Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm looking for independent, analytical podcasts on UK politics and news. What would you suggest?

I enjoy listening to Dan Carlin's Common Sense - is there anything in that vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Steakwell
Jul 30, 2012

Len posted:

Are there any good podcasts of people playing tabletop rpgs?

I know it's been a while since the request, but I can't help but recommend this podcast http://peachesandhotsauce.com/category/podcasts/one-shot it's pretty new but has quickly become one of my favourites. It's essentially an improv group, plus guests, playing through a one shot adventure in a variety of systems, they most recently did an adventure in Call of Cthulu, but have also done Fung Shui and pathfinder.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else listen to the Chainsawsuit Podcast? I think Kris and Mikey are pretty great.

They tend to just jump from subject to subject at their own whims, but they talk about plenty of interesting things along with doing skits and fake commercials. They do fake movie reviews, take listener topics to talk about, and are generally fairly engaging.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
What is everyone's preferred (free; Android) podcast app? I had a lovely phone for a long time and used Acast and liked it pretty well, except for an annoying bug where you would have to click the podcast twice to get it to play. I recently bought a much nicer phone and tried BeyondPod until the free trial ran-out and I could no longer "update all" which is kind of a deal-breaker for me. Now I'm trying out AntennaPod and it seems pretty nice but I can't seem to find a way to sort by Most Recent Update, which is kind of another deal-breaker. I'm considering just going back to acast, which has all of the above features and maybe that bug was sorted out in later versions of Android, but I'm curious what everyone else uses.

Free please, I'll put up with ads or missing features to not have to pay for something like podcatching.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think I paid for it eventually but Pocket Casts is the only solution I've ever needed so it's easily worth whatever I paid.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts&hl=en

Honestly I've tried everything else out there and this is the only thing that came close to what I wanted. Everything else I've tried that's free has ranged from 'total poo poo' to 'pretty much entirely poo poo'.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm a big fan of Doggcatcher, but not tried that many others. Basically works perfectly, well worth the money.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

Free please, I'll put up with ads or missing features to not have to pay for something like podcatching.

Beyond pod is amazing and you should just pick an app and pay for it. Here's how I think about it. Don't buy a cup of coffee, or make lunch for a day and you'll never have to deal with the headache of downloading podcasts daily. Automate as much of your life as you can because you have other things to do. Like push play and listen to podcasts!

It's like 6 bucks to make you happy for months on end. (years for me). The return on investment is huge.

--

Also on topic. Treknologic is still amazing. It has self contained episodes and light RP. I also listen to listen to Sunday Morning News with Gary Hoffman which is a good Sunday news roundup (it's based out of LA) and the 9 news nuggets are funny (even if they're just fark).

Handle on the News for daily stuff. And Handel On The Law for some /marginal/ legal advice, the call ins are ok, but the stories are the best imo.

NPR: Hourly News Summary Podcast for a short 10 minute news break. I really enjoy Shae? Stevens and Jim Hawk's voice for it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm looking for recommendations on an internet radio/streaming service to use in my car from a mobile phone. Pandora has a simple, effective station customization style I'm having hard time finding - You start a station, seed it with songs and bands you like. It plays a mix of your seeds and similar songs, and you can add or like songs it plays to add them as new seeds.

I used Last.fm for a bit, but its selection method doesn't make a lot of sense - it adds every song it plays as a new seed regardless of consent, so your station spirals in weird directions unless you micromanage it. Ie you like song A. Song B is similar, you like it, it's now a seed. Song C is similar to song b, you don't like it, but it's now a seed too.

I'm asking instead of trying everything out because there seems to be so many services now. Google, ubuntu, spotify, rdio etc. They seem fairly similar though, and not what I'm looking for, as I can't find an obvious way to customize their stations or recommendations. It's just pick one band or song and go from there. (and post it to facebook?) I've also seen services like radio365 as well.

What streaming services do y'all like?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 10, 2013

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Nocor posted:

Beyond pod is amazing and you should just pick an app and pay for it. Here's how I think about it. Don't buy a cup of coffee, or make lunch for a day and you'll never have to deal with the headache of downloading podcasts daily. Automate as much of your life as you can because you have other things to do. Like push play and listen to podcasts!

It's like 6 bucks to make you happy for months on end. (years for me). The return on investment is huge.
Seconded. Think about your priorities here; will the lost features and inconvenience of ads, over the years you use an Android phone, add up to more or less than the inconvenience of not getting a single drink from Starbucks, or a single McDonalds meal? BeyondPod is definitely worth it.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 11, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Speaking of apps, is there any appreciable difference between Downcast/Instacast/Pocket Casts? I prefer to stream over wi-fi where I can, but when I do download, I want to batch download and maybe I'm bad at iOS but I can't do that easily in Podcasts.app. :smith: I like to listen to backlogs so I don't think I have much of a use for playlists. This is on an iPod touch; I might get an Android phone later and so I'm leaning towards Pocket Casts because that'll let me sync between the two.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Autumncomet posted:

Speaking of apps, is there any appreciable difference between Downcast/Instacast/Pocket Casts? I prefer to stream over wi-fi where I can, but when I do download, I want to batch download and maybe I'm bad at iOS but I can't do that easily in Podcasts.app. :smith: I like to listen to backlogs so I don't think I have much of a use for playlists. This is on an iPod touch; I might get an Android phone later and so I'm leaning towards Pocket Casts because that'll let me sync between the two.

They all have minor differences and platform limitations. For your situation pocket casts is probably the best bet. I use Downcast but have been considering Pocket Casts. I do not like the funding model of Instacast and personally did not like the interface. I find playlists to be very useful when dealing with backlog podcasts. You can use locking and streaming/download to segregate podcasts with only new eps and podcasts with backlog.

This is a bit dated, but might help http://www.imore.com/instacast-downcast-pocket-casts-app-listening-podcasts-iphone

e2: I can't figure out if Pocket Cast does streaming or not. I don't stream very much, but I like it as a way to keep podcasts with a big backlog from overwhelming storage space. In Downcast you just set those to streaming and then convert to download as needed. Very useful recently when I used a book club podcast that was 350+ episodes.

e3: If you deal with backlogs, the image on the right might very well be the clincher. http://8531a4dea39362f5b234-05e060622ca2c116e9f71be35d9bd2ac.r68.cf1.rackcdn.com/2013-09-16%2015-40-16-pocketcasts-single.png

e4: almost sold myself on pocket casts just in replying to this post. Biggest issue I see is in searching. It doesn't search description fields or episode names, so it can miss a bunch. It also doesn't show latest episode date on searches, which is a huge help in weeding out old podcasts. It doesn't have playlist priority, which I've found helpful as well. The server side syncing is much nicer though.

e5: IOS version of Pocket Casts doesn't appear to have continuous play, no master setting for playback speed, and is missing several other features of the android version. Downcast definitely still #1.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 12, 2013

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

double nine posted:

Does anyone know of podcasts that focus on European Union politics & analysis? I know several podcasts that debate whatever is going on in the US but am somewhat at a loss when it comes to finding EU related audio - The only thing I found was the European Journal podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/european-journal-magazine/id288958128) that focusses on internal integration and a small bit of foreign affairs. While certainly interesting I would like to find more programs...

any tips?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/analysis

This isn't exclusively European, but it might be up your alley.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm not sure there's a proper thread for it, so I'll just ask here. Can anyone find the podcast Writing Excuses on the iTunes Store? I want to subscribe to them and relisten to their episodes again, but it doesn't come up when I search for it on my iTunes.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I can but their feed only goes back 10 episodes. :argh:

Thanks for the excellent breakdown. The only deal breaker for me would be the lack of continuous play, but I assume since it's in the android version it'll be coming to iOS soon. I suppose I can wait until I actually get a new phone to decide and it's less than five bucks at the end of the day. :v:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Autumncomet posted:

I can but their feed only goes back 10 episodes. :argh:

Thanks for the excellent breakdown. The only deal breaker for me would be the lack of continuous play, but I assume since it's in the android version it'll be coming to iOS soon. I suppose I can wait until I actually get a new phone to decide and it's less than five bucks at the end of the day. :v:

I was wrong. Play all function exists. It just works differently than in downcast and won't just happen if you start playing a podcast in a playlist.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend me some good free software that works like itunes (just for audio podcasts)? I really just want some thing that I can drag and drop mp3's.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Jippa posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good free software that works like itunes (just for audio podcasts)? I really just want some thing that I can drag and drop mp3's.
Looking for the same, for Android. VLC works well enough, but something with an interface specialized for podcasts (ie not structurd by artist/album/song) would be nice. Searching 'podcast' gets mostly digital streaming/downloading tools.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm looking for a really in-depth breakdown of The Great Depression. I have the Hardcore History episode that sort of muses about it, but I'd like something that goes way more into the development of New Deal programs and things like that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Books are still things.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm looking for a halfway decent conspiracy/occult podcast, hopefully one which takes everything that they delve into with a grain of salt or a sense of humor. I'm mostly just looking to learn about conspiracies in general. I currently listen to The Last Podcast on the Left, and Out There Radio, and am looking for something similar.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Can I echo that but without the whole grain of salt, sense of humour thing? I want some absolute batshit truthers, alien abduction and moon landing nutters. Any "good" conspiracy podcasts where they genuinely believe the illuminati and hiding aliens in Putin's Mars base?

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007
Well http://www.blameitonouterspace.com/ looks at conspiracy/paranormal things but its a humor podcast with one of the guys from the We Hate Movies podcast.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So now that Spill.com is going to be shut down, can anybody recommend me a good movie review podcast site?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Benny the Snake posted:

So now that Spill.com is going to be shut down, can anybody recommend me a good movie review podcast site?

http://www.filmspotting.net

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Anyone have any weird/continuing story podcasts like Welcome to Night Vale?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

DreamingofRoses posted:

Anyone have any weird/continuing story podcasts like Welcome to Night Vale?

The Thrilling Adventure Hour (which there is a thread here for but I'm posting on my phone so I can't link it) is all story format. There are several stories in it, some of which interconnect and some don't. Some are serialized and some aren't. I tell people to think of the podcast as a TV channel and it has several shows, some of which are spinoffs.

I became a fan of it after asking a friend for recommendations after getting caught up on WTNV and I've gotten several others hooked on it the same way.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Benny the Snake posted:

I like Kermode & Mayo's Film Review by BBC 5 quite a bit. It focuses (of course, it's after all a radio show first and podcast second) mostly on mainstream cinema.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey, The Naked Scientist and Radiolab rock.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
What's the state of feedburner? Anyone know if it's going to shut down? It seems likely to happen, since google has been shutting down their RSS-related stuff, and feedburner haven't seen updates for a while.

I need to switch my podcast from using squarespace's feed, to something else, and I was looking at feedburner.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone know of a free podcast app for android that let's you download and search for old episodes? I can never seem to access backlogs of my fav podcasts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a military history-themed podcast? I listen regularly to http://thehistorynetwork.org/ , but they don't put out content fast enough for me

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm too lazy to make a real thread, and I don't know if it would be even popular enough to bother with, but rapper and actor Ice-T has his own podcast.

http://www.icetfinallevel.com/

Along with his mentally challenged co-host, Mick Benzo, Ice gives you the low down on his behind the scenes work on SVU, his upcoming Body Count album, philosophy, movies he's seen, and even takes calls. It's unintentionally hilarious, compounded by the fact that his co-host doesn't have a very firm grasp of the English language. He takes it pretty lightly, though, on the third episode, he plays a clip where Paul F. Tompkins is pranked by another Ice-T impersonator.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a military history-themed podcast? I listen regularly to http://thehistorynetwork.org/ , but they don't put out content fast enough for me

You're welcome: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pritzker-military-museum-library/id118681082?mt=2

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is this the right place for me to plug a friend's comedy podcast? I find it genuinely funny, I'm not just plugging it because he's my friend.

elstie
Mar 6, 2014
Since Doggcatcher has apparently stopped being able to save to my SD card with my phone's latest update to KitKat, I'm really curious about PocketCasts. For anyone that happens to have experience with both of them, does PocketCast have all of the functionality of Doggcatcher? One of the big ones that I'll definitely miss if it's not in there is being able to pause and play automatically upon plugging in/taking out my headphones.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thank you! I just listened to the Nomonhan 1939 episode and it was absolutely brilliant, and it looks like there's years worth of material here.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

dik-dik posted:

Is this the right place for me to plug a friend's comedy podcast? I find it genuinely funny, I'm not just plugging it because he's my friend.

Please do!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Alright! The podcast is called Podcat by Allen With Chad. It's a weekly comedy podcast usually featuring an interview with some bottom-rung celebrity (for example, Edward Brownlee, the author of Rapture Factor on America).

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I've been listening to past episodes of Security Now and am enjoying it, but I'm also looking for something that is a little more broad in regards to programming. I'd be fine either conceptual or technical, and preferably less commercial but I'll take what I can get. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

elstie posted:

Since Doggcatcher has apparently stopped being able to save to my SD card with my phone's latest update to KitKat, I'm really curious about PocketCasts. For anyone that happens to have experience with both of them, does PocketCast have all of the functionality of Doggcatcher? One of the big ones that I'll definitely miss if it's not in there is being able to pause and play automatically upon plugging in/taking out my headphones.

I haven't used Doggcatcher but Pocket Casts has the headphone feature.