Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have Darkest Hour on Steam, which only updates to 1.02 instead of the 1.03 release. Is there some way to install the 1.03 patch or is it not worth the hassle anyway?

Also, what's the difference between a Paradox Account and an account on the Paradox forums?

Uhg, PDS really should push Steam more to roll out patches for their older games (AoD is in a similar situation). Kinda defeats the point of having those games on Steam in the first place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah ok, I'm not stupid. Is the process the same for updating the STEAM version as it is for the others? Because that launcher is the same no matter where you got the game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah ok, I'm not stupid. Is the process the same for updating the STEAM version as it is for the others? Because that launcher is the same no matter where you got the game.
The 'download' button takes you to a a P'dox forum page with a big handy Installation notes - Steam users bit in the first post, under which is the following:

quote:

1. Make sure you have unmodified version of the game. Re-install if needed.
2. Create a new folder on place that is not protected by Windows (Vista, 7) - "C:\Games\Darkest Hour" is a good location
3. Copy ALL Darkest Hour game files and folders from your Steam install into the folder created on step (2). If you did it right you should have Darkest Hour.exe into "C:\Games\Darkest Hour" folder
4. Install the patch to the folder created on step (2)
5. Go to the folder created on step (2) and start the game using "Darkest Hour Launcher.exe". Optionally you can make a short-cut to this file on your Desktop
6. Check if you have correct checksums (see above)

Of course, I ignored all that and just put the patch over the steam version, no copying nonsense or anything.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Based in Ohio, I created the rock nation
Head of state: Elvis Presley
Head of government: John Lennon
Foreign minister: Steve Winwood
Minister of armament: Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (10+ for the reference)
Security: Axl Rose

I'm still working on military positions, but so far this is highly entertaining to mod

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 28, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

You know that feeling when you think the whole world is ganging up on you?

This is one time I'm very glad I'm not playing Spain.

EDIT: A few years later, the big German dominion owning most of West Africa went Communist and left German influence, but the cartographers haven't quite caught up yet:

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 29, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

My North America has exploded:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is producing an aircraft carrier in Darkest Hour supposed to take over 2,000 days? As the United States mind you. That cannot be right.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Patter Song posted:

You know that feeling when you think the whole world is ganging up on you?

In my current game I started a colonial war against the (great power) neatherlands for the east indies and ended up at war with (all great power) UK, Germany, Russia, Japan, and Spain. Only great power not at war with me is the USA. Fortunately I'm playing China. :getin:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is producing an aircraft carrier in Darkest Hour supposed to take over 2,000 days? As the United States mind you. That cannot be right.

There is a 1940 tech (ship assembly line) that massively reduces production times, but aircraft carriers are still ridiculous in how long they take to build, you have to plan way ahead regardless (a thing you should generally do as far as fleets are concerned) as even with it they'll still take ~3 years to build.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just go full Free Market and Hawk Lobby as well as getting that rear end Line to reduce the time to 700 days or so.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Naval stuff in DH is weird and lacking. A fleet of 30 heavy cruisers will apparently sink anything due to being made screens and speed being the primary factor in choosing engagement range.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Naval stuff in DH is weird and lacking. A fleet of 30 heavy cruisers will apparently sink anything due to being made screens and speed being the primary factor in choosing engagement range.

Jackie Fisher was right!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ExtraNoise posted:

My North America has exploded:

It's like a patchwork quilt!! I really like the way the Mexican states look when independent-- much more organic than the USA ones.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I thought Heavy Cruisers counted as capital ships? At least in all other versions of HoI...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It was changed for DH or in one of the patches for it. In 1.03 at least they are counted as screens and as such the screen penalty doesn't apply to a fleet of 30 CAs.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It was changed for DH or in one of the patches for it. In 1.03 at least they are counted as screens and as such the screen penalty doesn't apply to a fleet of 30 CAs.

Naval Bombers will gently caress them up though.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alright everyone, I finally released the Divided We Stand mod officially!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?738215-HoD-Divided-We-Stand-(Balkanized-North-America)

Thanks to everyone who helped make version 1.0 a reality. I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well that explains a few things. Is it not worth putting money into the creating public works decisions since it gives you more Central Planning? I cannot see a single positive thing about Central Planning but its cool to put money into developing research and infrastructure.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 29, 2013

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well that explains a few things. Is it not worth putting money into the creating public works decisions since it gives you more Central Planning? I cannot see a single positive thing about Central Planning but its cool to put money into developing research and infrastructure.

IMO it'd be a terrible event even without the CP move.
If you're on FM, you have way too much money but can't use it. If you're on CP it is way too expensive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Huh, well I guess I need to do things differently in my early game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK Free Market vs Central Planning is limited by your Right-wing / Left-wing sliders, so even if we consider Free Market to be so much better, Central Planning is still better than being stuck in the middle of the slider and never being able to go full FM.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Does having dissent do anything tangible for the US in the early game? Is it worth pouring everything into consumer goods to get it down fast?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does having dissent do anything tangible for the US in the early game? Is it worth pouring everything into consumer goods to get it down fast?

It's always a good idea to reduce dissent unless you've got an event coming up that'll reduce it for you. 1% of dissent reduces your IC by 1% so it's awful to have any.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK Free Market vs Central Planning is limited by your Right-wing / Left-wing sliders, so even if we consider Free Market to be so much better, Central Planning is still better than being stuck in the middle of the slider and never being able to go full FM.

Not sure if Left/Right influences it, but you definitely can't go further than +1 FM if you're a dictatorship.
I'd always prefer being a democracy over being CP though, it is just too good.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

IMO it'd be a terrible event even without the CP move.
If you're on FM, you have way too much money but can't use it. If you're on CP it is way too expensive.

This is why I set investments to be allowed at all levels of Free Market so I have some kind of dissent safety valve and a thing to do with all my money besides counteract "Bank Run" and "Bank Bankruptcy" events, which are stupid anyway. I also prefer HoI 2's unit building times, but those are a lot harder to implement.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Isn't a Free Market with large amounts of intervention in the marketplace... not a free market?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gort posted:

Isn't a Free Market with large amounts of intervention in the marketplace... not a free market?

With that logic, full FM should drop your IC to 0 because it's all privately owned.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gort posted:

Well you can't privatize all your infrastructure and education is still state funded so I don't really see much of a problem.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the ideal army composition in Vicky2? Typically I do something like 6 infantry, 4 artillery, 2 engies, 2 hussars. Is that optimal?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the ideal army composition in Vicky2? Typically I do something like 6 infantry, 4 artillery, 2 engies, 2 hussars. Is that optimal?

Enough engineers and hussars to keep siege and scouting at 1 (iirc that's 1 hussar and 1 engineer per 10 brigades, including the engi/hussar,) 6+ infantry and as much artillery as you can afford up to the amount of infantry you've got. Artillery is what wins fights so you want as much as possible but you need an equal amount of infantry in front of it to protect it. So early on you could do 4 infantry 4 artillery 1 engi 1 hussar and then start merging those armies into 8 infantry 8 artillery 2 engi 2 hussars as support limits go up.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If your army is under 10 brigades, one engineer gives you full siege benefits and one Hussar gives you full recon, if its over you need more. I like to go with one Hussar, one Dragoon to mix it up a bit.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

ExtraNoise posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?738215-HoD-Divided-We-Stand-(Balkanized-North-America)

Thanks to everyone who helped make version 1.0 a reality. I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

Now do Europe! :munch:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Cowcatcher posted:

Now do Europe! :munch:

I've actually been thinking about it. I think I have a disease.

croguy
Nov 25, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

I've actually been thinking about it. I think I have a disease.

How so? All you need to do is kick Austria and have it fall on top of Turkey in 1836. By 1846 you'll already have 15 new countries pop up between Paris and Istanbul!

Of course, breaking France and UK is also a possibility(Russia doesn't count in my book, being Russia), though it requires the extra effort due to the overabundance of colonies in Asia and Africa.

croguy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 1, 2013

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

croguy posted:

How so? All you need to do is kick Austria and have it fall on top of Turkey in 1836. By 1846 you'll already have 15 new countries pop up between Paris and Istanbul!

Of course, breaking France and UK is also a possibility(Russia doesn't count in my book, being Russia), though it requires the extra effort due to the overabundance of colonies in Asia and Africa.

Break up the European Powers' metropolitan territory and exile the governments to their colonies. France is sent to northern Algeria. Spain ends up in the Philippines. Queen Victoria spends the rest of her days in Bombay.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 1, 2013

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, following up on my earlier post, would I be better off trying to learn Darkest Hour or HoI3 as someone who has really only been able to get into EU4 and CK2?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lprsti99 posted:

So, following up on my earlier post, would I be better off trying to learn Darkest Hour or HoI3 as someone who has really only been able to get into EU4 and CK2?

Darkest Hour is considered the better game overall though it does have issues with being part of the EU2 engine. It can feel a little clunkier.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

The first response to this thread, before any praise or discussion at all:

Paradox_forums.txt posted:

Why is the state of Superior a thing? The only thing I've ever heard about 'superior independance' or the forming of a Superior state was a vote in the early 2000s~, and that failed pretty hard.

:paradox:

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 1, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Jazerus posted:

The first response to this thread, before any praise or discussion at all:

:paradox:

I tried so hard to be civil, too. Really I just wanted to slap :fuckoff: in my reply and call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ExtraNoise posted:

I tried so hard to be civil, too. Really I just wanted to slap :fuckoff: in my reply and call it good.

Well make your fantasy mod historically accurate next time :argh:

• Locked thread