Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Psychobabble! posted:

I want to get a GSD, and with that I specifically want a male(I know, opposite end of the spectrum with these two breeds haha).

From what I understand, dog aggression is more likely to be worse with two dogs of the same sex. Arbitrarily, from watching dogs in general interact, I'd say this is pretty true. Not even necessarily that they'll have full on aggression, but it just seems like dogs of opposite sexes seem to "click" more. This is a huge reason that our next dog is going to be female, Buddy tends to prefer the ladies. Also, our next dog is going to be a GSD, too! :hfive: I grew up always wanting a husky and a GSD, and I figure I really want a dog with more work ethic with my next one, since Buddy gets sick of training in like 2 minutes, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

paisleyfox has a male & female shiba, so she may be able to give you some suggestions.

Typically, it's considered best to have dogs of opposite sexes. I'm not sure about shibas, but same sex aggression is pretty typical in GSDs. I would recommend your shiba be female if you're planning on a male GSD. In my experience, female dogs in general tend to be a bit more serious. I find they have a lovely work ethic, but they can be bitchy and carry a grudge. Males tend to mature later and will carry puppyish traits further into adulthood.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

In my experience, female dogs in general tend to be a bit more serious. I find they have a lovely work ethic, but they can be bitchy and carry a grudge. Males tend to mature later and will carry puppyish traits further into adulthood.

This is almost word for word the exact same thing I've heard from multiple other places. :) I was going to say I can't really comment on it because I haven't seen it, but then I just realized that my in-laws' dogs have totally fit that bill, as well as Buddy. Guess I just never thought about it before.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Thanks guys! The whole opposite gender being preferable thing was what I had always heard/read, just reading tid bits here and there about the females being more prone to dog aggression made me want a second opinion or two(the only 2 female shibas I've met have been absolute sweethearts, but that's a pretty small sample size).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

We have an older male husky and a younger female shiba. When we got the shiba, the breeder was nearly unwilling to give us a male, and strongly encouraged us to get a female.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh my god that little air kicking is killing me!!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

!!! Eee, I'm going to go meet up with the owner of the San Jo Shiba kennel next week to meet her dogs/her, and put a deposit down. She owns this years male champion and the top producing male of all time, Taro. I'm really excited and nervous :ohdear:

Since there isn't a ton of content to this(sorry Im just really excited), here's some pictures she sent me of a cream puppy and her GSD:

:3:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Give me that puppy!

This photo I took of Artie is going to be in a Callander next year, not sure what month yet

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Sorry I missed Sheeb!talk, we just moved into a house and only got internet on Monday. :x

First off, CONGRATS! San Jo is a great breeder! :3: I have quite a few friends with dogs from San Jo, they have great pups.

As far as same sex aggression, we find bitches tend to be, well, bitchier around other females. My two are nuts and get along with/bother everyone. With all the prims I've been around, I've found M/M pairs do way better than F/F pairs. M/F are ideal, I think, but you just need a good personality mix. Also, being altered also has to do with a lot of it, too. My friend's boys don't do well around unaltered males, no matter how friendly the dog is. I'd have all boys if I could help it, I find them to be more cuddly, but since the Ellie slot was supposed to be a show dog, I wanted them to get along with said friend's dogs. Ellie is just a little spitfire though and will be perfect in our upcoming agility career, and I love her personality even if she keeps eating my headphones. :argh:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Yesterday was Goliath's one year adoption anniversary! We also are calling it his 9th or 10th birthday because you can't own a dog and not celebrate a birthday.

Little dog party hat.

We went for a walk in the park as well. Today it's snowing - his kind of weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HN8HvGQ9Ds
We sang him Happy Birthday, which I think he liked. Bonus cats in the background. You can see his *silly tail too.

(Don't mind the extension cords and mess, our house is constantly under renovation.)

This is a picture from one year ago! His fur was really short back then. Can coats change drastically or do you think he was shaved at one point? For us, that's the only time his fur has been that length, normally it's much, much longer.

*I posted this thread in a rage a while ago, he is doing alright now. (TL;DR: We took him to a groomer for the first time and they completely stripped his undercoat and he ended up with a bad hot spot, so we had to shave most of his tail and he went on antibiotics and a topical steroid for a while. Now he looks goofy.)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575421

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
We got our first dog, Coco, 18 months ago. One is not enough, so a few days ago, we picked up another one.

Coco

Natsume

Coco + Natsume :3:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Souffle posted:

Coco + Natsume :3:

Oh my god. This picture is too much :3: I feel like I could reach out and pat their fuzzy heads.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

Bitey face!

Goliath is such a handsome gentleman. I would love to own a Malamute one day.

Well, we finally picked up our Shikoku puppy on Monday. She's an absolute angel in the house, but holy poo poo is she a terror outside 'specially with other dogs. First (of many, I'm sure) meeting with a trainer on Tuesday after work, who will hopefully also be able to recommend a suitably sized/spacious puppy class to work on manners.

Anyway, when we went to meet her her breeder had organised a meet-up with 3 of the other pups too.

Yuuna is so graceful!

She had a great time being chased by her brothers...

..and chasing her mother.

Looks like she's taking after Dad though.

Anyway, a few hundred miles later we're back at home.

At least the dog hairs won't show too badly.

She's already learned to sit (for food)

At least she's food motivated!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yuna and Natsu! :kimchi:

Uuuugh, I already want another puppy. Don't tell the hubs. :ninja:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Can it always be shibe chat? :allears: I'm glad to hear she's reputable! I'd heard good things from people at a shiba meet up (yeah we were those guys with no dog at a meet up), and from various internet boards, plus the fact that the other breeders I was talking to either owned or had bred with her dogs. Looks like we're going with a female since I want my GSD to be a male!

We're going to meet her and her dogs this thursday. I'm excited and nervous at the same time :ohdear:.

Related to shibe chat, I noticed with all(or most of) the shiba breeders I've chatted with, they recommend taking the puppy home as early as 7 weeks. From what I've read, it's generally frowned upon to take them home earlier than 8. Is taking the puppy home at 7 weeks going to ruin my it, or is this practice common with shibas/other primitive breeds? If she wasn't such a well regarded breeder I would be wary, but she comes so highly recommended and knows the breed so well.

If this thread isn't the right thread I can move it to the New Puppy thread, I just figured I'd check here first.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

Related to shibe chat, I noticed with all(or most of) the shiba breeders I've chatted with, they recommend taking the puppy home as early as 7 weeks. From what I've read, it's generally frowned upon to take them home earlier than 8. Is taking the puppy home at 7 weeks going to ruin my it, or is this practice common with shibas/other primitive breeds? If she wasn't such a well regarded breeder I would be wary, but she comes so highly recommended and knows the breed so well.

If this thread isn't the right thread I can move it to the New Puppy thread, I just figured I'd check here first.

I think the breeder we got Coco and Natsu from likes sending puppies home when they are 7 weeks old too. We got Natsu at 7 weeks. He seems fine, though it's only been ~1 week since we got him. We picked up Coco when she was a little over 8 weeks, but only because we were out of the country until the day before we got her. The breeder wanted us to pick her up a little earlier.

Also, Yuuna is soo pretty. :allears:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

7 weeks is fine. Some breeders want them to stay longer, like 12-13 weeks, some stick strictly to 8, and fudging around 7 is also ok. Our rescue started adopting our our mix pups at 7 ish weeks because we knew individual attention at their new homes would be more beneficial than three working adults all on different schedules with 4 of their own grown dogs to take care of trying to get them what they needed social and training wise that last dumb week. I also didn't live at my friend's house, so I was commuting 20-30 min to help her take care of them a few times a day, too.

Take the pup to the vet with lots of cheese and awesomeness soon after you get home just as a "here is my new puppy, vet is awesome" visit and work on those nails and handling every day. Find a good local puppy class that you can enroll them in right away with other puppies around her age, even before all of her shots are done. My facility was awesome and let me start right away and didn't pressure me or Ellie to interact if she was uncomfortable. Ellie hung back the first few classes and just watched the other puppies and handlers and paid attention to me. By the end of the course, she ruled that place with a swift iron fist.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic of Shiba-chat, I've been looking into getting a Shiba Inu puppy; likely won't be getting one for a month or two at least, but I'm trying to be prepared. While I'm planning to contact them personally, if anyone happens to know any of the California breeders and if they're trustworthy (or not) that would be helpful, as would any general information or advice; while I've been reading everything from general dog training books and sites to Shiba-specific blogs and whatnot (and of course the various threads here), more can't hurt.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

We got our shiba from Kim Bousson, Southampton Shibas in Concord 3 years ago: http://www.myshibas.com/

Nothing but positive things to say about her, her dogs, and the experience overall. I'm not sure what her status is now in terms of breeding but I'd give it a look

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
How horrible of an idea is it to get a second older Malamute? Look at this sweet girl...

When I called the shelter they said she was 8, but it doesn't really matter. We got Goliath when he was estimated to be 8 and now he's maybe 9 or so. She looks so precious, she's got that sad look on her face just like Goliath had when I fell in love with him, like all they need is a big hug and a belly rub. She's also been at the shelter for a really long time.

I know that since we're all prim breed lovers the natural instinct is going to be "GET HER TODAY," but I really need some outside, objective opinions.

PROS: She's beautiful. Boyfriend is also kind of excited about the thought of having another Malamute. Can you imagine two beautiful fluffy dogs cuddling on your bed in the winter? She's been there forever and is likely having trouble finding a home because she's old, she's big, and she's hairy, and we already have one of those things running around our house, what's the harm in getting another?

CONS: Our house is already full of animal hair even though we clean regularly. Even with a routine toileting schedule Goliath still poops/pees inside a few times a week when we are working the same shift. Not sure that I want even more poop/pee accidents, and not sure that I want even more dog poo poo in our extremely tiny back yard. Also, two dogs and two cats is kind of getting into crazy animal person territory.

UNCERTAINS: Goliath is very indifferent to other dogs. When he sees them from a distance he perks up and acts interested, occasionally he whines and pulls to get closer, but when we're close, he will sniff for a few seconds and then walk away. He's a very passive dog and I'm not sure if he would like having another dog companion around or if he would be jealous. Also due to our schedules and especially in the winter when it's dark all day long, we go on walks about three times a week, sometimes less if the weather is bad, and while Goliath is totally fine with this, I'm not sure than another dog would be. (We walk almost every day in the summer.) Our yard very small and not fenced in, and since they're Malamutes they can't just run around and come back inside. With Goliath that's not a problem because he doesn't like going outside unless he has his harness on and knows he's going for a walk, but I'm not sure how another Mal might handle that.

We can definitely afford it, our house is big enough for two Mals to have their own space, but Goliath is my first dog and he's so perfect and wonderful that I don't want my emotions to say that I need another old Malamute just because we've had such a great experience with him. Then again, she looks so cute and sweet and she's been there for 44 days...

We will probably visit her in the shelter and bring Goliath with for an introduction just to see what she's like, but I want to make sure that we make a rational, well-thought out decision before we make a choice one way or another. I'd love to hear other people's experiences owning two prims.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Koivunen posted:

How horrible of an idea is it to get a second older Malamute? Look at this sweet girl...

When I called the shelter they said she was 8, but it doesn't really matter. We got Goliath when he was estimated to be 8 and now he's maybe 9 or so. She looks so precious, she's got that sad look on her face just like Goliath had when I fell in love with him, like all they need is a big hug and a belly rub. She's also been at the shelter for a really long time.

I know that since we're all prim breed lovers the natural instinct is going to be "GET HER TODAY," but I really need some outside, objective opinions.

PROS: She's beautiful. Boyfriend is also kind of excited about the thought of having another Malamute. Can you imagine two beautiful fluffy dogs cuddling on your bed in the winter? She's been there forever and is likely having trouble finding a home because she's old, she's big, and she's hairy, and we already have one of those things running around our house, what's the harm in getting another?

CONS: Our house is already full of animal hair even though we clean regularly. Even with a routine toileting schedule Goliath still poops/pees inside a few times a week when we are working the same shift. Not sure that I want even more poop/pee accidents, and not sure that I want even more dog poo poo in our extremely tiny back yard. Also, two dogs and two cats is kind of getting into crazy animal person territory.

UNCERTAINS: Goliath is very indifferent to other dogs. When he sees them from a distance he perks up and acts interested, occasionally he whines and pulls to get closer, but when we're close, he will sniff for a few seconds and then walk away. He's a very passive dog and I'm not sure if he would like having another dog companion around or if he would be jealous. Also due to our schedules and especially in the winter when it's dark all day long, we go on walks about three times a week, sometimes less if the weather is bad, and while Goliath is totally fine with this, I'm not sure than another dog would be. (We walk almost every day in the summer.) Our yard very small and not fenced in, and since they're Malamutes they can't just run around and come back inside. With Goliath that's not a problem because he doesn't like going outside unless he has his harness on and knows he's going for a walk, but I'm not sure how another Mal might handle that.

We can definitely afford it, our house is big enough for two Mals to have their own space, but Goliath is my first dog and he's so perfect and wonderful that I don't want my emotions to say that I need another old Malamute just because we've had such a great experience with him. Then again, she looks so cute and sweet and she's been there for 44 days...

We will probably visit her in the shelter and bring Goliath with for an introduction just to see what she's like, but I want to make sure that we make a rational, well-thought out decision before we make a choice one way or another. I'd love to hear other people's experiences owning two prims.

Well, we have the full assortment of dog personalities in our house but since taking in his brother, Nori has a playmate who is better suited than the others so that's a plus. It's extra fun when Ghost the Sibe visits. So much rooo-roooing and ignoring us :)

If she's been there so long I don't see the harm in taking her on a trial basis if the initial meeting goes well. Not like the shelter wouldn't take her back if its a bad match.

Where are you guys living that heaven rains down perfectly behaved adult wooly Mals every few months?

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I'd say if you have the finances take her, at least on a foster/trial basis.

She's lovely

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

TVs Ian posted:

Where are you guys living that heaven rains down perfectly behaved adult wooly Mals every few months?
Mannamutes, if you will.

I think you should take her into your home, embrace the shedding, and start a lucrative dog-hair knitwear business. They're different colours too, imagine the interesting patterns you could get!

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

How much of a pain would be making a fence be? I think that would take significant stress out of the situation. I keep agitating for another malamute and I have one malamute and 3 cats. So I can't give an unbiased answer to that question.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I have 6 cats and one Samoyed (3 gerbils and multiple fish don't really count).

All pets are possible, may even get another dog in the next year or two :)

Go get her!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

TVs Ian posted:

Well, we have the full assortment of dog personalities in our house but since taking in his brother, Nori has a playmate who is better suited than the others so that's a plus. It's extra fun when Ghost the Sibe visits. So much rooo-roooing and ignoring us :)

If she's been there so long I don't see the harm in taking her on a trial basis if the initial meeting goes well. Not like the shelter wouldn't take her back if its a bad match.

We live in northern Minnesota. When we are out walking Goliath I see a lot of Huskies and Prim-X looking dogs, but I've only seen one other Malamute "in the wild." That's why I'm so excited about her. There was one time when we were walking Goliath and some people pulled over in their car and asked if he was male or female, and I guess they were looking for a female dog to breed with their male Malamute? It was really weird. Anyway, I would love for Goliath to have some company when we are at work or sleeping at odd hours.

Zenithbliss posted:

I have 6 cats and one Samoyed (3 gerbils and multiple fish don't really count).

All pets are possible, may even get another dog in the next year or two :)

Go get her!

We also have a lizard but he doesn't really count, and I want to get some fish but the boyfriend doesn't like them for some reason. Many years ago I got a gecko from someone I worked with who didn't want it any more, and my old cat loved sitting in front of the gecko cage and watching him eat and run around, and the gecko seemed to respond to my cat as well. The gecko died so I got a bearded dragon for my cat's entertainment, and then shortly thereafter my cat died unexpectedly. The cats I have now don't care about the lizard at all. Long story short we also have a lizard but I don't really count him as a pet.

Citizen Rat posted:

How much of a pain would be making a fence be? I think that would take significant stress out of the situation. I keep agitating for another malamute and I have one malamute and 3 cats. So I can't give an unbiased answer to that question.

Our backyard is about 40 feet by 20 feet. We do have a front yard but it's basically just a steep slope to the sidewalk. I wouldn't want to put up a fence in the back yard only because I feel it would be unfair to our neighbors since our property goes up to the foundation of both of their houses, and on the west side we can touch our house and their house at the same time, and on the east side there's about six feet between our houses. It would feel like a dickish move to put a fence in our yard because it would make their property feel that much smaller.

Avshalom posted:

Mannamutes, if you will.

I think you should take her into your home, embrace the shedding, and start a lucrative dog-hair knitwear business. They're different colours too, imagine the interesting patterns you could get!

I have seriously considered this. When we fill an entire trash bag with this luxurious, soft, fluffy fur, I have an urge to keep it just in case we find a spinning wheel at a thrift store or auction.

Zenithbliss posted:

I'd say if you have the finances take her, at least on a foster/trial basis.

She's lovely

The thing is, if I take her into my house, that's the end. I would never return an animal after they have been in my house for a while. If she comes home with us, she's staying.

We plan to visit the shelter tomorrow with Goliath. We will see how it goes.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Well, we got Sheba today. She's very sweet, friendly, seems pretty mellow, totally indifferent to the cats, and at this point, she and Goliath are indifferent to each other. She was an owner surrender from a person who apparently didn't have any heat or electricity so they had to give up their dogs. I was surprised at the place we adopted her from, we drove for an hour and a half out into the woods to get there, and nearly passed it, because it's at some guy's house that had a bunch of old trucks out front and a motor home parked on the side. There were many kennels in the back yard, all the dogs are outside all the time, and apparently they tried to kennel Sheba with a smaller dog and the small dog bit her in the face. Both her eyes are extremely red, and the guy said "Yeah, a vet's going to have to look at that." It's a place that I've heard of before and apparently they take good care of their animals, but I definitely won't be returning there again, and if things don't work out with Sheba, I'm not taking her back there.

Anyway, she's been home for a few hours now, and I'm a little worried that she's never been kept inside before. When we first brought her in the house she sniffed around for a while and then went to the back door and pawed at it. I took her for a walk/jog around the neighborhood hoping to wear her out a little, and now we're back home and she's just been pacing and pacing. I'm not sure if she just needs to get settled in or if she doesn't like being indoors. If that's the case we might have a problem... I mean, we could put her in the back yard several times a day but she would have to be tied to our laundry pole or put in a kennel, and I wouldn't feel right about that. Maybe I'm getting too worried prematurely.

In a few hours I'm taking her in to Petco and am going to attempt to give her a bath. She's extremely smelly. I've got a vet appointment for 8am on Friday to get a look at her eyes. I sure hope this works out and that she and Goliath get a bit more comfortable with each other, she's a really sweet, nice dog.

Tried to take some pictures but it's hard to capture a dog in motion.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Definitely let her settle a bit. Kaidan was very much the same way when I first adopted him, and he adjusted and settled just fine.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

New house, new smells, she doesn't know you at all - I'd hope it was all just nervous energy.

We took our husky as an adult surrendered dog, and there was a pretty weird period while adjusting to being a primarily indoors dog. She's almost 9 now, and while she loves being outside has definitely become used to the indoor creature comforts.

"The sun! Too bright!"

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Koivunen posted:

I took her for a walk/jog around the neighborhood hoping to wear her out a little,

HAHA Did she look at you afterwards and say why are we stopping it hasn't even been 3 hours yet. Pretty dogs you have there. I think indifference is exactly what you want at this stage right?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
As the evening passes I'm starting to feel worse about this poor dog. Like I said in my previous post, the place was a little sketchy, and was basically run out of this guy's back yard. Before we went there I looked up online reviews. The place is a part of a spay/neuter support program and uses some of the profits to help people in the small town community get their pets spayed and neutered if they can't afford it, and they also have a thrift store where all the profits go to the animals, apparently. There aren't very many reviews online, but the few I read said very positive things about it and the owners. The only bad review was that one person called and a woman was rude to them, so I didn't think twice about it.

The first thing that made me have a bad gut feeling was the fact that all their dogs, big and small, regardless of breed, were outside, and a lot of them were sharing kennels. There's already snow on the ground and I couldn't see any kind of shelter, and I doubt they take all the dogs in their house when it's cold. The second thing that made me kind of angry was that he told us she had been bitten in the face by another dog but that it would be our responsibility to take her to a vet. I could tell that her eyes were red, one worse than the other, but I couldn't get a good look at them until we got her home. In retrospect I should have looked at here eyes more closely and refused to take her until she was treated, but it's too late now. Her left eye looks fine but it's really red, and the right eye's third lid is inflamed and covering part of the bottom of her eye. I let the vet know this so I've got the first available appointment on Friday. It really upsets me that he never told me when this happened, so who knows how long she has been sitting outside in a kennel with an injured eye. She also had some dirt caked on her belly, which didn't impress me at all. Finally, the paper with her rabies shot and tag says absolutely nothing else about her. It's obvious she's got some sore hips, and her face makes her look a lot older than eight, and the vet papers say she's eight but the website says she's seven...

I know that third lid problems can be really serious and may require surgery. Hopefully we can just treat it with ointment or drops, but if the vet says she would need surgery, I'm not sure what I would do since she's a high-risk dog. I also wouldn't want her to endure the pain of eye surgery at her age, especially if she's got other problems. I really hate to say it, but the thought has crossed my mind - what if we have to put her down? I know I'm worrying way too much right now but I'm feeling literally sick because of worrying and being upset with the "shelter."

She did so well while I was giving her a bath tonight (better than Goliath), and she is so sweet and gentle and beautiful and well-behaved, I really am upset at the way she was treated at this place. She looks like a new dog since her bath and now she actually smells good instead of stinking. Since we've been home, Sheba and Goliath have walked around the house a few times together, they took treats really nicely side by side, and now Sheba is lying right by my feet and Goliath is in his usual spot by the stairs. She's just the sweetest thing and I know that I'm blabbing and rambling now but I just feel... bad. I want to be happy and excited that we have this new dog but I'm worrying myself sick.

Edit: sitting at the e vet right now because she was pawing at her eye and there was blood on her arm... I am really upset.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 28, 2013

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Koivunen posted:

She did so well while I was giving her a bath tonight...

Share your secret. I've had Rosie for 4 years now and we've never had a pleasant bath. Our bully will jump right in for carrot overload, but we got him as a puppy. Husky bath is not easy. She had a hotspot when we got her so we're paranoid about drying. Maybe that's the part she hates.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Koivunen posted:

I know that third lid problems can be really serious and may require surgery. Hopefully we can just treat it with ointment or drops, but if the vet says she would need surgery, I'm not sure what I would do since she's a high-risk dog. I also wouldn't want her to endure the pain of eye surgery at her age, especially if she's got other problems. I really hate to say it, but the thought has crossed my mind - what if we have to put her down? I know I'm worrying way too much right now but I'm feeling literally sick because of worrying and being upset with the "shelter."

Don't even sweat that until you've seen the vet. Seriously.
No reason to worry yourself sick over something yet. Not that I'm any better about it, but hey :)

You guys are doing an awesome thing, and it will turn out well. Mal's are pretty chill dogs, and most I've met at worst just don't care about other dogs, as opposed to "hating" them. Keep the peace, relax, and try to just have fun!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Turns out Sheba has some serious food aggression issues. This morning I was feeding her and Goliath wandered a little too close and she turned around and jumped on h]m and was snarling and snapping and managed to pull out a few tufts of his hair. I had to pull her off him by her harness, and I am not sure how far it would have gone if I wasnt there. Needless to say she will be fed away from anyone else. It worries me a lot that this happened, and even more so that she apparently got in a fight at the rescue too.

Last night we kept her in the basement. I feel awful about it but I don't trust her around my other animals without supervision at this point. I think a good solution is crating her for feeding and when we are sleeping or at work. Boyfriend thinks I am overreacting and crating is mean, but I would be afraid of something happening when we aren't there, especially since Goliath sometimes gets into the cat food or recycling if he's being naughty.

Thoughts?

Turns out her eyes don't have any scratches or punctures and it's conjunctivitis that might be secondary to an upper respiratory infection although her lungs sound good and she's not really sneezing or having any runny noses, so she's on eye drops and pain pills and antibiotics now for a few weeks.

She came with us and Goliath to thanksgiving dinner tonight and was very well behaved and sweet, and besides the food aggression incident and some random growling she is really good.

I've been under stress for other reasons lately so I'm having a hard time gauging my feelings, but today I've found myself second guessing if this was the right thing to do. The aggression stuff really scares me. She is a really nice, sweet dog otherwise and was in a bad place and needed medical attention, but I'm wondering if this is a good fit for her and us or not. Again boyfriend thinks I am overreacting, and I probably am, and he wants us to try for at least another week before making any decisions. I feel terrible for feeling terrible.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I think you absolutely should be keeping the dogs separated while feeding, and while you're away/not supervising. It sounds like you rushed introductions, really (as does everyone). I would have kept baby gates, doors, etc between the two dogs for at least a few weeks to upwards of a month, depending on behaviour.

Calm down and reassess in two weeks or so. :)

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

a life less posted:

Calm down and reassess in two weeks or so. :)

This! Remember that only just got her a few days ago. My dog, Abby, is food aggressive on a similar level that Sheba sounds to be. Most of the time though, she is fine eating a rawhide in the same room as another dog, or when we give out treats. If theres something stressing her out though? (for example if we are dog sitting our neighbor's dog, Something Scary happened like fireworks or whatever) THAT is when she will suddenly go "NO ALL FOOD IS MINE OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!" So there is a chance that Sheba might be manageable once settled in.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Koivunen posted:

Turns out Sheba has some serious food aggression issues. This morning I was feeding her and Goliath wandered a little too close and she turned around and jumped on h]m and was snarling and snapping and managed to pull out a few tufts of his hair. I had to pull her off him by her harness, and I am not sure how far it would have gone if I wasnt there. Needless to say she will be fed away from anyone else. It worries me a lot that this happened, and even more so that she apparently got in a fight at the rescue too.

Last night we kept her in the basement. I feel awful about it but I don't trust her around my other animals without supervision at this point. I think a good solution is crating her for feeding and when we are sleeping or at work. Boyfriend thinks I am overreacting and crating is mean, but I would be afraid of something happening when we aren't there, especially since Goliath sometimes gets into the cat food or recycling if he's being naughty.

Thoughts?

Turns out her eyes don't have any scratches or punctures and it's conjunctivitis that might be secondary to an upper respiratory infection although her lungs sound good and she's not really sneezing or having any runny noses, so she's on eye drops and pain pills and antibiotics now for a few weeks.

She came with us and Goliath to thanksgiving dinner tonight and was very well behaved and sweet, and besides the food aggression incident and some random growling she is really good.

I've been under stress for other reasons lately so I'm having a hard time gauging my feelings, but today I've found myself second guessing if this was the right thing to do. The aggression stuff really scares me. She is a really nice, sweet dog otherwise and was in a bad place and needed medical attention, but I'm wondering if this is a good fit for her and us or not. Again boyfriend thinks I am overreacting, and I probably am, and he wants us to try for at least another week before making any decisions. I feel terrible for feeling terrible.

It is not even remotely unusual for Mals to be food protective or aggressive. And many of them can be same sex aggressive as well. Feed them apart from eachother and for what it's worth, I think you might be overreacting too.

When we first adopted Guthrie, the corgi wires in his brain made him determine our cats were only allowed to live in the bathroom and he would chase them, barking if they ever tried to leave that room. It got very annoying and frustrating. I got overwhelmed and thought he must have been a huge mistake but my wife calmed me down and eventually 'leave it!' clicked with him.

Just be patient. And post more pictures.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Koivunen posted:

Boyfriend thinks I am overreacting and crating is mean

Regardless if you are overreacting, I would argue that crating may be the nicest thing you can do for your dog at this point. Your boyfriend is probably thinking that being crated would be sooo boring and all dogs want to run free, but even if you have one of those rare dogs who can entertain themselves for hours when people aren't around, your new pup is probably feeling a lot of uncertainty right now. She's still adjusting and probably feeling a fair amount of insecurity. A crate would give her her own space, where predictable things happen while you are gone. Stressful events can trigger hormones that last in the body for days, so if she's feeling at all anxious, you're doing her a disfavor by leaving her to her own devices. Weigh potential boredom versus peace of mind.

And it's not like crating now means crating forever. Crating training is great for other things too, like surprise trips where your dog needs to be contained. If they're already comfortable in a crate, then life is that much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kiri koli posted:

Regardless if you are overreacting, I would argue that crating may be the nicest thing you can do for your dog at this point. Your boyfriend is probably thinking that being crated would be sooo boring and all dogs want to run free, but even if you have one of those rare dogs who can entertain themselves for hours when people aren't around, your new pup is probably feeling a lot of uncertainty right now. She's still adjusting and probably feeling a fair amount of insecurity. A crate would give her her own space, where predictable things happen while you are gone. Stressful events can trigger hormones that last in the body for days, so if she's feeling at all anxious, you're doing her a disfavor by leaving her to her own devices. Weigh potential boredom versus peace of mind.

And it's not like crating now means crating forever. Crating training is great for other things too, like surprise trips where your dog needs to be contained. If they're already comfortable in a crate, then life is that much easier.

All of this. And most dogs will settle into a routine of sleeping all day when the people are at work. During the time I have been jobless, my dogs have laid around like happy slugs even though I am home. They would be equally as happy in a crate, and in fact I now have to kennel Delta because she forgot what being housetrained means. She goes straight in and is very happy to be there. Even when we are home in the evening, sometimes she will choose to go lay in the open crate instead of on the couch.

• Locked thread