Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spoeank posted:

Journalists are already :qq:ing over the NYC Super Bowl this year because maybe it won't have perfect weather for them.

Then again they poo poo-talked Jacksonville so maybe they should all just go gently caress themselves.

Sports journalists whine a whole lot for people who have a pretty cool loving job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Sports journalists whine a whole lot for people who have a pretty cool loving job.

I have to write words about sports with little oversight on "facts" or anything, its so hard!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

people with more money than sense.

Spoeank posted:

I have tickets at The Field of Jeans.

Checks out.:smug:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I went from lower level in the endzone to the nosebleeds. Outside of my PSL, my per-game ticket is going from $60 to $100. :gonk:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

I went from lower level in the endzone to the nosebleeds. Outside of my PSL, my per-game ticket is going from $60 to $100. :gonk:

I'm sure glad I live a thousand miles from my team so that I can never go watch a game for an exorbitant price. :smith:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Gonna keep postin' since I have tickets at The Field of Jeans. They're going to almost all be South Bay residents by design, hence the massive PSLs. They're basically designed to make it tech-company people with more money than sense.

Some of us tech-company people with more money than sense live in the city!

I fully expect them to not really think about the Caltrain problem until halfway through the season.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Don't worry, you'll be working all night Saturday at the office so you can just go straight to the game on Sunday :v:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I will enjoy t

rjmccall posted:

Some of us tech-company people with more money than sense live in the city!

I fully expect them to not really think about the Caltrain problem until halfway through the season.

Shuttle from the Lawrence station? The actual Santa Clara stop is not close at all.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Shuttle from the Lawrence station? The actual Santa Clara stop is not close at all.

I am expecting a train full of people to disembark and try to get on what will probably be, like, one 20-person shuttle, because I have very little faith that the Niners actually care.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
I'm going to be unable to watch Saints-Seahawks live on Monday. I was going to watch the NFL Rewind. Should I pay the $10 for the week-long access, or just get the 7 day free Season Plus trial? Is it hard to cancel before I have to pay?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
If Tomlin had been flagged for being in the way, how would the call have gone? Meaning, would Tomlin had been directly referenced, either by name or as the HC, or would have been a call against the Steelers in general?

Also, is there a site that talks about how the different hand signals for penalties and the like came about? A lot are pretty clear, referring to motions used by the offending player in the penalty, or a reference to something on the field, like touchdown/FG/PAT signal relating to the goalposts, and the horse-collar signal to the yanking motion on the jersey/pads, but others aren't necessarily as clear, like the rolling fists for false start and hands on the hips for encroachment. I'd be interested in learning origins/meanings for those things.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detective Thompson posted:

If Tomlin had been flagged for being in the way, how would the call have gone? Meaning, would Tomlin had been directly referenced, either by name or as the HC, or would have been a call against the Steelers in general?

Also, is there a site that talks about how the different hand signals for penalties and the like came about? A lot are pretty clear, referring to motions used by the offending player in the penalty, or a reference to something on the field, like touchdown/FG/PAT signal relating to the goalposts, and the horse-collar signal to the yanking motion on the jersey/pads, but others aren't necessarily as clear, like the rolling fists for false start and hands on the hips for encroachment. I'd be interested in learning origins/meanings for those things.

It would be assessed against the sideline.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

I don't have an answer, but do you have a video clip of what you are talking about?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Here's a gif:

There's video of the play at this link.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Here's a gif:

There's video of the play at this link.

Sideline interference would be the penalty. The refs can assess any compensation up to and including awarding a touchdown if it was severe enough. This has happened before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoCf3WqVyx4

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My football dream is to see the unfair act called.

So close.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Sash! posted:

My football dream is to see the unfair act called.

So close.

John Madden cries tears of joy and ascends into Heaven when the unfair act rule is used on a fair catch free kick.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Sideline interference would be the penalty. The refs can assess any compensation up to and including awarding a touchdown if it was severe enough. This has happened before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVrzl6LEiY

Hat

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The best part about this play is that at the time there wasn't even a rule to say what should happen in case of something like this, the referee literally just pulled "okay, we're going to award them a touchdown because gently caress you as much as possible" out of his butt and the NCAA rules committee went "welp, works for us!" and put it in the book for next year.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Deteriorata posted:

Deteriorata posted:

I think the best part of this is the guy from the sideline's reaction, like he just performed this amazing play no one has ever thought of or done

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The BCS rankings are a combination of coaches polls and computer rankings right?

How many coaches actually do the rankings themselves? Or do most of them have an assistant do it for them

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GNU Order posted:

The BCS rankings are a combination of coaches polls and computer rankings right?

How many coaches actually do the rankings themselves? Or do most of them have an assistant do it for them

Nearly every school has an assistant of some stripe do the poll for them. I don't know of any coaches who consider it a productive use of their time on a Sunday.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Deteriorata posted:

Nearly every school has an assistant of some stripe do the poll for them. I don't know of any coaches who consider it a productive use of their time on a Sunday.

So does the hatred and resistance towards a computer rankings system come from the fact that it doesn't seem as personal or in line with popular opinion?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

except for the last poll of the year. Thats when the coaches actually care.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

GNU Order posted:

So does the hatred and resistance towards a computer rankings system come from the fact that it doesn't seem as personal or in line with popular opinion?

A computer can't use its eyes

A computer doesn't KNOW things

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Paterno claimed to have, but he was also a dinosaur. Then he stopped voting when he tried to submit a ballot with more than one team ranked #1 in 2004 and they said you can't do that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

swickles posted:

Or the preseason poll, when Spurrier gives Duke a vote because that's where he got his first head coaching job.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swickles posted:

Mid-Majors in position to be BCS busters aren't going to drop 5 spots all by themselves.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Declan MacManus posted:

A computer can't use its eyes

A computer doesn't KNOW things

Or the fact most computer polls are secretive and there's no oversight to see if the formulas make a lick of sense. The guy programming the computer is (theoretically) capable of inputting whatever crazy formula into it with little drawback.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DOOP posted:

Or the fact most computer polls are secretive and there's no oversight to see if the formulas make a lick of sense. The guy programming the computer is (theoretically) capable of inputting whatever crazy formula into it with little drawback.

This poll is suspicious because Carnegie Mellon is ranked #1

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

GNU Order posted:

I think part of it is that the BCS blamed the 2003 matchup on computers, when it was in fact the BCS's own drat fault for not understanding math.

DOOP posted:

But you also have this. Only one of the six BCS ratings (Colley) is actually described in full, and two of them are complete black boxes. (Two of the other three are partially described, but leave out the specifics. If you were to construct your own algorithm along the same lines it'd likely give you much the same result. Sagarin doesn't describe his, but does call it "Elo", which is basically good enough.) I'd say only one of the six is really awful, but people seem to be suspicious of all of them.

Plus they're not allowed to use margin of victory, which really only hurts the ratings.

On a totally unrelated note, I've felt like I should try to get into the NFL for a long while now, but I don't really have any attachment to any of the teams, nor are any of them close enough to my hometown that I'd pick them on a solely geographic basis (I think we're designated as a secondary market for the Bengals, but my uncle is such a prick about them that that's probably the one team I wouldn't pick). How do I figure this out?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Basil Hayden posted:

On a totally unrelated note, I've felt like I should try to get into the NFL for a long while now, but I don't really have any attachment to any of the teams, nor are any of them close enough to my hometown that I'd pick them on a solely geographic basis (I think we're designated as a secondary market for the Bengals, but my uncle is such a prick about them that that's probably the one team I wouldn't pick). How do I figure this out?

Browns.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Basil Hayden posted:

I think part of it is that the BCS blamed the 2003 matchup on computers, when it was in fact the BCS's own drat fault for not understanding math.

But you also have this. Only one of the six BCS ratings (Colley) is actually described in full, and two of them are complete black boxes. (Two of the other three are partially described, but leave out the specifics. If you were to construct your own algorithm along the same lines it'd likely give you much the same result. Sagarin doesn't describe his, but does call it "Elo", which is basically good enough.) I'd say only one of the six is really awful, but people seem to be suspicious of all of them.

Plus they're not allowed to use margin of victory, which really only hurts the ratings.

I don't really follow the NFL but it seems like unless you want to watch lovely internet streams or make a big initial investment, you can really only follow the teams from your area. Other teams will regularly be on your TV, but which ones is kind of a crapshoot. The only team(s) you can watch on TV week after week will be from nearby.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don't really follow the NFL but it seems like unless you want to watch lovely internet streams or make a big initial investment, you can really only follow the teams from your area. Other teams will regularly be on your TV, but which ones is kind of a crapshoot. The only team(s) you can watch on TV week after week will be from nearby.
I watch almost all of my football on lovely internet streams anyway so this isn't really a big deal for me.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Okay so there was eight inches of snow today on the ground in the Eagles' stadium.

Holy poo poo how are they allowed to play in those conditions?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Basil Hayden posted:

I watch almost all of my football on lovely internet streams anyway so this isn't really a big deal for me.

The Browns suggestion fits in with your other football interests.

So uh...I'd suggest not picking them.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Grittybeard posted:

The Browns suggestion fits in with your other football interests.

So uh...I'd suggest not picking them.

Yeah I was going to comment that I don't think I can handle watching Kentucky football and the Browns every weekend. Much as I have a weakness for traditionally bad teams, I don't think mere mortals were meant for that pair of rooting interests.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay so there was eight inches of snow today on the ground in the Eagles' stadium.

Holy poo poo how are they allowed to play in those conditions?

Football plays in any conditions, other than active lightning.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

The postponed that game in Philly a few years ago, the one where we had the Joe Webb Experience and the Governor of PA making casually racist remarks about Chinamen, but that was because the stadium was literally packed to the brim with snow and not because of the weather itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Deteriorata posted:

A Ravens/Bears game was delayed for two hours just a couple of weeks ago due to threat of tornados.

• Locked thread