Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Delacroix posted:

Just a quick question, I've got some change left over and the DLC is on sale. Does slingshot add armor decorations for each type of armor or does the elite soldier pack do that?

I think its elite soldier, but Slingshot gives you a lot of hats. Like an awesome beret + sunglasses combination.

Also late game, I think a sniper mech is the way to go. With sniper's aim + the damage pathway, the mech is just this awesome fire support platform. Granted, not having the repair sucks, but a paladin mech already has so much hp 6 returned isn't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have a confession to make

I ... don't usually bother with hats :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fedoras for everyone

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

You monster!

Truthfully I have a tendency to not Hat out my squads till they earn a Nickname.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I go with a general hat type by Class. Assaults get the Beret + Sunglasses. Supports the Ballcap + Radio Set. Heavies have been getting the Helmet that exposes the lower face lately, and Snipers get the Knit Cap & Goggles. Once we get to Titan/Archangel (and all MECs) get full face Helmets. Rookies are all colored green and get the bowl helmet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Fedoras for everyone

I put Fedora's on my sacrificial squad members. They know what they did. I usually find myself using some kind of helmet on male characters, females not so much. All mecs get full faced helmets to look like proper robbits.

To the above, funnily I give my snipers the beret and sunglasses. Assaults get the military helmet usually. Heavies get whatever looks fanciest at the time.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Managed to get Laser Weapons in March this run. :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eimi posted:

Also late game, I think a sniper mech is the way to go. With sniper's aim + the damage pathway, the mech is just this awesome fire support platform. Granted, not having the repair sucks, but a paladin mech already has so much hp 6 returned isn't that great.

It takes a bit of work, but a MEC with high aim with skills focused entirely on the gun is a thing of beauty/terror. No overwatch aim penalties, MEC-flavored Bulletswarm and an extra overwatch if shot at is amazing when you reach or surpass the 100 aim point. I'd still take Damage Control over the +2 damage on autopsied enemies as it's really not that much of a damage output. Besides, taking -2 to all incoming damage for 2 turns is very good for keeping your MEC alive as they are still expensive investments.

Honestly, if you're gonna have MEC specialized for staying with your buddies and giving ultra-heavy fire support, an aim blessed Support or mid-level Sniper makes a very good soldier to send to the chopping block.

Heavy and Assults make better "run forward, punch everything" MECs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Alkydere posted:

It takes a bit of work, but a MEC with high aim with skills focused entirely on the gun is a thing of beauty/terror. No overwatch aim penalties, MEC-flavored Bulletswarm and an extra overwatch if shot at is amazing when you reach or surpass the 100 aim point. I'd still take Damage Control over the +2 damage on autopsied enemies as it's really not that much of a damage output. Besides, taking -2 to all incoming damage for 2 turns is very good for keeping your MEC alive as they are still expensive investments.

Honestly, if you're gonna have MEC specialized for staying with your buddies and giving ultra-heavy fire support, an aim blessed Support or mid-level Sniper makes a very good soldier to send to the chopping block.

Heavy and Assults make better "run forward, punch everything" MECs.
Yeah, that isn't a trade off I have mathed out correctly. It basically comes down to what does a Autopsy bonus mech kill in two shots that a Damage Control takes 3 for. But for now the sheer amount of pain this guy dishes out is impressive. It's like a mobile heavy with incredible aim. And I have a tanky heavy mec pilot on reserve as well, so not worried for this run at least.

I am of the opinion that Heavy mecs are just flat out superior to Assault ones though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Autopsy bonus on Flamethrower MEC is fun. Especially against 'Lids who now all burn in one shot!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really don't think the defensive buff really pans out. You really need to be getting shot a lot in a single turn for it to really be effective and even high-level Mecs don't really have the HP to survive that much. +2 damage can often be the difference between killing an enemy in one turn or killing them in two and that has a bigger impact on your overall suitability.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jng2058 posted:

The Autopsy bonus on Flamethrower MEC is fun. Especially against 'Lids who now all burn in one shot!

I didn't think it worked on the Flamer. It won't help on the first terror mission but I imagine it would make the second almost trivial....Burn bugs burn!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
It's kind of hosed up/awesome that MECs with Absorption, Repair Servos, and Damage Control can actually "tank" Chryssalid mobs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

jng2058 posted:

Wait, the Autopsy bonus works on the Flamethrower? Does it work on EVERYTHING ELSE too? Because if it works on stuff like the grenades or mines or EMP, that would totally change my thoughts on that bonus and make it a trade off I'd have to think about. +2 damage Alien Grenades fired at rocket-launcher distance would be loving amazing.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Finally finished a true (hard to break a save-scumming habit) classic ironman run. I rushed sats the first month which was awesome, but then I screwed up the geoscape in the 2nd month and didn't get enough satellites up to control panic. That combined with delaying the base assault too long resulted in losing two countries in month two. Then I got mimetic skin and a snapshot in-the-zone sniper with HEAT ammo and well... From month three onward was the unfortunate cakewalk that you'd expect.

It really is frustrating how inconsistent the difficulty of the game is. It goes from being incredibly punishing in the first month or so, to a yawn-fest alien meatgrinder towards the end of the game. The sweet-spot in between is so, so good though; it's a shame it only lasts about 8 weeks.

For my impossible ironman run I'm definitely rushing for SHIVs and robo-techs ASAP because holy crap sentinel SHIVs are amazing and the perfect counter for my least favorite enemy in the game (sectoid commanders). I didn't realize how drat good they are until a single alloy SHIV soloed 3 sectoid commanders like it was nothing. From then on I ALWAYS took at least one SHIV. And proximity mine traps are pretty much my favorite thing now.

Edit: has anyone finished impossible ironman with all of the extra difficulty modifiers turned on? That would be nightmarish.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 30, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Anony Mouse posted:

Finally finished a true (hard to break a save-scumming habit) classic ironman run. I rushed sats the first month which was awesome, but then I screwed up the geoscape in the 2nd month and didn't get enough satellites up to control panic. That combined with delaying the base assault too long resulted in losing two countries in month two. Then I got mimetic skin and a snapshot in-the-zone sniper with HEAT ammo and well... From month three onward was the unfortunate cakewalk that you'd expect.

It really is frustrating how inconsistent the difficulty of the game is. It goes from being incredibly punishing in the first month or so, to a yawn-fest alien meatgrinder towards the end of the game. The sweet-spot in between is so, so good though; it's a shame it only lasts about 8 weeks.

Yeah, I really don't see the Classic being significantly more difficult than it was in EU as it was marketed to be before the EW launch. The difficulty spikes pretty early, and after you pass that point it's basically just a mop up operation. I'm sure Firaxis tried to mitigate the advantage that all the new stuff gives to the player, but they didn't do enough.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mr Dog posted:

I'm boring and just give everyone the kevlar helmet that was added in EW, though a few snipers do get the ballcap + headset combo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Great view XCOM.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Hellburger99 posted:

Adding to what everyone else suggested, just try saving and reloading. It happens to me all the time, typically if I alt/tab too often. If that doesn't fix it, I don't know what to tell you.

Try just tapping the alt button again. Sometimes it gets into a "stuck" state and causes that scrolling. Alternatively, tapping the key that corresponds to the direction its scrolling, as someone mentioned.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Anony Mouse posted:

Edit: has anyone finished impossible ironman with all of the extra difficulty modifiers turned on? That would be nightmarish.

twitch.tv\defenderofsoul Finished I/I + 21/21 SW options.

In true XCOM fanatic style, he is now doing it again trying for the Army of Four achievement. (No squad size allowed.)

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I've had two missions ruined by Thin Men and it is really putting me off from continuing the game. I lost an entire squad with only one turn to react because they dropped around me in a perfect flank and proceeded to not miss a single shot or shoot for below killing damage. Like obviously I made a mistake in moving too aggressively to reach the survivor, but being punished for not guessing that enemies would spawn directly behind my units and having my only option be desperate 45% shots just feels endlessly frustrating, and if the rest of the DLC missions are like this then I think Firaxis didn't learn a single goddamn thing about mission design from the base game.

edit: okay so I just turned my last remaining veteran into a Adam Jensen and made a power-fist equipped robosuit for him to punch the poo poo out of aliens with. Game is cool. Its just maddening to get one-shotted by those no-scope 360 fuckheads that are Thin Men but I guess that's Xcom, baby.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 30, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Doing the Overseer Crash Site mission, taking things slow as hell knowing what's waiting for me. I find a couple of Elite Mutons, no big deal I think to myself, they're out of range so I set all my dudes in good spots to take them out when they show up. On their turn one Muton throws a grenade that blows up the wall to the ship's control room, revealing a Sectopod, 2 drones, 2 more Elite Mutons, And the Ethereal, who are all now flanking me. 2 Heavy floaters heard the noise and decided to come and see what's going on.

:shepface::xcom::shepface:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Doing the Overseer Crash Site mission, taking things slow as hell knowing what's waiting for me. I find a couple of Elite Mutons, no big deal I think to myself, they're out of range so I set all my dudes in good spots to take them out when they show up. On their turn one Muton throws a grenade that blows up the wall to the ship's control room, revealing a Sectopod, 2 drones, 2 more Elite Mutons, And the Ethereal, who are all now flanking me. 2 Heavy floaters heard the noise and decided to come and see what's going on.

:shepface::xcom::shepface:

I had a similar experience on my EW Overseer missions. Lost half my A-team including my tier-3 (and only) MEC when I got cocky from the initial encounters and stumbled into two sectopods who fought me from inside the ufo. Had to bug out and save my remaining soldiers. Second time I shoot down the overseer barely goes better but I manage to scrape past it. I definitely didn't have such difficult missions this late into EU so it was nice to get a challenge even though I gritted my teeth at the losses. With some careful balance modding this expansion could get stretched into a really outstanding long haul.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Scrree posted:

I've had two missions ruined by Thin Men and it is really putting me off from continuing the game. I lost an entire squad with only one turn to react because they dropped around me in a perfect flank and proceeded to not miss a single shot or shoot for below killing damage. Like obviously I made a mistake in moving too aggressively to reach the survivor, but being punished for not guessing that enemies would spawn directly behind my units and having my only option be desperate 45% shots just feels endlessly frustrating, and if the rest of the DLC missions are like this then I think Firaxis didn't learn a single goddamn thing about mission design from the base game.

edit: okay so I just turned my last remaining veteran into a Adam Jensen and made a power-fist equipped robosuit for him to punch the poo poo out of aliens with. Game is cool. Its just maddening to get one-shotted by those no-scope 360 fuckheads that are Thin Men but I guess that's Xcom, baby.
Was it that one early council mission in France? I loving hate that mission.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Any news on sales yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Any news on sales yet?

It came out like two weeks ago. I really doubt EW is getting a sale soon.

Enemy Unknown has some great deals on Steam though.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Sales figures, sorry. I wanted to know if we're in for a second expansion.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So the game freezing when the Seekers blunder into the Battle Scanner, that's a thing huh.

Sigh.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Sales figures, sorry. I wanted to know if we're in for a second expansion.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't get one.

2 Track EP posted:

Please give us a TFTD expansion, Firaxis :qq:

Pretty sure they said it's not going to happen.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 30, 2013

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

2 Track EP posted:

I hope Firaxis neatly side-step 'what if sectoids had aqua-lungs' and then consider remaking Apocalypse for all of five seconds before proceeding to do entirely their own thing for the next X-COM game.

Given Solomon's distaste for TFTD, I doubt we'll see it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Given Solomon's distaste for TFTD, I doubt we'll see it.

It's not just Solomon. This expansion's lead also talked about it recently on Three Moves Ahead. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the general company sentiment.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Ugh, it turns out I'm a gigantic scrub at this game. I just handily beat Classic Enemy Within, dabbled briefly with Impossible before saying Nah, then started again on Implassic with all the soldier stat and economy randomizing options turned on. I had a decent start but a failed council and terror mission in the middle of month 2 sees me just about to fall into the failure spiral. It seems that if I'm not satellite rushing in Asia, I don't know what I'm doing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Made it after restarting to get a few less mechtoid / discs and after I equipped a laser rifle onto everybody who could carry one.

Chepurnov didn't panic but he did at one point speak German.

Zookeeper was the arc thrower Assault who captured the sectoid commander in the alien base - he died right after killing the one in ours.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 30, 2013

d-whee
Jun 10, 2006

This isn't nearly as bad as it looks.
The latest episode of my blind classic playthrough doesn't contain any missions, but it does contain a recap of the first two months, as well as some blinding rage.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
If I dismiss my MEC, do I get to keep the suit and can I put someone else in it? I was wondering why my heavy MEC was missing so many shots. Turns out he's a Colonel with 65 aim :negative:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

richardfun posted:

If I dismiss my MEC, do I get to keep the suit and can I put someone else in it? I was wondering why my heavy MEC was missing so many shots. Turns out he's a Colonel with 65 aim :negative:

Worst part is soldiers you turned into MECs early also get lovely movement.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Yes, you will keep the suit if you dismiss the trooper. It's considered armour.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

richardfun posted:

I haven't actually tried it but you should be able to keep the suit, it's just an equippable/unequippable armor, it's not actually tied to the unit.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Right, I forgot the suit is produced like any other armor.

Welp, guess Zhang is getting his limbs chopped off just like in my previous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

Worst part is soldiers you turned into MECs early also get lovely movement.

Is this with Hidden Potential turned on? I didn't think soldiers got movement from leveling up aside from the Sprinter talent. I know soldiers you turn into mecs get terrible aim thanks to their Heavy like stat growth. But just another reason why early Heavy Mec and then late Sniper/Support mec is so good.

• Locked thread