Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

gender illusionist posted:

So what sort of fun stuff can you do with use any item, bar the obvious getting past the kensai (and wizzard slayer?) disadvantages?

Wear the stuff that's highly class limited (Carsomyr, Scarlet Ninja-to, Staff o'da Magi, Gauntlets of Ex. Specialization, etc), wear most of the character specific items (Jan Jansen's gear, Jaheira's necklace), cast any cleric/druid/mage spell from scrolls, and use class-restricted potions and items that cast spells.

Edit: Take Haer'Dalis' short sword, Chaos Blade. Stick it on someone that can get 10 APR. Kill anything that's not immune to stat drain or +2 weapons.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Replacing Hexxat with Jan is the best thing that ever happened to me. Best character in the game hands down. Everything he says is pure gold.

Was planning on eventually using Imoen as my thief in his place since she's story-centric but now I just don't want to at all. Do you miss out on a lot of plot stuff by not using her later?

No.

Seriously, the "best" party is whoever you like, nobody gets more plot relevance then anyone else outside of a single character in ToB, and you'll know them when you meet them.

My party without question has always been Mazzy/Jan/Valygar/Keldorn/Minsc. Because why wouldn't you just want to be the hilarious deathball of bad one liners, quotes, and stories, but also goodness and one really sad stalker who will likely be replaced with Neera this time around.

Bringing Jan/Mazzy/Minsc to the major events of the game is pretty much required for at least one playthrough. They all have such unique responses to the world altering events they are taking part in.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

I have an issue where random text is showing up in the place of the weapon description of most weapons like that quarterstaff.

I'm playing BGEE and the only thing I have installed is BG2 Tweaks and looking through all the stuff listed in it, I can't find what the problem is. The items seem to do what they're supposed to, but it is annoying.

immoral_ fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 29, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MrTheDevious posted:

Was planning on eventually using Imoen as my thief in his place since she's story-centric but now I just don't want to at all. Do you miss out on a lot of plot stuff by not using her later?
She figures in the plot but she's not strictly necessary. Bioware's original plan was to have Irenicus kill her in Spellhold but they realized the fanbase would flip out (also that with Yoshimo gone most parties would be left without a decent thief).

And as someone up thread said, Hexxat's no-save 20d6 HLA is good enough to make her worth it. Drop a few outside the chromatic demon's spawn point in Watcher's Keep and laugh as he takes 120d6 damage in half a second. Also has the added advantage of hitting before contingencies trigger, so mage protections will kick in on their corpses.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 29, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

immoral_ posted:

I have an issue where random text is showing up in the place of the weapon description of most weapons like that quarterstaff.

I'm playing BGEE and the only thing I have installed is BG2 Tweaks and looking through all the stuff listed in it, I can't find what the problem is. The items seem to do what they're supposed to, but it is annoying.

It actually is BG2 Tweaks, because I had the same problem. It's from avatar changes related to class/armor, but I'm not 100% sure which one. I uninstalled all of them, problem was gone, reinstalled all of them, problem didn't come back. Just use the BG2Tweak uninstall thing to ditch all of it, start the game back up, quit it again, then reinstall whatever you want and the problem goes away.

Can't use Hexxat anymore regardless of HLAs since Keldorn butchered the gently caress out of her just like he did Viconia but Jan seems so loving hilarious I really don't care.

vvv I've not used a single one either, for exactly that reason. It just seems boring and lame compared to going :black101: on bitches

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 29, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Am I the only one who never bothered with HLA traps? It always just felt...too easy, even for overpowered stuff in BG2. It's not even an honor-system thing, it just sounds way too boring for me to ever bother with. Not sure I've ever placed a single one in all my forays into ToB.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Snicker-Snack posted:

Did you play through BG2? Because that's probably from the Hell trials.

Factor_VIII posted:

Was the character made in ToB? Because one of the trials of Bhaal...
There we go. Mystery solved.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Playing through BG2 with a couple friends, and two of us are wild mages. While trying to cast Glitterdust on Firkraag, I wild surge: petrified him which insta-killed him. Didn't get any items because of this, but we decided it was so awesome that we had to just leave it and keep going.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think you can still attack the petrified body and smash it to get the loot.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MrTheDevious posted:

It actually is BG2 Tweaks, because I had the same problem.

This. Be careful what you install with the G3 tweak pack, it hasn't been tested or upgraded for BG2:EE. I've limited my install to ammo, gem and potion stacking because anything that messes with item or kit changes can do bad things. For instance, allowing Cromwell to upgrade TOB items breaks his dialogs.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

MrTheDevious posted:

It actually is BG2 Tweaks, because I had the same problem. It's from avatar changes related to class/armor, but I'm not 100% sure which one. I uninstalled all of them, problem was gone, reinstalled all of them, problem didn't come back. Just use the BG2Tweak uninstall thing to ditch all of it, start the game back up, quit it again, then reinstall whatever you want and the problem goes away.

Can't use Hexxat anymore regardless of HLAs since Keldorn butchered the gently caress out of her just like he did Viconia but Jan seems so loving hilarious I really don't care.

vvv I've not used a single one either, for exactly that reason. It just seems boring and lame compared to going :black101: on bitches

Dillbag posted:

This. Be careful what you install with the G3 tweak pack, it hasn't been tested or upgraded for BG2:EE. I've limited my install to ammo, gem and potion stacking because anything that messes with item or kit changes can do bad things. For instance, allowing Cromwell to upgrade TOB items breaks his dialogs.

Thanks for the quick info, I'll give that a try.

Also, I don't have BG2:EE yet, haven't played through all of BG1 and don't have the money for the second EE anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

immoral_ posted:

Uninstall the exotic item part of BGTweaks.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Anyone knows if the Happy NPCs patch works in BGEE and BG2EE? I'll just edit Dorn's alignment if it doesn't.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Am I the only one who never bothered with HLA traps? It always just felt...too easy, even for overpowered stuff in BG2. It's not even an honor-system thing, it just sounds way too boring for me to ever bother with. Not sure I've ever placed a single one in all my forays into ToB.

Yeah its on par with dropping cloudkill on enemies from out of sight/closing a door earlier on in the game. A dragon dying instantly to 100d20 damage from your 5 traps is not really very fun way to do the fight.

In my current ironman run on the other hand, I fully intend to abuse the poo poo out of stuff like that.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Just bought BG1EE during the Steam sale. I'm trying to figure out what mods are compatible with BG1EE while it downloads; I'm mainly interested in the tweakpack and Unfinished Business.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Snicker-Snack posted:

Anyone knows if the Happy NPCs patch works in BGEE and BG2EE? I'll just edit Dorn's alignment if it doesn't.

After pretty solid experience watching half my party slaughter the other half, the part of BGTweaks that keeps NPCs from leaving the party due to your rep works in BG2EE, but the nobody-fighting-other-members does NOT work at all. I had it installed and Keldorn still happily murdered half my favorite NPCs, which actually ended up being pretty awesome and I'm glad it happened

^^^ I didn't use any mods during BG1EE, but from BG2EE, most of the tweakpack works fine while a couple other pieces cause really weird glitches or just don't function. The biggest I've run into so far is what the guy was asking about above, where item descriptions end up being replaced with random chat lines. I'm not sure what I did fixed it, but after tooling around in the BGTweaks a bunch, I got rid of all the dialogue issues and everything's either working like normal or just silently not functioning at all.

Also, if anyone else uses insane amounts of buffs and wants the weird edited scripts I hacked together from the creepy romance mod, I can host them somewhere. I can't imagine going back to manually casting 40 buffs constantly instead of just mashing S after rest then hitting F before tough fights

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I realized sometime during my last run through of BG1 that one of the more annoying quirks is how NPCs won't gain experience if you leave them sitting around. For example, you bring Jaheira to Beregost, decide you want to ditch her for Kagain for a bit, Jaheira isn't going to gain anything and pretty soon she's going to be far enough behind to not make it worth picking her back up at all.

Well, I'll solve that one, says I. I'm rolling with a party of Imoen/Minsc/Dorn/Neera and then my last slot rotates. Fetched Branwen and kept her until Xan showed up. Kept Xan until he tragically died during the end of Neera's quest (which made me realize that I like his dialogue. Dorn: You could have a traitor in your group! Imoen: You can't mean me. Neera: It isn't me! Xan: Oh who cares, we're all going to die.). I keep grabbing new people, they're leveled up to match me (at the cost of their proficiencies being wonky, but who cares, no one's staying that long) and all is right with the world.

Yeah, I could probably mod people up to proper levels too, but that's too much like work.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathChicken posted:

I realized sometime during my last run through of BG1 that one of the more annoying quirks is how NPCs won't gain experience if you leave them sitting around. For example, you bring Jaheira to Beregost, decide you want to ditch her for Kagain for a bit, Jaheira isn't going to gain anything and pretty soon she's going to be far enough behind to not make it worth picking her back up at all.

Well, I'll solve that one, says I. I'm rolling with a party of Imoen/Minsc/Dorn/Neera and then my last slot rotates. Fetched Branwen and kept her until Xan showed up. Kept Xan until he tragically died during the end of Neera's quest (which made me realize that I like his dialogue. Dorn: You could have a traitor in your group! Imoen: You can't mean me. Neera: It isn't me! Xan: Oh who cares, we're all going to die.). I keep grabbing new people, they're leveled up to match me (at the cost of their proficiencies being wonky, but who cares, no one's staying that long) and all is right with the world.

Yeah, I could probably mod people up to proper levels too, but that's too much like work.

Just...just use CLUAConsole: SetCurrentXP("<EXP value that your party has>")

It's simple and effective, and is pretty much what I always do for that very reason.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Too much like work! Besides, it's a way to make myself actually use people I never use. I don't think I've ever bothered even taking Xan out of the mines before.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Work? It literally consist of hitting CTRL+Space and then typing some words. Specifically, the exact words I just typed.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's WAY more work than systematically murdering every NPC in the game at regular intervals :confused:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
This shouldn't come as a surprise. Remember that in the last BG thread there was a guy who would spend dozens of hours farming mobs via a bug (or something to that effect), while refusing to just Shadowkeeper or console in the extra experience because that would totally be cheating, man.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kangaxx immunity to anti-magic cheese confirmed. RIP my entire party.

I guess the only thing to do is throw summons at him so that he'll waste his imprisonments. How many does he have?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Either that or it's a gimmicky/amusing way to make myself use new characters. Replaced Xan with Kivan long enough to slaughter the bandit camp. Surprisingly no one died there. Just had to send a couple of people to occupy the mages, incapacitate the poison archer and leave someone else to lead the ogre and bodyguards on a wild goose chase. It's usually far more of a headache.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Basic Chunnel posted:

I guess the only thing to do is throw summons at him so that he'll waste his imprisonments. How many does he have?
Infinite? I don't think I've ever seen him run out.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Infinite I think.

Have you tried scrolls of protection from magic or undead? In my last game I took him out with an Fighter/Mage/Cleric wielding the Staff of Rynn +4 and the Ring of the Ram while under the protection of Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

He never runs out. Ever. It's an innate for him. Just use a prot from undead scroll and it turns into the dumbest fight I've had so far. He just stands there while you smash his nuts into his throat.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Protection from magic effectively neutered his lich form but his demilich form ignored it. Will try for pro-undead

*edit - nope, unfazed

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 30, 2013

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

Either that or it's a gimmicky/amusing way to make myself use new characters. Replaced Xan with Kivan long enough to slaughter the bandit camp. Surprisingly no one died there. Just had to send a couple of people to occupy the mages, incapacitate the poison archer and leave someone else to lead the ogre and bodyguards on a wild goose chase. It's usually far more of a headache.

Fair enough, I can't begrudge trying out all the NPCs at least once. The first time I picked up Jan in BG2 I hit myself for waiting so long to play with him in the party.

Factor_VIII posted:

Have you tried scrolls of protection from magic or undead? In my last game I took him out with an Fighter/Mage/Cleric wielding the Staff of Rynn +4 and the Ring of the Ram while under the protection of Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

Scrolls of protection from undead are the ultimate lich cheese. The rest of your party can hang by the exit while one guy with a +4 weapon whacks away while the lich/Kangaxx just stands there. If you're fast enough you can get from the city gates lich to the bridge district lich to Kangaxx before the timer on the protection runs out. (you need to get the bones from the sewers lich first, of course.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Factor_VIII posted:

Infinite I think.

I used Prot from Undead and had Minsc whack him with the Mace of Disruption until he got disrupted. Twice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

He never runs out. Ever. It's an innate for him. Just use a prot from undead scroll and it turns into the dumbest fight I've had so far. He just stands there while you smash his nuts into his throat.

Kangaxx does not have either of those body parts. :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Protection from magic effectively neutered his lich form but his demilich form ignored it. Will try for pro-undead

Did you re-cast it? The Demi-Lich form is a distinct creature from the Lich form IIRC, no status change carries over.
e:wait, you mean on yourself don't you. Ignore my dumb post.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

oh poo poo duh, I'd been casting pro-magic on HIM to cause spell failure, which worked on the lich but not the demilich. Just going to reload and have Minsc go to town. False Alarm (??)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've never played the Baldur's Gate series games but I have played the poo poo out of Torment and both Icewind Dales. Would it be worth it to install something like SCS for an infinity engine vet, or would I better off playing stock for a first run? I don't know how differently those two games play compared to IWD I & II.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DSauer posted:

I've never played the Baldur's Gate series games but I have played the poo poo out of Torment and both Icewind Dales. Would it be worth it to install something like SCS for an infinity engine vet, or would I better off playing stock for a first run? I don't know how differently those two games play compared to IWD I & II.

Very little in common with IWD2 or Torment, a fair bit in common with IWDI.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's hard, but doable. I'd recommend not using pre-buffing, that poo poo is crazy. SCS is made for the kind of gamer that likes to have to min/max in order to succeed. If you don't consider yourself that kind of player I cant recommend it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yeah maybe I'll take a pass on that and try it for a second play through. Thanks.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
All liches and demiliches are vulnerable to Azuredge and MoD, so if you're stuck and don't mind reloading a bit it's possible to whack both his forms on the first hit.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kangaxx does not have either of those body parts. :colbert:

Hey everybody, look at this chump who never found the golden nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Corvinus posted:

All liches and demiliches are vulnerable to Azuredge and MoD, so if you're stuck and don't mind reloading a bit it's possible to whack both his forms on the first hit.

That's the best solution. It throws you off a bit because neither is magic enough to hit him and the regular blows have no effect but the disruption/whatever Azuredge does goes off beautifully.