Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

1997 posted:

EM297, EM380 are the articles for both display and Ethernet port cracking. I just tried searching for them on GSX but they don't appear. They may be Apple Retail Store only but you can definitely get these things fixed for free. There is also no end date for these that I can find. My usage of REP earlier was incorrect since these require the repair cost to be overridden at POS.

Thanks for the reference articles. I was beginning to think I was crazy. If it's something that has to be overridden, it really does sound like it's something that must be handled at a corporate store, which sounds a bit strange. I'll have to check with our Apple rep since as I said, I see this all the time and would really like to get the labor reimbursement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My magsafe adapter got some magnetic crap in it. How the gently caress do I get it out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tweezers

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple has been pretty good to me when I've taken good care of my power supplies and they've mysteriously crapped out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

averox posted:

Hey you folks quick question. Is there some known issue with either MacBooks of their chargers not working? I tried to reset the EMC to no avail and I don't have another adapter to test out whether or not mine is bad. The light on my charger never goes green or orange nor does it try to charge my 2010 MBA 13". I can't even use the thing right now because the battery is dead and the charger refuses to charge. I've had weird issues with this before but that was with a battery that was almost full and when I didn't need it as much.

I need to hit the Apple store when I get a chance but mostly I'm wondering if I'm going to have to cough out of my pocket to get this sort of this fixed. Pretty lovely because I've kept the laptop in great shape.

As fleshweasel says, the Fruit Stand will generally swap out power supplies, especially if it's a first-time visit and they see you've made an effort to keep the unit in good shape.

Power supplies tend to be the first thing that goes south on 2010 and later MBAs, followed by trackpads and to a much lesser degree, hinges. At least in my experience.

Seeing as you're approaching the end of AppleCare (assuming you bought it in the first place) get the battery tested and swapped out if necessary! I've been seeing a lot of 2010s incoming that have been 'consumed' lately.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 30, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're using a 2010-2012 MBA, this should convince you to upgrade.

Sitting at 50% charge, my 2013's battery is still going to last as long as my old one did from a full charge. You might not need it to last for one 14-hour session but it's so nice to be able to not have to worry about "poo poo, I forgot to plug my laptop in last night..."

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
My friend just got a 2013 Air and I think it's gorgeous. For the same price as a fully-specced air I could get a rMBP with roughly the same specs except it seems it'S a quad core instead of dual like the Air. I'm going to be using this laptop for a Computer Science master's, so lots of traveling and heavy computation. I guess the pro would be a better choice? Is portability terribly sacrificed on the new 13" rMBP? How's the integrated graphics card compared to the one on the air?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Everything is better except battery life. Portability is not a big sacrifice, the MBP's are still very slim. I would never, ever sacrifice the screen of the rMBP for the battery and portability of an air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Colonel J posted:

My friend just got a 2013 Air and I think it's gorgeous. For the same price as a fully-specced air I could get a rMBP with roughly the same specs except it seems it'S a quad core instead of dual like the Air. I'm going to be using this laptop for a Computer Science master's, so lots of traveling and heavy computation. I guess the pro would be a better choice? Is portability terribly sacrificed on the new 13" rMBP? How's the integrated graphics card compared to the one on the air?

The 13" Air and the 13" rMBP both have dual cores with hyper threading. Only the 15" rMBP has a quad-core CPU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

As fleshweasel says, the Fruit Stand will generally swap out power supplies, especially if it's a first-time visit and they see you've made an effort to keep the unit in good shape.

Despite what everyone had said on this topic, I found it to be very much not the case in an Australian Apple store (Chermside). After a lot of discussion they only gave us the normally-$125 brand new adapter for $100. It was very well looked after, clean, and had the signature fraying near the MagSafe end.

And yet the people beside us at the Genius Bar managed to score a brand new replacement iPhone because their old one chewed through all their 3G data downloading emails...

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

The 13" Air and the 13" rMBP both have dual cores with hyper threading. Only the 15" rMBP has a quad-core CPU

So at this point, between the top 13" air and pro, the difference comes down to battery/portability vs awesome screen?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Colonel J posted:

So at this point, between the top 13" air and pro, the difference comes down to battery/portability vs awesome screen?

Battery life isn't even that different.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Colonel J posted:

The air has a matte screen. I can't tell you how much I wish the retinas had one like it, especially if you stare at text more so than media.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

fookolt posted:

Battery life isn't even that different.

12 hours vs. 9 hours is pretty significant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Arstechnica says the battery life is practically the same if you're not doing intensive things. Up to 15 hours web browsing. But yeah if you crank up the brightness and use the processors it will go down to 7-9 hours.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

My PIN is 4826 posted:

On this, notice that there is no cut and paste for files. Better get used to unsafely dragging and dropping poo poo, or alternatively copying them and deleting the original when you're done :v:

In an amazing feat of inconsistency you are still allowed to cut text, however.

OSX file handling (finder) is unforgivingly bad. Try things that are simple on windows, such as merging folders (when updating a an old style cms for instance) and you'll be in a world of pain. I use http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/ to alleviate some of this, use console for the rest. But yes, the hardware is best in class, as mentioned.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Mu Zeta posted:

Arstechnica says the battery life is practically the same if you're not doing intensive things. Up to 15 hours web browsing. But yeah if you crank up the brightness and use the processors it will go down to 7-9 hours.

This is my experience as well owning (and long distance traveling with) both the 2013 MBA and rMBP 13. The difference really isn't as significant as it sounds.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Oh My Science posted:

The air has a matte screen. I can't tell you how much I wish the retinas had one like it, especially if you stare at text more so than media.

Wuh? All MacBook Airs have glossy displays, without exception. Also if reflections bother you, you want the Retina display over the Air display because one of the innovations in the rMBP displays (besides retina resolution) is fusing the cover glass to the LCD panel glass to reduce reflectivity. Also, if you stare at text you will love the sharpness of text at retina resolution. And the better viewing angles and contrast ratio, because it's an IPS panel instead of TN. (Apple uses an exceptionally high quality TN panel in the Air, but even a high quality TN still has horrible contrast and angle-dependent contrast/color shifts compared to any IPS display.)

Very weird to see someone say they wish the Retina display was more like the Air's for reading text.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Wuh? All MacBook Airs have glossy displays, without exception. Also if reflections bother you, you want the Retina display over the Air display because one of the innovations in the rMBP displays (besides retina resolution) is fusing the cover glass to the LCD panel glass to reduce reflectivity. Also, if you stare at text you will love the sharpness of text at retina resolution. And the better viewing angles and contrast ratio, because it's an IPS panel instead of TN. (Apple uses an exceptionally high quality TN panel in the Air, but even a high quality TN still has horrible contrast and angle-dependent contrast/color shifts compared to any IPS display.)

Very weird to see someone say they wish the Retina display was more like the Air's for reading text.

The Air isn't glossy - the Pro was. The Retina is somewhere in between. Definitely noticeable though.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon and I think I'm going to get the 13" rMBP with 16 gigs of ram and 256GB of space. I'll generally be using it for a) writing and b) statistical analyses (R) and programming (python mostly), with a focus on fMRI and neuroscience analyses (which are often ram and processor intensive). I was wondering the following:

1) Is apple care still generally considered a good deal? I can get it through apple education for about $183 (unless there's a better place to get it through)
2) I'm curious if either of the processor updates are gonna be worth it. The jump to i7 is a little too steep for me (unless it would be significantly better, which from reading here it doesn't sound like it would be), but would $90 be worth the jump from 2.4ghz to 2.6? Or if processor power is important should I opt for the MBA with an i7 (relatively comparable prices)?

Right now I'm leaning yes on applecare and no on processor upgrade, which would bring it to $1,762 before tax on apple's education store, which still feels like a lot but I really need a new laptop and it sounds like the retina screens are really really nice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AppleCare is sorta up to the individual's willingness to attempt repairs and also depends on the Mac being purchased, but at education pricing I think it's a no-brainer.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Neurostorm posted:

Right now I'm leaning yes on applecare and no on processor upgrade, which would bring it to $1,762 before tax on apple's education store, which still feels like a lot but I really need a new laptop and it sounds like the retina screens are really really nice.

Go to an Apple retailer and take a look for yourself.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, AppleCare pays for itself, especially with laptops that take much more punishment than a desk-bound machine. Also add to the fact that Apple has been steadily modularizing their parts on laptops and taking stringent steps to make it difficult / expensive to secure parts if you are not a Fruit Store or AASP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The i7 is a 20% boost unlike pre-Haswell when it was only a 10% boost - well worth it especially when you've already upgraded to 16GB

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Born Approx. posted:

My dad has a 2007 era Mac mini running 10.6.8 and an airport express that's a few years old; I don't know the version of the top of my head but when I was fiddling with it the other night I think i saw it supports 802.11n. Anyway, he wants to use his airport express to stream iTunes over airplay. The thing is, wireless has a hard time propagating through his house, and the airport cuts out a lot. So, he wants to wire it to the Mac mini via Ethernet. Problem is, when I try to set it up that way in the airport utility, it can't join the network or connect to the computer. It seems like this should be possible, and I vaguely remember setting it up for him like that before; but the apple support site seems to imply that the express can only be networked via Ethernet to an AirPort Extreme or other router. Anyone have any insight?

Alternatively, are there any settings I can change on either the (netgear) router or airport express (or iTunes, for that matter) that would make airplay less prone to dropping the signal?
What's the current setup exactly, like what's connected to what and by what means? Like is it modem (wired) Netgear (wifi) AirPort (wifi) Mac or something else, and is the Netgear router wired only or wireless? Wild guess is that your issue is router/NAT mode vs bridge mode since it's usually that when dealing with multiple routers, but it could be something else depending on how your network is set up.

As for just improving wireless, off the top of my head try out different channels, max out transmitter power, and reduce multicast rate (or whatever it's called, there's a drop down with 2-5-11Mbps and so on).

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

The Air isn't glossy - the Pro was. The Retina is somewhere in between. Definitely noticeable though.

The airs are glossy. They aren't as super reflective as the glossy pros, but put them next to a matte pro and the difference is obvious.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Gah choosing between the Air and rMBP is a pain. They both look very similar on paper and I fear so much making the wrong choice. I do a bunch of coding and playing modern games so I guess I'm gonna go for the pro.

Anyone know what this "turbo boost" thing really is? Cause they both have the same clock speed when you factor the "turbo boost" but I'm wondering if it's just a gimmick.

Maladictus
Feb 22, 2013

Colonel J posted:

Gah choosing between the Air and rMBP is a pain. They both look very similar on paper and I fear so much making the wrong choice. I do a bunch of coding and playing modern games so I guess I'm gonna go for the pro.

Anyone know what this "turbo boost" thing really is? Cause they both have the same clock speed when you factor the "turbo boost" but I'm wondering if it's just a gimmick.

Turbo boost is an Intel technology that allows the chip to overclock itself if there is sufficient thermal headroom to do so. For example a single threaded calculation which doesn't use the graphics portion of the processor, allows the unused cores and most of the graphics chip to be powered down, and their budgeted heat generation to be used to overclock the active core resulting in it exceeding its usual thermal tolerances. With the Air and the rMBP, the Air has a lower TDP chip than the rMBP, which means that when the chip turbo boosts, it can do so more readily and for longer in the rMBP. Hopefully that clears things up somewhat for you.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Maladictus posted:

Turbo boost is an Intel technology that allows the chip to overclock itself if there is sufficient thermal headroom to do so. For example a single threaded calculation which doesn't use the graphics portion of the processor, allows the unused cores and most of the graphics chip to be powered down, and their budgeted heat generation to be used to overclock the active core resulting in it exceeding its usual thermal tolerances. With the Air and the rMBP, the Air has a lower TDP chip than the rMBP, which means that when the chip turbo boosts, it can do so more readily and for longer in the rMBP. Hopefully that clears things up somewhat for you.

So it basically becomes meaningless when you start doing heavy computation things which require the graphics chip, is what I'm getting from that? It basically acts as 3.3 GHz as long as you don't really need much power?

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007

Neurostorm posted:

I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon and I think I'm going to get the 13" rMBP with 16 gigs of ram and 256GB of space. I'll generally be using it for a) writing and b) statistical analyses (R) and programming (python mostly), with a focus on fMRI and neuroscience analyses (which are often ram and processor intensive). I was wondering the following:

1) Is apple care still generally considered a good deal? I can get it through apple education for about $183 (unless there's a better place to get it through)
2) I'm curious if either of the processor updates are gonna be worth it. The jump to i7 is a little too steep for me (unless it would be significantly better, which from reading here it doesn't sound like it would be), but would $90 be worth the jump from 2.4ghz to 2.6? Or if processor power is important should I opt for the MBA with an i7 (relatively comparable prices)?

I just bought AppleCare for a 13" rMBP from B&H Photo for 167.38. They're an Apple Authorized Reseller, so it's not a scam. They sell it for 176.19 usually and are currently offering 5% off if you buy it using Google Wallet via their app in the Google Play store. It's also supposed to work via their mobile site as well.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The CPU has a "power budget" and Turbo Boost is logic inside it to automatically allocate that budget to the part of the CPU that is being used the most. For example, if you have four cores and only one of them is in use, the Turbo Boost logic will dedicate all of that power budget to that single core, making it faster. If you're using two of the cores, Turbo Boost will dedicate all of the power to those two, but now instead of one core getting all of the power, two cores are getting half of the power, making them faster than normal but not quite as fast as the one core was when it was the only one in use.

The GPU acts as if it was one of those cores. The power budget is enough to run each core at the listed base clock speed, but if you're not actually using every core and the GPU all at once, some of that power budget will be moved around to improve performance of the parts you are using.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

The airs are glossy. They aren't as super reflective as the glossy pros, but put them next to a matte pro and the difference is obvious.

Right, it's not matte but it's not quite as glossy as the Pros

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Right, it's not matte but it's not quite as glossy as the Pros

And the Retina Pro is not as glossy as the non-Retina Pro you posted a pic of.

Basically every time you stack panes of glass you get more / more intense reflections, but by bonding panes together with an optically clear adhesive you make them behave more like one thicker pane. All LCDs have at least one pane of glass forming the front of the display. Glossy MBPs (retina or non, basically everything that has the black glass bezel) have an additional sheet of cover glass, but in the retina models it's bonded to the LCD glass to reduce reflections.

I need to walk back one thing though, I think I implied the rMBP display might be less reflective than the Air. I was forgetting that the Air display has no cover glass in the first place (and neither do the old matte MBPs). So the rMBP display should be in the same zone as the Air, and both are less reflective than glossy non retina MBP displays.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Colonel J posted:

So it basically becomes meaningless when you start doing heavy computation things which require the graphics chip, is what I'm getting from that? It basically acts as 3.3 GHz as long as you don't really need much power?

What Ninja Rope said about power budgets, and: you should bear in mind that the chip in the Air has only a 15 watt power budget to work with, while the one in the rMBP 13 has a 28 watt budget. The two chips are almost identical physically, but nearly 2x the power budget permits the rMBP's graphics and CPU cores to run much closer to top frequency while under demanding loads.

This is why the rMBP's i7 CPU is rated for 2.8 GHz minimum and the Air's i7 only 1.7 GHz minimum. If you run a game on the Air it will often need throttle the CPU all the way back to 1.7, just in order to free up enough of the 15W power budget to run the graphics processor near its max frequency. Do the same on the rMBP, and it will never throttle the CPUs below 2.8.

If you're using just the CPU and just a single thread, the Air should perform about the same as the rMBP, because that's when both will easily be able to keep a single CPU core at 3.3 GHz. Add more threads and/or use 3D graphics at the same time, and you should start to see the rMBP pull ahead. Under very heavy loads it should be much faster.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just pulled my old early '09 17" from the attic and installed Mavericks on it.
There’s something about the form factor and display that just feels so right to me in direct comparison to a current 15" rMBP and a 13" MBA.
I don’t know if it’s the fully matte display or the extra screen size or the thinner silver bezel or the fact that the UI sizes with the scaled HiDPI resolutons on the 15" rMBP are kind of in an awkward place for my preferences.

Of course it is ridiculously heavy but then again the battery has 12000 mah (after 705 cycles no less, my old MBA died completely after 500 cycles).
Revisiting this old machine makes me want a 17" Macbook Air, as dumb as it sounds. High quality 17" 1920x1200 panel, large battery, IGPU only, matte silver bezel screen.

With regards to reflections, the glossy Macbook Pro is truly terrible, the rMBP and MBA are both acceptable and the matte MBP is perfect. The rMBP display seems to reflect slightly less than the MBA. I can take some comparison pictures of all of them if anybody is interested.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
We probably would have paid $500 to $1,000 more to get an anti-glare/matte display on the Retina MBPs that we purchased at work. I just don't understand why it isn't an option.

It kills some of the portability if we now have to worry about the surrounding lighting before we use the system. We already had one guy here mess with the blinds on a window to try and reduce the glare on his new Retina MBP.

It sucks going from 6+ years of antiglare displays (a HUGE benefit when switching from CRT to LCD) back to a screen that I can use as a mirror any time I want to check my hair.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

We probably would have paid $500 to $1,000 more to get an anti-glare/matte display on the Retina MBPs that we purchased at work. I just don't understand why it isn't an option.

It kills some of the portability if we now have to worry about the surrounding lighting before we use the system. We already had one guy here mess with the blinds on a window to try and reduce the glare on his new Retina MBP.

It sucks going from 6+ years of antiglare displays (a HUGE benefit when switching from CRT to LCD) back to a screen that I can use as a mirror any time I want to check my hair.

I'm guessing the high resolution of the Retina display looks terrible under the matte finish.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there an inherent drop in color quality with a matte finish? I'm guessing any kind of coating you do yourself will be much uglier than how it would be if apple did it the right way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Is there an inherent drop in color quality with a matte finish? I'm guessing any kind of coating you do yourself will be much uglier than how it would be if apple did it the right way.

The glossy screen makes the colors 'pop'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What is the consensus on the new 802.11ac Time Machine? I ordered the 2TB model, but I was pointed out that its better to buy a more powerful router that has USB 3.0 storage, and an external hard disk. Any opinions?