Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GrossMurpel posted:

No they shouldn't be a big deal. I don't want a French Revolution in the 1200s.
Remember that mod that replaced fightin' peasant rebellions with province modifiers that just reduced tax income and levies while the 'rebellion' was going on?

That was a good mod. That should be official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GrossMurpel posted:

The idea is fine but gently caress having to get the levies of 10 dukes because 8k peasants happened in Russia right next to the wasteland. Maybe they should make peasant revolt size smaller.

Maybe they should make all revolt sizes smaller. I have to get all the loving lords of Scotland and mercenaries to even get close to the amount of people they can bring up and even with strait crossing penalties and my hills bonuses i'm not making a dent. loving hell.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Strudel Man posted:

Remember that mod that replaced fightin' peasant rebellions with province modifiers that just reduced tax income and levies while the 'rebellion' was going on?

That was a good mod. That should be official.

Isn't that part of CK2+?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It was a minor mod that Wiz included in CK2+ at some point I believe.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Better Rebels Mod, yeah. He later removed it for some reason I don't immediately recall.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Holy crap! An unmarried lady that's both quick AND beutiful, as well as diligent with 19 stewardship an 15 diplomacy at the start of the game? Yes plea...

:argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A well placed knife should fix that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What happens exactly if a peasant rebellion succeeds?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

What happens exactly if a peasant rebellion succeeds?

It becomes an independent county that functions as normal, except the ruler has a -5 Diplomacy malus for being lowborn.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DStecks posted:

Robert the Old, Duke of Burgundy is a pretty solid start. You've got a legit shot at claiming the French throne, and the neighboring HRE provinces have a tendency to revolt often, letting you swoop in and snatch them up without fear of retaliation ("Oh, you've got de jure ducal claims on Bourgogne? Maybe you can take it up with my liege, the King of Motherfucking France.").

Any Komnenos in Byzantium is interesting in 1066. The family father is about to die, spreading claims on the throne to three dukes, while the old emperor and his son are both total shits who are about to lose a big war to the Turks.

Basically the Alexiad.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zoinker posted:

Holy crap! An unmarried lady that's both quick AND beutiful, as well as diligent with 19 stewardship an 15 diplomacy at the start of the game? Yes plea...

That's Waldrada of Lotharingia! Look at who her lover is. Lothar II's failed efforts to divorce his wife and marry Waldrada (and thus legitimize his three children by her) is a large part of why there is no longer a Lotharingia.

The emperor of Italy went to war with the pope in Rome in an effort to secure that divorce.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 30, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

fool_of_sound posted:

It becomes an independent county that functions as normal, except the ruler has a -5 Diplomacy malus for being lowborn.

Could such a peasant king theoretically succeed and his family continue ruling? If so, would it always have the -5, or will that eventually "breed out" or something?

Also, repeating my question re: a legit Roman Empire, does it exist in mod form?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So has anyone made a mod where the Catholic and Orthadox faiths are Jewish heresies? Because that seems like a no brainer!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Annath posted:

Could such a peasant king theoretically succeed and his family continue ruling? If so, would it always have the -5, or will that eventually "breed out" or something?

Also, repeating my question re: a legit Roman Empire, does it exist in mod form?

The -5 diplomacy is a trait of the character, so any heirs of a peasant rebel leader won't have the same penalty.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

That's Waldrada of Lotharingia! Look at who her lover is. Lothar II's failed efforts to divorce his wife and marry Waldrada (and thus legitimize his three children by her) is a large part of why there is no longer a Lotharingia.

The emperor of Italy went to war with the pope in Rome in an effort to secure that divorce.

Does she always spawn with such ridiculous stats, though?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Do peasant revolts convert the county into an elective grand city? I've not seen a revolt win yet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zoinker posted:

Yes.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Do peasant revolts convert the county into an elective grand city? I've not seen a revolt win yet.

No.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zoinker posted:

Yes. There are a few famous unlanded courtiers like that in the 869 start, including Ragnarr Lothbrok's last wife, Aslaug (who may or may not have been fictional but :shrug:), who always spawns with quick, beautiful, and high base stats. Historical people who weren't famous for being awful (like the Doukas emperor in Byzantium in 1066) generally have exceptional stats.

Any time you find someone that exceptional, check and see if they have a Wikipedia entry. Waldrada doesn't, but that's Wikipedia's fault, not Paradox's.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey. Anyone remember the fantasy alt-world mod I made way back when?

Sonendar, that is.

Well, I've finally updated it for 2.01!!

Sonendar v.1.05.3

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Sonendar, that is.

Sonendar v.1.05.3

Anything new or is this a comp patch? Also wow I completely forgot about this, it's nice to see it back!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ageofbob posted:

Anything new or is this a comp patch? Also wow I completely forgot about this, it's nice to see it back!

It's mostly a compatibility patch, but I've also added a new event chain for the Nords -- The Great Bear Quest -- and a whole new realm filled with Scythian Amazons!

To elaborate, the Great Bear Quest is a Hajj-like decision where Nords can risk life and limb (it carries a SIGNIFICANT risk of dying or getting injured) by running naked off into the woods to slay a giant bear and sacrifice its organs to Yotan. In addition to getting loads of piety, possibly improving your martial skill, and prestige, Yotan might grant you a claim to a random duchy or county. Also, after you finish, you get a neat trait "Bear Hunter" that increases your martial skill and a small monthly prestige bonus.

As for the Zakrum-Marza, they dwell in the far southwest on an island that I am still in the process of fully filling out. They are a realm of Amazon warrior-women who worship the Drowned Maiden and run on Enatic Succession. Male children born to Zakrum Marza mothers must either be sacrificed or, at a piety penalty, may be adopted but gain the "Bastard" trait. I'm prioritizing them for the next update, but basically I want to fill out their whole island. They'll be steppe warriors with horse archers, and hopefully get some sort of cool invasion CBs where they can cross the islands and invade Sonendar.

Oh yes, there is a horde event for the Aaqiuk about 200-300 years into the game where a mysterious rabies infection spreads, supposedly by a hunter who was bitten by a wolf, from deep within the glacial wastes, turning people insane with a foaming rabid frenzy. The Aaqiuk will have to consolidate their lands or take back the coasts from the Nords in order to survive against Them.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 30, 2013

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Is this patch still broke?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Belasarius posted:

Is this patch still broke?
no

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Sonendar, that is.

Sonendar v.1.05.3

Is there another part of this mod I need to run it? After installing it about half the kingdoms are listed as unplayable and noreligion. I exported the folder to documents/paradox/ckii and the mod file to the appropriate steamapp folder.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So what's with the inability to Alt-tab out of the game without it dying?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

To elaborate, the Great Bear Quest is a Hajj-like decision where Nords can risk life and limb (it carries a SIGNIFICANT risk of dying or getting injured) by running naked off into the woods to slay a giant bear and sacrifice its organs to Yotan. In addition to getting loads of piety, possibly improving your martial skill, and prestige, Yotan might grant you a claim to a random duchy or county. Also, after you finish, you get a neat trait "Bear Hunter" that increases your martial skill and a small monthly prestige bonus.

I'm not seeing how this isn't all upside if you get a lovely ruler, in a way that really highlights one of the gamiest parts of the game: intentionally doing risky things if your controlled character sucks.

You might want to consider what downsides you could add that would make it not as attractive if you have a crap ruler you wouldn't mind dying.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Rumda posted:

Nope there's a mod which uses the ck2+ files and calls itself ck2+ but its not ck2+...

Hey Rumda, stop being an rear end in a top hat! Thanks.

Seriously, yes, there have strange decisions. It was posted in here repeatedly that Wiz didn't want to do it. He gave them the go ahead. It still has that name though, even if you're super upset about it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Testekill posted:

So what's with the inability to Alt-tab out of the game without it dying?

Your computer sucks. I alt-tab out of CK2 constantly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Is there another part of this mod I need to run it? After installing it about half the kingdoms are listed as unplayable and noreligion. I exported the folder to documents/paradox/ckii and the mod file to the appropriate steamapp folder.

The mod folder and mod file both go in the documents/paradox/ckii/mod folder. It should work normally if you do it like that!

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm not seeing how this isn't all upside if you get a lovely ruler, in a way that really highlights one of the gamiest parts of the game: intentionally doing risky things if your controlled character sucks.

You might want to consider what downsides you could add that would make it not as attractive if you have a crap ruler you wouldn't mind dying.

Ooh. That is a good point. Hm. I'll really have to ponder about that! Maybe some kind of basic martial/health requirement? Like they should have at least 8 martial and no health traits?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't know I really like the idea that I could send my weak 0 Martial guy out into the woods and have him come back a crazy bear murdering monster.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I don't suppose there's a way to muck around with the triggers for excommunication? I wanted to make the Pope tend to throw it at people without input from others and make it so making an antipope is an automatic excommunication.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I don't know I really like the idea that I could send my weak 0 Martial guy out into the woods and have him come back a crazy bear murdering monster.

Yeah, that was actually the idea. The thought is that basically they're these crazy wild guys living in a frozen forest and have a tradition of running out and doing something :black101: as hell, getting super hosed-up on mystic trances and stuff, and then returning with visions of glory and conquest. In my imagined history, this is how the various Sonendar Nord enclaves were formed. Hundreds of years ago, some chieftain or another came back from his Bear Quest claiming that Yotan told him to sail across the ocean and invade Sonendar, so they did.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Ooh. That is a good point. Hm. I'll really have to ponder about that! Maybe some kind of basic martial/health requirement? Like they should have at least 8 martial and no health traits?

Insanity traits like lunatic and possessed, assuming they're still in Sonendar, should guarantee that you can do it even if you put a martial requirement on, though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm looking for a change of pace. Does anyone have any new map mods they would recommend? Or maybe just a mod that adds some events or traits? I'm not really looking for anything that changes how the game plays much, though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PureRok posted:

I'm looking for a change of pace. Does anyone have any new map mods they would recommend? Or maybe just a mod that adds some events or traits? I'm not really looking for anything that changes how the game plays much, though.

Try the VIET mod, it sounds like just what you are looking for.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Piell posted:

Try the VIET mod, it sounds like just what you are looking for.

Be warned the event and trait writing is bad and really sticks out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
You just gloss over the events after a while, though, (does anyone actually read the full text for events after the first few times?) and they do add some variety. Especially for fringe-characters like Jewish or African rulers.

I fully recommend VIET + PB if you want vanilla+.

Can I say how much I love the levy changes/new faction importance combined with CK2+'s factions? It's really cool to actually have to pay attention to my court or religious factions and tailor some of my decisions to please them. If only it were just a little more fleshed out, I really hope that one of the future DLC's revamps the faction system to be something like Wiz's.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 30, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So I played my first SoA game, and had a great time playing as a Ziani Patrician in Venice, especially as the second character, who assassinated two Doges to stop the useless wars of aggression that the Republic became embroiled in, then broke his campaign promies. went on a Crusade, was forgiven by the Pope for murdering his traitorous brother, fathered a demon spawn bastard, tried to make the Zianis the Habsburgs, and thus died while overseeing the campaign to reinstate his Capetian brother-in-law on the throne of France. Sadly, all the his heirs-to-be in the dynasty also happened to die, including his other traitorous brother who was his heir. I was forced to play as some forgotten member of a cadet branch.

It just became too boring without all of the actual interesting characters, and I had to quit. It was like I spent all of my fun points on one character and had no idea if I ever could recapture that glory. And no, I couldn't play as the demon spawn because she was never legitimised (and I was a Patrician, anyway). Sad, really.

I also noticed that it seemed pretty difficult to bribe any of your bishops into a cardinalship without being filthy rich.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 30, 2013

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Insanity traits like lunatic and possessed, assuming they're still in Sonendar, should guarantee that you can do it even if you put a martial requirement on, though.

It would be a lot more work, but adding a Berserker-style trait with a mix of upsides and downsides could work, especially if you added random good/bad events like Possessed and Berserker already have.

Another possibility is to make it an event like the Varangian Guard, where your son randomly decides to run off to the woods and commune with the bears. This eliminates the game-y feeling while retaining the effect, since it's perfectly reasonable to not care if a crappy son dies, as opposed to not caring if you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Or you could make outright death relatively unlikely, but give a much bigger chance of ending up maimed/incapable. Even if the health penalty will make you die earlier, you'll still get stuck with a major stat penalty or a regency for a while.

• Locked thread