Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
I've been wondering since I was little, who are the people in the Shadows of Amn emblem supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I always assumed it was Melissan.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I always assumed it was Melissan.

She doesn't show up till ToB though. I've always thought it is Ellesime and Irenicus(from when he was still a proper elf).

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Zilkin posted:

She doesn't show up till ToB though. I've always thought it is Ellesime and Irenicus(from when he was still a proper elf).

That's more plausible actually yea. I just saw the feathery headgear and connected it with Melissan but Ellesime also has a weird feather-hat.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I was in the kitchen moments ago and I turned on PBS for my 4 year old and 2 year old. Curious George was on. Great they like that. So I went to doing dishes from our feast yesterday and left them to watch. About 5 minutes into the show the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I heard Minsc from the living room. Theres no way that could be real. But sure as crap it is. The voice is absolutely unmistakable Minsc lives on playing an Italian chef on Curious George on PBS. Made me very nostalgic. The actor is doing the EXACT Minsc voice as well. How fun that was this morning

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Jim Cummings is practically everywhere, especially in Disney cartoons. I was pretty surprised to notice him in The Lion King, where he sings the last part of Scar's 'Be Prepared'. He does an amazing job of mimicking Jeremy Irons' voice.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right, he's like Steve Blum or Jennifer Hale, where you have to try to force the cork back into the VA bottle before it wrecks everything.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

inscrutable horse posted:

Jim Cummings is practically everywhere, especially in Disney cartoons. I was pretty surprised to notice him in The Lion King, where he sings the last part of Scar's 'Be Prepared'. He does an amazing job of mimicking Jeremy Irons' voice.

I guess what struck me is he is doing the exact Minsc voice. Oh well didnt know he was so prolific

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Buttkicking, for justice!

Say, I'm getting ready to play BGEE, is there a decent character guide/spoiler free walkthrough/checklist for powerful items and the like? Last time I played BG1 was at least eight years ago, so it is almost like the first time again.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The problem with Evil Carsomyr is that damage bonuses versus Good are essentially worthless. Most of the poo poo you fight in the game is evil no matter what.

While the lower damage certainly makes it inferior to the original Carsomyr, it's still a +5 sword, so on par with pretty much every non-Paladin 2-hander, and retains Carsomyr's most sought-after quality. I'd say Dorn is almost on par with Keldorn really - obviously, Carsomyr is better than evil Carsomyr, if not as much as most other 2-handers, and Dispel+True Seeing is better than Aura+drain+Poison - though the drain and aura really shouldn't be underestimated. But Dorn's much better non-sword unique items (and not hogging the Gauntlets of Dexterity) does a lot to pull him up to even footing, when considering the amazing items in-game are a limited resource. Actually, Draw Upon Holy Might doesn't take the Dex gloves into account does it? If not, Dorn does have +2 AC at higher levels from approaching 25 Dex as well, and at lower levels Dorn has +2 Str and Keldorn +3 Con (~10 HP total once DUHM gives Dorn 19, more below that).

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 29, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

uwu culture posted:

I've been wondering since I was little, who are the people in the Shadows of Amn emblem supposed to be?

An Indian and a werebeetle.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

TINA TURNER posted:

An Indian and a werebeetle.
Amn at the top and her shadow at the bottom.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

King Doom posted:

Anyone want to tell me how you start Hexxat's ToB questline? Just got given the Casque of Imprisonment in Amkethran and I have no idea what to do with it. Can't equip or use it at all.

Kinda got lost on the end of the last page so I'll quote myself - anyone have any idea what to do here? I have one area left to visit before I'm done with ToB and I'd like to get Hexxat's stuff done.

Edit: Nevermind, got it. You need to actually use the talk to button on her to start it.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 29, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Trying to move over to BG:EE from our BGT BG1 game, but Cooked is crashing when waiting in the lobby as the host of the game (as I try to join). Any ideas what's up with that?

Got an error message this time:
R6025 runtime error.

Only for the host.

Which would be a standard microsoft error for that:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wbddte9e.aspx
pure virtual function call

No object has been instantiated to handle the pure virtual function call.

If you are seeing this from an application, contact technical support for your application.

This error is caused by calling a virtual function in an abstract base class through a pointer which is created by a cast to the type of the derived class, but is actually a pointer to the base class. This can occur when casting from a void* to a pointer to a class when the void* was created during the construction of the base class.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 29, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

uwu culture posted:

I think it is supposed to be a stylized version of the symbol of Waukeen, patron goddess of Amn, with the dark, inverted copy of being a representation of the "shadow" of waukeen (amn)

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 29, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Notice the head on top has pointed ears whilst the one below doesn't. The top head is feminine while the bottom is more masculine. It could well be Ellesime and Irenicus.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
What's the best way to build a PC archer type? I'm not married to any particular class, just want to shoot the best arrows/bolts possible. Starting in BG1EE. No mods.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrower posted:

What's the best way to build a PC archer type? I'm not married to any particular class, just want to shoot the best arrows/bolts possible. Starting in BG1.

The Archer kit.

Not trying to be snarky, that's really all there is to it.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

The Archer kit.

I thought so, just wanted to check with the guru's to see if there was some hilarious op combo I was missing.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
That is the hilarious OP combo. Although less so in Throne of Bhaal.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Technically, if you really want to cheese things you should make the archer an elf with 19 dex. With the dex tome you get 20 dex. However you will probably loose that extra point of dex in Hell in BG2.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Replacing Hexxat with Jan is the best thing that ever happened to me. Best character in the game hands down. Everything he says is pure gold.

Was planning on eventually using Imoen as my thief in his place since she's story-centric but now I just don't want to at all. Do you miss out on a lot of plot stuff by not using her later?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

It's the annoyance of the 3 BG1 NPC mages. Dynaheir can't cast sleep and Xan can't cast magic missile, web or fireball (though he can cast skull trap). While Edwin can do both, he can't cast identify for all the magic loot you'll collect. Kind of makes me want to pull out my hair when I'm playing through as a non-wizard and trying to decide which one I want in the party.

I've never found identify to be must have in bg1. It saves a fair amount of gold I guess but you find such a massive amount of gold over the course of the game that you won't even notice it in the long run.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

The Archer kit.

Called Shot with IWW is great at crippling fools.

But, arrows/bows are nerfed in BG2:EE and most will only get the +THAC0 from enchantment, but not any +damage. Slings also get strength bonus to damage so once your archer gets 20+ STR slings outdps bows/crossbows and bullets still get +damage from enchantment. I can't remember if Archers are allowed to grandmastery slings, but if not just EEKeeper the proficiency points in. You should still put points into bows for situational use and for when you don't have a great sling, but a bow using Archer is even worse in EE than original BG2.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 29, 2013

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

According to the last patch notes, BG2:EE slings lost the strength bonus.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vigilance posted:

I've never found identify to be must have in bg1. It saves a fair amount of gold I guess but you find such a massive amount of gold over the course of the game that you won't even notice it in the long run.

But all that gold can be exchanged for delicious Wands and Arrows of Dispelling/Detonation at the Sorcerous Sundries.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

inscrutable horse posted:

According to the last patch notes, BG2:EE slings lost the strength bonus.

quote:

Slings and throwing daggers no longer grant a THAC0 bonus from Strength.
The bug was that both dex and str (I think) were giving THAC0 bonuses to slings. They still get damage bonus.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Corvinus posted:

Called Shot with IWW is great at crippling fools.

But, arrows/bows are nerfed in BG2:EE and most will only get the +THAC0 from enchantment, but not any +damage.

Only a handful of bows give bonus damage and, if I recall correctly, no arrows grant bonus damage. Crossbows, on the other hand, will absolutely grant bonus damage due to enchantment.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Kithrixx posted:

Only a handful of bows give bonus damage and, if I recall correctly, no arrows grant bonus damage. Crossbows, on the other hand, will absolutely grant bonus damage due to enchantment.

Yeah. Most bolts give no bonus damage, but the crossbows themselves usually have hefty +3 to +5 damage bonuses. For pure damage it's Slings > Crossbows > Bows, but you need a bow to use Arrows of Dispelling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
For an Archer in BG2, is there any real reason not to Grandmaster Crossbows and go grab the Firetooth right away?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

What do you guys think of crossbows in the EEs? Any ever worth using?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I just fast talked my way into the bandit camp! I didn't know you could do that. What the hell do I do now?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

For an Archer in BG2, is there any real reason not to Grandmaster Crossbows and go grab the Firetooth right away?

Nope. At 3.5 APR it's still quite a bit higher dps than Tuigan at 5 APR. A +2 sling with the same APR at 18/00 STR has the same dps, though, and the gap opens up with higher STR.

Alikchi posted:

Crossbow of Speed is pretty damned good and there's some in both 1 and 2. Then it's an early Firetooth +4 shortly after the opening of BG2.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 29, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I imported a F/M/T from ToB into BGI and he's naturally immune to normal weapons. He had the upgraded elven chain with that immunity equipped and I guess the game removes the armor but not the buff!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

MrTheDevious posted:

Replacing Hexxat with Jan is the best thing that ever happened to me. Best character in the game hands down. Everything he says is pure gold.

Was planning on eventually using Imoen as my thief in his place since she's story-centric but now I just don't want to at all. Do you miss out on a lot of plot stuff by not using her later?

Not really, no. That said, there's no such thing as too many arcane casters in the party, so feel free to boot someone else and have both.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alikchi posted:

In BG1, only one is really. I've always found it unfair that bows have a default of 2 APR while slings and crossbows only have 1, but the Light Crossbow of Speed from the blacksmith in Bereghost is ok because it gives +1 APR and Bolts of Lightning do more damage than any of the magic arrows or bullets (+4d4 damage, save for half). Despite those bolts being the best ranged ammo, an extra attack per round will lead to more damage anyway.

Best long bow is 2APR, +2 damage and +3 THAC0, best composite long bow is 2APR, +3 damage and +2 THAC0, and best short bow is 2APR, +2 damage and +2 THAC0.

Best crossbows are either 2APR, +1 damage and +1 THAC0 or 1APR, +2 damage and +5 THAC0.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So what sort of fun stuff can you do with use any item, bar the obvious getting past the kensai (and wizzard slayer?) disadvantages?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bunnielab posted:

Holy poo poo, I just fast talked my way into the bandit camp! I didn't know you could do that. What the hell do I do now?

Walk around looting everything in sight and then go into the main tent and beat up the big bads. Iirc you can go in there and kill them and it won't make the main camp hostile. So basically fast talking your way into the camp just makes beating it require less fighting as you only have to do the boss fight rather than massacre the whole camp.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Accretionist posted:

I imported a F/M/T from ToB into BGI and he's naturally immune to normal weapons. He had the upgraded elven chain with that immunity equipped and I guess the game removes the armor but not the buff!

Did you play through BG2? Because that's probably from the Hell trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Accretionist posted:

Was the character made in ToB? Because one of the trials of Bhaal at the end of SoA make you immune to +1 weapons or less if you pick the good option.