Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Wait? Blue Beetle John Rogers? poo poo, I am now triple sold.

So this one dude is responsible for the DnD Comics, the Blue Beetle relaunch and Leverage? Why isn't he working more? What is he currently doing and how can I consume it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So this one dude is responsible for the DnD Comics, the Blue Beetle relaunch and Leverage? Why isn't he working more? What is he currently doing and how can I consume it?

Currently he's doing Arcanum with Todd Harris at Thrillbent, Mark Waid's digital comics emporium. It's free. Go read it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also the Global Frequency tv pilot that didn't get picked up, and iirc the Feywild section of the 4th edition D&D Manual of the Planes.

He's also responsible for Catwoman, starring Halle Berry, but they can't all be winners.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's also writing the script for the Queen and Country movie.

His blog mentions that he'd meant to do a bunch more comics work after his show wrapped up, but then suddenly a bunch of new stuff came into the pipe out of nowhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fatherdog posted:

Also the Global Frequency tv pilot that didn't get picked up, and iirc the Feywild section of the 4th edition D&D Manual of the Planes.

He's also responsible for Catwoman, starring Halle Berry, but they can't all be winners.

No offense to JR but the Global Frequency pilot was loving terrible.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

fatherdog posted:

It's a bit unfair to put Catwoman all on him. While he's one of 4 writers who got a credit for it, Catwoman passed through the hands of 28 writers before it made it to screen. He talked about it a bit when he was on War Rocket Ajax.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SaintFu posted:

It's a bit unfair to put Catwoman all on him. While he's one of 4 writers who got a credit for it, Catwoman passed through the hands of 28 writers before it made it to screen. He talked about it a bit when he was on War Rocket Ajax.

Actually my favorite statement he ever made on it was on his blog -

quote:

Rogers: -- a game we used to play. Sum up a movie in one word.
Rieder: One word.
Rogers: The idea is, you're trying to develop your writing compass. It helps you figure out the theme in your own work, so you can always make sure you're on beam. When in doubt, you focus on that word. What's the movie about?
Boylan: What if you get it wrong?
Rogers: You can't get it wrong. It's whatever you think the movie's about. Sometimes the word you pick says more about you than the movie you're discussing.
Rieder: Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Rogers: "Change."
Rieder: Huh. I see that. The English Patient.
Rogers: "Loss."
Albert: Can you do it with TV shows? Maybe individual episodes.
Rogers: I don't know, I'd say Buffy is "solitude."
Boylan: I would have said "loneliness."
Rogers: Better, actually.
Berg: What was the one word in your head for Catwoman?
Downey: "Mortgage."
Rogers: ...
Rogers: Nicely done.
Downey: Thank you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SaintFu posted:

Same thing with his other major movie credits, like The Core or the first Transformers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
His explanation on how The Core became The Core is great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dollman presents an extremely literal cover!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

muscles like this? posted:

The fact that he's looking out at the reader with a look on his face that says 'Yeah, we made that joke. What're you gonna do about it?' is cracking me up.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, going by the size of that bulge, he either poo poo himself or "Doll Man" is anatomically correct.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, going by the size of that bulge, he either poo poo himself or "Doll Man" is anatomically correct.

Looking at his face, it could be both.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

His explanation on how The Core became The Core is great.

Got a link?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

John Rogers in an article comment posted:

I wouldn't mind clearing up a few things, if you can spare the space. This is actually kind of interesting, for anyone curious about the screenwriting process.

Having spent two years as the last writer on The Core I can assure you, at the cost of immense psychic pain inflicted upon me by the luddite executives, I was not ony the single person in the entire development process who read Earth, I was drat certain the only person who had read any. science fiction. At all.

Cooper Layne, a perfectly nice fella,usually a movie producer, the original writer, got the idea from a special on volcanoes he was watching back in the day. The movie was sold on the pitch "Armageddon ... but down." The subsequent drafts reflected that level of enthusiasm for actual science. The draft before I showed up, the vessel had a windshield. Oh, a diamond windshield, but a windshield.

Yeah.

So geek-boy Rogers shows up, and starts digging in. I assure you, although I'd read Earth some ten years earlier, it hadn't really stuck with me (no offense) to the point I could remember plot points a decade later. And I'm drat well sure Cooper hadn't read Preuss, nor had I -- although I may well pick him up now based on your recommendation.

So how did we wind up with the overlap? Well, as far as the tile goes, that was dreamed up by Paramount studio's publicity -- although one might point out that there's not a lot of other titles you could give that movie. The electromagnetic field issue was mine -- because I pointed out that every other problem they had was complete bullshit. The version before mine, actually, the Earth was going to SWING OUT OF ORBIT, and be spun out into space. Because its mass (yes, stay with me) was changing.

Again ... yeah.

So the suited ones said "Fine, Mister mockety-mock, what problem would make sense if linked to a problem with the core?" I piped up with "Well, you know, the core drives the earth's electromagnetic field ..." It wasn't plagiarism, it was parallel development. Makes sense, when you think about it -- given the first part of the word problem, what else would any decently educated science-fiction guy come up with?

As for the trench/whale business, I believe that came from one of the middle writers, so I can't reference whether that was a lift. I doubt it. I did, at the time, mention it seemed kind of needlessly dangerous, as it shaved maybe five miles off a several-thousand mile trip ... but all the directors dug the image, so it stayed.

The military project coincidence, again, I can testify directly to. For my entire time on the project, I wanted it to be a radically accellerated pole shift. The whole point of my take is that we are very lucky monkeys who have just had a long bit of favorable conditions -- and it will fall to our brainiest monkeys to save us when the bad things happen.

This led to one of my favorite Hollywood moments. After I turned in my next-to-last draft, the executives looked at me, very seriously, hand on knee, low subdued tones: "John, we really like this last draft, but one thing bugs us. The whole idea of the north and south pole switching places -- it's WAY over the top and unbelievable. It just reeks of bullshit."

Deep breath. Okay, I shrug. What did you have in mind?

"Welllll, how about ... A GIANT LASER THAT SHOOTS INTO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH!"

... This, by the way, is why screenwriting pays so well. They don't pay me to write. I'd write for free. They pay me NOT to punch people in the neck.

From there, it was up to me to cook up WHY somebody would shoot energy into the earth. Targetted earthquakes seemed the most logical choice, my messy pressure bandage on the spurting aorta of logic. Unless we're going to assume then-Paramount President Sherry Lansing is a secret sci-fi fan, we can write that one of as coincidence.

As you acknowledge, you have to put people in peril in these situations, but that meant we had to send people down where no-one could survive. Again, when I showed up, they had people lava-walking like space-walking. Sweet lordy. So I nixed that, and also solved the ship-building issue with the unobtanium in-joke. I'm actually kind of hurt you didn't dig the joke, but that was the least of my worries. Imagine my joy, after constructing a large-scale version of a crystal (the biggest one is a quarter-mile, I think, I just extrapolated up) so the characters could leave the ship for a brief moment, and my long explanations to the execs of why we had to do this, because there was NO WAY that ANY suit could withstand the pressure, imagine my joy ...

... when during the screening, I see the suits have dubbed in the line "At least now we know the suits can take the pressure."

Gahhhh .... gahhhh .... don't even get me started on why we were stuck with nukes. I postulated at least five other solves, all of them tossed aside because execs could never understand anything but the nukes.

Now, as to the Earth crossovers -- unfortunately you're misinterpreting the "hack the earth" line. That was Rat's line, and it referred to a big section of the script that was dropped -- the cover-up of what was going on. Ironically, a big part of why I took the movie in the first place was because I wanted to explore the emotional ramifications of even knowing this was going on. Yeah, that went away, What Rat's referring to there is his assignment of monitoring the entire world's information networks and killing any references to the increasing symptoms of the core's instability. That's what he meant by "hack the planet". I doubt you want to waste you time reading the early draft, but I can send it if you want.

As to your heroic female shuttle pilot -- well, we needed a crew for the ship, and a shuttle crew made sense. Having a hyper-competent female character, though, comes from my personal life -- my first serious girlfriend went off to the Air Force Academy and became a combat chopper pilot (hey there, Emily, wherever you are). I thought Josh dealing with a woman who was far more competent, in so many ways, in traditionally more male fields would be fun. I landed on the dynamic for, probably, the same reason you did -- I was sick of screaming girly scientist being saved by macho military guy.

So all in all, there are two things to come out of this: first, I think that you're going to see more "overlap" when movies tackle similar situations to sci fi novels, as more science-literate writers, more guys who started out as sci fi fans, enter the world. Overlap because the movies (I hope) written by such people will drift closer to the nataural science extrapolations good sci fi novelists do as a matter of course.

Second -- I like The Core. When I came on, I set out to make one of the 50's/60's "science hero" movies that inspired me to go into physics (it was those movies and Lucifer's Hammer actually, that led me to my field). I probably should have told Paramount that's what I was up to, but it's more likely for the best they had no idea what I was up tp. The Core is an explicit rejection of the "scientists bad, blue collar/soldier boys good" ethos that seems to have taken over current cinematic science fiction. There are some drat fine acting moments in there, and snark be damned, most of the science is not just as good as you're going to possiby accomplish ih in the mainstream moviemaking process, it's actually drat good on its own merits. Compared to the sci-fi movie pantheon of the last ten years, I think we did okay. It's developing a lovely little DVD following, much like The Postman. If one kid sees physicists saving the day with wave-interference formulas fer chrissake, as in our big finale, and thinks it's cool, we did okay.

I'll take my ribbing, but I'm still fond of it. In the same sense that you defend and love Costner's Postman and mention it's delayed following, I've got to reclaim The Core from your grasp -- that's my good-hearted, flawed movie, not your anklebiter. Keep your mitts to your own legacy. Earth is a frikkin' masterpiece, leave my my little movie.

And you'd never sleep again if you knew how close I came to being the guy who adapted Uplift. :P

His quip about why they pay screenwriters so much is gold.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat... That is awesome :)

I can't even begin to imagine the shitfest we would have ended up with before he got involved.

Oh, also a side request. I'm having trouble remembering a book but thought it might be recognized by someone here.

I think it was from Image? Probably around 90-95?

The artwork was in that overly muscled almost anime look, and the lead guy didn't talk much but had a sword of some kind that had a big gem on it, I think, and it transformed. Blue gem maybe?

Some main bad guy was some badass ninja who had all these mystical rune tattoos that should have stopped any weapon, but he ended up getting stabbed in the forehead? by the main guy's transforming sword. While this didn't kill him, it did apparently mess him up pretty good because I recall a panel of him just with a big screaming face and a big sword blade poking out of his noggin.

Also there was a redheaded lady with the regulation huge rack, witchy spells and tiny clothes.

Any ideas? I remembered buying it and laughing at the artwork, and thought it'd be worth tracking down.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The artwork was in that overly muscled almost anime look, [snip] Also there was a redheaded lady with the regulation huge rack, witchy spells and tiny clothes.

Battle Chasers by Joe Madureira. That is literally just about all anyone remembers it for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat... That is awesome :)

I can't even begin to imagine the shitfest we would have ended up with before he got involved.

I'm kinda sad we didn't.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

muscles like this? posted:

'Doll doll doll, he's the Doll Man!'

....No, it's not quite right. Even though he is socking evil in the eye.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

404GoonNotFound posted:

Battle Chasers by Joe Madureira. That is literally just about all anyone remembers it for.

Calibretto was awesome and deserves more respect.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'm pretty sure people remember Joe Mad ending it because he needed more videogame time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Nova #10: The new Nova isn't happy about having to cut a deal with his mom regarding the time he can spend superhero-ing and so presents a hypothetical situation that could totally happen where this policy could get in the way.

I don't know what I like more, the part about not being able to pronounce "Mjolnir" or the Punisher's line.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think we need the thread renamed to "The Funny Panels Thread - Hulk Slap Knee".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

IUG posted:

I think we need the thread renamed to "The Funny Panels Thread - It's Guffawing Time!".

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
That's.... actually kinda good. Has Duggan officially taken over the book yet?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

TwoPair posted:

Nova #10: The new Nova isn't happy about having to cut a deal with his mom regarding the time he can spend superhero-ing and so presents a hypothetical situation that could totally happen where this policy could get in the way.

I don't know what I like more, the part about not being able to pronounce "Mjolnir" or the Punisher's line.

I think it would be even funnier if he had been acting out this whole scene with a bunch of action figures.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Go forward with care, it's all downhill after that scene in Nova. I actually stopped reading in disgust, it was so bad.

I did just add The Core to my Netflix stream, though!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

TwoPair posted:

It's actually that Kaine, in true Kaine fashion, continues to look grumpy while everyone else is yucking it up.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The correct answer is Wolverine remembering that he is obligated to add "Bub" to all sentences to prove this is something he actually said.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Go forward with care, it's all downhill after that scene in Nova. I actually stopped reading in disgust, it was so bad.

I did just add The Core to my Netflix stream, though!

I think Sam hanging out with the Watcher on the moon is great.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I actually enjoyed Sam watching Richard Rider's term as Nova and realize he's being a arrogant brat as a result.
Considering that plot summary is almost exactly what most Sam Nova critics were demanding, I'm surprised they hate this issue so much.

I also like how Nova's book shows the Watcher act much more indirectly than in other series. It's like he's really finding subtle loopholes in his whole non intervening vow rather than outright breaking it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm loving the new Nova. He has a strong supporting cast to bounce off of with his headstrong attitude.

I'd like to see Dick Rider come back so people can stop being so hard on Sam. Maybe put him on the Guardians of the Galaxy, because I think the New Nova has the Earth adventures covered.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SilverSupernova posted:

I also like how Nova's book shows the Watcher act much more indirectly than in other series. It's like he's really finding subtle loopholes in his whole non intervening vow rather than outright breaking it.

But does he still have that signed picture of Reed on his nightstand?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Lost my poo poo with Punisher's line.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
After he finishes telling the story does Sam's mom call out that he just claimed to like everything about Doom with the exception of his face?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Doom's body is fine! :doom:

From Doom #1

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Does he spend the entire strip crouching down like that in order to preserve his modesty or does he rustle up a lion-skin loin-cloth?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Obviously Doom cuts a mask from the skin of the lion. What a silly question.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Either the colorist just heard "Africa" and ran with it, or I just learned that Doctor Doom is a black dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DarkCrawler posted:

Either the colorist just heard "Africa" and ran with it, or I just learned that Doctor Doom is a black dude.

Turns out Latveria is really just Wakanda's rear end in a top hat next door neighbor, displaced through creative application of PymDoom Particles. Who knew?

• Locked thread