Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LeafyOrb posted:

"I'm snooping through someone else's email better read out loud so everyone can hear me."

Really show? Who does this?

My mother always reads her emails out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jedit posted:

I can't recall if it's this week or next, but Aunt Marie's Book of Lore is about to be published. That should settle any lingering arguments about how to spell "schlaffenjaeger".

Do you have any information about it? I would love it, if it was in the same style as the one on the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oasx posted:

Do you have any information about it? I would love it, if it was in the same style as the one on the show.

It's a Titan glossy. Recreations of some of the original German, Spanish and Japanese articles from the books with English translations and photos from the show to accompany the drawings in the book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grimm-Aunt-Maries-Book-Lore/dp/1781166536

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I wonder how many episodes it will take before there's something from the show that isn't in the book they're selling. I'll give it...4.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Oasx posted:

I got the impression that they had to submerge themselves in water at least once a day or so. It did seem very cold to just leave the girls to die, but i am not sure how they could explain the way their need to be near water, they certainly need to do something about it with the two Naiad killers, so they don't just die in prison.

There are no bathtubs in the prison? Would a shower work? How about a deep sink? I guess no water in prison.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Astrofig posted:

Dumb question, but what is a Rusalka?

I didn't notice this. If you didn't google it by now, here's an explanation. And it's not a dumb question. There are a lot of fairy tales/myths and legends around the world that people aren't familiar with, which is one thing that should be pretty cool on Grimm, since they've already introduced at least one myth that I'm not familiar with. I love learning about folklore but there is a lot out there that I have never heard of. The only reason I know what a rusalka is is because CJ Cherryh did a series based on slavic myths, the first book of which was "Rusalka". I've since then seen other mentions of them in other fantasy series.

Wikipedia posted:

n most versions, the rusalka is an unquiet dead being, associated with the "unclean force". According to Zelenin,[1] people who die violently and before their time, such as young women who commit suicide because they have been jilted by their lovers, or unmarried women who are pregnant, must live out their designated time on earth as a spirit.

The ghostly version is the soul of a young woman who had died in or near a river or a lake and came back to haunt that waterway. This undead rusalka is not invariably malevolent, and will be allowed to die in peace if her death is avenged.

Rusalki can also come from unbaptized children, often those who were born out of wedlock and drowned by their mothers for that reason. Baby rusalki supposedly wander the forest begging to be baptised so that they can have peace. They are not necessarily innocent, however, and can attack a human foolish enough to approach them.

At least, that's what I think of them as.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 22, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Dude. Those would make a kick-rear end Halloween episode!

Though I kind of wonder if that was what they were going for with the La Llorona one, what with the ghostly drowned woman....

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
No episode tonight, because NPC is airing a special on the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. They probably aren't going to mention the most important fact too: Kennedy was a Ziegevolk, which might have been one motive for the assassination.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Dude. Those would make a kick-rear end Halloween episode!

Though I kind of wonder if that was what they were going for with the La Llorona one, what with the ghostly drowned woman....

La Llorona is an actual legend in Mexico South America, iirc. I googled it after the episode, 'cause I'm a great big nerd.

quote:

Although several variations exist, the basic story tells of a beautiful woman by the name of Maria who drowns her children in order to be with the man that she loved. The man would not have her, which devastated her. She would not take no for an answer, so she drowned herself in a river in Mexico City. Challenged at the gates of heaven as to the whereabouts of her children, she is not permitted to enter the afterlife until she has found them. Maria is forced to wander the Earth for all eternity, searching in vain for her drowned offspring, with her constant weeping giving her the name "La Llorona." She is trapped in between the living world and the spirit world.

She gets to the pearly gates and when asked where her children are she's all, "Well poo poo, I just had them. Now where were they...," while patting down her pockets and searching through her purse.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 23, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in season 2 right now. Is the grimm main character guy, supposed to be particularly strong? he's really weedy and My Immersion is sort of ruined since he's going toe-to-toe with wolf guys and winning. Is it supposed to be a super-grimm-strength? or what?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

redreader posted:

I'm in season 2 right now. Is the grimm main character guy, supposed to be particularly strong? he's really weedy and My Immersion is sort of ruined since he's going toe-to-toe with wolf guys and winning. Is it supposed to be a super-grimm-strength? or what?

Yeah, it's commonly accepted that Grimms have augmented strength when going up against Wesen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Astrofig posted:

Yeah, it's commonly accepted that Grimms have augmented strength when going up against Wesen.

Take a look at Aunt Marie in the second episode - she was quite literally on her deathbed from cancer, and still had the strength to take down an assassin going for her.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Don't forget that the "El Cucuy" episode airs tonight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Good point, I'll ask for this to be stickied.

3x05 – “El Cucuy”
Nick investigates a vigilante murderer who is trying to clean up the streets in a rough neighborhood.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yaaay he's actually explaining poo poo to her and not kicking off a long 'OMG UR CHEATING YOU BASTARD IM NOT GOING TO LET YOU EXPLAIN IM MAD AT YOU!!!' !!

Altho what's with the second heartbeat on the ultrasound? Hexenbiests have two hearts maybe?

Oh. So El Cucuy is like feminist Batman in beast-form.

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 30, 2013

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Lesson the first, don't snatch purses from little old ladies. They will straight-up rip your loving throat out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Astrofig posted:

Yaaay he's actually explaining poo poo to her and not kicking off a long 'OMG UR CHEATING YOU BASTARD IM NOT GOING TO LET YOU EXPLAIN IM MAD AT YOU!!!' !!

Yeah, that was great that they dealt with the mysterious e-mail without any bullshit drama.

"Are you kidding me?"
:allears:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Of all the various female characters on the shows that I watch, Juliette is one of the few that I'd like to be in a relationship with in real life. Katee Sackoff is/was really hot as Starbuck on BSG, but the character was a basket case from whom anyone sane would flee.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I really loved tonights episode. Just the sweetest old lady standing there and her hands are just drenched solid red with blood was amazing. The gang passing around violent crime scene photos while joking around and eating artichokes and wine was such a Grimm moment. The expressions on Nick, Hank and Renard at the end were gold. Hank especially looks totally freaked out! The episode with the blue aliens where they just let them go was dumb, but here letting her go was great because of the underlying threat she represented. I really found this episode to be sort of the fun Grimm episodes I really enjoy. Definitely my favorite from this season.

quote:

feminist Batman in beast-form

Nope just a sweet Grandma who killed batman in beast form in about 2 seconds in front of his dogs.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 30, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I missed the last half of the episode because of family stuff. Thank God for NBC.com; sounds like tonight's was really worth seeing!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That nice old lady was proper freaky at the end there, great episode.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I wasn't a big fan of this episode. If that had been anyone other than a little old lady Nick would have given her the "I might not be able to do something as a cop, but I can as a Grimm!" speech. Yeah, she was preying on bad guys but she's still a murderer who drops mutilated bodies all around town.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

I wasn't a big fan of this episode. If that had been anyone other than a little old lady Nick would have given her the "I might not be able to do something as a cop, but I can as a Grimm!" speech. Yeah, she was preying on bad guys but she's still a murderer who drops mutilated bodies all around town.

But she was a little old lady so he was stuck. I saw this episode as kind of the flip side to the previous episode featuring the Naiads. In that episode Nick and Hank used the fact that the Naiads would die without water against them to leverage information. In this episode El Cucuy used the fact that people wouldn't believe a "little old lady" could have done what was done to leverage her freedom.

While it's true that Nick, Hank and Renard could have probably faked evidence or just murdered her in jail, none of them were able to do that to a person who was, in the end, doing no much more than they do every week. She was taking out bad people just like they do. While the three of them are cops, they've had to take some level of vigilante action.

BTW, is it wrong that I felt a little bit of satisfaction when the taunting Marine guy got his rear end stomped?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

johntfs posted:

BTW, is it wrong that I felt a little bit of satisfaction when the taunting Marine guy got his rear end stomped?
He is as much a victim of untreated mental illness as those he taunted. :smith:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Accretionist posted:

He is as much a victim of untreated mental illness as those he taunted. :smith:

Yeah, I definitely felt sorry for him. He seemed more like the 'broken' ex-military type and less of a macho rear end in a top hat.

Great episode.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

TheChad posted:

Yeah, I definitely felt sorry for him. He seemed more like the 'broken' ex-military type and less of a macho rear end in a top hat.

Great episode.

I liked the flow of the episode. It sets the guy up as a suspect for being the vigilante and makes him a smug, taunting pain in the rear end. Then he gets a somewhat satisfying kicking. And only then do they fully reveal that the poor guy has untreated PTSD and is basically a hero, which makes you feel like an utter poo poo for being a little happy about the rear end-kicking he got. Well-played, show, well-played.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

johntfs posted:

While it's true that Nick, Hank and Renard could have probably faked evidence or just murdered her in jail, none of them were able to do that to a person who was, in the end, doing no much more than they do every week.

Yeah they had nothing in terms of evidence and the underlying implication of what she says at the end is that she would not go willingly to jail. Based how strong she was in the episode its unknown if even all three of them would stand much of a chance. She is a wesen of some kind because she recognizes Nick as a Grimm, but its unknown what kind she is.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

johntfs posted:

While it's true that Nick, Hank and Renard could have probably faked evidence or just murdered her in jail, none of them were able to do that to a person who was, in the end, doing no much more than they do every week. She was taking out bad people just like they do. While the three of them are cops, they've had to take some level of vigilante action.

There is a lot of difference between what she was doing and what they do every week. Nick doesn't run around town leaving mutilated corpses of people committing crimes. Stealing an old lady's purse, however much of a dick move, doesn't mean you deserve your throat ripped out. Nick and the gang always try to bring people in alive, this lady just murders them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

There is a lot of difference between what she was doing and what they do every week. Nick doesn't run around town leaving mutilated corpses of people committing crimes. Stealing an old lady's purse, however much of a dick move, doesn't mean you deserve your throat ripped out. Nick and the gang always try to bring people in alive, this lady just murders them.

Well, that's all true. However, when you get right down do it, the only way to stop her is for them to murder her. Legally there's no way they can prove it was her. Aside from which, she was done in Portland (for now), so it was just easier to let her go be some other bad guys' problem.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

johntfs posted:

Well, that's all true. However, when you get right down do it, the only way to stop her is for them to murder her. Legally there's no way they can prove it was her. Aside from which, she was done in Portland (for now), so it was just easier to let her go be some other bad guys' problem.

I don't disagree that they were in a tough spot. However I expected some form of the, "I can't do anything as a cop, but as a Grimm you better watch yo'self!" Anything other than looking dazed and walking away. If this was some big brute of a dude instead of a little old lady, do you think he would have just let him waltz away with nothing? This lady is going to keep on murdering, humans and wessen alike, he's kind of a crappy Grimm for just letting her walk away.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

I don't disagree that they were in a tough spot. However I expected some form of the, "I can't do anything as a cop, but as a Grimm you better watch yo'self!" Anything other than looking dazed and walking away. If this was some big brute of a dude instead of a little old lady, do you think he would have just let him waltz away with nothing? This lady is going to keep on murdering, humans and wessen alike, he's kind of a crappy Grimm for just letting her walk away.

All of that is also true. The big brute guy offers options that the little old lady does not offer. "He jumped us so we shot him" sounds a lot more plausible when the perp is 350# tatted up gangbanger than if it's Mrs. Garcia. Besides, Juliette has a point that El Cucuy might not be Wesen so bullets might not work on her (maybe the thing is some debased god of justice ala Supernatural). Beyond even that, it's clear that El Cucuy responds to a summoning based in need. If they kill El Cucuy, perhaps that need might call in something even worse.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

KilGrey posted:

There is a lot of difference between what she was doing and what they do every week. Nick doesn't run around town leaving mutilated corpses of people committing crimes.

I don't know, Nick has left quite a few corpses about town these last three seasons; sometimes several at once. Granted, they're usually actively trying to kill him...

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Monroe's joke about the Egyptian wessen was hilarious - just put a Pharaoh in with him and he'll stay forever!

He told it better. :sigh:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Monroe's joke about the Egyptian wessen was hilarious - just put a Pharaoh in with him and he'll stay forever!

He told it better. :sigh:

That's because you didn't add the snort at the end of yours.
That was a loving hilarious line. Everyone else just kind of staring at him while he snorts and continues eating.

There's supposed to be an episode this season where Monroe's parents, traditional blutbads, come to visit. I can't wait!

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 2, 2013

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010
This was one of the worst Grimm episodes I've seen in some time. I understand El Cucuy is hispanic folklore, but why was every victim Hispanic ? The kid at the gas station in the beginning, the two robbers who from what I understood didn't even speak English, and the woman who got attacked after getting off the bus. All of this in Portland ? It doesn't make sense to me. I figured this episode was taking place in Mexico or some South American country up until Nick and Hank strolled up to the crime scene. Other than the fact that they wanted to drive home the point this was a Hispanic wessen, I don't understand why they did this.

This episode was all over the place for me. I don't understand the marines presence in the episode. I thought he had some ulterior motive or was a secret Grimm but it turns out he's just got PTSD and this is how he deals with it; by harassing police officers. To just have him come and go in one episode makes it hard to really feel for the character.

Them letting the old lady go was absolutely ridiculous. Apparently purse snatching is a valid excuse to go rip the guys throat out. They could have amended it where they made sure she would never do it again somehow.

Hopefully the show can get back to normal next week.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I wanted this episode to end with Nick writing an entry (has he ever done that? added to the encylopedia) and Juliet over his shoulder with "Not el. la"

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Uh, there are Hispanics in Portland, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Additionally, the guy with the dogs was white.

Too many minorities in my TV show is a really weird thing to be upset about.

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I wanted this episode to end with Nick writing an entry (has he ever done that? added to the encylopedia) and Juliet over his shoulder with "Not el. la"

He has made an entry, I just don't remember what wessen it was he added.

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Uh, there are Hispanics in Portland, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Additionally, the guy with the dogs was white.

Too many minorities in my TV show is a really weird thing to be upset about.

He has made an entry, I just don't remember what wessen it was he added.

I would agree with you if this wasn't the first time it happened, and in the precincts district that we've seen for 2+ years. I'm not complaining about minorities being in the show it's just strange that almost all of the victims were Hispanic.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
When I watched the episode I didn't just see a purse snatching. It looked to me like the guy was on top of her and I immediately jumped to attempted rape. Maybe the viewers and Nick were also supposed to jump to that conclusion? If that's the case then she really is about the same as Nick. Either way I don't think the summoning connection is supposed to be as important as the fine line between what she's doing and what Nick is doing. Even without the fact that she's a little old lady, you have to ask why he should care about her at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Leviathan Song posted:

When I watched the episode I didn't just see a purse snatching. It looked to me like the guy was on top of her and I immediately jumped to attempted rape. Maybe the viewers and Nick were also supposed to jump to that conclusion? If that's the case then she really is about the same as Nick. Either way I don't think the summoning connection is supposed to be as important as the fine line between what she's doing and what Nick is doing. Even without the fact that she's a little old lady, you have to ask why he should care about her at this point.

Talking about the last/near last shot where the dude steals the purse from old lady/Cucuy, not that one.

• Locked thread