Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Shellman posted:

I'm pretty happy with my T3i, though I wish in retrospect that I had splurged for a 60d (weather sealed, faster shutter speed if you need that, pentaprism, more cross type AF points, top screen with exposure settings shown on it...) Have you looked on KEH to check used prices there? They give a pretty good description of the quality you can expect when buying a used body. As far as lenses go, zooms are nice for adjusting your composition easily. I love my primes, by 'cheap prime' I am assuming they're talking about the nifty fifty and that'll be a little tight on a crop body, depending on what you like to shoot. (80 mm equivalent). It also sounds like it is full of bees, and feels like a kid's toy. Canon's 40mm 2.8 is a little more natural field of view, but also pricier.

The 60D isn't weathersealed, though everything else is correct. I would also recommend looking at the Pentax K-30 since it is weathersealed, has a pentaprism, and has a great selection of lenses. If you are planning on moving up to full frame, then a Canon would be a better selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

HolyDukeNukem posted:

The 60D isn't weathersealed, though everything else is correct. I would also recommend looking at the Pentax K-30 since it is weathersealed, has a pentaprism, and has a great selection of lenses. If you are planning on moving up to full frame, then a Canon would be a better selection.

Huh, guess the reviews I was looking at were wrong. Well, that's good then, that was the main reason I was looking at one. I'm probably going to go full-frame when I eventually upgrade--didn't feel like it would be worth the cost upgrading from the t3i to the 60d at this point. I would love to look at Pentax, 'cept I'm too in love with my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 (buy a Sigma 18-35 f1.8) and too invested in canon lenses to go to a non-canon-mount camera at this point. It'll be sad enough losing my ability to use that lens on a full frame. :(

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Shellman posted:

Huh, guess the reviews I was looking at were wrong. Well, that's good then, that was the main reason I was looking at one. I'm probably going to go full-frame when I eventually upgrade--didn't feel like it would be worth the cost upgrading from the t3i to the 60d at this point. I would love to look at Pentax, 'cept I'm too in love with my Sigma 18-35 f1.8 (buy a Sigma 18-35 f1.8) and too invested in canon lenses to go to a non-canon-mount camera at this point. It'll be sad enough losing my ability to use that lens on a full frame. :(
Check the reviews. I think most of the new Sigma Art series lenses convert well over to full frame with only minor vignetting. I know I've used my 30/1.4 on a 5D3 and it worked out fine for a quick shoot.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Wario In Real Life posted:

Check the reviews. I think most of the new Sigma Art series lenses convert well over to full frame with only minor vignetting. I know I've used my 30/1.4 on a 5D3 and it worked out fine for a quick shoot.

Popped it on the roomie's rented 6d and you can see the image circle on the wide end. :( Pretty bad vignetting at 35mm too, but could probably be corrected in post. It's designed for APS-C sensors.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Aww shucks. It really is a hell of a lens though.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Anybody has any experience with close-up filters? I'm thinking about picking up a set to take some macros for fun. What should I look out for? If I'm on a budget but stay with the reputable brands like HOYA and Vivitar I should be fine yeah?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rexelation posted:

Anybody has any experience with close-up filters? I'm thinking about picking up a set to take some macros for fun. What should I look out for? If I'm on a budget but stay with the reputable brands like HOYA and Vivitar I should be fine yeah?

They kinda suck but they're also an absurdly cheap way to get into doing macro stuff. I bought a set of bullshit Kenko ones and got some relatively passable shots.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
For cheap macro work I got a $10 set of extension tubes. Best $10 I've ever spent. No autofocus and you have to pre-set your aperture before putting the tubes on, but the effect is worth it.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 20, 2013

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

rexelation posted:

I have some cheap-oh chinese ones from ebay that while far from stelar make quite decent pictures, especially for the 10 bucks I spent on the set.

edit: Some uninspired flower examples with an 120mm equivalent + 4x close-up generic filter on a Nex-3. Full resolution. No sharpening or other editing, just some colour correction.

DSC07042MOD por Primosky, no Flickr

DSC07130mod por Primosky, no Flickr

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 20, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Good enough for :10bux:!

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Sweet, thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'm buying the set!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SpoopyMonkey posted:

They kinda suck but they're also an absurdly cheap way to get into doing macro stuff. I bought a set of bullshit Kenko ones and got some relatively passable shots.
Or get a reversing ring and some old manual-aperture 50mm lens.

Nibelheim
Jul 7, 2006

A big thanks to this thread. I just purchased my first DSLR after playing with a t2i for a few months.

Grabbed a used 7D with the nifty fifty for 610$ CA. Just over 10k clics, everything seems solid.

Time to learn!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I'm not sure if this is a better question for here or for the flash thread, but I'll try here first. I'm looking to pick up a flash to go with my D5100 and am trying to wrap my head around what I want to look for in a starter flash. I'd be mostly using it for taking photos around the house, like at a dinner party, although I'd be interested in trying some of the stuff the Understanding Exposure guy talks about in that one section about using a flash off camera.

Given that I'm just starting out, and given that I have lenses I want to prioritize in my camera budget, I don't want to spend a great deal on the flash -- something like the SB-700 is more than I'm looking to spend at the moment. After some research, I'm considering a few Yongnuo flashes that seem to be generally well reviewed -- the YN-468 II i-TTL, the YN 560 III, and the YN-565EX ETTL.

The price range of these ($75-$108, from what I currently see on Amazon) is close enough that I'd be comfortable getting any of them. But trying to figure out which different features I should care about that is bending my noodle. If I'm understanding this right, the 560 is entirely manual, the 468 will work with Nikon's TTL technology when it's in the hot shoe (but not when it's off), and the 565EX will work with the TTL both in the hot shoe and off. They all can be fired by radio triggers while off the camera. The 468 and 565EX can also function as slave units when the built-in flash on the D5100 fires (I'm not 100% sure about this). Is all that right? Are some or all of those features I should focus on for a starter flash -- like is a flash that has TTL better, or is it better to start out with a manual flash? Other considerations?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has about these, or features to look for in a starter flash, or any other options that I'm not considering.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hi guys, my lady has been on and off talking about getting into photography here and there over the last year or so and so I'm thinking of getting her a DSLR for Christmas. She's allso about to finish school doing interior design, so I figure it will really come in handy to have a decent camera as she starts moving more into that field.

So I found a Canon EOS Rebel T3 going for $299. Looks like a great deal to me, would you guys say it's worth while pulling the trigger on, or would I be better off grabbing something else. I know the OP mentions megapixels don't really matter nowadays, but I'm seeing a lot of point and shoot looking cameras on sale for a lot less with way higher MP ratings. Just looking for a bit of guidance as I really don't know what I'm doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
DO NOT BUY A T3! AT ALL!

The T series without the trailing "i" is the beginner poo poo-series. Consider spending a few bucks more and go for the T3i. It has more features and a better sensor. Thank Canon's confusing branding for that.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

:toot: thankyou very much. bullet dodged!

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
Hey goons, I need your advice. I'm looking to buy my first DSLR for mostly wildlife and other outdoor photography. My budget is around $800-900 for a body and 2-3 lenses. I'd like to buy used as much as possible to squeeze the most out of my budget. From what I can tell, the Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000 seem to be the best bodies I can find for $500-600. Which system should I go with?

In either case, I'd like to get at least one prime and one zoom lens. So far, I'm looking at a 50 mm f/1.8 lens ($180 for Pentax, $210 for Nikon) and a 50-200 mm f/4-5.6 lens ($80 for Pentax, $120 for Nikon). I was thinking of skipping the 18-55 mm kit lens. Is there any reason to buy one? Am I fine with the 50 mm lens or should I go for a 35 mm as my first prime lens?

My heart isn't set on either body or lens combination so if you have any suggestions outside of what I've listed, I'd love to hear it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I'm partial to the K-5 because that's what I own, and I am a huge Pentax fanboy.

The K-5 is a really great, solid camera and you can't really go wrong with it. I imagine that the new K-3 has depressed the price on the K-5. I bought my K-5 with the 18-55 from the Amazon warehouse for about $800 I think.

What I really like about shooting Pentax is that there's so much K-Mount glass that you can get for it for not a lot of money. You should be able to find a large selection of manual focus lenses that have quality optics for $20 and below.

The 18-55 is not a bad lens. If you're looking to have a wider angle than 50mm then it's decent to have. I have the Tamron 17-50 and, honestly, I use it mostly on the wider end. I primarily shoot landscapes. For wildlife photography you probably don't need such a wide lens. I have that 50-200 lens. It's pretty nice, especially for something you can get with autofocus for under $100.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you're going for the d7000, you can also get the 50mm F1.8d, which is usually around $100. If you go with a cheaper Nikon (D3xxx, D5xxx), then you'd have to get the 50mm F1.8G ($200ish) The D uses the autofocus motor inside the body to do the autofocussing, while the G has the motor inside the lens.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Seems kinda dumb to get a 50mm prime and zoom that starts at 50 too. 50mm is really tight, reconsider the kit 18-55 or a 35/1.8.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
For crop I would go Pentax no question. IBIS + all dat vintage glass.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

kopasetic posted:

Hey goons, I need your advice. I'm looking to buy my first DSLR for mostly wildlife and other outdoor photography. My budget is around $800-900 for a body and 2-3 lenses. I'd like to buy used as much as possible to squeeze the most out of my budget. From what I can tell, the Pentax K-5 and the Nikon D7000 seem to be the best bodies I can find for $500-600. Which system should I go with?

In either case, I'd like to get at least one prime and one zoom lens. So far, I'm looking at a 50 mm f/1.8 lens ($180 for Pentax, $210 for Nikon) and a 50-200 mm f/4-5.6 lens ($80 for Pentax, $120 for Nikon). I was thinking of skipping the 18-55 mm kit lens. Is there any reason to buy one? Am I fine with the 50 mm lens or should I go for a 35 mm as my first prime lens?

My heart isn't set on either body or lens combination so if you have any suggestions outside of what I've listed, I'd love to hear it.

Nikon Df with 35mm F2 AIS. :snoop:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You should mosdef get a 35 instead.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ZippySLC posted:

I'm partial to the K-5 because that's what I own, and I am a huge Pentax fanboy.
This is me, too. I love my K-5 and I use it whenever I can for birds.

The kit 18-55 zoom is my most-used lens, it's a very useful range and it's by no means a bad lens. Plus it's not at all expensive. Pick one up, you'll find yourself using it. You might be able to find a K-5 2-lens kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 kit zooms, for well under your budget, leaving room for a nifty fifty - you won't need a DA-50mm/1.8 if you can find a F-50 or FA-50mm lens (at either f/1.8 or f/1.4) second-hand for about the same money.

PentaxForums are currently advertising K-5 II for $599 as a "black friday" deal, or the K-5 II with the 18-135mm kit superzoom (which is actually apparently a quite good lens - and the weathersealing is good enough that people do silly things like bury their camera with one mounted, dig it up, and go shooting) for $799.

For budget-price longer glass (i.e. birds) the Tamron 70-300 is highly recommended around here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

kopasetic posted:

KEH has some great black Friday stuff thru the weekend.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Great deals, although it's so depressing that Nikon has so many lenses I would like for so much cheaper than I can get for my Canon. Sad face.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I just received this from keh.com for my Canon 30D

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DC09999119994J?r=FE

Did I gently caress up because I can't for the life of me figure out how to put the lens on the camera. Are they not compatible? It's definitely the Canon verson of the lens too.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

You should mosdef get a 35 instead.

I get this weird facial tic and urge to commit violence whenever people talk about a "normal" lens, but as a 35 1.8-haver I can confirm that this lens is an absurdly good value for your money, a great after-kit-lens purchase, and looks real nice on a crop sensor.

If your camera body has screw-drive though, the 50 1.8D is still worth picking up later if not just due to how absurdly cheap it is used and how ridiculously sharp it is.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ramms+ein posted:

I just received this from keh.com for my Canon 30D

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DC09999119994J?r=FE

Did I gently caress up because I can't for the life of me figure out how to put the lens on the camera. Are they not compatible? It's definitely the Canon verson of the lens too.

I'm not Canon guy, but that looks like a lens that should be perfectly compatible with the 30D, maybe Tamron puts its alignment marks in a weird place? Not that this is a Good Idea all the time, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to just gently turn the bayonet around until it slides in on its own (and locks in the appropriate direction).

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I've tried doing that. So my 50mm completely covers the metal ring where as the Tamron feels loose like it isn't supposed to fit.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

maybe you should take a picture of the lens you recieved to show it to us.

that'd be a little easier to make sense of

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm not Canon guy, but that looks like a lens that should be perfectly compatible with the 30D, maybe Tamron puts its alignment marks in a weird place? Not that this is a Good Idea all the time, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to just gently turn the bayonet around until it slides in on its own (and locks in the appropriate direction).

Yeah, "put it against the mount more-or-less upright, and go a half-turn back and forth 'til it clicks into place" has never failed me, and I used Nikon and Olympus cameras at the same time for a few years (they turn in opposite directions).

Maybe they accidentally sent him one with the wrong mount? But he's sure it's a Canon mount, and the big three are fairly obviously different, so I don't know. Maybe there was a fuckup at the factory and he got a lens with Canon electrical contacts and a Nikon bayonet ring.

Seconding "post a picture of the back end of the lens".

scottch posted:

Seems kinda dumb to get a 50mm prime and zoom that starts at 50 too. 50mm is really tight, reconsider the kit 18-55 or a 35/1.8.
The standard wisdom is to not have any overlap. Get an 18-50ish and a 70-300 (or 50-200, etc). My newspaper-issue kit for crop-sensor Nikons was a 17-35mm and 80-200mm, with a single 300mm prime that we all shared, all f/2.8.

The f/1.8 is not included in the rule, though. Assuming you're not corporate-funded, a cheap f/1.8 is nice to have even if it does overlap, if you're into taking pictures when it's so dark you can't really see through the viewfinder. 50mm is kinda long for an APS-C sensor, though, so I agree that you should get the 35mm for the fast lens. And it should be your third lens -- get the wide and long zooms first, even if they're a bit slow, because they're more useful in the big scheme of things.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 30, 2013

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Turns out they sent me a Nikon Tamron. I tried it on my girlfriend's Nikon and it fit no problem. Wish there some sort of markings on the lens to indicate whether or not it was for a Canon or Nikon.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ramms+ein posted:

It's definitely the Canon verson of the lens too.

Ramms+ein posted:

Turns out they sent me a Nikon Tamron. I tried it on my girlfriend's Nikon and it fit no problem. Wish there some sort of markings on the lens to indicate whether or not it was for a Canon or Nikon.

So I was right.

Protip: Nikon lenses have the electrical contacts at the top, Canon at the bottom. There's your markings.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 30, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Delivery McGee posted:

Protip: Nikon lenses have the electrical contacts at the top, Canon at the bottom. There's your markings.

Also Nikon's contacts are little springy pins, I think Canon just uses flat contacts on the lenses.

...and the mechanical aperture lever should have been a tip-off.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Thank you thread. I'm the proud owner of a new Canon T3i. I'm going on a round-the-world trip starting this summer and wanted to get a camera now so I have time to learn how to use it. I'm taking a couple classes starting in January to help with that.

The camera came with a EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, which from reading seems to be a pretty good all around lens. Anything else you guys would recommend me picking up between now and July that would be good for this kind of trip? I'm fairly trying to be fairly conservative in regards to weight, but a second lens isn't going to break me.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

mintskoal posted:

Thank you thread. I'm the proud owner of a new Canon T3i. I'm going on a round-the-world trip starting this summer and wanted to get a camera now so I have time to learn how to use it. I'm taking a couple classes starting in January to help with that.

The camera came with a EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, which from reading seems to be a pretty good all around lens. Anything else you guys would recommend me picking up between now and July that would be good for this kind of trip? I'm fairly trying to be fairly conservative in regards to weight, but a second lens isn't going to break me.

[obligatory 50mm f/1.8 recommendation]

e: either that or the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

[obligatory 50mm f/1.8 recommendation] Well I guess except the Canon one is poorly built idiot garbage.

e: either that or the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

The Tamron would probably end up being a useful thing to have though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

The Tamron would probably end up being a useful thing to have though.

Awesome, thanks a ton both of you.

• Locked thread