Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Did he answer/did anyone ask any questions about his horse, Sea of Gibraltar or whatever it was called.

Rock of Gilbraltar and part of his out of court settlement with Magnier was that neither of them are allowed to talk about it.

That's been known for ages so it was pretty lol when the footy hacks got mad he didn't do a big "this is what really happened" in his bio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sircozzie posted:

Cool post Ninpo.

I found this interesting: http://www.football-italia.net/42269/ref-who-saw-zidane-hit-materazzi

Bit of an insight as to what was going through the head of the guy who sent Zidane off at the WC in 2006.

Amazing that he almost got away with headbutting someone in a world cup final

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Did he answer/did anyone ask any questions about his horse, Sea of Gibraltar or whatever it was called.

Unfortunately the Q+A part got cut because bad traffic made a load of people turn up late. Rock of Gibraltar wasn't mentioned though hehe.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Amazing that he almost got away with headbutting someone in a world cup final

Disgusting that he didn't you mean?
Zidane headbutting that oval office and scoring the winner would have been truly magical.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DickEmery posted:

Disgusting that he didn't you mean?
Zidane headbutting that oval office and scoring the winner would have been truly magical.

What is it about French football magicians and being able to easily forgive violent transgressions?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Lot 49 posted:

Rock of Gilbraltar and part of his out of court settlement with Magnier was that neither of them are allowed to talk about it.

He must've nicked it from somewhere

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Ninpo posted:

What is it about French football magicians and being able to easily forgive violent transgressions?

Great sportsmen are so much better when they are a bit wrong in the head, thats why Messi is such a boring best player in the world.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Happy Thanksgiving from USA CB Omar Gonzalez

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gourcuff scored a pretty good disallowed goal last night. Ref had already blown for a foul when he took the shot

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

lol

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Scott Bakula posted:

Gourcuff scored a pretty good disallowed goal last night. Ref had already blown for a foul when he took the shot

One of those "defy physics" goals. I loving love it op

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Ninpo posted:

Is that you, Craiglen?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Scott Bakula posted:

goalie clearly heard the whistle and only made a half hearted attempt to catch here

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sainsos jumper with a stoke badge added?? Shameful.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Don't worry Crystal Palace fans: Crystal Palace to stay up, aliens tell Bromley woman who 'used to be Joan of Arc'

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.

Mickey Mouse Club

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Sainsos jumper with a stoke badge added?? Shameful.

I think we've done the same thing

I'm looking forward to when we release a DVD about the great Christmas jumper of 2013 imo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

This is beautiful.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

P. solid punditry this, sign her up ITV

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
What the hell happened to Gourcuff, was he ever even good or what

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

irlZaphod posted:

Dalymount Park, home of Bohemian FC, in 1985

That's a great photo, who are they playing, do you know?

edit: Turns out it's Ireland v Italy, according to a reverse image search. Sounds like an interesting affair...

quote:

Despite their failure to qualify for EURO 1984 in France, the Italians were still a huge draw for the Irish soccer public. Due to the demands of Italian TV the match was played at floodlit Dalymount Park. It was a long time before

UEFA Licensing and so 40,000 people crammed into Dalymount. The game kicked off 15 minutes late due to overcrowding at the North Circular gate. Stewarding was virtually non-existant and Gardai claimed that they had no choice but to just open up one entrance gate in order to avoid a crush. This inevitably caused a further crush in the stand and hundreds of supporters were forced to sit on any free space they could find along the side of the pitch.

Further to overcrowding problems, a stilesman was attacked and £1500 of gate money stolen. If that was not enough to keep the Gardai present busy both sets of teams had to force their way through supporters to get to the dressing rooms at half-time. In the second half, the match was delayed further when protestors invaded the pitch with a large “brutality in Portlaoise” banner.

Italian TV were also unhappy. As the match was live on Italian TV (but not Irish TV which further contributed to demand for tickets) most of the advertising hoarding was directed at the Italian market but was obscured by spectators..

The match itself was, despite it all, an entertaining affair. It started disastrously for Ireland. After just five minutes, Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson tripped Alessandro Altobelli inside the box. Not only was a penalty awarded but Lawrenson broke his collar bone in the incident and was rushed to hospital (he later revealed he woke up alone in hospital with nothing but his Ireland socks and shorts!). Juventus striker Paulo Rossi converted the penalty past Packie Bonner. Bruno Conti, the man outfoxed by Bruce Grobbelaar’s spaghetti legs in the previous year’s European Cup final, set up Altobelli for Italy’s second goal after 18 minutes. Ireland fought back bravely. Franco Tancredi was forced to make a great save from a long range Chris Hughton effort and the keeper soon denied Frank Stapelton. Ronnie Whelan was unfortunate to see his effort cleared off the line.

Ireland finally made the breakthrough after 53 minutes. Stapleton supplied Queen’s Park Rangers midfielder Gary Waddock outside the box and he swept home a beautiful shot past Tancredi from 20 yards. This set up a frantic final half-hour when Tancredi saved brilliantly from a Liam Brady free kick. Kevin Sheedy also had strong claims for a penalty rejected after a tackle by new Ireland assistant manager Marco Tardelli. Italy held on for a 2-1 win.

Link

gently caress me, 40k in Dalymount.

This ground, for those wondering.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 30, 2013

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Paperhouse posted:

What the hell happened to Gourcuff, was he ever even good or what

He looked good that one season he was on loan at Bordeaux. That's about it

Though he did score this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysORKa4ed2I

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

He looked good that one season he was on loan at Bordeaux. That's about it

Though he did score this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysORKa4ed2I

Probably one of the best individual goals ever scored, what a ridiculous piece of skill. It still blows my mind every time I see it.

Shame Gourcuff himself turned out to be such a letdown.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's very posh and a bit rascist, never fit into the lad culture of the FMNT that has brought them such success over the years.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Its someones birthday today

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

The Class of '92 posted:

As part of his hazing ritual for joining Manchester United, a young David Beckham had to jerk off to a picture of Clayton Blackmore in front of his jeering teammates.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 30, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mickolution posted:

That's a great photo, who are they playing, do you know?

edit: Turns out it's Ireland v Italy, according to a reverse image search. Sounds like an interesting affair...

Link

gently caress me, 40k in Dalymount.

This ground, for those wondering.
loving hell, that's mental. I had just seen it posted on Twitter with no context, I'd never heard that story before. In fact, I thought at first it was from 1965, not 1985, just because I didn't think there would be crowds that big at a League of Ireland ground after the 60s. It sounds like they were lucky no-one died, 40k bloody hell.

e: Here's an article about it
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/seconds-from-disaster-26571556.html

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 30, 2013

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I hadn't heard it either, just did a reverse image search as I was curious about it. Seems crazy that it wasn't on TV, too.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ahahahaha. Was that from today's game?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Surprised he didn't go off injured

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

blood bags innit

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

hahahahahahahaahah

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Scott Bakula posted:

First thing I thought of as well.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Hahah oh Jesus robben is hilarious.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

What tripped Diouf all over again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Soulex posted:

What tripped Diouf all over again.

Someone gif him falling at the same time Fidel does on that stage.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

lads a bit special isn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Modus Trollens posted: