Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Devyl posted:

Cayenne? That's chump stuff.

That caravan's manufacturer posted:

Mass in running order kg 1224 (2,698 lb)

Motor Trend's page for the Porsche Cayenne posted:

published curb weight (lbs): 4,475 (2029 kg)

:colbert:

E: And that neglects the weight of a car trailer that will fit a Cayenne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Devyl posted:

Cayenne? That's chump stuff.

I imagine the driver as a balding mid fifty year old with a mustache and aviators. When you pull up next to him at the stop light, he lowers the window and casually raises his '' world's best dad'' mug in salute.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Xguard86 posted:

I imagine the driver as a balding mid fifty year old with a mustache and aviators. When you pull up next to him at the stop light, he lowers the window and casually raises his '' world's best dad'' mug in salute.

There is nothing wrong with any of that. Dude probably has fun.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Xguard86 posted:

Then outdrags you even with the van on the back.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

There is nothing wrong with any of that. Dude probably has fun.

I was saying it more in a positive admiring light.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

In more Nissan news a couple new models they showed at LA:

Sentra Nismo

Looks aside, seems decent on paper

240hp/240tq, 6 speed, 19" Rays, Brembos, a real LSD, Leather & Alcantara Recaros

Juke Nismo RS

Not many big changes from the original Nismo. Power is up to 215hp/210tq, same Recaro's from the Sentra. FWD model has a LSD now. Still no AWD w/ a manual.

What's the purpose of the red stripe on the steering wheel? I see that on a lot of performance cars. Is it just to give the driver something to quickly glance at to tell how far it's turned?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Augmented Dickey posted:

What's the purpose of the red stripe on the steering wheel? I see that on a lot of performance cars. Is it just to give the driver something to quickly glance at to tell how far it's turned?

It's so you know the wheel is top-dead center. Works great for both hard driving and for removable steering wheels.

Speaking of what NISMO is bringing out, you can't forget this:

:fap: :fap: :fap:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I've been checking out a lot about the 2014 C7 Corvette. I think it's a serious contender for me in less than a decade if I have enough cash to buy a used sports car. It looks like tons of fun and a decent daily driver as well. I could keep it up for a few years and then sell it for only a couple thousand less if I play it right.

It's gotten a lot of press in this thread too! People seem to like it, though its styling is polarizing. So much of the design is aerodynamically based though so there is not a ton that can be changed.

That Nissan Sentra Nismo up there ^ looks like a really nice budget sports car. I will definitely be in the market for one of those and I'll be giving it a serious look. Limited slip sounds great, the engine reads great on paper, and those seats look so comfy! Do you think it will have an automated manual for commuting in traffic?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 27, 2013

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
If anyone is interested in the 2015 WRX, Subaru has just released their digital brochure for it today: http://dbrochure.subaru.com/brochures/subaru.wrx.laas.2015/

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I wonder if the CVT is an option on the higher trim levels or if it's required. The CVT in the Forester XT is supposedly very good, at least. It's a no-go for me anyway without a wagon or hatch variant, which is a shame because a WRX hatch was my planned upgrade to my '06 2.5i wagon and I wanted to wait for the new platform.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looking at page 7 makes it seem like it's optional, even on the highest trim.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I wonder if the CVT is an option on the higher trim levels or if it's required. The CVT in the Forester XT is supposedly very good, at least. It's a no-go for me anyway without a wagon or hatch variant, which is a shame because a WRX hatch was my planned upgrade to my '06 2.5i wagon and I wanted to wait for the new platform.

It's optional in all of them, and the base models are manual-only. The last of the 2014s are coming out now, why not get one of those instead?

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

That Nissan Sentra Nismo up there ^ looks like a really nice budget sports car. I will definitely be in the market for one of those and I'll be giving it a serious look. Limited slip sounds great, the engine reads great on paper, and those seats look so comfy! Do you think it will have an automated manual for commuting in traffic?

The press release only mentions a manual transmission but it's listed as just a concept for now. It looks pretty much production ready as it follows the design of current Nismo vehicles and borrows the engine and a lot of interior bits from the Juke. The Juke Nismo offers a CVT with paddle shifters and "gears" so maybe the Sentra will as well when it hits production. I don't think Nissan offers anything likes a DSG in any vehicle, all their automatic stuff is CVT only or going that way. I've never driven the CVT version of the Juke but I heard it's not that bad.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The GTR has a DSG.

The S6-/V60 Polestars are coming. I think the S/V60s are pretty good looking cars inside and out.

quote:

The new Volvo S60 and V60 Polestar are here, set for sale on four continents around the world in 2014. The countries confirmed to take the S60 and V60 Polestar include Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the USA, with further markets, final production numbers and pricing to be revealed next year.P

Whilst the S60 and V60 Polestar will be available globally, Volvo Car UK will continue to deliver on the call for fast estates by limiting availability to the new V60 Polestar only.P

"We are proud to present the S60 and V60 Polestar. A car developed for those who share our passion at Polestar: That driving really matters and that a true driver's car should enable you to enjoy driving all year, on all roads and in all weather conditions. This is a driver's car for real life," said Christian Dahl, CEO of Polestar.P

"With the introduction of the V60 model, we are proud to continue the heritage of fast Volvo estates like the racing 850 BTCC, a tradition deeply rooted among Volvo enthusiasts," continued Christian Dahl, CEO of Polestar.P

World Debut For The New Volvo V60, Engineered By Polestar
SEXPAND
SEXPAND
SEXPAND
"Our motorsport co-operation with Polestar has been going on for almost two decades and it is rewarding to see how Polestar can use their experiences from motorsport to engineer such an exciting and competent car," said Derek Crabb, Motorsport Director at Volvo Car Group (Volvo Cars).P

"It is very satisfying to see how Polestar have been able to combine this level of driving performance in their interpretation of the S60 and V60 with maintained original service program, class leading safety features and certified fuel and emission ratings. Customers buying this car will get the best from both Polestar and Volvo," said Alain Visser, Senior Vice President Marketing, Sales & Customer Service at Volvo Cars.P

All-year performanceP

The car is based on the latest generation Volvo S/V60 and marks the start of an extended Polestar production model range. Development of the car has been ongoing over the past years, picking up from the C30 and S60 Concept cars and the Australian S60 Polestar. Thousands of development kilometres have been driven on twisty mountain roads, on the Autobahn and test tracks from the south of Europe to the frozen north of Sweden.P

"We have continued our work to create a true driver's car which is not limited only to a few specific driving conditions, but enjoyable on everything from your favourite winding roads to taking the family for a long journey, no matter summer or winter. And in my view, we have gotten very close to our goals, something that of course is best experienced first-hand behind the wheel," said Robert Dahlgren, Polestar racing and test driver.P

Polestar performance engineeringP

ChassisP

Upgrades include modifications made to increase rigidity of the chassis to cater for the 80% stiffer springs relative to the standard S60 R-Design. These changes combined with the tailored high performance Öhlins shock absorbers and 20" Polestar wheels results in a precise, yet comfortable, driving experience.P

BrakesP

The brake system has undergone substantial modifications. Most visible are the 371 millimetre ventilated front discs and six-piston Brembo calipers, guaranteeing a high level of braking performance.P

AerodynamicsP

To reflect the increased performance of the S60 and V60 Polestar, positive aerodynamic effects have been achieved through subtle, yet efficient, modifications based on data from tests in the Volvo Cars wind tunnel. The changes are visible with the front splitters, optimising the airflow underneath the car, as well as a new rear spoiler and diffusor, increasing downforce.P

EngineP

The six-cylinder turbo-charged T6 engine has undergone extensive development with a new twin-scroll turbo and intercooler to produce 350 HP/257 kW at 5700 rpm and 500 Nm/369 lb-ft at 2800 rpm. The engine breathes through a 2.5" stainless steel exhaust system, making for a throaty engine note.P

TransmissionP

The six-speed automatic gearbox features a new paddle shift system that together with the Polestar developed Haldex four-wheel drive system takes the car from 0-62 mph in just 4.9 seconds and to a limited top speed of 155 mph. The gearbox as well as the four-wheel drive system and traction control system has been recalibrated in order to provide an active driving experience and maximum grip in all situations.P

InteriorP

The interior has been reworked with new details, materials and Polestar colours, such as the steering wheel, seats and more, with the sole purpose of increasing driver support and control.P

"All in all we have taken a major step forward in all areas, from chassis and engine to interior and exterior details. Development work has been focused on the overall package in order to create a car that you want to use every day, both from a practical and emotional perspective," said Henrik Fries, S/V60 Polestar Technical Project Manager.P

Sales and deliveryP

Polestar will begin delivery of the new S60 and V60 Polestar in June 2014 to local markets.P

"We are all very excited and proud over our launch of two new cars as yet another step towards a range of Polestar Engineered Volvo cars available for people like us around the world. To do it together with Volvo, one of the world's leading car manufacturers, is greatly satisfying and we look forward to an exciting future," said Christian Dahl, CEO of Polestar.P

SEXPAND
SEXPAND
SEXPAND
Visit https://www.nextpolestar.com for more information.P

Technical SpecificationP

PerformanceP

0-62 mph 4.9 sec
0-124 mph 17.7 sec
Top speed 155 mph – Electronically limitedP

ChassisP

Polestar Öhlins shock absorber system
Polestar bespoke rims, 8x20" ET53 with 245/35R20 tyresP

EngineP

6-cylinder inline T6 engine, 2953 cc
350 hp @ 5700 rpm
500 Nm (369 lb-ft) @ 2800-4750 rpm
Max 6500 rpm
New twin-scroll Borg Warner turbo
New intercooler
Polestar 2.5" stainless full-flow exhaust system with twin 3.5" tail pipesP

WeightP

V60 Polestar: 1822 kgP

TransmissionP

AWF21 automatic gearbox with paddle shift system
Polestar transmission calibration for faster gearshifts, launch control and curve-hold functionality
Polestar Haldex calibration for more rear torque dynamic distribution
Polestar calibrated stability control systemP

BrakesP

Front: Polestar/Brembo 6 piston brake calipers
371x32 mm ventilated and floating Brembo discs
Rear: 302x22 mm ventilated discs P

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The GTR has a DSG.

The S6-/V60 Polestars are coming. I think the S/V60s are pretty good looking cars inside and out.

Has there been any mention of pricing on these yet? A high-powered AWD (although Haldex) wagon would look great in my garage, and if Audi isn't going to provide one, this might fit the bill.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

DropShadow posted:

Has there been any mention of pricing on these yet? A high-powered AWD (although Haldex) wagon would look great in my garage, and if Audi isn't going to provide one, this might fit the bill.

For what it's worth, the S60 Polestar has been on sale in Australia for a while now, and carries about a 40% premium over the S60 T6 R-Design. Australia cops a rogering when it comes to European cars, so it might be a bit closer for you guys

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tetrapyloctomy posted:

When the third gen WRX came out, wasn't it hatch only at first? With the sedan being introduced a year later?

I'd argue that the chances of them not doing a WRX hatch or equivalent in the next year or so are arguably pretty low.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

When the third gen WRX came out, wasn't it hatch only at first? With the sedan being introduced a year later?

I'd argue that the chances of them not doing a WRX hatch or equivalent in the next year or so are arguably pretty low.

The 2008 WRX came in sedan and hatchback. The '08 STI only came in hatchback, with the sedan being introduced for the '12 model year.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

goatse guy posted:

It's optional in all of them, and the base models are manual-only. The last of the 2014s are coming out now, why not get one of those instead?
I might grab one left over after the new models come out. I was looking forward to the new platform and engine, though.

Cream_Filling posted:

I was thinking that, too. My '06 is pretty low-mileage, so I might just hold out longer and hope for the best. The next car purchase arguably should be an auto, since my fiancée doesn't drive stick and isn't much interested in learning. My clutch might not survive it, so my friend taught her the basics in a parking lot ... on a CTS-V wagon. I admire his courage.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The 2008 WRX came in sedan and hatchback. The '08 STI only came in hatchback, with the sedan being introduced for the '12 model year.

2010 had the sedan. I had a 2011 sedan myself

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I might grab one left over after the new models come out. I was looking forward to the new platform and engine, though.

There's probably not going to be any new ones left over by the time the new models come out. The last of the 2014s are on their way to dealer lots rights now, and the 2015 is still a ways off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We actually have a Legacy with the CVT and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by it. We bought it strictly as an appliance vehicle (I have my bike for fun) but I have to admit, it does what it does pretty well.

The flappy paddles are completely gimmicky but just leaving it in drive works well.

That said, in a sports car instead of an econo sedan? I don't think so. Not unless it's worked over really well.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

slidebite posted:

We actually have a Legacy with the CVT and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by it. We bought it strictly as an appliance vehicle (I have my bike for fun) but I have to admit, it does what it does pretty well.

The flappy paddles are completely gimmicky but just leaving it in drive works well.

That said, in a sports car instead of an econo sedan? I don't think so. Not unless it's worked over really well.

Quite a few modern sports cars have flappy paddles (either on the wheel or built into the shifter), with an automated manual of some type, not necessarily a CVT. Apparently it helps to game the EPA numbers which avoids a significant gas guzzler tax and is attractive if you use it as a daily driver.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh my :fap:
I get manuals are dying but it still makes me sad. I'm interested in the V60s in general and plan to check them out next year. The fact that we are getting a new Volvo wagon here in the states at all is amazing, but getting the Polestars too? That's just amazing x2.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cream_Filling posted:

It's most likely called the Levorg and there wont be a WRX branded hatch / wagon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Michael Scott posted:

Quite a few modern sports cars have flappy paddles (either on the wheel or built into the shifter), with an automated manual of some type, not necessarily a CVT. Apparently it helps to game the EPA numbers which avoids a significant gas guzzler tax and is attractive if you use it as a daily driver.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring more to using the CVT in a sports car. I am sure it will be a far cry from the appliance transmission though.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I was thinking that, too. My '06 is pretty low-mileage, so I might just hold out longer and hope for the best. The next car purchase arguably should be an auto, since my fiancée doesn't drive stick and isn't much interested in learning. My clutch might not survive it, so my friend taught her the basics in a parking lot ... on a CTS-V wagon. I admire his courage.

I'm kind of ashamed to admit my girlfriend picked up driving a manual a lot quicker than me. I just explained the clutch and threw her in the driver seat and she didn't stall or misshift a single time and was doing hill stops and hill holds within 10 minutes. Welp there goes that stereotype.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I'm kind of ashamed to admit my girlfriend picked up driving a manual a lot quicker than me. I just explained the clutch and threw her in the driver seat and she didn't stall or misshift a single time and was doing hill stops and hill holds within 10 minutes. Welp there goes that stereotype.

Mine never stalled while learning either. However, she cannot figure out how gears work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A nice torquey engine can make it easier to learn to use a clutch, though. My tried-and-tested is an empty car park and an instruction to get from rest to top gear without touching the throttle, so you have to feel for the bite point and be smooth with it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

My tried-and-tested is an empty car park and an instruction to get from rest to top gear without touching the throttle, so you have to feel for the bite point and be smooth with it.

Yep. That is just what I did.. except for the torque-y bit. loving worn out B234R. :negative:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InitialDave posted:

A nice torquey engine can make it easier to learn to use a clutch, though. My tried-and-tested is an empty car park and an instruction to get from rest to top gear without touching the throttle, so you have to feel for the bite point and be smooth with it.
Wait, how does this accelerate the car enough to shift into 2nd, let alone the rest of the gears? My car only coasts 3-5mph in 1st gear.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Cage posted:

Wait, how does this accelerate the car enough to shift into 2nd, let alone the rest of the gears? My car only coasts 3-5mph in 1st gear.

At least when I teach people, its only for them to lean the engagement point. After they get that, then they get gas and can use more than 1st gear.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cage posted:

Unless you have an incredibly underpowered car or something is wrong with it you should be able to start out in 2nd without much difficulty, let alone go into it with ease when moving, even if only a few MPH.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sadi posted:

At least when I teach people, its only for them to lean the engagement point. After they get that, then they get gas and can use more than 1st gear.
That makes sense to me, its what I did when I was learning but it was just from N to 1st. InitialDave specifically said top gear though so I was just curious.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Unless you have an incredibly underpowered car or something is wrong with it you should be able to start out in 2nd without much difficulty, let alone go into it with ease when moving, even if only a few MPH.

With my old dodge, there were times i accidentally started out in 4th without trouble. :smug:

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

slidebite posted:

My 88 325is isn't exactly incredibly underpowered but it's a little rough to start in second from a stop and light throttle and probably impossible to do without throttle. But I know what you mean it's a lot easier to learn on something with a decent bit of low end torque available. I self taught myself manual this year by test driving random new cars and getting home 700 miles away was a little interesting when I realized I had no clue how to drive it. Pulled over at every rest stop and practiced a bit. Biggest learning curve was the goddamn foot long clutch throw, which I've now learned to love.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 30, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

That makes sense to me, its what I did when I was learning but it was just from N to 1st. InitialDave specifically said top gear though so I was just curious.
Bear in mind it's on the flat, with absolutely no intention of trying to go quickly - just let it pull itself along at idle, then be very gentle as you come off the clutch when changing up. Unless you have extremely high gearing, you should be able to work your way up the box just fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That depends a lot on the car - there is no way that'd work on some cars I've driven (diesel Renault Megane for instance)

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I taught my wife to drive manual in my S2000. She knows how and can drive it, but the lack of torque and short engagement band of the clutch mean that I've only been able to talk her into driving it like three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So there's a Kia Forte SX 5 door too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-kia-forte5-turbo-test-review

How is this thing over a second slower to 60 than a Civic Si with the same power?