Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Unfortunately Amazon.ca is fairly poo poo and doesn't carry it. I have ordered from US amazon before, but it lists sodium citrate as an add-on item so I'd have to order $25 worth of other stuff first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bummer. Willpowder is the brand I use. But when I bought mine there was no such thing as add on items.

edit: Oddly enough, they have Willpoder for $15.00 as an add on item, and also the same thing for $15.08 Prime eligible. http://www.amazon.com/WillPowder-Calcium-Chloride-16-Ounce-Jars/dp/B00250TODW/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
8 cents goes a long way

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm transporting a couple gallons of homemade ice cream to Thanksgiving this year. It's about 2hrs away.

Will a thermal bag + ice packs be enough for this duration of a trip, or should I plan for something more elaborate like additional insulation or dry ice?

Hoping to avoid dry ice on this one if possible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Walked posted:

I'm transporting a couple gallons of homemade ice cream to Thanksgiving this year. It's about 2hrs away.

Will a thermal bag + ice packs be enough for this duration of a trip, or should I plan for something more elaborate like additional insulation or dry ice?

Hoping to avoid dry ice on this one if possible.

If you're avoiding dry ice because of cost, sure. If not it's great to use and doesn't make as much of a mess.

Thermal bag + ice packs should be good especially if you've got it in the trunk and its cold outside.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Breaky posted:

If you're avoiding dry ice because of cost, sure. If not it's great to use and doesn't make as much of a mess.

Thermal bag + ice packs should be good especially if you've got it in the trunk and its cold outside.

I'm avoiding dry ice because I'm in the middle of the city with all my shopping for Thanksgiving totally wrapped up and really really trying to avoid going out just for dry ice if I can avoid it.

If I find another reason to head out, I may pick some up. Otherwise plenty of ice packs it is.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am making a skillet cornbread tonight that calls for lard as the cooking fat. If I am unable to find lard, what is a good substitute?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I am making a skillet cornbread tonight that calls for lard as the cooking fat. If I am unable to find lard, what is a good substitute?

Bacon fat, clarified butter, tallow, schmaltz

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Shortening, Vegetable Oil or Butter, I would go with shortening, but you could probably find lard near, beside the Crisco.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Bacon fat, clarified butter, tallow, schmaltz

or this

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mini tidbit: butter doesn't sub 1:1 for lard because it contains water. Hence clarified.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Shortening, Vegetable Oil or Butter, I would go with shortening, but you could probably find lard near, beside the Crisco.

Schmaltz, tallow, etc..

Gotya, thats what I thought. I was going to do half/half butter and shortening instead if we cannot find the lard. Wegmans claims that it carries this stuff. We shall see, although bacon fat or schmaltz would be great, but maybe too overpowering? I'm using this cornbread for savory stuffing anyways.

Thanks!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm looking for a chiles rellenos risotto recipe. I wanna make risotto cupcakes for dinner tomorrow but I can't figure out a good recipe. I'm thinking:

Risotto, chiles, greek yogurt, cheddar, egg, rice flour, cilantro, and green onion with a cheddar and relleno crust on top.

Also, what's a good reduction to include with a coriander/cumin chicken recipe? I was thinking Mexican oregano, white wine, chicken broth, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, shallots, and butter.

Thoughts? I suck at Thanksgiving. :saddowns:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Mini tidbit: butter doesn't sub 1:1 for lard because it contains water. Hence clarified.

Yeah forgot about that, but yeah I just use shortening as a replacement for Lard and it seems to do the job fine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I made duck breast for Thanksgiving and am planning on doing duck confit with the legs and the fat. I'm using this recipe:

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/blog/recipe-sous-vide/sous-vide-confit-of-duck-leg/

Here's the problem, or question really. Tomorrow at 10 am it will have been 36 hours of the legs curing in the salt mixture. I'm working from 7-3 tomorrow. So I have two options:

1) Rinse them off in the morning around 6 am and put in the sous vide bags and start cooking so it's ready around 5 pm tomorrow.
2) Wait until I get home, then rinse off, put in sous vide bags, and wait until the next day to cook.

1 should work fine, but in case I can't get to it for whatever reason in the morning. Will the cured legs be ok staying in the fridge overnight? Should I let them cure another 24 hours or rinse them off first?

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I want to make spicy crispy chicken wings, ideally something like these (irgnore the sauce), but we don't have a deep-fryer. Any tips/experience crispifying chicken wings with an oven, or maybe shallow-frying? Can/should I still cook them in stock before oven-baking?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

plasmoduck posted:

I want to make spicy crispy chicken wings, ideally something like these (irgnore the sauce), but we don't have a deep-fryer. Any tips/experience crispifying chicken wings with an oven, or maybe shallow-frying? Can/should I still cook them in stock before oven-baking?

Steam them, then crisp in the oven.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, overall dinner did great. Turkey was amazing, and I will be spatchcocking it again from now on.

My pumpkin pies, per always, turned out great. My experimental pecan pie (which I have never made before) tasted wonderful but was so syrupy in the middle.

This is the recipe, I followed it as written. Can someone tell me what I did wrong to make it so syrupy in the center? I left it in the oven for an hour, maybe it needed longer. It didn't jiggle much when I shook it, so I am a little at a loss.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/4912-old-fashioned-pecan-pie

Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
From Cook's Country | October/November 2009

Why this recipe works:

The overly sweet, artificial-tasting pecan pies of today bare little resemblance to their 19th-century inspiration. Could we recreate a traditional pecan pie without using modern day, processed corn syrup?

We tried a host of traditional syrups (cane, sorghum) to replicate the flavors in a traditional pecan pie. While many produced great pies, we couldn't find them at our local supermarket and had to mail away for them. After exhaustive testing, we discovered that combining maple syrup with brown sugar and molasses replicated the old-fashioned pies almost as well as the mail-ordered syrups, and certainly much better than corn syrup ever could.

To ensure the bottom crust was crisp and golden brown, we started the pie at a high temperature and then dropped it down to finish cooking. Our crust was perfect, but the filling left something to be desired. A last-minute addition of cream yielded a welcome custardy transformation to the filling. This also made the filling looser; a problem easily solved by adding extra egg yolks.

To finish off our Pecan Pie recipe, we found toasting the nuts before they went into the pie gave them enough crunch and flavor to hold their own in the filling.

Serves 8 to 10

Regular or mild molasses tastes best in this pie. Use your favorite pie dough or our Single Crust Pie Dough recipe.
Ingredients

1 cup maple syrup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon molasses
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon Salt
6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups toasted and chopped pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (see note), chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes

Instructions

1. Make Filling: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.

2. Bake Pie: Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

So I made duck breast for Thanksgiving and am planning on doing duck confit with the legs and the fat. I'm using this recipe:

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/blog/recipe-sous-vide/sous-vide-confit-of-duck-leg/

Here's the problem, or question really. Tomorrow at 10 am it will have been 36 hours of the legs curing in the salt mixture. I'm working from 7-3 tomorrow. So I have two options:

1) Rinse them off in the morning around 6 am and put in the sous vide bags and start cooking so it's ready around 5 pm tomorrow.
2) Wait until I get home, then rinse off, put in sous vide bags, and wait until the next day to cook.

1 should work fine, but in case I can't get to it for whatever reason in the morning. Will the cured legs be ok staying in the fridge overnight? Should I let them cure another 24 hours or rinse them off first?

In addition to this, what goes well with duck confit? Trying to think of things I need to pick up on the way home tomorrow.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

In addition to this, what goes well with duck confit? Trying to think of things I need to pick up on the way home tomorrow.
Pommes persillade and some bitter greens with a simple vinaigrette, some crusty bread on the side.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Disco Salmon posted:

This is the recipe, I followed it as written. Can someone tell me what I did wrong to make it so syrupy in the center? I left it in the oven for an hour, maybe it needed longer. It didn't jiggle much when I shook it, so I am a little at a loss.

Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Did you do this part? Because your post in the pie or die thread leads me to believe that you took it out of the oven and dug in. If so, that is your problem!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a party coming up next thursday that I want to make some candied bacon for. Problem is that I've got a concert the night before and will be pretty slammed at work most of the week. If I make it on sunday/monday, will it keep till thursday? Will it taste good if stored that long?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

Did you do this part? Because your post in the pie or die thread leads me to believe that you took it out of the oven and dug in. If so, that is your problem!

Yup, left it on the counter for an hour, then it lived in the fridge until that evening.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

plasmoduck posted:

Boil them in water for about 10 minutes to remove some of the fat, then season+flour and bake em at 500 until your smoke alarm goes off

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hey guys, I've got some crab questions. Despite living in the bay area for the vast majority of my life, I've never actually bought and made fresh crab. That being said, I'm a bit confused about the whole process.

-If I want to stir-fry my crab (I was looking at this Vietnamese-style recipe with a tamarind sauce: http://www.phamfatale.com/id_935/title_Vietnamese-Tamarind-Sweet-Crab-Cua-Rang-Me/ ), do I have to kill the crab first before I start cleaning it? If I'm going to kill it, do I boil it, or is there some other way?
-On that recipe in particular, the cleaning directions make very little sense. I'm assuming it'll make a bit more sense once I have the crab in front of me?
-My dad is a bit of fussy eater, so I'm going to have to cook one traditionally for him. Any advice on how to boil one traditionally?
-When I go to the market, should I bring a plastic cooler full of water with me, or will the guys at the market set something up for me?

Apologies for the dumb questions; this is one aspect of cooking I have zero experience with. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

So because of my schedule, I was planning on making my Thanksgiving dinner tonight. I put the turkey in my brine solution last night using a portable cooler bag (like this) as the container, and then let it sit in my garage since my fridge was too full and it's in the 30s outside. Out of curiosity, I measured the temp in my garage this morning and it turns out my garage is about 52 degrees F.

I was expecting it to be much cooler in my garage, so I'm concerned about the turkey being spoiled now. It doesn't smell spoiled, and I think it should be ok since it was sitting in a brine solution, what with salt being used to prevent meat from spoiling for centuries, but I wanted a second or third opinion. Appreciate it.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Scientastic posted:

I have a few good canapé recipes that I can dig out if you're interested in any of them:

Caraway crispbreads topped with hummus and roasted beetroot
Mini crabcakes
Vegetable pakora
Crostini with goat's cheese and red onion marmalade
Pumpkin and basil filo parcels
Pizza marinara
Arancini

Oh awesome! Hmmm, the filo parcels sound really good, and the crispbreads. Actually it all sounds really good, but I'm trying to keep myself to a sensible amount of food this year!

Ironsolid posted:

Everything I serve at work includes;

Woah, this is brilliant too. Thanks a lot guys!

an overdue owl fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 29, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have a good lamb stew recipe? I was thinking of basically doing something like beef bourguignon but without the bacon unless anyone has a better idea

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have a good lamb stew recipe? I was thinking of basically doing something like beef bourguignon but without the bacon unless anyone has a better idea

I made this one recently and wasn't unhappy with it, but the sweet potatoes came out firmer than i like and would probably remake it again with russet potatoes instead.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Boil them in water for about 10 minutes to remove some of the fat, then season+flour and bake em at 500 until your smoke alarm goes off

Thanks, just tried this and it worked well! I just need to tweak the amount of seasoning/flour, but the crisp was nice.

Horrorclaus
Oct 10, 2008
Where I work, I have to cook for about 8 people, and whats on the menu for dinner tonight is "stew beef and mushroom gravy." The problem is I have stew beef, cream of mushroom soup, basic spices, and not much else; I'm not really sure what I could make.
I thought about making beef stroganoff without the noodles, but we don't have cream cheese or sour cream, and most of the other beef stew recipes I looked up contain a bunch of vegetables or onion soup mix, which I don't have.
Anyone have a basic slow cooker recipe or some tips for what I can do?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
If stew beef and cream of mushroom are seriously all you have (no veg, no noodles), and you absolutely cannot get anything else, you are pretty stuck. I mean, if you have vinegar or wine or butter / flour, you could punch up the flavors a bit, but there's no magical secret method that's gonna make those ingredients and no other ingredients taste suddenly not like themselves. You say "not much else" but a list would be really helpful, and it sounds like it might be a short one. Even just butter and flour means you could make biscuits or something, or egg and flour means you could make noodles if you want to put in that kind of effort.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 30, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Roommate's friend left this in the fridge.

I don't know anything about venison. Some basic research suggests a slow roast or stew and I'm down for either. I've heard conflicting advice to leave the fat while some say it tastes sour so I don't know.

Also is there a recommendation for cleaning the hair other than washing under water?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you guys not have a sink?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Do you guys not have a sink?

I just put it on the counter to take a picture unless you're saying to clean it in the sink which is what I'm asking.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

al-azad posted:

Roommate's friend left this in the fridge.

I don't know anything about venison. Some basic research suggests a slow roast or stew and I'm down for either. I've heard conflicting advice to leave the fat while some say it tastes sour so I don't know.

Also is there a recommendation for cleaning the hair other than washing under water?

I'd probably brown that and then braise it in a foil package. Leave the fat if you're slow cooking. That hair is not coming out by just rinsing it. Do you have a small torch? I'm serious; just singe it right off.
Otherwise you have to just pluck it out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

al-azad posted:

I just put it on the counter to take a picture unless you're saying to clean it in the sink which is what I'm asking.

I meant that rinsing it won't hurt it, worth a shot. If the hair is attached firmly then singe it off.

Horrorclaus
Oct 10, 2008
Thanks for the reply, and sorry about being so vague. We have eggs, milk, flour and margarine, but no vegetables. I do have rice which is supposed to be served with it, and I'm pretty sure I can manage to cook that without setting it on fire.
I ended up having a friend bring me some cream cheese and sour cream, and I'm making slow cooker been stroganoff with rice, so hopefully it turns out ok.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

I love Pálocleves, a Hungarian soup with mutton, potato, onion, green beans, garlic and a little paprika and thickened with sour cream. Very good. Look around for recipes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to cut the meat off the shoulder bone for the stew, should I stick the bone in the stew anyway?

I've got some paté that is vacuum sealed but has been in the fridge for a week or so. There is loads so I'd prefer to wait until lots of people will be round to use it. The use by date has another week to do, is there any problem with freezing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would say keeping the bone in a soup or stew is always a better idea than not doing it.