - Green wood elf guys? Fair game. Same-sex (and same-species) couples? That's disgusting.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Wyld Karde posted:

Rey's just stalling for time so Annie can finish up her 'Congratulations on your new sexual orientation!' banner, right? :ohdear:

I doubt it's something this sappy. But I'm thinking Annie's doing something like moving out of their room because she thinks Kat will want to live with Paz now. Or some other plot development beyond "Annie is secretly a member of the Westboro Baptist Church."

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I really can't see Annie having a problem here. Renard's either letting her down so that when she's cool with it it'll feel even better or that stoic personality Tony gave her is throwing him off.

Darth Windu posted:

As sexist as calling a girl a chick? Don't think I've ever seen someone called a bird get offended.

VV Yeah, I'm sure we all know it was a bad pun and not a legit theory though. VV

Smoky Bandana fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 29, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You guys really need to stop with the into birds = into girls thing, it's like, tumblr-level stupid.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What did I tell you boys? Don't call broads chicks!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You guys really need to stop with the into birds = into girls thing, it's like, tumblr-level stupid.

It's... pretty common slang in some parts of the world, y'know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It's... pretty common slang in some parts of the world, y'know.

I'm aware, but it's also incredibly unlikely to be anything more than a coincidence, so it'd be really cool if you all stopped acting like you just noticed some clever foreshadowing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I'm aware, but it's also incredibly unlikely to be anything more than a coincidence, so it'd be really cool if you all stopped acting like you just noticed some clever foreshadowing.

I think most people are acting like it's an amusing funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I think most people are acting like it's an amusing funny.

Sorry, then. I've been seeing people make the connection in other communities as legitimate foreshadowing for over a year now, and thinking they're very clever.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So, one interesting thing to note is that this pretty much outs the Court as a transhumanist/posthumanist breakaway faction of humanity.

That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

eriktown posted:

So, one interesting thing to note is that this pretty much outs the Court as a transhumanist/posthumanist breakaway faction of humanity.

That's pretty cool.
They have an entire wing of the Court dedicated to teaching non-humans, so I assume you get past petty mundane prejudices fairly quickly there when you are constantly surrounded by the fantastic.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was some Fantasy Racism though.