Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm really inconsistent on the bench press. For the past month and some change, I've been stuck at 230 for a 5x5 where, on some days, I can hit 4 sets and the last one has to be split into a triple then double and on other days it's just a struggle to hit 3 sets. I think the simplest explanation to it is that I'm just lovely at the bench. My technique isn't dialed in like it is for the deadlift. It also doesn't help I have a nagging AC joint sprain from last summer that decides to flare up randomly so there's some days where I just can't even go past ~200 lb on the bench without more discomfort than usual.

I think it was abugadu in YLLS back when was W&W that posted an awesome bench press progression. It's one of the best I've seen and I know people who benched 300 before they started it that saw tremendous gains. I'll see if I still have the spreadsheet and link it if I do.

EDIT: Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15352783/bench.xls

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

A 5x5 is just easy to follow and progress on. I also don't bench with anyone so there's a limit to how much I can push it without getting stuck under a barbell. I can't really rely on random gym people for spots either.

You really can't just ask someone else that's benching to spot you? I mean know you're a goon but come on man.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'll check that out.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You really can't just ask someone else that's benching to spot you? I mean know you're a goon but come on man.

I go when there's not many people is what I was saying.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's a drat good progression. It was agatsu that posted about it originally. If you have archives, here's his thread about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3046983

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
These videos helped me out as far as setting up for the bench is concerned, and I don't get nagging shoulder problems like I used to do when I would just lay flat in the bench all willy nilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

Also it may be worth doing some accessory work like dead, iso or pause benching every once in a while to mix it up and focus on strength out of the hole or in a certain range of motion that you're having trouble with.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
So... First back workout in like 8 months. Shrugs 3x5, cable rows with the triangle 3x8, pullovers 3x8, and burnout kroc rows. Wake up at 11:30 to stumble into the DFAC and have the CSM serve me bone-dry turkey, almost cry getting out of bed. Holy making GBS threads dicknipples, I love being this sore.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Came off permanent profile finally, because gently caress that noise. Just took a pt test and holy poo poo I suck. I've got 3 months to get ready for a better score. Any advice?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What branch and what parts of the test do you suck at?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NovaLion posted:

Came off permanent profile finally, because gently caress that noise. Just took a pt test and holy poo poo I suck. I've got 3 months to get ready for a better score. Any advice?

ETS.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxdT2xhra8

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

NovaLion posted:

N.O. Xplode and simulate at least one test event per training day. You should be good within two months.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Crazy Mike posted:

N.O. Xplode and simulate at least one test event per training day. You should be good within two months.

Two months? Seriously?

Lift weights and do a poo poo ton of 30/60's.

Or if you hate running as much as me, I just do this thing

http://www.amazon.com/Precor-Commercial-Elliptical-Fitness-Crosstrainer/dp/B0053O3X8E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

Set it on interval training, set the lowest to 10, highest to 20, 20 resistance and do anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes a day. I went from running 16:30's to 15 flat within a month.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

lmbo @ recommending elliptical training for anything ever

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

gently caress that bro, running is gay. The elliptical is awesome. When I'm done being a gross fat rear end and eating like poo poo, I just add in a 10-25 minutes a day of that poo poo and I'll have my 6 pack back. While watching ESPN sport center and checking out all the hot chicks in the gym. What kinda human being actually runs unless there's an APFT?

EDIT: I do get crazy and add in the stair master from time to time too.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaliber posted:

gently caress that bro, running is gay. The elliptical is awesome. When I'm done being a gross fat rear end and eating like poo poo, I just add in a 10-25 minutes a day of that poo poo and I'll have my 6 pack back. While watching ESPN sport center and checking out all the hot chicks in the gym. What kinda human being actually runs unless there's an APFT?

the kind that's actually inserting their penis into hot chicks instead of just checking them out and not constantly posting shitthatdidn'thappen.txt

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
i mean i loving hate running but lol elliptical

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

the kind that's actually inserting their penis into hot chicks instead of just checking them out and not constantly posting shitthatdidn'thappen.txt

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

i mean i loving hate running but lol elliptical

Two real good posts.

Let's be serious here, the only people using ellipticals are fat people and women that want to lazily read their magazine/play on their iPhone while telling their friends about how they're totally going to the gym and why aren't I losing weight

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 30, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Rather do crossfit than the elliptical.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

rather not go to the gym than go on an elliptical

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

That's going way too far bro. Way to far. Crossfit is the worst thing the human race ever came up with.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kaliber posted:

That's going way too far bro. Way to far. Crossfit is the worst thing the human race ever came up with.

Counterpoint: the elliptical

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
reminder that whip claims to bench 450 lol

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

genderstomper58 posted:

reminder that whip claims to bench 450 lol

:confused:

I don't think having had a PR of 350 is that big of a deal, but guess its cool that you still care about this :shrug:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Whip Slagcheek posted:

:confused:

I don't think having had a PR of 350 is that big of a deal, but guess its cool that you still care about this :shrug:

you said 450, pls stop trying to get out of it, thx

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

genderstomper58 posted:

you said 450, pls stop trying to get out of it, thx

k

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
350 bench would be pretty great. I haven't tried to max out in months so the last heavy bench I did was a 265 pause double

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

rather not go to the gym than go on an elliptical

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bench press post right now.

2x10x135lb
1x6x175
1x5x205
1x3x215
3x3x235
3x3x240

So I don't have a program or a routine or whatever. I base all of my poo poo off of sets of 5 or triples. Heavy singles very rarely maybe just to try a new weight, but they're not worth the effort since there isn't much to be gained from them. Anyway, what's helped my bench the past few weeks was taking my grip out wider than usual (for me anyway).

Accessory work
3x8 chins 3x5 wide grip pull ups
Behind The Neck strict press 3x12x45lb
BTN push press 3x6x40kg 3x5x60kg
triceps overhead cable extension 2x12x150 triceps pulldown 3x10x150

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
gently caress those gay rear end bane masks.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ashmole posted:

Every cop here seems to have one. It's literally just the cops.

I loving hate cops so much.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

smertrioslol posted:

I loving hate cops so much.

agreed

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D

Ashmole posted:

Dude in my squadron got a batman mask from amazon and one day when he was there at the same time with one of those bane mask wearers on the treadmill, he doned the batman mask and ran next to him. Bane was not amused

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What the gently caress is this about Bane masks?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Casimir Radon posted:

They're oxygen restriction masks that Crossfitters and other flavors of fitness retards got on to.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're oxygen restriction masks that Crossfitters and other flavors of fitness retards got on to.
Well that's dumb. I kind of thought it meant these nice ColdAvenger ski masks which are pretty nice.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

It's so stupid. This Bane douchebag takes 5 minute breaks in between each set wears it. He lifts light, takes super long breaks, and I'm not sure what his mask really does besides make him look really stupid.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
They're a loving sham. They claim to train you for high altitude, but all they do is make it more difficult to breath. You still get the same 02 by volume, so it just places more stress on your diaphragm. There maybe some benefit to strengthening that area, but you can strengthen that part simply by doing poo poo like running, swimming, biking, singing even louder in the shower, or sprints.

There's a reason why you don't see mountaineering people buying these instead of wasting thousands of dollars on altitude chambers, or relocation to live at a high altitude.

Sure it makes training more of a challenge, but why waste drat near 100 bucks on that? Go buy a fuckin' snorkel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Stupid idea. Oxygen stays the same, you may get increased intercostal strength, but your body will shift blood away from muscles and other area's to ensure proper blood flow to the diaphragm (Stealing Effect) reducing oxygen drive to muscles. Itso facto, doesn't help out and you'll probably lift/run/do whatever worse than you previously do.

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/9/11/2383.full.pdf

edit: better study which talks about the effects of why the bane mask sucks. http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/1/131.abstract

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 12, 2013