Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The Neal! posted:

I lost the VIP in the mission Portent in Ironman. Is that going to have ramifications that prevent me from seeing new content? It's not too late for me to consider restarting

You'll be locked out of two missions on the Progeny arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

The Neal! posted:

I lost the VIP in the mission Portent in Ironman. Is that going to have ramifications that prevent me from seeing new content? It's not too late for me to consider restarting

It won't make the EXALT not show up, but you may have screwed yourself out of seeing the other two Progeny missions. They're.. really not worth restarting over.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Geight posted:

It won't make the EXALT not show up, but you may have screwed yourself out of seeing the other two Progeny missions. They're.. really not worth restarting over.

Cheers, I'll keep on truckin.

Lost 3 good men and women on that drat mission that amounted to nothing. loving Thin men.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The Neal! posted:

Cheers, I'll keep on truckin.

Lost 3 good men and women on that drat mission that amounted to nothing. loving Thin men.

If you overwatch creep on the way back (and cheese it a bit by memorizing the spawns) that mission's tedious but really easy.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
To answer the issue of aliens knowing your location: as far as I can figure out, they can tell your general area, much like you can, and it's probably got something to do with making sound while moving.

I base that on that, when you're on a roof, Sectoids inside will always move to the wall of the closest side. But I've also had plenty of incidents of aliens running from Fog into cover that isn't actually protecting him from where my guys are.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
They know exactly where you are. I literally just this minute had a Thin Man defog and flank a unit he had until that point never gotten LoS on. This actually used to be the norm on the now removed VIP mission from EU--if you didn't immediately clear the drop ins they would beeline to any units on the bridge that could be flanked even if they were outside LoS from the original spawner. I mean, think about what it would mean for an AI to be able to "tell your general area". That doesn't make sense and it's not ordinarily the sort of thing you could explain to a computer how to do in a meaningful way. The AI itself probably wouldn't function at all or be hilariously stupid if it didn't minimally know where every unit on the map was at all times.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
That's why you can open doors quietly instead of just barging through, yeah. Don't kick doors in or jump through windows if you want to do things on the down low.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Geight posted:

Watching the intro cinematic in the Zemalf video I noticed something - the guy fleeing from the abductor pod runs in front of a building with the EXALT logo on the front. I looked up a video of the Enemy Unknown version of the cinematic, and that logo is still there. :tinfoil:

Nope, it's not the Exalt logo.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
That sure is an eyeball staring at a butt.

Also the second Progeny mission can be incredibly tense, but it really depends on when it triggers. For example 2 days after the base assault and losing your MEC and sending half your A team to the sickbay with only half laser tech available makes for a fun map.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Attention Horse posted:

Nope, it's not the Exalt logo.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be their 'covert' logo, because it's featured on a few maps, including the building closest to the VIP in Progeny.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Just a reminder that Beagle's XCom stream will be up in ~30 minutes. It was good fun last week.
http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woozy posted:

Aliens absolutely do "know" where you are at all times. Ordinarily they're programmed to kind of pretend they don't--they won't typically throw grenades into fog, for exasmple, and with the exception of Sectopods they won't use AOE attacks to kill invisible units, but they also wont let you abuse line of sight to setup flanks and they'll hunt down exposed units that they haven't seen yet. Floaters and Seekers both will jump on Squad Sight Snipers, although the latter will pick a different target if they can't reach the far away units before their invisibility runs out.
Yeah, I will not believe that aliens don't have magic situational awareness of all units when I set up a group of soldiers outside a room on Overwatch, open the door and no matter how many times I retry, reload, with or without savescum on, and they will almost always run to the most effective cover places to avoid crossing overwatch on the units entirely outside of their LOS - often in a spot that flanks them if they're close enough as well.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What is the general opinion on overwatching before opening a door? I never really do it because I prefer having my full move. Do people just do it with snipers?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Hand Row posted:

What is the general opinion on overwatching before opening a door? I never really do it because I prefer having my full move. Do people just do it with snipers?

It prevents you from using abilities, which is how you'll generally be able to clear or seriously diminish a triggered group within your turn, so it's kind of pointless. Sure, you get to shoot at a bunch of enemies out of cover (at -15 penalty), but you can't direct your fire, can't move to face spitting flank distance if that'd have been a possibility, and can always run into the hilarity where they move behind your formation and then shoot you on their turn.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Beagle's about to start.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's completely worthless due to the overwatch aim penalty being identicle to low cover, and being locked out of abilities.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Mr Dog posted:

The four Furies (Anette + 3 randoms who I think always have the same names/faces) in the second half of EW, however, are guaranteed to be psychic, but the game spends about five base natters clubbing you around the head with hints to this effect.

The post-mission stuff about them says they have some sort of psi-enhancement thing going on? I brought one along with me on some missions, but didn't seem to get any bonus. Do you get a bonus to their will (or something) for bringing all of them along?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The best option (if you have two doors available) is to stack up on one door, and open the other door first.

The aliens will set up in cover with respect to the open door, so then you just open the other door and shoot them in the back.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The usefulness of overwatch is sort of situational and varies between difficulty levels. On classic it can usually be worth it to try to pin enemies to vulnerable tiles, but only if you have high cover and some ability or another that improves reaction fire in some way (there are tons). On impossible they'll just kill you, and normal is just a die-roll slugfest so there's no point in ever not taking the shot. With the (possible?) exception of Squad Sight Snipers, aliens will almost never trip reaction fire from fog, and instead will move one tile into your line of sight and take the shot from there. Also particularly dangerous is using overwatch to deny access to a useful tile. I don't know if the AI is smart enough to do this deliberately but like players they can take their turns one half at a time, and whether its intentional or not they will often bait reaction fire with one unit while the more exposed unit takes whatever tile you wanted to defend.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I re-did Deluge for about a week trying to get Annette as an Assault.
God drat I hate it when the game randomizes those things.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Superterranean posted:

The post-mission stuff about them says they have some sort of psi-enhancement thing going on? I brought one along with me on some missions, but didn't seem to get any bonus. Do you get a bonus to their will (or something) for bringing all of them along?

That is just Fluff related to how the Base Defense Mission was done, namely they allowed a Psi Alien to Mind Control from a large distance

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Woo! Won my classic ironman run. :dance:

Took a couple days shy of a year, although I could have shaved 3+ months off that if I hadn't sold all my UFO parts during a harsh mid-game cash crunch. I assume the global stats are all hacked to hell? It was saying the global average for scientists and engineers was over 600,000?

Tried to grab meld, but prioritized staying alive first. Had enough to get two level 2 mecs and throw memetic skin on my regular A-team late in the game. Other then that I didn't play with gene mods much. Next time I play I think I'll stick with one (punch) mec and try out the gene stuff more.

Lost 22 soldiers, but nearly all of those were in the first couple months.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Even a single MEC makes it hard to keep up with meld requirements for gene therapy, sadly. I don't know why the two are so terribly balanced. Augmentation is a quick process and MECs are super cheap to build initiatlly yet it takes forever to get a decent clone trooper up and running.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

I re-did Deluge for about a week trying to get Annette as an Assault.
God drat I hate it when the game randomizes those things.

She was a sniper in my game. She has pretty poor aim but snap-shot / in the zone / mimetic skin a scope and her huge will turned her into a monster. She could mind control ethereals over 50% of the time in psi armor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, I will not believe that aliens don't have magic situational awareness of all units when I set up a group of soldiers outside a room on Overwatch, open the door and no matter how many times I retry, reload, with or without savescum on, and they will almost always run to the most effective cover places to avoid crossing overwatch on the units entirely outside of their LOS - often in a spot that flanks them if they're close enough as well.

I have caught suckers in overwatch traps multiple times using their free move quite a number of times, personally. I've also had dickbag Mutons weasel their way out of my tightening nooses with suspicious adeptness. There is really just as much evidence for knowing the nearest soldier, ala "what was that noise" as there is for omniscience. Even the guy who allegedly dove into the code ended up backpedaling a LOT on his omniscience claims. I don't really remember the exchange that much, but he claimed he jumped into the code - never really elaborating on how or what he was seeing, so nobody could check his work - and ended up saying something like they have a general idea of where close soldiers are or something like that - his language was pretty vague and non-specific so it was hard to tell what he was even trying to say. He then suddenly claimed a victory even though his alleged findings didn't really support what he was saying at all and I generally was left very confused and thinking that I'd just had a big fizzy helping of grog.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Are the two cheap DLCs worth getting while they are on sale or are they pre-order stuff?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

richardfun posted:

I just got laser rifles and right away, I got three cyberdisks, about six 'lids and a bunch of drones on my second terror mission. Seeing as how the strength of the aliens just shot up significantly, should I research precision lasers first so I can get everybody off balistics, or go straight for the alien base now that I can make the key?

Edit: Also, I'm in June and I have yet to assault the Alien Base. Am I going too slow?

Anyone? For the record, I'm doing a Classic run for the first time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just hit the base already, dude. What could go wrong.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Just hit the base already, dude. What could go wrong.

I'm afraid I'm going to get similar aliens thrown at me as I did during the terror mission. :ohdear:

I just couldn't do enough damage per turn to prevent a lot of my guys getting badly wounded. Replayed the mission twice, wiped the first two times.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Pwnstar posted:

Are the two cheap DLCs worth getting while they are on sale or are they pre-order stuff?

The Elite Soldier Pack is preorder stuff, Slingshot has three (not very well designed) missions, a special character, and more hats. If you like customizing your guys enough to spend ~$6.00 on it then yeah, get both, otherwise not really worth it.

richardfun posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to get similar aliens thrown at me as I did during the terror mission. :ohdear:

I just couldn't do enough damage per turn to prevent a lot of my guys getting badly wounded. Replayed the mission twice, wiped the first two times.

Don't worry about taking out the base before you've got everyone in Alloy Armor packing Laser Weapons unless you're worried about losing a country or two that month. Unless you put it off super late, you're unlikely to encounter anything that lasers and non-poo poo armor can't handle.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 29, 2013

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

richardfun posted:

Which terror mission? Just a random one, or are you talking about the Newfoundland mission? That particular one is harder than the base assault.

Either way, the aliens are just going to get more powerful the longer you wait. At least you're probably not quite to the "oh god it's a room full of sectopods" stage yet.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

richardfun posted:

Anyone? For the record, I'm doing a Classic run for the first time.

I just did the base assault at the end of month 3 and i faced 2 packs of thin men, 2 packs of chryssalids, 2-3 packs of floaters, 1 pack of seekers, two packs of drones and zero cyberdiscs.

I'm never doing a late base assault ever again.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

richardfun posted:

I don't think the base has Cyberdisks. Take a MEC with a flamethrower and you'll be fine.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Which terror mission? Just a random one, or are you talking about the Newfoundland mission? That particular one is harder than the base assault.

Either way, the aliens are just going to get more powerful the longer you wait. At least you're probably not quite to the "oh god it's a room full of sectopods" stage yet.

It was the second 'normal' terror mission. Up until then, it had been a mixture of sectoids/thin men/mutons/floaters/seekers and ocassionally, a single cyberdisk and/or mechtoid. Now the game threw the aforementioned trio of cyberdisks at me, plus a mixture of other nastiness...

richardfun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2013

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think the base has Cyberdisks. Take a MEC with a flamethrower and you'll be fine.

The base will totally have Cyberdisks if you hit it late enough. Just usually not many.

richardfun posted:

It was the second 'normal' terror mission. Up until then, it had been a mixture of sectoids/thin men/mutons and ocassionally, a single cyberdisk and/or mechtoid. Now the game threw the aforementioned trio of cyberdisks at me, plus a mixture of other nastiness...

Yeah, the base is almost guaranteed to not throw that many scary aliens at you, hell, I took out the base at about the same time on my current Classic game, and there weren't even any Mutons. Just Sectoids, Thin Men, Drones, and a few Chryssalids.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

The base will totally have Cyberdisks if you hit it late enough. Just usually not many.

Weird, I left it for like a month on my last Classic/Iron-Man playthrough and it was the usual spread. Maybe I just got lucky?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

seaborgium posted:

Apparently this is on sale right now on Steam if someone is on the fence about picking it up.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but while Enemy Within isn't on sale on steam, it's 30% off on Green Man Gaming with the coupon code GMG30-4IMHC-3C8ST, or at least it was earlier today when I got it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

You guys are filling me with hope. Guess I know what I'll do when I get back from work. :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dan Didio posted:

Weird, I left it for like a month on my last Classic/Iron-Man playthrough and it was the usual spread. Maybe I just got lucky?

It doesn't matter how long you had it available, it matters how far into the game you are.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

EU thinks Cyberdisks are way more scary than they usually are, and tends to hold back on throwing many/any at you until like, July or so.

• Locked thread