Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

muike posted:

I'm pretty sure he would rather kill himself.

So we'll get another V Gundam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gammatron 64 posted:

Kiara and China are not the best, most progressive characters out there, but the show is honestly pretty innocuous as far as sexism goes and lashing out at every minor thing makes you look bad and honestly hurts your argument.

For the last time my point is not about sexism so much as a creative failure to write engaging female characters and also failure to give more than token consideration to a potential female audience who I doubt are seeing anything in this show that speaks directly to them, which given both the show's stated and implied aims is stupid as well as regrettable. It's not livid Tumblr outrage and it's not some loving personal crusade, it's disappointment over bad writing and bad decisions. That. Is. All.

Sorry I thought it was a discussion I could bring to the thread without things getting goony as gently caress, but hey, at least now I know better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you're getting a bit extreme there. I agree with you that the characters could be better but I don't think anyone's being particularly aggressive when they have a different opinion or even disagreeing particularly with the basic concept. The worst thing anyone has said is "It's about what I expect for this kind of show" or "I think it'll get better down the line," neither of which seems particularly egregious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bimmi posted:

For the last time my point is not about sexism so much as a creative failure to write engaging female characters and also failure to give more than token consideration to a potential female audience who I doubt are seeing anything in this show that speaks directly to them, which given both the show's stated and implied aims is stupid as well as regrettable. It's not livid Tumblr outrage and it's not some loving personal crusade, it's disappointment over bad writing and bad decisions. That. Is. All.

Sorry I thought it was a discussion I could bring to the thread without things getting goony as gently caress, but hey, at least now I know better.

No, it's an interesting discussion to have and it's worth talking about because it's a common problem in anime. Just because people don't necessarily agree with your opinion in regards to this show so far doesn't really make your point invalid and I'd appreciate it if you stuck around and continued to talk about it as the show develops because it may redeem itself in your eyes.

That said, it's insipid and dumb to throw your hands up and go "AUGH, TOO *GOONY*" in a lovely attempt to get a smug last word in a conversation because people misunderstood your point(if multiple people interpret your writing in a way you didn't intend, it's possible your original point wasn't clear).

Keep posting, I think your viewpoint is valuable, and I'm not being sarcastic. My favorite discussions in anime threads are when people come at things from completely different viewpoints. ImpAtom and I went back and forth over Gargantia for like ten billion pages!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After two chats with him I've just concluded that Bimmi is kind of high-strung and very prone to hyperbole. Best to filter out all of the excess and passive-aggressiveness and just read his points.

On a less posting-about-posting note, does anyone know who does the music for Build Fighters? The OST so far has been amazing, and I'd love to listen to more of the composer's work.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I see people jumping to the wrong conclusions on these forums all the drat time, where they obviously couldn't be bothered to read or process the post they're responding to because they just can't wait to get their snarky two cents in. ALL THE drat TIME, and certainly not just with me. It's loving obnoxious and does not encourage any kind of real discussion, and it happens a lot more here for whatever reason than any of the other forums I frequent. And it seems anytime someone raises the specter of feminism in a thread about nerd hobbies it inevitably turns into a lot of shitflinging and "no, you" and who the gently caress needs that?

So no, screw it, I'm not even particularly invested in this show and it's not worth the aggravation, and I don't think I've prompted a single person here to consider the issue any differently than they would have before. Life's too short for this.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 29, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

does anyone know who does the music for Build Fighters? The OST so far has been amazing, and I'd love to listen to more of the composer's work.

I would love to know this. I loving lost it the first time Yuuki started fighting and the loving flamenco kicked in.

Bimmi posted:

I see people jumping to the wrong conclusions on these forums all the drat time, where they obviously couldn't be bothered to read or process the post they're responding to because they just can't wait to get their snarky two cents in. ALL THE drat TIME, and certainly not just with me. It's loving obnoxious and does not encourage any kind of real discussion, and it happens a lot more here for whatever reason than any of the other forums I frequent.

So no, screw it, I'm not even particularly invested in this show and it's not worth the aggravation, and I don't think I've prompted a single person here to consider the issue any differently than they would have before. Life's too short for this.

Well, okay, bye I guess.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

On a less posting-about-posting note, does anyone know who does the music for Build Fighters? The OST so far has been amazing, and I'd love to listen to more of the composer's work.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=118529

So uh, nothing much else to really listen to.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
At least he continues the tradition of really awesome Gundam soundtracks. I love the music in this show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goddamn, for one of his first soundtracks this dude is putting in the work. I'm imagining him getting stoned off his rear end and going on some sort of vision quest that ended with him walking into his office, covered in dirt and mud, and yelling SPANISH GUITAR to the first intern he saw.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

Goddamn, for one of his first soundtracks this dude is putting in the work. I'm imagining him getting stoned off his rear end and going on some sort of vision quest that ended with him walking into his office, covered in dirt and mud, and yelling SPANISH GUITAR to the first intern he saw.

Yeah, I wasn't really all down for this show from episode 1. Once I heard the guitar start up and the crazy animation on that zaku fight I was all in. Now its the only show this season I follow every episode on instead of waiting for batches.
Does anybody know if they plan on releasing the soundtrack soon or is that more of an end of season thing?

Also that American championship music rules too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If everyone is jumping to the same "wrong conclusion" then your posting is poorly worded!

Anyways, music chat:

Gundam kinda seems to bring out the best in composers. Only other show I've seen from this composer is Robotics;Notes which I remember having alright music that was ultimately rather forgettable. Can't really say any tune from that show was able to stick in my head (I've also seen the first episode of Blood Lad but unless it's something really stellar it's hard for any one track to be memorable).

My completely, utterly uneducated guess is that maybe he had more freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted to music-wise, much like how a lot of people are getting to put in whatever mobile suits they want?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Does anybody know if they plan on releasing the soundtrack soon or is that more of an end of season thing?

They'll probably release it with the box set, but I hope reception has been so overwhelmingly positive they'll release it early.

While I'm wishing for things it'd be nice if it was on iTunes so I don't have to import it.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Looking at his website http://www.legendoor.com/discography/hayashi_yuki/, he has a ton of experience doing TV Drama OSTs (including Legal High S1 & 2, which is a really big show right now), which would explain how he's on a Gundam show with such little anime experience.

aers fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 29, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

I dunno, I actually really liked Mihoshi and want her to show up in more episodes and hopefully get an actual arc to counteract how she was treated in episode 4.
(I said this before in the thread but even though she is basically a stand in for FAKE GEEK GIRL, the fact that the show writers specifically mentioned that she watched literally all of gundams everywhere and has memorized every mobile suit name is the really weird, specific detail that leads me to think that that's she might be intended to be more of a criticism of that idea than a lambasted example. But then again she's only showed up in one episode so far so who knows?)

I liked her too internet buddy, for basically the same reason. The show put enough emphasis on her as a decent person outside her tactics and on Sei and Reiji's reaction to her that I really can't see it as a complete arc or as the show being a condemnation of the "fake geek girl" thing. If anything, it seems to me to be criticizing the nerds who lose their poo poo over it, and not the geek girls, fake or otherwise. While Bimmi might be convinced the show is doing nothing to speak to female audiences I can't honestly agree, because I'm pretty sure lots of little girls dream of growing up to be pop-stars/idols (lots of boys to, but it's more thought of as a girls dream than a boys) and the show went out of it's way to illustrate that it's a pretty lovely career path involving a lot of work that isn't really that glamorous or exciting. Which seems to be kind of relevant to me. Not to mention that Aila having to do way more than the guy she was pitted against this episode just to prove she was competent because she was a girl and girls generally have to do more work for less thanks in a lot of places due to latent misogyny. Sure, it's an old point well tread over the years by many shows, but it's still relevant regardless.

Also, while I agree that China is a rather muted and dull character I at least like the fact that she started off with regular models of Zakus and poo poo and then made a Bearguy i.e. something she personally finds cute, rather than Acguys/Bearguys being a "for girls only" gunpla model.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 29, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To some degree they're still doing that, although I do like they at least had her start with an actual Beginners kit.

(I also want to see Aile Bearguy.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd almost venture that the "Girl's MS"'s thing there is more of a "suits girls have used over the years" thing than "models girls will like", if only because there's nothing girly about the Quebeley that I can see beyond some pink highlighting on it. By that logic Char's suits are more girly than Haman's main one though.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Custom Nobel Gundam please.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

(I also want to see Aile Bearguy.)

Now I can't get the thought out of my head of Bearguy stealing lead Gundam backpacks and copying all of their iconic poses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking it over, I also didn't realize the stupid joke in Bearguy III's name.

It's Bearguy-San. (San/III.) So it's actually just Mr. Bearguy-San. God bless you Japan.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

TaurusOxford posted:

Now I can't get the thought out of my head of Bearguy stealing lead Gundam backpacks and copying all of their iconic poses.

Bearguy is everywhere.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seed would have been a million times better if Kira's final upgrade had been the Ribbon Striker pack.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I want some maniac to try and combine all five main Wing suits into one monstrosity. The Gundam Sand-Wing-Death-Arms-Long.

tsob posted:

I'd almost venture that the "Girl's MS"'s thing there is more of a "suits girls have used over the years" thing than "models girls will like"

Then where's the Alex and the Apsalus II? :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Endorph posted:

I want some maniac to try and combine all five main Wing suits into one monstrosity. The Gundam Sand-Wing-Death-Arms-Long.

I'd be happy to try that if Bandai ever makes a HGAC line.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The MG Wing kits all used the same internal frame, so you could probably do it with those. Though unless you're willing to sacrifice all five, the best you could do is make a megazord out of them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

The MG Wing kits all used the same internal frame, so you could probably do it with those. Though unless you're willing to sacrifice all five, the best you could do is make a megazord out of them.

I'm not spending another 250 dollars on MGs I already own, and a Megazord/Brave Robot configuration would never work cause the Wing suits are all the same size, and you need a "main" mech that'll make up the bulk of the robot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I meant taking a limb from each of the Wing gundams and sticking them on the body of the fifth. Frankenstein would have been a better term to use, sorry.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
You could probably make a pretty good one taking cues from the SRX proportionally speaking; Wing for centre torso/head, bisect heavyarms to make the arms, sandrock and deathscythe being a leg each and shenlong being the waist and upper thighs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tsob posted:

I'd almost venture that the "Girl's MS"'s thing there is more of a "suits girls have used over the years" thing than "models girls will like", if only because there's nothing girly about the Quebeley that I can see beyond some pink highlighting on it. By that logic Char's suits are more girly than Haman's main one though.

Everything about the Qubeley is "girly" from the colour scheme, the fighting style (avoiding smashing your beam dicks against other people by using funnels), the overall rounded shape versus the sharp angles of the other suits, and also the the fact that the most famous pilot is a woman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Has there even been a Qubeley pilot who wasn't a woman? It's all Purus and Haman IIRC.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was allowing for some leeway out of declaring an absolute but I think you're right. Anyway, I don't think the colour scheme is close to being similar to Char's suits. His suits are all red sometimes looking pink, the Qubeley is white with magenta and violet highlights. Kind of a huge difference there.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Has there even been a Qubeley pilot who wasn't a woman? It's all Purus and Haman IIRC.

Yeah, they're always piloted by women, which makes sense considering it's named after Cybele, the Greek goddess of nature.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
New episode, and it's a winner.

China has a Aim for the Top! Gunbuster training montage. I don't care what anyone says, I really like her.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

TNG posted:

New episode, and it's a winner.

China has a Aim for the Top! Gunbuster training montage. I don't care what anyone says, I really like her.

A truly magical moment in Gundam history. :swoon:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The episode owns. Suck it China haters.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Here's the ep, to save searching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJInABXIYDA

Edit: haha Jerid and Kacricon cameo!

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 2, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That was the goofiest robot fight I have ever seen. Bravo China. :golfclap:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wonder what Sei's big inspiration will lead to with his gunpla. Also it looks like We are going to see the rest of the world champions next episode, as well as Aila + Reiji interactions, which will probably be fun or incredibly dull.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wonder what Sei's big inspiration will lead to with his gunpla.

It's not hard to figure out - Bandai has already shown off the model kits. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wonder what Sei's big inspiration will lead to with his gunpla. Also it looks like We are going to see the rest of the world champions next episode, as well as Aila + Reiji interactions, which will probably be fun or incredibly dull.

Also the return of Kirara/Mihoshi, who appears to be cosplaying as Wang Liu-Mei this time.

• Locked thread