Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Dickey Butts posted:

Shotgun Butterfly has a weird and stupid name, but a great sense of what an LP should be. That he has less than 100 views on most of his videos is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's currently working on an LP of Hotline Miami, and he's completed an excellent LP of Just Cause 2 that is really more of a love note. He's got all the SA chops in terms of good editing and proper equipment, but he obviously puts most of his work into his commentary. Highly scripted, they come across more as video essays than LPs, and it's to their benefit. If you like informative but funny LPs from someone who obviously loves the game their showing off, I couldn't recommend him more. He also has a series called "Should you get" where he does brief previews that are also worth watching.

I have to agree, this guy is fantastic. Sure he's scripted but he has such fabulous execution that it feels like he's narrating a movie. He definitely deserves the attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Dickey Butts posted:

Shotgun Butterfly has a weird and stupid name, but a great sense of what an LP should be. That he has less than 100 views on most of his videos is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's currently working on an LP of Hotline Miami, and he's completed an excellent LP of Just Cause 2 that is really more of a love note. He's got all the SA chops in terms of good editing and proper equipment, but he obviously puts most of his work into his commentary. Highly scripted, they come across more as video essays than LPs, and it's to their benefit. If you like informative but funny LPs from someone who obviously loves the game their showing off, I couldn't recommend him more. He also has a series called "Should you get" where he does brief previews that are also worth watching.
Good Stuff.
This guy is on fire for Star Fox.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I apologize if anyone else has already brought this up, but Brian Phillips, a features writer for Grantland and Slate, wrote one of my favorite Let's Plays of all time, his yearlong epic of Football Manager 2009 and the resurrection of Pro Vercelli. It's fantastic, even if you're not a fan of sports in general or soccer in particular. It also has his wife making celebration dishes and giving the recipes, and I can speak from experience that they're delicious.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Super Bunnyhop, who also does some pretty interesting critical/analytic videos, recently started a European Extreme mode (which gives you a game over whenever you're spotted) no kills, no tranquilizer run of Metal Gear Solid 3. In his videos analyzing MGS2 and 3 he's mentioned that he thinks the tranquilizer breaks MGS2 and 3 as far as non-lethal playthroughs go, and watching his playthrough really shows how much more interesting the game gets when you're forced to be creative instead of just using the Mk22 to get out of any situation.

The videos are done with live commentary, but he does a decent amount of editing to them. Sometimes you have to rewatch bits when he fails and then retries an area, but plenty of deaths are removed entirely and in general he's pretty good about editing out repetition. He's also got a decent sense of humor and rarely strays off topic, only when there isn't much going on in the game to talk about. I've been really enjoying the videos, and definitely want to try running the game this way myself once the LP is over.

Part 1

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 23, 2013

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
This particular Youtube Let's Play of TimeSplitters is kind of special to me. The LP is about two years old, unfinished, and the last sign of life of Youtube user MyCatIsGo. But what makes it so special is not just him and his nerdy, nasally voice, but his so-called friends co-commentating who basically make the whole thing come together. The LPer is kind of unfunny, annoying, and a bit of a dick and tells his co-commentators to shut up a lot, so the co-commentators don't hesitate to make fun of him and the game. There are only seven short videos of the LP, but you really only have to watch the first three parts to witness the LPer get more and more fed up with his possibly stoner friends and their lovable antics. Without them, this would just be another bad Let's Play.

It kind of still is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Princess Sheepy posted:

This particular Youtube Let's Play of TimeSplitters is kind of special to me. The LP is about two years old, unfinished, and the last sign of life of Youtube user MyCatIsGo. But what makes it so special is not just him and his nerdy, nasally voice, but his so-called friends co-commentating who basically make the whole thing come together. The LPer is kind of unfunny, annoying, and a bit of a dick and tells his co-commentators to shut up a lot, so the co-commentators don't hesitate to make fun of him and the game. There are only seven short videos of the LP, but you really only have to watch the first three parts to witness the LPer get more and more fed up with his possibly stoner friends and their lovable antics. Without them, this would just be another bad Let's Play.

It kind of still is.

It's basically a 2007-style LP. It's...beautiful. :allears:

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Listen. Shut up. Listen. Listen. Listen. Guy is like a rude Navi.

I feel somewhat guilty for marathoning the whole thing with a giant grin, wishing for more.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Cole, I just want you to provide content for this video." "Are you familiar with the concept of anti-content?" :allears:

Edit: One of the co-commenters summarizes everything in video 4 -- "That's a completely useless thing to say, Miles."

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 23, 2013

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Super Bunnyhop, who also does some pretty interesting critical/analytic videos, recently started a European Extreme mode (which gives you a game over whenever you're spotted) no kills, no tranquilizer run of Metal Gear Solid 3. In his videos analyzing MGS2 and 3 he's mentioned that he thinks the tranquilizer breaks MGS2 and 3 as far as non-lethal playthroughs go, and watching his playthrough really shows how much more interesting the game gets when you're forced to be creative instead of just using the Mk22 to get out of any situation.

The videos are done with live commentary, but he does a decent amount of editing to them. Sometimes you have to rewatch bits when he fails and then retries an area, but plenty of deaths are removed entirely and in general he's pretty good about editing out repetition. He's also got a decent sense of humor and rarely strays off topic, only when there isn't much going on in the game to talk about. I've been really enjoying the videos, and definitely want to try running the game this way myself once the LP is over.

Part 1

This is really pretty great.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

gatz posted:

If anyone isn't watching the latest retsupurae thing, you're missing out big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5tnsCnGEU

I haven't laughed so hard in long time.

Now that all parts of this are up I have to re-recommend it, it's hilarious, you really should watch the whole thing. The final part had one moment I laughed at for several minutes because of its sheer absurdity.

Slowbeef is also uploading a stream of an iOS game called Room Break to his Youtube channel, which -- despite its low video quality -- is also worth a look. It gets pretty ridiculous around chapter 3.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Slowbeef is also uploading a stream of an iOS game called Room Break to his Youtube channel, which -- despite its low video quality -- is also worth a look. It gets pretty ridiculous around chapter 3.

I'm actually looking at re-recording it locally - I found a way to get a good framerate. I felt a little guilty putting that up as is, but we really had a great time on the stream.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
This ongoing LP of Skyrim by Steam Train is actually really interesting compared to the rest of the Game Grumps stuff. They still bullshit around a bunch, but Ross decided that they shouldn't just straight up play the game since that would be boring to watch, and is instead showing off a bunch of speedrun tactics. He also has some kinda funny mods installed that he forgot about. Its's also kind of informative in a way, because Danny is extremely confused and doesn't know about the tactics, so Ross spends a fair amount of time just talking about what he's doing and how it works. It's a pretty cool thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

JetGrind posted:

This ongoing LP of Skyrim by Steam Train is actually really interesting compared to the rest of the Game Grumps stuff. They still bullshit around a bunch, but Ross decided that they shouldn't just straight up play the game since that would be boring to watch, and is instead showing off a bunch of speedrun tactics. He also has some kinda funny mods installed that he forgot about. Its's also kind of informative in a way, because Danny is extremely confused and doesn't know about the tactics, so Ross spends a fair amount of time just talking about what he's doing and how it works. It's a pretty cool thing.

Thanks for this. I watch everything Danny & Arin do, can't loving stand Ross but was curious if this was worth checking out but was a little afraid to ask here.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Aww, but Ross is the endearing foreigner who seems dumb because things are unfamiliar! How can you hate that?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

JetGrind posted:

This might be the best thing to ever come out of Game Grumps, but all the joy I experience is immediately gone when I see that Interrupt-o-meter thing. It is loving obnoxious and the opposite of funny.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

JetGrind posted:

The big problem I'm having with this series (granted, I'm 90 minutes into watching it, so it's not that big a problem) is that they show the guy failing at his little speedrun tricks for 5 minutes, and then fastforward THROUGH the solution, so you never get the satisfaction of actually seeing it work.

It would have been a lot better if, in post, they had fastforwarded some of the time before "OK, Barry, fast-forward this" and left in the working attempt in its entirety.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Part 1

This just finished the other day and it really is worth watching.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Found a guy on YT, Well Played. His stuff seems really well done, good production values and interesting commentary. My only concern is that he doesn't scrub his audio so you hear his gross idle noises in the back. Hopefully he'll work on that but from what I've seen of his Wind Waker LP he has potential to be really good.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've asked this in the recommendation thread as well but what are good LPs for young children? Most LPs I watch tend to involve swearing. Which obviously isn't suitable.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Little_wh0re posted:

I've asked this in the recommendation thread as well but what are good LPs for young children? Most LPs I watch tend to involve swearing. Which obviously isn't suitable.

Chuggaaconroy's good for kids because he's a) not an rear end in a top hat and b) usually doesn't have too much objectionable in his LPs. For SALPs maybe medibot's Kirby 64 LP?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Little_wh0re posted:

For some reason, Deceased Crab is what I imagine the host of a kid's show about LP's would be like. He's not uproariously funny, at least not to me now, but he's extremely upbeat and when I used to watch him a lot when I was younger I don't recall him ever using any language more colorful than a "drat".
The games he LP's are kind of an eclectic mix of kid safe and not kid safe, though (your kid is likely okay watching Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Star Tropics, or Goof Troop, less likely okay watching the Chzo Mythos series or Abobo's Big adventure). I don't know whether you plan to screen the videos your kid watches or just want to let them loose on a channel.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

If I remember correctly SirRonLionheart doesn't swear and just plays nintendo games and maybe a couple romhacks, while being a colourful character himself. There's probably no better channel for a child to watch when it comes to Let's Play than that, really.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Paper Lion posted:

If I remember correctly SirRonLionheart doesn't swear and just plays nintendo games and maybe a couple romhacks, while being a colourful character himself. There's probably no better channel for a child to watch when it comes to Let's Play than that, really.

That will end with one severely messed-up kid who thinks Ron is actually talking to video game characters and they're talking back. I've been watching his Braid videos (don't ask why; I don't think I have an answer), and while he is pretty diligent about clumsily hacking out the footage including any swears, he's rather noticeably getting very drunk by the end of the game and every time he can't figure out what to do, Super Mario calls him "joo stupid-a mango". This may not be a phrase you want your children becoming fond of. The Final Fantasy VIII LP he ended on was surprisingly down-to-Earth by Ron's standards, and it's a shame he stopped when he did, because that may have been his best LP yet.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Little_wh0re posted:

If you're needing a baby sitter, just give the kid a popsicle and put some raocow on. Nothing screams children's entertainment more than a French-Canadian popping off with non-sequitur commentary! I like raocow, but I'm just saying

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Anything from medibot would probably be appropriate for youth consumption, excepting maybe the 4-swords co-op LP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Anything from medibot would probably be appropriate for youth consumption, excepting maybe the 4-swords co-op LP.

And the Mario Party LP, though I guess that's technically Pokecapn?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The Kirby ones are iffy depending on the child, solely because of invincibility candy (which makes him go a little...demonic).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

kalonZombie posted:

And the Mario Party LP, though I guess that's technically Pokecapn?

Do you really wanna teach kids about the power of devils and that screwing your friends over is good? Nah, Mario Party is EVIL, keep them away from it. Watch a House of The Dead: Overkill LP, that's healthier.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
You shouldn't introduce LP to your children.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

Send your kids outside to play.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

error supply posted:

You shouldn't introduce LP to your children.

Adding to that, you shouldn't introduce your children to LP either.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HenryEx posted:

"Uhhhh...Hey guys, it's AssassinSkylar with another episode of my Minecraft Let's Play. Last time dad told me to stop playing games and do my homework, so this time we'll finish building my first house!"

-AssassinSkylar Plays Minecraft, Episode 112.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

HenryEx posted:

My toddler was sat with me when I was watching Arthur de Wolfe play scribblenauts once. He loved the little man jumping around and creating things out of thin air (and there may have been a sighting of Father Christmas which is always exciting when you're 3). I do feel like I might have created a monster though because he had no real idea what video games were before that evening, now he wants to help daddy play GTA V and gets quite upset that he isn't allowed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DWK posted:

My toddler was sat with me when I was watching Arthur de Wolfe play scribblenauts once. He loved the little man jumping around and creating things out of thin air (and there may have been a sighting of Father Christmas which is always exciting when you're 3). I do feel like I might have created a monster though because he had no real idea what video games were before that evening, now he wants to help daddy play GTA V and gets quite upset that he isn't allowed.

Arthur's a pretty good LPer for kids, I'd say. I doubt kids would get all the jokes but he's quite laid back and makes a lot of jokes about the game, and doesn't go into the tasteless stuff a lot of LPers do.

Aside from a bit of cussin' which I grew up with anyway so I never really thought about it being something kids shouldn't be exposed to, you could do a lot worse.

Though no LP is really going to be 'for children' really, in the sense that it's highly filtered development-assisting programming guaranteed not to get your kid to start asking what complicated words mean.

If you want something game related for your kids to do, give them a videogame, those are actually good for developing spatial skills. Buy your kids Portal or something.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If you want something game related for your kids to do, give them a videogame, those are actually good for developing spatial skills. Buy your kids Portal or something.

Our older one has a DDR mat for the PS2 and a horrible karaoke game, but she's more interested in arts and crafts than video games. She quite likes the odd puzzle/casual game and probably would enjoy really Portal (for "Ricky Gervais' funny looking friend" if nothing else), but even though she sees both of us playing games, she's never really shown much of an interest. The younger one on the other hand is going to turn into Billy MC I think.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DWK posted:

The younger one on the other hand is going to turn into Billy MC I think.

Never let him watch The Karate Kid and he'll be fine.

Honestly if you want your kids to learn something through games give them one of the new Rayman games. Platformers are great for understanding spatial exploration and pattern recognition (e.g. learning how to navigate through timing puzzles). I grew up on Sonic games and decent Disney platformers.

I think Portal's mood would be off-putting for a child and going from never playing games to fully 3D movement might be too much too soon.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
:siren: YouTube LPs are in danger! :siren:

...(shrug) Apparently a buncha LPs are being hit with 3rd party copyright claims so people can't make that cash money anymore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

They'd be educated on classic literature, at least.

Slowbeef posted:

...(shrug) Apparently a buncha LPs are being hit with 3rd party copyright claims so people can't make that cash money anymore.

First they came for the comment section, and I did not speak out because I don't read my comment section.
Then they came for the like/dislike buttons, and I did not speak up because I don't care about likes/dislikes.
Then they for my Day 1 blind scarecam LP of Battlefield 4, and there was no one left to speak for me THIS IS BULLSHIT.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 11, 2013

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Arthur's a pretty good LPer for kids, I'd say. I doubt kids would get all the jokes but he's quite laid back and makes a lot of jokes about the game, and doesn't go into the tasteless stuff a lot of LPers do.

Aside from a bit of cussin' which I grew up with anyway so I never really thought about it being something kids shouldn't be exposed to, you could do a lot worse.

Yo, speaking as someone who's been on some of Arthur's videos, I wouldn't exactly recommend him to kids without some pre-watching beforehand. Sometimes his guests can get kind of tasteless so it really depends on what video you're watching that it could be suitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Slowbeef posted:

Sounds like a few third-party companies have been circumventing the publishers entirely in reporting these videos.

quote:

Certainly, some games companies are angry about the situation. Capcom tweeted today that it would be "investigating flags not instigated by us." A spokesperson for Deep Silver told Polygon that the company had nothing to do with flags that had been sent out based on its games. "We definitely don't want YouTubers to have to deal with this," she said. "We aren't sure really where these claims are coming from but we never want to block YouTubers from having fun with any of our games. We've already been looking into what we can do for the past day since this first went down and we'll be getting together tomorrow first thing in the morning to try and unravel it some more to find ways to help."

I don't think we're seeing The End of YouTube LPs As We Know It, and considering that it's still cheap advertising for those publishers, I doubt they'll just start cracking down on it now.

• Locked thread