Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Doesn't look like your issue is a rogue process, but if it is, you can turn on developer mode in Cydia and download top.

Just SSH into your phone and run the top command. Great for viewing the running processes and see what's killing your battery. CPU percentage is the key metric, though I worry about anyone who doesn't know that and is browsing this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Thank you for the advice. I have a decent dev/programming background but I've never had to dig into iOS. It just seems so random that all of a sudden this would occur (btw started typing this at 80% battery and now at 44%, something is clearly wrong).

Thanks for the hello this far fellow goons, much appreciated.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah if no process is chewing it up and your cellular reception isn't absolute poo poo it sounds like you'll need to swap that battery.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I'm always been woken up by the vibration motor whirring against the table, rather than the alarm. I don't like that. None of the standard vibration options in Settings affect the alarm in Clock, only ringtones and other alerts. I've searched Cydia, but haven't been able to find anything to disable vibration, like an sbssettings toggle. Is there a jailbreak option that lets me turn that poo poo off?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Turn of vibrations when on silent.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah I'm not jail broken, but my phone never vibrates even with alarms.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Doesn't look like your issue is a rogue process, but if it is, you can turn on developer mode in Cydia and download top.

Just SSH into your phone and run the top command. Great for viewing the running processes and see what's killing your battery. CPU percentage is the key metric, though I worry about anyone who doesn't know that and is browsing this thread.

Just ran top -u , nothing seems out of the ordinary (after that the phone died with allegedly 68% left according to Battery Doctor Pro). Last try will be to strip down all I can in cydia, otherwise it's time to replace the battery.

Thanks again for the help.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Just ran top -u , nothing seems out of the ordinary (after that the phone died with allegedly 68% left according to Battery Doctor Pro). Last try will be to strip down all I can in cydia, otherwise it's time to replace the battery.

Thanks again for the help.

If you want to take it in to the Apple store for a battery replacement you can always turn off/uninstall any obvious JB-related tweaks and hide the Cydia icon through SBSettings..

I'm not sure how thoroughly any random Genius will go digging for a JB if they have no outward signs that you've done anything to the phone.

e: But they are likely to suggest that you update to iOS 7 to see if that alleviates your troubles, obviously

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 23, 2013

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty comfortable with electronics and there's an oem battery seller on amazon that is having an ongoing Black Friday sale, I'll probably go that route. Guess the battery is just a dud.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

If you want to take it in to the Apple store for a battery replacement you can always turn off/uninstall any obvious JB-related tweaks and hide the Cydia icon through SBSettings..

I'm not sure how thoroughly any random Genius will go digging for a JB if they have no outward signs that you've done anything to the phone.

e: But they are likely to suggest that you update to iOS 7 to see if that alleviates your troubles, obviously

I'm no uhh, genius, but couldn't they just double tap the status bar to see if SB settings drops down?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

nrr posted:

I'm no uhh, genius, but couldn't they just double tap the status bar to see if SB settings drops down?

You can change the method of activation through Activator.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty comfortable with electronics and there's an oem battery seller on amazon that is having an ongoing Black Friday sale, I'll probably go that route. Guess the battery is just a dud.

I broke my iPhone 4 while replacing the battery. The thing must have got hot once (or more) and the female battery connector sort of fused to the male connector on the board. When I yanked hard enough, the board connector came right off.

Be wary of that should you want to avoid having to sell your iPhone for spare parts.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Bummey posted:

I'm always been woken up by the vibration motor whirring against the table, rather than the alarm. I don't like that. None of the standard vibration options in Settings affect the alarm in Clock, only ringtones and other alerts. I've searched Cydia, but haven't been able to find anything to disable vibration, like an sbssettings toggle. Is there a jailbreak option that lets me turn that poo poo off?

Not sure why the other posters suggested to turn off vibrate. That's a pain in the rear end to do every night if you want vibrate on during the day, and the whole reason to be jailbroken is to avoid pain-in-the-rear end scenarios.

There's a way to edit specific vibrations via a .plist file (I've disabled the vibration that happens when I plug in my phone), but this tweak is pretty much what you want:

http://www.ilovesmartphones.net/iphone/novibratedwakeup-turn-off-the-alarm-vibration/

I may use it myself!

Edit: found another cool tweak to avoid table vibrations (and enable do not disturb mode automatically when your iPhone is placed upside down....which may kill your battery):

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/08/myvibe/

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 24, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hey, thanks, I'll give that a shot. It doesn't exactly do it, since there are some Clock alarms I might want to vibrate, but for now it'll do the trick.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Not sure why the other posters suggested to turn off vibrate. That's a pain in the rear end to do every night

This cracked me up. Hilarious.

Anyway, his advice is good,

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is there any way to backup an installed cydia app to install onto another device?

I updated to the latest version of Background Manager on my iphone and it's putting it into a reboot loop that won't stop until I delete the tweak after holding the volume up button while booting. I also tried the guy's beta version which was meant to fix this problem, but no luck there either. I've got the older version on my fiancee's iphone and I would like to install that one onto mine (purchased using my google account). Is there anything I can do?

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 25, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I have a 5th gen iTouch running 6.1.3

After a few months of waiting I searched around for a JB for my device and I found these two. Everywhere else I look says there is no 6.1.3 A5+ JB so are these sites legit? They also say they have 7.x JBs.

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice

Machai posted:

I have a 5th gen iTouch running 6.1.3

After a few months of waiting I searched around for a JB for my device and I found these two. Everywhere else I look says there is no 6.1.3 A5+ JB so are these sites legit? They also say they have 7.x JBs.

Given that the official evad3rs site evasi0n.com has no record of those JBs, I'd say those other ones are scams, but I haven't actively followed any of them in a while.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Definitely not legit

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

ihatepants posted:

Is there any way to backup an installed cydia app to install onto another device?

I updated to the latest version of Background Manager on my iphone and it's putting it into a reboot loop that won't stop until I delete the tweak after holding the volume up button while booting. I also tried the guy's beta version which was meant to fix this problem, but no luck there either. I've got the older version on my fiancee's iphone and I would like to install that one onto mine (purchased using my google account). Is there anything I can do?

Try manage account tab on the front page of cydia?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have an old jailbroken 3GS that I was planning on wiping. I went to settings and did this erase all data option and it restarted. It showed the Apple logo with the moving throbber over it and I left it going. I come back to it the next day and it's still got the same image showing (it's plugged into power), but the throbber isn't moving. If I unplug it and leave it, when I come back to it it shows a flat battery and I plug it in again, whereupon it shows the Apple image with the moving throbber, which then stops moving etc.

I THINK it's on 4.0.2 but I am not sure. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this please?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Anjow posted:

I have an old jailbroken 3GS that I was planning on wiping. I went to settings and did this erase all data option and it restarted. It showed the Apple logo with the moving throbber over it and I left it going. I come back to it the next day and it's still got the same image showing (it's plugged into power), but the throbber isn't moving. If I unplug it and leave it, when I come back to it it shows a flat battery and I plug it in again, whereupon it shows the Apple image with the moving throbber, which then stops moving etc.

I THINK it's on 4.0.2 but I am not sure. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this please?

Doing 'Erase all' on a jailbroken iPhone is a bad idea, now you're in a boot loop. Try holding down both the power and home buttons to get it unstuck. Put it in recovery mode and restore a fresh OS on it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

spongeworthy posted:

Doing 'Erase all' on a jailbroken iPhone is a bad idea, now you're in a boot loop. Try holding down both the power and home buttons to get it unstuck. Put it in recovery mode and restore a fresh OS on it.

Thanks a lot, I googled how to do that and now I'm back on the right track. Wish I'd investigated this further before doing erase all.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm visiting family for Thanksgiving and they've handed me an iPhone 4s, asking that I jailbreak it.

I see that it's running iOS 7, and from scanning this thread it looks like that will be a problem. I've gathered the following info, please correct me if I am wrong:

- There is no free Jailbreak for iOS 7 (evasi0n does not work, for example)
- There might be paid jailbreaks, but the websites distributing them frankly look like some scammy bullshit
- There might be a way to downgrade to iOS 6 using that umbrella app, but this phone is newly purchased and the owner hasn't saved a blob to restore with (I may be misunderstanding how this application works)

Is there anything to be done here?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's no jailbreak for ios7.

Never pay for a jailbreak. They're either fake or repackaged free tools. A ripoff both ways, and maybe malware too.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is there anything to be done here?

Not yet. It's stuck until an iOS7 jb comes out.

And yeah, never pay for a jailbreak.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
What could you possibly want out of a jailbreak if you're not intelligent enough to jailbreak it yourself?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
derp

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 29, 2013

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Calm down dudes; the person I am trying to help is quite smart, he just doesn't keep up on tech trends.

He wants to use the jailbroken phone as a wireless hotspot with a new carrier, that's all. Knowing his needs, jailbreaking probably is his best option.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Several (most?) US carriers include tethering free if you're not clinging to a grandfathered unlimited plan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Need some help guys!

I have a jailbroken iphone 5 on 6.1.2. I'm away for the next longwhile and have no computer and limited wifi. So restoring is not an option at all.

A couple days ago I started getting issues with apps like the awful app and trials xtreme. The apps would freeze up and not load and I'd uninstall/reinstall and sometimes awful would work again. I've done it at least 4 times. Then the browser started freezing if I was typing a lot of text. I closed it out and reopened and eventually it'd work again then do the same poo poo.

Now anytime I magnify text it freezes up in the app it's in and I have to home button out. I already did "reset all settings." and deleted action menu because it's the only cydia app that does something when I magnify text. Other apps are having issues opening as well. Any other ideas? I've already rebooted and hard reset (Home/power button)many times to no avail

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 2, 2013

almighty
Mar 9, 2011

Christoff posted:

Need some help guys!

I have a jailbroken iphone 5 on 6.1.2. I'm away for the next longwhile and have no computer and limited wifi. So restoring is not an option at all.

A couple days ago I started getting issues with apps like the awful app and trials xtreme. The apps would freeze up and not load and I'd uninstall/reinstall and sometimes awful would work again. I've done it at least 4 times. Then the browser started freezing if I was typing a lot of text. I closed it out and reopened and eventually it'd work again then do the same poo poo.

Now anytime I magnify text it freezes up in the app it's in and I have to home button out. I already did "reset all settings." and deleted action menu because it's the only cydia app that does something when I magnify text. Other apps are having issues opening as well. Any other ideas? I've already rebooted and hard reset (Home/power button)many times to no avail

Please keep pressing volume up as your device boots and check if the problem persists once boot up is finished.This will determine whether a mobile substrate related Cydia add on is the culprit or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Never heard of that before but I tried it and nothing. I did update a couple things in cydia almost a week ago but I didn't have any issues up until a couple days ago. Other than that I haven't really installed anything.

I'm not sure where to start with uninstalling stuff in cydia. Like I said, no issues before.

Here's what I have -

Activator
Active Dock
Alarming
Applist
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method
Auxo
Barrel
Bolt
Bigboss Icon Set
Bug fix: stuck pages
Cydia Installer
Cydia Translations
evasion jailbreak
f.lux
fakeclockup
icleaner
irealsms 3
iSHSHit
Live battery indicator
Mobile Substrate
MXtube
Nitrous
Openbacup
Pandoraskips
Pull to dismiss
Respringcachefix
Showcase
Springtomize 2
Satusbarcustomclock4
Substrate Safe Mode
Swipeselection
Swipesiri
TCP Optomizer
Transparent Camera bar
VoiceUTIls
Volume Sensitivity
Winterboard
Zephyr
Zeppelin
Battery Doctor Pro
3g Unrestrictor

Please help :(

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I'd give this a try if I were you:

http://ilexrat.com/

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

Need some help guys!

Would like to be helpful here but I've been unjailbroken for some time now and you've got a few things installed that I've never heard of before.

Do you recall what those most recent packages that updated were?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'll try that ilexrat thing if all else fails.

I can't remember exactly what I updated but I don't believe it was apps. I think the last app I remember updating in cydia was batterydoctorpro. Other than that I don't remember too many drastic changes. I'll try uninstalling batterydoctorpro but I doubt that's it.

Is there a way to check what you updated in cydia chronologically?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

I'll try that ilexrat thing if all else fails.

I can't remember exactly what I updated but I don't believe it was apps. I think the last app I remember updating in cydia was batterydoctorpro. Other than that I don't remember too many drastic changes. I'll try uninstalling batterydoctorpro but I doubt that's it.

Is there a way to check what you updated in cydia chronologically?

If you scroll down in the Changes tab you should eventually come across your installed packages among all the other recently released/updated items.

What are Swipe Selection and Pull to Dismiss?

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 5, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Swipe selection lets you slide your finger across the keyboard and move the cursor. (Highly recommend) I'm still using that with no issues.

Pull to dismiss closes the keyboard by scrolling "in apps and views where a scrolling list and a keyboard are shown together"

When I scroll through changes the only thing I see is a handful of apps changes in March at the very bottom

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
At what speed is your fakeclockup set to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It got reset when I reset all settings (still had issue after that) but I set it back to 1.4

I started deleting some apps to no a avail going to try ilexrat

Whatever it is is also draining my battery when my phone is asleep. I lose 20% overnight

-edit weird. I just ran ilexrat and deleted all things cydia but I'm still having the issue. Once it was done I ended up with a lot of things I've never heard of in cydia though. Looks like I'll have to figure out how to backup my phone and do option #2 in ilexrat that deletes all my apps/data

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread